PDA

View Full Version : McGinn Chat

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, I started pasting pertinent Q&As with threads, but I might as well post the whole chat. I had to bump my post count because Bretsky just overtook me.
:D

Q: Terry Huebner of Hinsdale, IL - I think that one thing about Brett Favre that goes unnoticed a lot is that he completes a large number of balls with guys draped all over his receivers. It seems to me that unlike Montana, Young and even Marino, Favre very rarely has guys running wide open though the secondary like Jerry Rice so often did. When comparing the great quarterbacks, do you think the quality of the receiver corps is taken into account enough? I know Montana was great, but playing with Jerry Rice and all those great players on defense has to help a lot. Favre's supporting cast other than White and a handful of others hasn't been as good.

A: Bob McGinn - Terry: I have always thought BF's supporting cast was fine. Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens and Ahman Green are fine backs, especially the latter two. Chmura, Keith Jackson and Franks were good TEs. Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver and Jennings are darn good WRs. His OL from 2000 or so to 2004 or so was superlative. Where does this come from? Granted, SF had Rice, but so what? GB wasn't exactly lining up with chopped liver for the last 16 years. Gimme a break. Accept Favre for what he is and what he has done. Don't belittle his teammates. It's nonsensical. Plus, it's inaccurate.
Q: BZ in BA of Buenos Aires, Argentina - Hi Bob. I am ecstatic about our 4 and 0 start, just like everyone else in Packer Nation. I have to say that I am very impressed by the jobs that both MM and TT are doing in ¨rebuilding while winning¨. And while I am just as concerned as everyone else about our apparent lack of a running game, I am confident that it is going to start working better as the season progresses. I also appreciate the fact that you were willing to go out on a limb and predict great things while everyone else in the industry was still taking a more cautions (and incorrect!) approach. My question is this: in the case of a Pass Interference call, why aren't the yards given to the QB as part of his overall stats? Woudn't it make sense to do so in this case, because what is really being said is that if it weren't for the penalty than the receiver would have made the catch? Thanks and regards, BZ (the southernmost fan!).

A: Bob McGinn - Beez: Yes, you're right, it makes sense. But you're opening up a whole can of works you really don't want to open ... One more thing about records. The number of games being played today enters into all these career marks. Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham and others were playing 10-game seasons. The same would hold true for players of the future if the NFL bags two of the four exhibition games and makes it an 18-game RS. More games means more stats means skewed records. I'm sorry. Stories about records just leave me cold. Baseball always played 154 games until the change to 162. That's pretty close. But 10 to 16 isn't close. That's another reason why baseball records are so much more meaningful. Q: Matt of Minneapolis - Bob, you are officially the hero of Packer nation with your early prediction of Packer success! Were there two or three things/moments that lead you to make such bold predictions about the 2007 Packers? Were there certain player performances, chemistry, or moments that stand out that lead you to say "Hey, this team is gonna be good."? I enjoyed your article about the topic last week, but I'm wondering if there are more specific things that you remember early on.

A: Bob McGinn - Matt: Getting Jenkins into the lineup to relieve KGB. That was last year. Jolly this summer. Jones the first day I laid on eyes on him at minicamp. Ryan this summer. Rodgers all summer. Favre's return. Barnett starting to come of age late last year. The promotion of Philbin. The continuity of the staff. The decision to bypass Moss. Bush this summer. Bigby for Manuel. When Thompson cut the roster to the final 53, it was exactly the same 53 I would have kept (actually 52, because I didn't know about the Grant trade). Even Barbre this summer. Just a ton of stuff that the Packers appeared to me to be doing right. Q: Andrew of Los Angeles - Bob, I want to complement you for being the best in your business. All your articles are just a delight to read: intelligent, very analytical, highly researched, well-spoken of, highly regarded and sometimes, on the crazy side. But you're the main reason why I kept my Insider subscription. My question is, have you ever thought of being a scout or personnel guy for an NFL team? With your acumen on dissecting and evaluating teams, plays, films, coaches, and players, I think you're better than half of these so-called Player Personnel Directors. Have any team contacted you in the past or present?

A: Bob McGinn - Andrew: Thanks. But let's be real. Every scout and coach that I talk to in the NFL knows 100 times more football than I will ever know. That's just the way it is. They have access to coaching tape. Most of them played the game at no less than the college level. They are able to have intimate conversations with great coaches and personnel men around their buildings. They have access to untold scouting reports from the combines and their colleagues. All I can do that maybe some of them cannot is talk to guys from all 32 teams. But most of them talk to colleagues elsewhere, too. It's a ridiculous proposition. I am not trained to scout or coach or anything like that. I am trained to be a reporter. It just so happens this newspaper assigns me to this beat. And so I gather information as best I can and provide it to you the reader so you can make your own decisions. Q: James of Sacramento - Bob, one of the knocks I heard about James Jones before the draft was that he has a limited ceiling (on future performance). Now that you (and your insider connections) have had a chance to see Jones in action, does that axiom still apply? And, who do you think has more upside - Jennings or Jones? Thanks.

A: Bob McGinn - J: Need to see more of both players to know ultimate ceilings. Jones isn't that fast. That is supposed to be his limiting factor. Other teams worried about his mental aspect. Jennings ... the knocks on him, although they were much milder, were size and lack of blazing speed. Q: wayne of new jersey - With the Packers great start and Randy Moss' amazing numbers in NE, can we at least wonder what might've been? Thompson had an opportunity to redeem Ron Wolf's mistake of drafting Holliday over Moss, but didn't get it done. Moss has single-handedly taken a very good NE team, and turned them into possibly one of the best teams ever. Obviously, we're not in NE's class, but I think we'd be the one of the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. We're winning, and with Favre throwing 45 balls per game, Moss would be sure to get his balls and stay happy. How could one possibly argue that we would not be a better team with a Favre/Moss combination?

A: Bob McGinn - Wayne: Four games have been played. I haven't seen Moss play a down. I can't comment from any position of intelligence. The Packers already are one of the two favorites to win the NFC. That's according to Roxy Roxborough and LV Sports Consultants. I'll say this: when Moss joins a team, the dynamic changes. What is working in Boston might not have worked other places. I still don't like the guy and what he represents and what he brings. Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Mr. McGinn, with the Bears having injury problems and no running game and no qb do you see this game beinging a close game?

A: Bob McGinn - Kimberly: Yes, I do. The Bears go into a game this season for the first time as a distinct underdog. All that garbage about them being a super team is long gone. Now they can just go play. The expectations are shot. They hate the Packers. It has taken a while but the media in Chicago has finally seen the light that this isn't 2006 anymore and the league changes dramatically each season and the Bears will do well to finish .500, even in the NFC North. I look for the Bears to be in it until the bitter end. Q: Evan of Chicago - Who is the most improved Packer from last season? A lot of people would say Jolly or Bigby or maybe even Franks, but my vote goes to #4 Brett Favre.

A: Bob McGinn - Evan: Franks. Lee. Bigby and Jolly never played so it's hard to consider them. Barnett perhaps. Favre is a strong candidate, too. It'd be Franks, Lee or Favre. Q: WW of Minnesota - Bob, I am a former college LB and enjoy watching the position. I was extremely high on Patrick Willis as a player PRIOR to his outstanding efforts when he was tested out athletically. I've seen him in a couple games this year and he looks like he will be a consistent all-pro. Nothing against Hawk, but this guy is better. Do you know where he sat on the Packers draft board and do you know if the Pack would have considered drafting him if he would have slipped to them? A LB crew of Willis, Hawk and Barnett with Poppinga providing depth would have been really something.

A: Bob McGinn - WW: I hope to see Willis at some point soon. No, I don't know what GBP thought of him. Q: Tim Chase of Beaver Dam - Bob, Great job as always. I am glad some of us saw the potential of the Packers this year. My question is about Justin Harrell though. Do you believe the Packers are trying to get him healthy, in better shape and shorten the season for him? Often it seems rookies hit the wall. He doesn't have a 16 game schedule any more and will be much more productive and healthy when a few of the other line-man get nicked up. And as long as we are on rookies when is the last time a rookie kicker has looked as good as Crosby has?

A: Bob McGinn - TC: No ulterior motives on Harrell. He just isn't good enough to be on the field. Daniel Muir is at least as deserving as Harrell, based on six weeks this summer. Barring injury, Harrell probably will be inactive every week. His job is to get better the best way he can, watch and learn from pros like Pickett and Williams and the rest, and make a move like Jolly did during the '07 OS and summer. ... Crosby has been very good. Not sure of history of rookie kickers. Q: Rich of LA - Hi Bob, don't you think the Packers are a bit overrated? They haven't beat one team with a winning record.

A: Bob McGinn - Rich: I hadn't thought of that. All I can do is work 12-14 hours each Tuesday learning about the next foe and then writing it for Wednesday in the scouting report. I kind of liked all four of those foes. The Packers will play some worse teams than those four, I'm pretty confident in saying that. Q: Mike of Wis. Rapids - Hi Bob How much did Jagoginski leaving to coach college shortly after coming to the packers to put in the Zone Blocking scheme hurt the packers learning curve for the Zone blocking run game....are there few coaching options with extended experience in this scheme in the NFL available to teach it, and do we have that on the Packers ? thanks Mike

A: Bob McGinn - Mike: I think JJ's departure had minimal impact. The Packres didn't run the ball worth a darn last year, either, albeit it was better than this abomination. Philbin is well-schooled in zone scheme. McCarthy worked with Alex Gibbs in KC for a time. Campen and Jerry Fontenot are bright OL coaches who coached alongside JJ. It's O-linemen and RBs and the FB and TEs as blockers. And right now it all stinks. Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Bob; There's been a lot of Hawk bashing in the blogs and this chat. But before Hawk, there was a lot of Barnett bashing, despite high tackling totals. Clearly, Barnett has imrovedhad greater impact since Hawk arrived. Is it coincidence, or has the presence of Hawk somehow opened things up for Barnett?

A: Bob McGinn - Digger: Hawk struggled in coverage a year ago and continues his imprecise work in coverage. Against the run, he's fine. He's big and fast and tough. He is a very good player. His blitzing hasn't been impactful but I can't give you a total on how many times he has blitzed. Hawk is the least of this team's problems. He will have stick-out games soon. Q: Chris Fellerman of Andover, MN - Now that the players are without question aware that the 'horse collar' is an illegal play, what should be the punishment so that these undisciplined, wreckless players stop doing it? Now they get a penalty and a small fine, if it's blatant enough. I wrote a letter to Goodell last week about the increasing use of this cheap tackle and I noticed more penalties this week on it. But I maintain that this should be a one-game suspension, and a fine, in addition to the penalty. You may recall Will Blackmon was brought down this way in preseason on his long K or P return. It was fortunate he wasn't seriously injured.

A: Bob McGinn - Chris: What's the big deal? Anyone who has played the game has tried to chase a guy down and reached out and gotten the shoulders. Personally, I'd just let it go. There are too many rules in this league designed to reduce the rough stuff. We need more mayhem, not less. Q: Ted of Grand Rapids Michigan - I live in Detroit Lions country. A work buddy and I have annual beer bet - Packers or Lions, who has the best record? It's been a nice run. Do you think my beer is safe this year?

A: Bob McGinn - Teddy: I'd be stunned if the Honolulu Blue and Silver have a better record than GBP. But the Lions did beat the Bears without Calvin Johnson. I saw tape of that game. The Lions' DL did a number on the Bears' OL. That was very impressive. If Shaun Rogers keeps playing the way he is, and that's a mighty big if, Detroit has a shot at .500. If the Lions do go .500, you should give him the suds regardless. Q: Jim S. of Baraboo - Is there any reasonable hope that the running attack will be get better as the season progresses?

A: Bob McGinn - Jim S: Yes. Law of averages says it will. Not having Jamal Williams and Pat Williams at NT for back to back games says yes. Coston should improve. Morency should help. Bad weather means worse fields means more running, and GBP has always played better in that stuff. We're grasping here, I realize that, but I'm just trying to answer the question. Q: Jan Mandel of Phoenix, Az. - Hey Bob, The attitude of Saunders defense seems very vanilla and they play you straight up and seems to be hard pressed to make many changes in defense. Would like to see some blitzing of safety's at times to add a little surprise. There are times when QB has way to much time to pass. Also would like to see the following players step it up, Hawk just seems to be out of position and lost at times "no impact", Collins pass coverage, & Jenkins..& every game now I've seen instead of rushing the QB Jenkins has stepped back as though to play another linebacker to defend a short pass..the problem is that no one has ever been in the area, and we are scrathing our heads wondering what that was about.

A: Bob McGinn - JM: The very fact that GBP presses with their corners means by nature it is not a vanilla defense. Cover 2 is a lot more vanilla-ish. This unit just needs to tighten up in coverage. The four-man pressure has been pretty effective. GB is good in the red zone. All in all, the defense hasn't been bad. Not as good as it will be but certainly not bad. Let's see how Griese, Campbell, Cutler, Huard, and Holcomb or Jackson fare in next five games. Q: Mardy Fish of Bradenton, FL - Which do you think will be the better NFL safety 3 years down the road: Nick Collins Aaron Rouse Atari Bigby

A: Bob McGinn - Mardy: Collins or Bigby. I guess I'd go with Bigby. Q: Arsenio of Burbank - The Packers are 4-0 and I'm still fuming Ted Thompson didn't pick up Randy Moss. Should I get therapy? Also, I still can't get my brains around the Harrell pick. What is the logic behind getting an injured player who plays your most stocked position? It is so beyond comprehension. Finally, that WR Rice of the Vikes looked great. Just sayin'.

A: Bob McGinn - Arsenio: This team was 4-12 and a million miles from contention 20 months ago. Puh-leeze. I've been accused of being overly critical for years but c'mon. Look at the reasons why the Packers are 4-0. Moss might not have been the panacea you think he would have been. As for Harrell ... OK, he might not contribute anything as a rookie. Thus, he is beyond the 8-ball and Thompson looks like a fool for taking him. But draft picks need more than 6 weeks to evaluate. He wasn't ready this summer. He better be ready next summer. But to write him off as a bust? No way. The guy is too good-looking on the hoof to do that. Q: Black Terror of Pittsburgh - Bob, you may not know as much as the scouts, but you do a heck of a job of translating what they tell you into articles that add to our enjoyment of the game. My question is simple, is there a way to improve the run game at this point in the season besides consistently running the ball during games and living with the results that produces?

A: Bob McGinn - Black Terror: Someone like Mike Sherman would say there is. He believed with his heart that he could overcome any problem on the practice field. And he overcame a ton of them that way. ... It just comes down to blocking at the 5 O-line positions and the running of the back. You gotta rep these plays over and over again against all the various fronts you expect to see. And if these O-linemen and backs fail, then TT has got to find other players in time for 2008. Q: G of Los Angeles - In your opinion, who's the biggest culprit in the poor run defense?

A: Bob McGinn - G: Who said it was poor? We've all seen poor in GB over the years and this ain't it. Q: John of Indy - Oh no! David Clowney signed to the active roster of the Jets. What are we going to do? Do you expect more of Hester on offense Sunday night?

A: Bob McGinn - John: Don't be too harsh on Clowney. He wasn't bad, especially in the last 2-3 weeks of TC. ... Remember one thing about Hester. Some scouts that did him in college expressed grave reservations about his ability to assimilate a pro system. Defense or offense. Ron Turner probably doesn't trust him. Otherwise, he'd be on the field more. Guys that can't think on their feet are almost useless. Q: Tom Lynum of Stillwater, MN - Bob. What's the love affair with Bush?? Why not give Blackmon a shot. It can't be that Bush is that much better or he'd be competing for a starter role and not nickel back. Is Blackmon still hurt?? How about Walker?? They pulled the trigger fairly quickly to "Juice" Coston. Help me understand the difference with Bush.

A: Bob McGinn - Tom: On a day in, day out basis Bush covered better than Blackmon and Walker this summer. He has nice size. He's really feisty. His speed is OK. He hasn't played as well in RS but he hasn't been awful. He's a young player. Certainly he's more athletic than Pat Dendy from 2006. Blackmon has all these tools but he still is a work in progress in coverage. Walker really came on this summer, plus he's physical. He's a good player. They have options, but I can see them sticking with Bush a while longer. Plus, when you're 4-0, coaches hate to upset the applecart. And for good reason. That doesn't sit real well in what should be a very happy, healthy locker room. Q: Lennie Durow of San Diego - Bob: Thanks for taking our questions. Based on the beat up secondary for the Bears and our mediocre run game, can we throw on the Bears like we have been doing all season to other teams? What is needed from our offense to accomplish a quality passing game against the Bears?

A: Bob McGinn - LD: They must get Tommie Harris blocked and those DEs blocked. Only then can Favre get to the secondary, which is vulnerable obviously. Q: Ed Paulson of Plover - Bob...do you think one of the reasons for the slow start of the Packers running game has anything to do with the fact the Packers don't practice cut-blocking on their defensive linemen?

A: Bob McGinn - Eddie: They don't, you're right, but Alex Gibbs couldn't have done that in DEN and ATL, either. You'd run too great a risk of injury. Really, the OL and the RB and the TE aren't that good. System or no system, it comes down to people. Q: Greg R. of Memphis,TN - What ever happened to the screen pass? It used to be an integral part of the GBP offense. Another casualty of the zone blocking scheme?

A: Bob McGinn - Greg: So much use of shotgun reduces effectiveness of the screen. They have tried 9 screens in four games. That's pretty much par for the course for GB teams with Favre. /// Thanks to one and all for the queries. Later ... Bob McGinn