PDA

View Full Version : Verba in GB: update, after minicamp TT feels ok at OG

motife
05-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Update :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=421731

This is from Bob McGinn in the Journal today. After the minicamp, the interest in Verba appears to have waned :

"Standing pat: Don't look for the Packers to add a veteran offensive lineman. They recently worked out a familiar face, former Packer Ross Verba, and have discussed former Saint guard Kendyl Jacox.

Verba, 32, sat out last season after being waived by Cleveland on June 9. He demanded more money. When the Browns wouldn't deliver, they cut him.

"We had him in for a visit," Thompson said. "I won't get into it other than to say he looked fine."

Verba generally started at left tackle from 2001-'04, although he missed all of '03 with a torn biceps. He was the Packers' left tackle from 1997-'99 and their left guard in 2000.

Thompson appeared to be relatively pleased with the Packers' situation at guard after the minicamp.

"I think we're going to have some interesting competition," he said. "We wanted to try to get some competition going.

"(Daryn) Colledge looked all right. He got better every day, which is kind of what you want to see from young guys. He's a tough guy and he's smart. Same with Spitz.

"We've always looked at Tony Moll as more of a tackle. He's very gifted athletically.""

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25919499.shtml
Packers take another look at Verba
By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Ross Verba might be back in the NFL this year, and there’s a chance it could be with the team that drafted him, the Green Bay Packers.

Verba, 32, an offensive lineman who was the Packers’ first-round draft pick in 1997, was out of football last year but has talked to several teams about returning this season.

He recently worked out for the Packers, but apparently has not been offered a contract. Despite the year’s layoff, Verba looked more than capable of playing.

The Packers are interested in Verba as a potential starter at guard, where they have two open jobs.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s an athletic guy. Very athletic guy,” said offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, who was the Packers’ tight ends coach during Verba’s final two seasons in Green Bay, 1999 and 2000. “A little bit older guy, but the (scouts) wanted to bring him in and see what he looked like. I think he’s still got something in him.”

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound Verba is the smaller, more athletic kind of lineman the Packers want for their new zone-blocking scheme. They don’t appear to have major concerns about Verba’s conditioning after the year off. He has started 100 of 106 games over eight seasons.

At this weekend’s minicamp, second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge is starting at left guard, and second-year pro Junius Coston is starting at right guard. Other candidates are Will Whitticker, who started 14 games at right guard as a rookie last season but probably lacks the mobility to win that job in the zone-blocking scheme; Kevin Barry, a fifth-year pro who’s battling a weight problem; and Jason Spitz, a third-round draft pick.

A friend of Verba’s, Dr. D.S. Ping, said there’s genuine interest from Verba and the Packers.

Arizona and Tampa Bay also are interested in Verba, who wants to sign in the next week or two so he can get some offseason work with a team before training camp opens in July.

Ping, an NFL agent, doesn’t represent Verba but talks to him regularly.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s ready to play a couple more years,” Ping said Saturday. “He just got tired of being in Cleveland.”

Verba played tackle for the Packers from 1997 to 2000 but left in free agency because former coach Mike Sherman moved him to guard. He played for the Browns from 2001 to 2004, then sat out last year after the Browns’ new management refused to upgrade his contract, which he said the previous regime had promised.

Verba wanted out of Cleveland so badly that he repaid a $465,000 roster bonus and walked away from a $2.925 million salary so he could become a free agent. However, he miscalculated his worth. When he didn’t get any contract offers he considered adequate, he decided not to play last year.

Instead, coming off a divorce, he made news and gossip columns during his year off with a major change to a fast-lane, party-oriented lifestyle.

If General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy decide Verba will fit in with the Packers, they could make a run at signing him.

Verba’s year out of football leaves him with relatively little contract leverage. It’s unclear whether he’ll come back for a bargain-rate deal loaded with incentives or insist on a more substantial signing bonus. If Verba is adamant about the latter, he could be difficult to sign.

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/3880/verba22yd.jpg

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/19/192950.jpg

http://www.tothenextlevel.org/images/layout/misc/verba_ross_test.jpg

MadtownPacker
05-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Pull the trigger TT!!!! This move could mean making the playoffs. At this point Verba would fill the need I am most worried about.

KYPack
05-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Sign him.

We need lineman and Verbs can fill in until one of the young guys is ready.

I've always felt Ross was frozen out by the leagues "suits" because of his contract buy-out. The GM's don't want to reward a guy who tells an organization to get screwed (Ignore the TO deal here).

I think Verbs was a victim of collusion.

mraynrand
05-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey if Verba signs that would be AWESOME! Party at Verba's house!!! He won't be there, but there will be plenty 'o wine, women and whiskey!

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey if Verba signs that would be AWESOME! Party at Verba's house!!! He won't be there, but there will be plenty 'o wine, women and whiskey!

I AGREE.

And sign him if we can; he's always been a solid player but with a me first attitude. If he can come in here with an improved attitude he'd be worth the shot and in all probability our best OG.

RashanGary
05-07-2006, 12:17 PM
He's a vet. He's seen action. He knows the game.

He may be in shape but he's probably not in great shape. He's an ass hole.

With that being said, he would be a great addition to the line and IMO a prime canidate to replace Klemm. I don't think the Packers want to keep too many older stop gaps around because they probably want to keep room for Spitz, Coston, White ect.....

If he's in really good shape like the article suggests, he would be a perfect fit for our scheme and an instant huge upgrade over any rookie or first year guy. One rookie on the line each year is more than enough.

Tarlam!
05-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Character Alarm ringing my head off!!!

http://www.accessstock.com/images/catalog/70062309.jpg

Joemailman
05-07-2006, 12:24 PM
If Verba has something left, this would be a logical move. Although I think Colledge and Coston have bright futures, I have been a little nervous about possibly starting two guards who have no NFL starting experience at all.

oregonpackfan
05-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Character Alarm ringing my head off!!!

http://www.accessstock.com/images/catalog/70062309.jpg

I would have to agree with Tarlam considering the divorce, party life style, me-first, team-second attitude.

TT and McCarthy need to examine if this guy is worth the disruption to the locker room and sideline if they sign Verba.

Oregonpackfan

Patler
05-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Could make an interesting decision for GB, if Verba is willing to receive a paycheck for being a backup, and starting guards are found among the others.

A backup LT is an important position. So what do you do?

Klemm seems like an adequate backup at LT, but is marginally effective as a backup at guard. Reportedly, Klemm is a great guy.

Verba was a starting LT for years, and not a bad one at that. He started one year at guard and did well there too. Reportedly he is a jerk.

Do you keep Verba and let Klemm go?

RashanGary
05-07-2006, 12:29 PM
That is my exact issue. Coston might be good and it might be sooner than later but I don't want to find out right now. He was extremely raw as a rookie and got drafted primarily on his athletic ability. Even if he got his technique to a point that was much better than it originally was, it's still probably not much better than a rookie who came in polished like Colledge.

I think we're fine, lining Colledge up next to Clifton. They are both very smart players and will probably learn to play together quickly. I do have a problem sticking Coston, a project, in at RG to get beat up and man handled by the DT's in our league. Let's give Coston one more year to learn the system and become reliable. We have a ton of young lineman learning and growing. One stopgap vet in this case is well worht it if it prevents 2 or 3 QB pressures per game and opens up the run lanes.

RashanGary
05-07-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't know that Verba woudl be "just a back up". He has the experience and the desired build to play gaurd in this scheme. I can't imagine a savvy vet just exiting his prime cannot beat out a second year project.

I think you keep Verba and cut Klemm. That is my initial guess.

Joemailman
05-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Someone please refresh my memory about Verba. I remember him as a guy who was disliked by other teams because of things he did, but was he a disruptive force in his own locker room? I know he left because he didn't want to play guard, but I thought that was a career decision. Offensive Left tackles make more money than Guards. Lots of guys would have done the same thing.

Packers4Ever
05-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Could make an interesting decision for GB, if Verba is willing to receive a paycheck for being a backup, and starting guards are found among the others.

Klemm seems like an adequate backup at LT, but is marginally effective as a backup at guard. Reportedly, Klemm is a great guy.

Verba was a starting LT for years, and not a bad one at that. He started one year at guard and did well there too. Reportedly he is a jerk.

Hmmmm Sham, I think TT and M3 would have Verba in mind for a starting guard. Why let more precious time pass, plus he hasn't lost a whole lot of playing time since he left GB.
Yep, I think Klemm would be out.

Patler
05-07-2006, 02:10 PM
I agree they may want Verba as a starter, my hypothetical was what to do if he does not become the starter but is willing to stay as a backup. Then what do you do?

Maybe the answer is if he doesn't win a starting guard spot you release him. But even as a backup he may have more value and be more versatile than Klemm. That is what could cause a dilemma.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2006, 02:17 PM
I think it's going to hurt a little if we have to cut him, as I think there will be a signing bonus involved.

Joemailman
05-07-2006, 02:26 PM
I think it's going to hurt a little if we have to cut him, as I think there will be a signing bonus involved.

If TT cuts Klemm before June, cap hit is 400,000. Cut after June it is 600,000. If TT keeps him, Klemm counts 1.6 mil against the cap.

GrnBay007
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Jeez, whatever they decide to do, lets hope it's the right thing to straighten up that slight problem they had with the OL.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM

If TT cuts Klemm before June, cap hit is 400,000. Cut after June it is 600,000. If TT keeps him, Klemm counts 1.6 mil against the cap.

I was talking about Verba. But this is interesting too. I can't imagine that Verba won't command a signing bonus.

Packers4Ever
05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I agree they may want Verba as a starter, my hypothetical was what to do if he does not become the starter but is willing to stay as a backup. Then what do you do?

Maybe the answer is if he doesn't win a starting guard spot you release him. But even as a backup he may have more value and be more versatile than Klemm. That is what could cause a dilemma.

I guess a veteran backup guard is better than none at all but I don't think that's what Verba is looking for, maybe a nice juicy contract? I would think he'd be the starter and younger guy/rookie would be backup, IMHO ?? And what does GB want/need?

Patler
05-07-2006, 03:10 PM
We have no way of knowing what Verba wants or is willing to settle for. A year away, with no interest from anyone sometimes makes players willing to take whatever they can get. In Verba's case, he may have a chance to win a starting spot, but may not win it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-07-2006, 03:22 PM
We got tackles and backup tackles up the butt.

Sign Verba ONLY if he can be a starter at guard for 2005. Pay him like a vet starter, obviously, but make it possible to cut him if he doesn't win the starting job by a clear margin.

Patler
05-07-2006, 03:29 PM
We got tackles and backup tackles up the butt.

Sign Verba ONLY if he can be a starter at guard for 2005. Pay him like a vet starter, obviously, but make it possible to cut him if he doesn't win the starting job by a clear margin.

But who are the backup guards? A value that Verba brings, that Wolf always looked for, is a guy that could backup at two positions. Verba would do that better than Klemm.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I guess it depends on whether they are that high on Coston, Barry, Colledge, Spitz, Wells, White, etc. If they feel they can get three interior starters among this group, then move on. If not, sign him, but then one the youngsters will get cut.

Harlan Huckleby
05-07-2006, 04:27 PM
I assume Verba wants starter money.

You don't hear about vets returning to NFL to be backups very often.

MadtownPacker
05-07-2006, 04:29 PM
So was Verba in GB after all?

Patler
05-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I assume Verba wants starter money.

You don't hear about vets returning to NFL to be backups very often.

Sure you do. The ones who are away voluntarily for a year or two come back just to be part of the team and contribute again. (See Deion Sanders)

Hard to say what Verba wants. He is coming hat-in-hand asking for a job. Even at the vets minimum he could make something around $800,000. After a year away, he might be happy to do that again. Las Vegas can be expensive!

Packers4Ever
05-07-2006, 08:37 PM
So was Verba in GB after all?

Mad, I still haven't seen a confirmation that he's in GB, has been there, or is planning to arrive soon. Hope it isn't a hoax, he sure could be valuable to us!

Packers4Ever
05-07-2006, 08:42 PM

Sham, please see Motife's post at the top of this thread. Pack is interested in Verba as a starter at guard position, 2 spots open there....

Patler
05-07-2006, 09:20 PM

Sham, please see Motife's post at the top of this thread. Pack is interested in Verba as a starter at guard position, 2 spots open there....

Good golly, how many times do I have to say this? I know they might be interested in him as a starting guard. That doesn't mean he will be the starter. They could sign him in May, and not have him win the job in August.

I was posing a "what if" for a situation where he does not win the job, but would stay as a backup. IF that were to happen, and if his salary wasn't outrageous, I was questioning if you keep the nice guy. less versatile Klemm, or the more versatile reportedly not so nice guy Verba.

The Packers signed Klemm to be a starting guard last year, O'Dwyer too. Klemm is now a backup tackle and O'Dwyer is history. What you want a player for, and what he really becomes are not always the same thing. See also Little, Freeman, Raynoch Thompson, Luchey and many others who were signed to be starters and either stayed as backups or were let go immediately.

I was hoping to get peoples opinions about the merits of Verba as a backup in comparison to Klemm. But I guess most want to beat on me for "not knowing" GB might be interested in him as a starting guard. So be it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Verba made pretty good money in his last contract.

a vet ain't coming to GB for a last shot at a Super Bowl, I assume he wants starter money. If Verba couldn't win a starting job, given our weak situation at guard, he probably is over the hill.

Chester Marcol
05-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I see what you're saying Shamrockfan and you put it the only way you can, hypatheticaly because of the big unknowns which is what Verba really is thinking and what, if anything he was told by the Packers and not what the media has reported(the most reliable source). Does he want to go to a team and fill the role he has earned or is he thinking he's a sure starter who desserves starter money and if neither of those 2 things are met, he'll turn into a problem?? Is he the guy who bolted because he was moved to guard then bolted the Browns because he was promised a contract rework OR does he become a Sanders type player and happily take on whatever role is best for the team.

Does it really sound like Thompsons/McCarthy style to promise a player who has been off for a year a starting job? If they did say they were bringing him in to be a starter, would you expect them to say anything less? Of course they want a player they bring into camp at a position that we desperately need to be a starter but I would hope he was also told he would still have to earn that starting spot just like everyone else. No guarantees. Not the most uncommon thing in football to be brought to camp as a starter but by game one not even be on the team. If he comes in knowing that he may be a back up, then I like this pickup. If he is still the player he was, then it's a huge upgrade over Klemm. Hypathetically.

motife
05-08-2006, 11:48 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=421731

This is from Bob McGinn in the Journal today. After the minicamp, the interest in Verba appears to have waned :

"Standing pat: Don't look for the Packers to add a veteran offensive lineman. They recently worked out a familiar face, former Packer Ross Verba, and have discussed former Saint guard Kendyl Jacox.

Verba, 32, sat out last season after being waived by Cleveland on June 9. He demanded more money. When the Browns wouldn't deliver, they cut him.

"We had him in for a visit," Thompson said. "I won't get into it other than to say he looked fine."

Verba generally started at left tackle from 2001-'04, although he missed all of '03 with a torn biceps. He was the Packers' left tackle from 1997-'99 and their left guard in 2000.

Thompson appeared to be relatively pleased with the Packers' situation at guard after the minicamp.

"I think we're going to have some interesting competition," he said. "We wanted to try to get some competition going.

"(Daryn) Colledge looked all right. He got better every day, which is kind of what you want to see from young guys. He's a tough guy and he's smart. Same with Spitz.

"We've always looked at Tony Moll as more of a tackle. He's very gifted athletically.""

Fritz
05-08-2006, 12:39 PM
How many offensive linemen does the team keep? I wouldn't sign him if it means you'd have to cut a promising young pup.

Patler
05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
How many offensive linemen does the team keep? I wouldn't sign him if it means you'd have to cut a promising young pup.

Usually 9 are kept, sometimes 10 or as few as 8 if all are healthy and quite versatile. Look at how young this line could be:

2 in their 7th years (Tauscher & Clifton)
1 in his 3rd year - Wells
3 in their 2nd year - Coston, White, Whittacker
3 rookies - Colledge, Spitz, Moll

I know, there are Klemm (7th year) and Barry (5th year) around too, but an awful lot of young guys.

I wonder if Barry can make this team if he is not a starter?
Moll, a recently converted TE could be a practice squad candidate.
Does Whittaker even have a chance anywhere, absent injuries?

Lots of questions. Real interesting camp this summer for these guys!

Bretsky
05-08-2006, 07:06 PM

We could easily plug Verba in for Klemm or Whittaker, two guys who IMO don't have a lot of potential in this system. Klemm isn't a G and Whittaker just doesn't move well enough.

Tarlam!
05-09-2006, 12:38 AM
We could easily plug Verba in for Klemm or Whittaker, two guys who IMO don't have a lot of potential in this system. Klemm isn't a G and Whittaker just doesn't move well enough.

We could. But Klemm is a pretty good tackle. And Whittiker may be O.K.

I hope we keep Klemm. If we do need to release somebody, I vote for Whittiker, since he seems to be the odd man out in the zone-system.