PDA

View Full Version : offensive game plan

sac2020
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
So far this season the Packers have played against some tough run defenses and have needed the passing game to perform like it is. However, I wonder if the coaching staff ever thought it would be this successful. With so much success passing, does anyone think the Packers are purposely not exposing more of their running game, thus later in the season they will have more things to throw at opposing defenses? I hope this is partially true, but I tend to believe it's more because they just aren't good at running the ball yet. What do you guys think?

Tarlam!
10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
You seem to be suggesting a type of submarine approach to the running game?

Heck, I hadn't thought of it, but damned, I hope you're correct!

wist43
10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm sure if they thought they could have any success running the ball, that's what they'd be doing.

They've played some fairly stout run defenses in the first few weeks, and MM did the right thing by going pass happy. At this point, a run first game plan would only serve to wear Jon Ryan's leg out.

That said, they will eventually have to get the running game going if they have any plans of making a playoff run.

Long term, you can't make a living, game in and game out, if 3rd and 1 is necessarily a passing down. Wells, Colledge, and Clifton are all liabilities in the run game. Clifton has been good in pass protection, but is a disaster in the run game... his bad knees really show up if he has to reach for a guy.

If they don't get it fixed, the lack of a running game will eventually bite them in the ass... they're 4-0, the defense is sold, and the passing game is clicking; but, when they get to December, and face a team with a good defense that can generate pressure, and has good corners... they'll be in trouble.

Hopefully, they can get the run game going.

Tarlam!
10-03-2007, 10:10 AM
When they get to December, and face a team with a good defense that can generate pressure, and has good corners... they'll be in trouble.

DECEMBER: Oakland, St. Louis, Shitcago and Detroit.

Only Da Bears have a Defense that can generate pressure, but they are on sick leave.