PDA

View Full Version : AFC is better myth

CaliforniaCheez
10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
ESPN, hometown network of the Patriots, keeps saying the AFC is better.

Yet, in interconference games each conference has won 8 and lost 8.
Sounds like parity to me.

Look at the current top teams.

The Patriots have not faced an NFC team yet. (Okay they will only face the NFC East.) Denver hasn't faced an NFC team either. Indianapolis has faced the Saints. Pittsburg won over the 49'ers but lost to the Cardinals. The Titans beat the Saints and Jaguars defeated the Falcons.

In the NFC the Cowboys have beaten Miami, The Packers have beaten San Diego, Seattle has beaten Cincinnati. Tampa Bay has not played an AFC team. Current wild card Detroit beat Oakland and Washington beat Miami.

I don't see it as clear cut as the propaganda being spewed from East Coast media outlets.

RashanGary
10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
NE and Indy are far better than Greenbay and Dallas though.

Throughout, it's probably even but on the very top the AFC dominates. The top is all ESPN cares about so that might explain the bias.

BallHawk
10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I do think that the gap has closed, but I think the best of the AFC is better than the best of the NFC. As of now the two best in the AFC are the Colts and the Pats. The best in the NFC are the Pack and the Cowboys. I would take both AFC teams over both NFC teams.

As for the lesser teams, you can make an argument there, but I still believe that the AFC has more potential playoff teams than the NFC.

Bretsky
10-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Indy and NE are above the rest

After that the AFC and NFC are about equal

Freak Out
10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Indy and NE are above the rest

After that the AFC and NFC are about equal

Hey...Indy beat the fucking Bears in the SB! The Bears! ...and not by that great a margin so the AFC can't be that much better.

Rastak
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM

The Patriots have not faced an NFC team yet. (Okay they will only face the NFC East.) Denver hasn't faced an NFC team either. Indianapolis has faced the Saints. Pittsburg won over the 49'ers but lost to the Cardinals. The Titans beat the Saints and Jaguars defeated the Falcons.

In the NFC the Cowboys have beaten Miami, The Packers have beaten San Diego, Seattle has beaten Cincinnati. Tampa Bay has not played an AFC team. Current wild card Detroit beat Oakland and Washington beat Miami.

I don't see it as clear cut as the propaganda being spewed from East Coast media outlets.

Better this year or the last five years? This year is too early, last five it isn't even up for discussion.

retailguy
10-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Better this year or the last five years? This year is too early, last five it isn't even up for discussion.

Are you kidding? With these guys ANYTHING is possible.

HarveyWallbangers
10-02-2007, 09:31 PM

You are correct. Right now, Colts and Patriots are clearly the best. I do think the rest has evened up a bit. Look at the rest of the teams in the AFC. There aren't that many good teams. Pittsburgh might be the next best team. Denver, Cincinnati, San Diego have all been disappointments.

The Leaper
10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
You are correct. Right now, Colts and Patriots are clearly the best. I do think the rest has evened up a bit. Look at the rest of the teams in the AFC. There aren't that many good teams. Pittsburgh might be the next best team. Denver, Cincinnati, San Diego have all been disappointments.

I'll take Tampa right now over any of the 3-16 teams in the AFC...maybe Seattle as well.

A big test to their hypothesis will come this week in the Steeler/Seahawk game. If Seattle wins, then I think the NFC can actually be labeled the deeper conference, even if the AFC's top 2 remain more dominant.