PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bradshaw on Favre being the best ever

Bretsky
10-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Favre is the best in the business
Terry Bradshaw / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 day ago

Hey folks, I'm not kidding around. I really meant it when I said that Brett Favre is the best quarterback I've ever seen play. I will say it again. I have documented it. I put it on the cover of a book. He's the best there ever was and that covers everybody.
I know people are going to get on me and say Joe Montana. Joe and I both won four Super Bowls. But you know I don't believe in all these 1-2-3 systematic quarterbacks that run that West Coast offense that we've seen for so many years now — with all that great talent around them, too. Just think of that. I know that Favre has thrown a lot of interceptions (49 since the '05 season), but when you think of all the great quarterbacks in the modern era — I don't even know if you would call me a modern quarterback — all of us have had a stable set of wide receivers.

Look at Dan Marino with Mark Clayton and Mark Duper when he started. Look at me with Lynn Swann and John Stallworth and Montana with Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark and some of the others. Dan Fouts had great receivers in San Diego his entire career. All of them had a steady, very reliable complement of receivers.

But look at Favre. He's had to endure so much there. Antonio Freeman was a good receiver but wasn't in the same class as a Rice or a Swann or a Kellen Winslow. Now he has Donald Driver, and he's solid. But he also has a rookie receiver in James Jones and he might be good some day, but he's a rookie. Brett is doing so much just leading that team, and it just looks like he's playing so smart.

Favre has now thrown 210 more touchdown passes than I did. He's attempted over 4,000 more passes than me. So it's not necessarily all him, either. In this day and age, the game is so wide open that you better put up great numbers. I'm sure someone like Peyton Manning or possibly even Tom Brady, with the offense he has right now, could threaten Favre's records some day, who knows?

It's like I said on the show: Not too many people ever ask me how many touchdown passes I threw in my career. In all the corporate outings I've been on, all the speeches and conventions and Q&As I've given, nobody has ever asked me that. Never.

Now, I'm not putting down his record. I'm just stating a fact that I'm not that impressed with records like these. I'm more impressed with the fact that Favre has started 240 consecutive regular-season games. Now that my friend is the most incredible record and I truly believe it will never be broken.

You can tell by watching the Packers play and that shot in the locker room after the game that everybody loves Favre. He's a pied piper. He's someone that people get behind. And you know what? No disrespect to the Dan Marinos of the world and guys who screamed and hollered all the time, but you never really see Favre scream and holler at guys out on the field. He's loved. Now I've seen him get upset with some of their rookies, but that's understandable for what he knows and what they don't know yet about pro football.

Brett has always been one of those "aw shucks" kind of guys, but you know that he's very proud. He's a proud person.

And have we ever seen a player in our lifetime, or anyone that we know in today's electronic media, whose family has suffered more in front of our eyes only to have him come out and punctuate it with a phenomenal effort? If it's not his family, it's his wife's family or the time that Deanna was fighting cancer — and it seems that all the adversity, the doubt, all the stories about him going to retire just motivates him even more. He keeps coming back and playing so well and his team is 4-0 and it seems like he's throwing every down because they still don't have a running back.

Brett gives us so much to talk about in so many ways. I mean, from adversity to the painkiller addiction to the tragedies in his personal life to the great Super Bowl win over New England, to all the interceptions, back to being a gunslinger, something that Mike Holmgren tried to get out of his system to back to where he is now, carrying this football team to an unbeaten record.

But it's early folks. It's only four games. The season has a long ways to go.

He's been great for us. He appears to be media friendly. And I think that's a great compliment to him; he seems to be very much approachable to the average Joe out there. And there is probably no bigger superstar in our game than Brett. Now, he doesn't have the Super Bowl rings like Brady, who tends to be quieter about his career.

But I don't mind that Favre wears his career on his sleeve for all to see. There is no mystique here. We are all drawn to that because we feel that we know everything about him. And we love what we see. He's truly loved.

I mean, we don't see him do a thousand commercials so when we see one like Wrangler, I say he must really like those jeans. He must wear them. It's refreshing. When he leaves this game, I don't know if there is another Brett Favre out there.