PDA

View Full Version : Brett is having a special season

Kiwon
10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Remember what the talking heads and pundits have been saying for years? - "Brett Farve can't carry this team anymore. He's not the player he once was."

Well, "team" means offense, defense, and special teams and while it's true that Brett can't add directly to the performance of defense and special teams, he is proving that he can still indeed "carry" the offense.

The Packers are 4-0 for the first time in years and Brett has strung together three outstanding games in a row. If he continues to play like this, maybe he will realize his goal of leaving the Packers on a high note as opposed to how most players end their NFL careers.

Nothing lasts forever and teams will start to focus more on defensing the Packers' passing game again and forcing them to win by running the ball, but to this point, its great to see that Brett has the ability to play the game at a superior level. He really is a blessed athlete given that he's nearly 38 years old.

Even the talking heads and pundits must agree that Farve is having a special season this year. Personally, I enjoy seeing the "experts" proved wrong and that is exactly what Brett is proving thus far.

Tarlam!
10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
The biggest threat to this team has to be injuries. Take out our outstanding Corners and what are we in the secondary?

Let DD go down and what is the Offense?

Those are 3 positions held by 3 really old guys. Without them?

Patler
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
The biggest threat to this team has to be injuries. Take out our outstanding Corners and what are we in the secondary?

Let DD go down and what is the Offense?

Those are 3 positions held by 3 really old guys. Without them?

It is really no different with other teams. What team has a 3rd or 4th receiver that compares to there #1, and wouldn't be hurt significantly by the loss of their best? I actually feel a lot better about the depth at WR than I have for several years. Yes, it would hurt to lose Driver, but at least I feel that Jennings and Jones would still make plays if he missed some games.

Same at corner. Heck, a lot of teams don't even have two good ones. Again, losing either starter would hurt, but I think if forced to play a backup regularly, GB would be better off this year than in recent years. If the D-line can continue to generate pressure, one of the backups can fill in competently.

Merlin
10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Favre has had 4 outstanding games in a row. He and his WR's are on the same page and it's been years since we have seen that.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Favre has had 4 outstanding games in a row. He and his WR's are on the same page and it's been years since we have seen that.

One average game (at best) and 3 great games.

MadtownPacker
10-03-2007, 12:47 PM

One average game (at best) and 3 great games.Considering the eagles blitzed all game I would say it was easily better then average.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 12:50 PM
The defense and special teams won that game. The offense mustered 6 points. The other 10 points came off a fumble recovery on two punt returns.

Patler
10-03-2007, 01:09 PM

One average game (at best) and 3 great games.Considering the eagles blitzed all game I would say it was easily better then average.

Philly game - 23/42, 0-TDs, 1-int. (QB rating of 58.2 for those who care!)

I sure hope that's not an "average" game against an aggressive defense.

b bulldog
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
tHREE GREAT GAMES AND ONE GAME WHERE HE DIDN'T MAKE A CRUCIAL MISTAKE SO i'll call that a decent game although his numbers weren't great. In todays NFL, it is all about the turnover.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Not really. That's what people will have you believe. Guys like J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb rarely turn the ball over. However, they never makes plays. There are a lot of QBs like that nowadays. Unless you have Baltimore's defense from 2001, those guys don't win you championships. You need somebody that can make plays. Ideally, you want somebody like Manning who can make plays AND not turn the ball over.