PDA

View Full Version : Should the Packers make a play for Ricky Williams?

SudsMcBucky
10-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't see any posts discussing this, although, I must admit, I'm not on here a whole bunch. However, now that the Packers have serious playoff possibility this year, should they make a play for a RB like Ricky?

It sounds like he's trying for reinstatement. He's been more of a head case than Randy Moss, IMO, but do you take a chance on him? He could be the difference between just a playoff contender and maybe overtaking the Cowboys. What kind of contract would he command? Maybe get him on the cheap?

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 11:46 AM
This was posted, and the consensus was an overwhelming no.

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't think consensus was so overwhelming.

For me, it's just whether he is still physically there, and they could figure that out in a try-out.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't think consensus was so overwhelming.

Read the thread, and let me know if the consensus was overwhelming.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8623&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ricky+williams

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Plenty of people were willing to give Ricky a look.

And you have to consider the superior quality of the people taking this view.

The Leaper
10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Is Barry Sanders willing to come out of retirement?

Carolina_Packer
10-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Isn't he under contract to the Dolphins still? I thought I just saw that on ESPN recently, so it's not like he's a street free agent. What are you willing to give the Dolphins if you support this move?

3irty1
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Isn't he under contract to the Dolphins still? I thought I just saw that on ESPN recently, so it's not like he's a street free agent. What are you willing to give the Dolphins if you support this move?

I'd give them k-rob straight up.

the_idle_threat
10-03-2007, 03:31 PM

I'd give them k-rob straight up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
What are you willing to give the Dolphins if you support this move?

hell if I know.

but how could the dophins retain his rights if they don't sign him when he becomes eligible? I think its a good bet he will be a free agent.

Jerry Tagge
10-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Take a look at Cedric Benson and then tell me if you really want a Texas RB who is a head case on the Packers.

I say NO! NO! NO!

retailguy
10-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Take a look at Cedric Benson and then tell me if you really want a Texas RB who is a head case on the Packers.

I say NO! NO! NO!

I agree, but not for the same reasons. I dont' have a problem with Benson, he, Griese and Grossman are my heroes. Right now, there is NOTHING bad about them. I say, keep them FOREVER.

Harlan - It doesn't matter who was for it. Clearly they're idiots.

I don't support Williams for the same reason I didn't support Moss. We don't need another head case. The chance of a head case in the locker room isn't worth it. Just ask the Eagles and the Buccaneers.

I'd rather see Zool's 1.5yds and a cloud of dust, than the hazy cloud that'll follow Ricky wherever he goes. At least K-robs tin cans make noise as they hit the pavement behind him. (I wasn't in favor of that either, so, maybe I'm negative but at least I'm consistent, and I hope he DOES NOT get reinstated yet).

Freak Out
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
It all depends what it would take to get his rights from the Fish, what kind of shape he was in and what kind of contract he was looking for. I could care less if he smoked weed in the past and was a head case. If he is serious and wants to win then hell yes.

rpiotr01
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Williams wouldn't be asked to carry 30+ times a game here, and he wouldn't be asked to carry the O. ~16 carries a game, 60-65 yards per game would be a god send compared to what we have now. Favre and the WR are carrying the team right now, all that would be expected of Williams is to take a little pressure off of the passing game. To get a first down running on 2nd and 3 or 4. Stuff like that.

My point being, the guy was asked to carry his past two teams. He's just not a leader. No one would ask him to be that kind of leader in GB. So if he's physically able to play then why not give him a shot?

SkinBasket
10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
If he is serious and wants to win then hell yes.

Yeah. He's been serious before. Serious about duping NFL teams into giving him money to buy weed. The guy is old, broken, probably fat, and can't keep his lips off the shit.

If he was "serious," he wouldn't have thrown his career away before. Twice.

Might as well bring in Clarrett to get his goose on during practice. At least he's younger and hasn't been injured. Or is he in jail? Even if he is, he's a better fit than Williams.

MJZiggy
10-03-2007, 04:59 PM
What are you willing to give the Dolphins if you support this move?

hell if I know.

but how could the dophins retain his rights if they don't sign him when he becomes eligible? I think its a good bet he will be a free agent.

He owes them a lot of money. They will have him cleaning the stadium after games to work it off...

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
He owes them a lot of money. They will have him cleaning the stadium after games to work it off...

how about a jerk chicken stand?

Freak Out
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
If he is serious and wants to win then hell yes.

Yeah. He's been serious before. Serious about duping NFL teams into giving him money to buy weed. The guy is old, broken, probably fat, and can't keep his lips off the shit.

If he was "serious," he wouldn't have thrown his career away before. Twice.

Might as well bring in Clarrett to get his goose on during practice. At least he's younger and hasn't been injured. Or is he in jail? Even if he is, he's a better fit than Williams.

Clarrett never had it, Williams did. Ditka and the dipshits who ran the Saints helped Williams along his path almost as much as his own bad choices. He had talent that warrants the risks associated with giving him a shot again as far as I'm concerned. Should a team give him a guaranteed multi million $$ contract? No....but if he passes a team physical/interview and a drug test work a deal that does not expose the team and see what happens.

Charles Woodson
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
our run game cant get much worse so i say give it a shot.
Worst case is we cut him,

MJZiggy
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM

Whose roster spot does he take?

Freak Out
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM

Whose roster spot does he take?

Does John Kuhn do anything for the Packers? I see he is on the active roster.

4and12to12and4
10-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Unless we need our 13 million to extend contracts or pick up potential players during the season if we have a major injury, if the cap space won't be used for either of those two things, then, go get him. It can't hurt. He, when on the field, is a phenomenal rb. However, I don't know how much success he'd have with no friggin holes to run through anyways.

retailguy
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Unless we need our 13 million to extend contracts or pick up potential players during the season if we have a major injury, if the cap space won't be used for either of those two things, then, go get him. It can't hurt. He, when on the field, is a phenomenal rb. However, I don't know how much success he'd have with no friggin holes to run through anyways.

If I remember correctly, a large portion of the cap has already been moved into next years cap via someone's extension recently. Tauscher? There was some bonus that he wouldn't earn, that is still considered likely to be earned for cap purposes. Don't remember the amount though.

Patler?, or a wanna be Patler?

Partial
10-04-2007, 12:04 PM
2.5 mil for Tausch