PDA

View Full Version : Scary Good

Partial
10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
New England has done this without Rodney Harrison (very overrated and not great anymore), their starting strong safety, and then Richard Seymore (one of the best overall linemen in the league). That is just a crazy thought.

That team is scary good. They are only going to get better as well.

Packnut
10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
New England has done this without Rodney Harrison (very overrated and not great anymore), their starting strong safety, and then Richard Seymore (one of the best overall linemen in the league). That is just a crazy thought.

They did spend all that cash very wisely. I love em, cause they have been a covering machine.

Deputy Nutz
10-02-2007, 02:39 PM
They are a very good run organization, from top to bottom. They know how to manage a budget and get the most out of their players and coaches.

retailguy
10-02-2007, 02:44 PM

Their free agent moves were way too expensive, and will set the team up for a disaster in futue cap years. Moss is a cancer who is going to destroy that lockerroom in the middle of the season.

All you have to do is look at the 2007 GBP and KNOW how to build a team. You need 47 draft choices each year.

It's really clear. The Pats will fall on their face by mid-season.

DISCLAIMER

The preceeding post is meant as satirical humor by a member of packerrats who has been accused of being negative. In the spirit of disclosure, it should be made perfectly clear that the negative poster has a very satirical streak in him, and he views the above post as very funny. If you are a member of the majority viewpoint of this forum and find this viewpoint objectionable, you are encouraged to respond quite voiciferously, multiple times, using every example, adjective, prior post, and confirmed opinion to refute it. Many others will in fact "pile on" about your negative perspective, your bewildering hatred of Ted Thompson, and your disdain for the best 4-0 team to have ever walked the planet.

Should you be confused about what I actually meant above, it was and is a satirical response to all the "know it alls" who criticized ANY heavy spending in the 2007 free agency period. It is widely known that the NE Patriots were big participants in this period, after having not utilized "big spending" contracts previously. It is an attempt to contrast the activities of the GBP who essentially shunned free agency in 2007, and largely built through the draft.

Or, alternatively, you could laugh lightly and move on. Your choice. :wink:

SkinBasket
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM

Yes. Very good. Insult this self-labeled majority then tell them to lighten up and move on. Is that satirical too?

Deputy Nutz
10-02-2007, 02:54 PM
He probably pissed in the punch bowl as well.

RIPackerFan
10-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I am tempering my impressions with the reality of their opponents. Not that this is not a very good team, but Buffalo and the Jets look like the bottom of the league - SD is in shambles - and Cincy is a poor D team - and you add the injuries - they weren't that good.

They are beating the teams that they should be - however, before I crown them, I want to see them against some good teams - Dallas and Indy games will be very telling. If they destroy those teams, ain't nobody catching them, but if those games are close - who knows.

retailguy
10-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Yes. Very good. Insult this self-labeled majority then tell them to lighten up and move on. Is that satirical too?

I suppose so Skin. Or, it could just be tongue in cheek humor.

Your choice. Take it as you wish. :roll:

Deputy Nutz
10-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I am tempering my impressions with the reality of their opponents. Not that this is not a very good team, but Buffalo and the Jets look like the bottom of the league - SD is in shambles - and Cincy is a poor D team - and you add the injuries - they weren't that good.

They are beating the teams that they should be - however, before I crown them, I want to see them against some good teams - Dallas and Indy games will be very telling. If they destroy those teams, ain't nobody catching them, but if those games are close - who knows.

You can say this about all the 4-0 teams right now accept maybe INDY.

SkinBasket
10-02-2007, 03:12 PM

You obviously didn't understand the satirically sarcastic double entendric nature of my internet forum post.

retailguy
10-02-2007, 03:21 PM

You obviously didn't understand the satirically sarcastic double entendric nature of my internet forum post.

Perhaps you should add a disclaimer? The packerrats "forum ettiquette" person schooled me on it earlier today. You wouldn't want anyone to take what you said in a manner not consistent with how you intended it. Pretty soon that'll lead to you being viewed as I am - negative with a bad attitude. Help me spare you that pain.

SkinBasket
10-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Perhaps you should add a disclaimer?

You'll have to forgive me for not taking your advice on disclaimers.

RIPackerFan
10-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Deputy Nutz - that is exactly my point. Indy is the only team that has beat some decent teams.

New England's wins came against opponents with a combined win total of
4. Dallas' wins came against opponents whose combined wins total 3.
Green Bay has done only slightly better, with opponents having 5 wins,
while Indy has done the best with opponents with a win total of 6.

GB probably has beaten 3 teams in the lower third of the league
(Philly, Chargers, Vikings), while beating one team in the middle third
(Giants). Dallas' wins came against three teams in the lower third
(Miami, Chicago, and St. Louis - with Miami and St. Louis probably
ranked dead last) with only one team in the middle third (Giants). The
Patriots have beaten 4 teams probably all in the lower third.

Indy is the only team with some quality wins - one win came against a
lower third team (New Orleans), two wins from a middle tier (Denver and Houston) and one wins against top third team (Tennessee).

So far, Indy's wins have been most impressive. The rest are wins the teams should beat.

SkinBasket
10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
The rest are wins the teams should beat.

It's kind of hard to make that determination, though, when the "teams you should beat" change from one week to the next. Certainly you wouldn't have called PHI and SD teams the Packers should beat 4 weeks ago.

HarveyWallbangers
10-02-2007, 03:40 PM
3 or 4 games is too small of a sample to know whether the teams you played are good or bad (or whether you are even good or bad). I suspect some of these 1-3 teams get on a roll, and vice versa.

3irty1
10-02-2007, 03:45 PM
3 or 4 games is too small of a sample to know whether the teams you played are good or bad (or whether you are even good or bad). I suspect some of these 1-3 teams get on a roll, and vice versa.

Exactly, who would have thought we would sweep all of our division games last year after getting crushed week 1 by the bears. Teams can turn it around. The chargers will still probobly win their division.

RIPackerFan
10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
And the exact opposite can happen - one of the 4-0 teams can stumble from this point forward - and while the Pats seems to have been doing well, when I look who they beat beat - those are probably the weakest set of opponents of all the 4-0 teams.

retailguy
10-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Perhaps you should add a disclaimer?

You'll have to forgive me for not taking your advice on disclaimers.

No problem. It was just a suggestion. Sooner or later someone else will make a suggestion, maybe you'll like that one better.

Good chatting with you. :P

retailguy
10-02-2007, 04:13 PM
And the exact opposite can happen - one of the 4-0 teams can stumble from this point forward - and while the Pats seems to have been doing well, when I look who they beat beat - those are probably the weakest set of opponents of all the 4-0 teams.

I think most every season one of the 4-0 teams stumbles. I seem to remember Indianapolis going 11-0? one year and finishing 3rd seed and losing in the 1st round of the playoffs, or maybe second. Didn't something similar happen to KC too a while back?

And then there was San Diego last year - 14-2 with home field advantage losing in the 1st round of the playoffs to NE who lost to Indy... then they start the new season 1-3 along with the Bears.

It'll happen. To whom? We shall see... I don't think it'll be New England, but then again, I never thought the Packers would be 4-0, so what the hell do I know? :?:

The Leaper
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
NE has looked impressive...but we won't be able to accurately measure them until they play teams like Indy and Dallas. They've pounded four different ONE WIN teams right now. Big whoop.

MJZiggy
10-02-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the hope...cause when we play them in the SB again, I know the result will be the same!!! :lol:

Jimx29
10-02-2007, 04:26 PM
14-2 isn't all that scary to me

Bretsky
10-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Randy Moss looks truly amazing; it looks like the right surroundings have allowed him to rejuvinate his career.

IMO, these are the right surroundings for Randy Moss

1. A winning atmosphere (moss often turns sour when the team is doing poorly)
2. An environment with a strong willed QB who takes to Moss so Moss does not have to be the top leader.

TT was smart to express interest in Moss; he would have thrived in NE and GB IMO.

Adelius Thomas was also a very nice free agency pickup for the Patriots.

They were going to be a very solid team w/o free agency
With the way they utilized it they are quite dominant at this point

HarveyWallbangers
10-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Why does everything have to get back to what a team did in free agency? The other AFC team that is 4-0 (and the defending Super Bowl champions) didn't have one FA starter on their team. There are different ways to build a championship team. Green Bay has two FA starters (Pickett and Woodson). That's more than Indianapolis and less than New England.

Rastak
10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Why does everything have to get back to what a team did in free agency? The other AFC team that is 4-0 (and the defending Super Bowl champions) didn't have one FA starter on their team. There are different ways to build a championship team. Green Bay has two FA starters (Pickett and Woodson). That's more than Indianapolis and less than New England.

I think because it's way number 2 to build a team. Draft = 1 FA = 2.

HarveyWallbangers
10-02-2007, 09:50 PM

You can, but the last two Super Bowl teams probably had 2 big-name FAs combined as starters. Other teams have signed FAs and it hasn't led to success (Washington, even Minnesota). San Francisco was the media darlings this offseason. They looked like a rising team who added a bunch of big-name FAs, and they are lucky not to be 0-4. They don't look good. I just don't get the fixation on the FAs. Most teams win because the young players they develop become good players (usually in the same year). It's kind of like the Brew Crew in baseball. Randy Moss is doing great in New England. I'm not convinced he would have done great elsewhere--even Green Bay. New England had a great team, and credit them for the Adalius Thomas pickup. That was a great move. Those obviously help--just like Charles Woodson helped the Pack. However, it's been proven that, more times than not, big-name FAs end up being disappointments.

Rastak
10-02-2007, 09:55 PM

You can, but the last two Super Bowl teams probably had 2 big-name FAs combined as starters. Other teams have signed FAs and it hasn't led to success (Washington, even Minnesota). San Francisco was the media darlings this offseason. They looked like a rising team who added a bunch of big-name FAs, and they are lucky not to be 0-4. They don't look good. I just don't get the fixation on the FAs. Most teams win because the young players they develop become good players (usually in the same year). It's kind of like the Brew Crew in baseball. Randy Moss is doing great in New England. I'm not convinced he would have done great elsewhere--even Green Bay. New England had a great team, and credit them for the Adalius Thomas pickup. That was a great move. Those obviously help--just like Charles Woodson helped the Pack. However, it's been proven that, more times than not, big-name FAs end up being disappointments.

I agree on the big name free agents, it's usually the mid tier guys that seem to contribute. But sometimes the top guys do, but it's rare. You mentioned Woodson, I agree he was a key addiiton. Winfield and P Williams were guys like that. Big time contributors that were signed as FAs.

I just think it shouldn't be ignored, nor counted on as a savior, like the Redskins and to a lesser extent the Vikes seemed to treat them.

RashanGary
10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
FA's are fine if you are taking yoru shot and you know that's what it is. If you sign a couple FA's, it hits your pocket book and then you are stuck looking for his replacement in 3 or 4 years.

The Patriots know they are close. They were willing to do whatever it took to win one more. Tampa did that a few years ago by giving up the farm for Gruden. They won, then they faded into oblivion.

If you have the base in place, it can work (as long as you hit). If you don't hit, you lose your window and it's over like with the Packers a couple years back. If you do hit, you might win the SB. Sometimes it's a risk worth taking if you have a bunch of pieces that are ready now, but the window is closing fast. Like with everything GM, you have to evaluate the talent right. Also, with FA's, there is an age factor so you have to get lucky to keep your guys healthy. It's risky, but there are times that it is worth the risk. The Patriots seem to have done it right but they still have to dodge the age gauntlet.

The Packers a few years back did not succeed. Had Joe Johnson panned out, we might have another SB to remember. Sherman had the base, he took a shot and failed. That is part of the risk though. Thompsons approach will give many, many years of taking shots rather than one big boom or bust year. NE and Indy have had this approach untill this year when NE got off the wagon. I think it's better because you don't depend so much on that one lucky season. It might work for NE, but I'm still glad we are doing it the way that most teams find success. There mgiht be a day when us taking some high risk shots will be the right move again, but they have to be the right shots. It can't be forced. It has to sort of come. The Patriots got perfect pieces for their team. They are taking a shot, but it's the right players at the right time.

Partial
10-02-2007, 10:25 PM

Agreed. I think the Bears are one of them.

Partial
10-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Why does everything have to get back to what a team did in free agency?

*sigh* I agree with you

esoxx
10-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Moss is a beast. I said he was still a top five WR last year. You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him. :x :)

swede
10-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Moss is a beast. I said he was still a top five WR last year. You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him. :x :)

Or wait until he stops himself by doing something stupid, followed by a Bill Bellichek ream-out, followed by the press sticking a microphone in Randy's face...

It's gonna happen, Bill is going to regret it, maybe not now, but soon...and for the rest of his life.