PDA

View Full Version : Get the running game going!!!

LL2
10-01-2007, 02:48 PM
This weekend would be a perfect time to finally get the running game going. Most likely the Bears and possibly future teams will not prepare that much for the running game because the Packers are the worst in the league in that category and for the most part the Packers have made the running game a non-factor. It would be a good time to catch a team off guard by game planning for it and using it around 45% of the time.

Carolina_Packer
10-01-2007, 02:52 PM
This weekend would be a perfect time to finally get the running game going. Most likely the Bears and possibly future teams will not prepare that much for the running game because the Packers are the worst in the league in that category and for the most part the Packers have made the running game a non-factor. It would be a good time to catch a team off guard by game planning for it and using it around 45% of the time.

I don't know about the percentages of plays idea, but I agree with your basic premise. So, if you are in Chicago-land, I can only imagine what they are saying about the Bears about now? What's it like being a Packer fan in enemy territory?

retailguy
10-01-2007, 02:54 PM
What's it like being a Packer fan in enemy territory?

It sucks, most of the time. This week has been OK. :wink:

Zool
10-01-2007, 02:58 PM
The natives are usually restless on this side of the Mississippi before the Dome game each year. This year they were mysteriously quiet.

Oh baby, back in Moss' rookie year, I got to work and everything I had was upside down and strewn with purple and gold streamers. That was a tough pill to swallow.

Joemailman
10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I think MM's gameplan will depend on what he is seeing in practice. If he sees improvement in the running game during the week, he'll probably run a bit more against the Bears. Weather could be a factor too.

Partial
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I bet they'll run upwards of 25ish times between all the guys.

MJZiggy
10-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I think MM's gameplan will depend on what he is seeing in practice. If he sees improvement in the running game during the week, he'll probably run a bit more against the Bears. Weather could be a factor too.

I think the results of the first one or two runs of the game will have a bearing on what he does for the rest of the game. If the line falls apart and we lose yardage, he may opt out of it again unless weather does become an issue.

LL2
10-01-2007, 03:24 PM

I don't know about the percentages of plays idea, but I agree with your basic premise. So, if you are in Chicago-land, I can only imagine what they are saying about the Bears about now? What's it like being a Packer fan in enemy territory?

Last year it wasn't to fun dealing with the Bears fan, but this year they are quiet. Most Bears fans are happy Grossman was benched. It was fun cheering for the Colts and watching Bears fans in misery after the SB loss!

Partial - I hope your right and they run around 25 times this weekend.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 03:35 PM

I think the results of the first one or two runs of the game will have a bearing on what he does for the rest of the game. If the line falls apart and we lose yardage, he may opt out of it again unless weather does become an issue.

I concur. I will add that MM will try to run four to five times per quarter, pending on how many drives we have per quarter, but, if we can get good gains on 1st down, that will be the key to the game, because it makes second down impossible for the defense to know what's coming. It is imperative that we get 6,7, or 8 yards on 1st down. If we can do that, we have a good chance in this game. If we go into 2nd and 3rd down with 7 or more yards consistently, we play right into the Bears hands, and it will be tough to win. I say, spread 'em out from play one, use the tight ends, rbs, and receivers to get those 1st down yards and then play with the running game. MM seems to have no problem with that so far, I hope that's the gameplan Sunday Night.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
BTW, IMO, the Colts really don't have that good of a running game, and Addai isn't all that great a back. He is average at best. The passing game is SO daunting, it makes it easy to run. The defensive lineman are in constant "get to Manning" mode, and it opens up huge gaps. That's why the rookie averaged almost 7 yards a carry in the season opener when Addai was knocked out on the first play. But, Manning has the respect of the LONG ball, so they can't bring up their back 7. This is the difference, IMO, as to why our passing game hasn't opened up the run game. We need to establish downfield dominance, not just short passes. Everyone is still hovering 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. It makes it impossible to run with all those defenders so close, as if it weren't hard enough with this offensive line that, well, isn't as dominating as I hoped they'd be at this point. They are much less cohesive then I expected, and I think we may need to make some changes. Colledge better get his shit together, cuz he gets beat a lot. Badly. Don't even get me started on Coston. I just hope it's their youth, and they start getting it together.

One last thing, our running backs have no idea how to cut back. I swear, I rewind so many run plays and rewatch them screaming, Oh, my god, stop, and turn and go the other way, there's nothing but daylight, it's like the coaches tell them they have to hit a hole "inside the line" and can't swing it out. Frustrating.

The Leaper
10-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Go with what works. The Bears are beat up on defense, so I would prefer to keep doing what is working and let Favre carve them up. Get a lead and let the DL have a field day going after Griese.

The Leaper
10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
We need to establish downfield dominance, not just short passes. Everyone is still hovering 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. It makes it impossible to run with all those defenders so close, as if it weren't hard enough with this offensive line that, well, isn't as dominating as I hoped they'd be at this point.

I agree. As much as I like Jennings and Jones, neither is a guy that will consistently beat their man deep on speed alone. The game plan has to start using counters to the crossing patterns that teams will be focused to stop. We need to incorporate some double moves and continue to attack the middle of the field with the TEs to keep the LBs honest.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 04:11 PM
We need to establish downfield dominance, not just short passes. Everyone is still hovering 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. It makes it impossible to run with all those defenders so close, as if it weren't hard enough with this offensive line that, well, isn't as dominating as I hoped they'd be at this point.

I agree. As much as I like Jennings and Jones, neither is a guy that will consistently beat their man deep on speed alone. The game plan has to start using counters to the crossing patterns that teams will be focused to stop. We need to incorporate some double moves and continue to attack the middle of the field with the TEs to keep the LBs honest.

Excellent point, and announcers during the game are saying things like "they know what's coming, yet, they can't stop it" and that's not true. That's why I started a thread about how well our TE's have been doing this year. Without Lee and Bubba making plays, the short routes wouldn't be working. Now, if we can get our damn line to block and get Morency or Jackson or SOMEBODY out there too, it makes it even harder for the LB's and DB's to cover everyone, and there will always be an outlet somewhere. The offensive line is key, and they need to get their collective shit together.

The Leaper
10-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Morency will be a big addition...simply as another receiving threat out of the backfield. He's clearly not close to 100% yet, but he will be important in the second half of this season if this team wants to make a run.

I'm not seeing much of anything from Grant in terms of running or receiving that thrills me. Morency has the tools to be a solid RB in the league...he just has to get healthy and remain healthy, which certainly isn't something we should hold our breath on.

At least Favre's ability to utilize pump fakes and not lock onto one receiver helps in keeping the defense honest.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Morency will be a big addition...simply as another receiving threat out of the backfield. He's clearly not close to 100% yet, but he will be important in the second half of this season if this team wants to make a run.

I'm not seeing much of anything from Grant in terms of running or receiving that thrills me. Morency has the tools to be a solid RB in the league...he just has to get healthy and remain healthy, which certainly isn't something we should hold our breath on.

At least Favre's ability to utilize pump fakes and not lock onto one receiver helps in keeping the defense honest.

Is that a pun? 8-)

Maxie the Taxi
10-01-2007, 05:16 PM
One last thing, our running backs have no idea how to cut back. I swear, I rewind so many run plays and rewatch them screaming, Oh, my god, stop, and turn and go the other way, there's nothing but daylight, it's like the coaches tell them they have to hit a hole "inside the line" and can't swing it out. Frustrating.

I was listening to the game on national radio and Dan Reeves, the color commentator, made the same comment. He said on one particular play that Morency could have went all the way if he had cut back.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
LeRoy Butler

Q: Are the Packers risking a letdown by not running the ball? What happens when the weather gets cold and conditions are bad, aren't they going to need to run the ball then?

A: No, I think the Packers are smart. You play to your strengths, which is Brett Favre. Right now he's the No. 1 quarterback; he's 1A with Tom Brady. You play to your strengths. OK, the Packers didn't get a running back, but at the same time you play to your strengths. You put five wides out there and let people cover them. I know everybody is complaining about the running game, but I'd rather complain about it with the victories. I don't want to take away from these victories, complaining about our running game. So I think the fans should look at it, it is what it is. The Packers are winning right now, be very happy. Look at it this way, you could be Chicago coming into Lambeau 1-3 in jeopardy of falling four games out. They're supposed to have a running game.

I'm going to add onto that question: Do you think a team without a running game can go to a Super Bowl? I say yes. In the past, teams a la Baltimore with Trent Dilfer went with no passing game. Or you could also go the Super Bowl with just a passing game and no running game a la the New England Patriots. It can happen.

As for the winter, go back and think about your strength. Brett Favre is the best bad-weather quarterback to ever play the game. With the receivers developing the way they are I think it's going to be interesting to see those guys position themselves on defensive backs in the winter.

Now let's not kid ourselves, the Packers are going to have to find a way to generate between 80 and 100 yards to be respectable. You wonder why Ryan Grant was in the game to be able to fumble. What the Packers are trying to do is establish a guy in that part of the game that they can go to. I'm not sure it will be him, but they have to try to establish somebody.

b bulldog
10-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I sure hope we can get some kind of a running game because if we don't, it will haunt us in the big games that are looming.

3irty1
10-01-2007, 10:57 PM
He said that he's going to keep doing this until it stops working. I bet we rush less than 15 times. I also bet at least 5 of them are audibled into.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2007, 11:03 PM
This weekend would be a perfect time to finally get the running game going.

:idea: Why didn't McCarthy think of this!?

the_idle_threat
10-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Cuz he's not paid the big bucks like we are.

Carolina_Packer
10-02-2007, 12:15 AM

Cuz he's not paid the big bucks like we are.

He did, he's just not giving it up during game week. What a strategist!