PDA

View Full Version : Bears Injured Secondary vs Brett Favre

CaliforniaCheez
10-03-2007, 05:55 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2007/10/tillman-briggs-.html

The Chicago Tribune says:

Sorry Bears fans. Your team is still banged up.

Charles Tillman (ankle) and Lance Briggs (hamstring) ran sprints on the side while the rest of the team practiced Tuesday. And neither player looked great running, although Tillman was a little more fluid with his motion than Briggs.

Nathan Vasher (groin) continues to sit out practice, but the surprise addition to the no-practice list was safety Brandon McGowan. It's unclear when McGowan got hurt, but he played a lot against Detroit this past weekend. The Bears already lost two safeties for the season in Mike Brown (ACL) and Kevin Payne (broken arm), and a third -- Adam Archuleta -- is practicing with a broken right hand.

Tommie Harris (knee) was on the practice field but his participation was limited through the first 15 minutes.

Running Game?? We don't need no stinkin' running game!!

Freak Out
10-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Air M3 baby. Let er' rip #4.

retailguy
10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
With Briggs hurt, and the Packers throwing it 45 times a game, do you think the Bears use a nickel or dime defense as base?

any benefit to that for the Bears, or, are they so banged up that they don't have the personnel to run it effectively and for the majority of the game?

Also, anyone see an opportunity for the bears to run a cover 3 to try to stop the intermediate pass and get the receivers out of the seam?

Thoughts?

CaliforniaCheez
10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
With Briggs hurt, and the Packers throwing it 45 times a game, do you think the Bears use a nickel or dime defense as base?

any benefit to that for the Bears, or, are they so banged up that they don't have the personnel to run it effectively and for the majority of the game?

Also, anyone see an opportunity for the bears to run a cover 3 to try to stop the intermediate pass and get the receivers out of the seam?

Thoughts?

I think the opposite will happen. With the top 2 safeties and at least one CB out, I think the Bears have to go to blitz mode on most downs. You can't just lay back in coverage with backups in the secondary against Brett Favre.

I see the the less injured DL and LB's going after Brett.

RashanGary
10-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I see the Packers finding a way to score points and win. 5-0!!

RIPackerFan
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
I was wondering whether they had enough personnel to play a nickel D. Last week, in the 4qtr of the game vs. the Lions, the Bears had to play their base D since they ran out of D-backs. I have a feeling that may be the case this week.

I agree with Cali - I see them doing full out blitzes, while having their corners mug our recievers - thus disrupting their routes for a split second - and if they can get to Favre - its a sack.

However, this approach is high risk/high reward - if they don't get to Favre - the recievers will have something open down the field - if the CBs don't get a good hit against the recievers - same thing.

We can try to run them out of it - but you have to pick the right hole to run through - and then block it effectively.

retailguy
10-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I see the Packers finding a way to score points and win. 5-0!!

Well, truthfully, so do I, but I also have a lot of respect for Lovie, and know that if anyone can take that patchwork injured defense and make it work, he can. So, I'm just speculating.

The whole blitz idea though, I find really interesting. I guess to a certain point, I can see it, but, I still wonder what he'll try. I don't think Lovie's odds of success are high, but he'll be as prepared as he is capable of being, and the Bears should overachieve a bit in this one, I'd think.

RIPackerFan
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I just can't imagine the D only sending 4 and letting Favre sit back and light them up. With the injuries to Harris and Briggs - either preventing them from being 100% or not playing, I just do see them getting to Favre consistently with only 4 rushing.

From what I have read - they will try to re-establish the run against us - I hope the MM is getting our guys ready.

Noodle
10-04-2007, 12:22 AM
The run is their only chance. They have to keep the Pack off the field and their Defense fresh.

Then I expect them to send 4, maybe 5 at times, but with lots of stunting and having different guys rush, with DEs dropping in to seams to disrupt crossing routes. If they play vanilla, Favre will kill them, unless he gets too greedy.

It hurts them big time to have no safeties. Can't really do a cover 3 with no safeties, can you, unless Urlacher drops deep?

3irty1
10-04-2007, 07:30 AM
They have been blitzing a lot more this year. They have been sending LBs and stuff so I'm sure we'll see it but I expect we'll spread them out pretty good with 4 receiver sets and move the ball no matter what. Big day from Martin.

run pMc
10-04-2007, 09:34 AM
It's a big rivalry game and I don't think CHI wants to lose an important division game and go 1-4 this early in the season. That makes this a must-win game for them...and CHI a desperate and thus very dangerous team. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these guys suit up on Sun and play. The question is how much and how effectively.

Lovie will come up with something clever on D, and they will try to take the air out of the ball by running Benson & Peterson, but GB has to be favored in this game. CHI is really beat up.

mmmdk
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
It's a big rivalry game and I don't think CHI wants to lose an important division game and go 1-4 this early in the season. That makes this a must-win game for them...and CHI a desperate and thus very dangerous team. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these guys suit up on Sun and play. The question is how much and how effectively.

Lovie will come up with something clever on D, and they will try to take the air out of the ball by running Benson & Peterson, but GB has to be favored in this game. CHI is really beat up.

I couldn't agree more. It's do or die for the Bears.

Furthermore, Favre & WR corp is red hot and Packers D is solid. I think STs will decide this one. Stop Hester! Lastly, if there's a coach that, recently, have had a great gameplan for the Packers - It's been Lovie. Forget the 4-0 & 1-3 records - it will be brutal (hopefully for the Bears).

Tarlam!
10-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Very extreme view, IMHO.

I remember last year when we were pipped by tie breaker after starting pretty dismally.

If the Bears get beat and go to 1-4, they need the same type of performance the Packers had in 2004, I believe, to make the play offs.

Freak Out
10-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Furthermore, Favre & WR corp is red hot and Packers D is solid. I think STs will decide this one. Stop Hester! Lastly, if there's a coach that, recently, have had a great gameplan for the Packers - It's been Lovie. Forget the 4-0 & 1-3 records - it will be brutal (hopefully for the Bears).

Do NOT kick the ball to Hester please. I can see Urlacher back in pass D more than he normally is and Lovie sending a load against #4 to force him into mistakes.[/b]

Partial
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Crosby has got the boot. I would say sacrifice some hang time for a deep kickoff into the end-zone.

mraynrand
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
The Bears have the best group of DEs the Packers will play all year - including the backups, possibly the best group in all of football, plus Harris inside. I think Chicago will mix in a few blitzes to try to shake Favre up, but probably not as many as some think. With Briggs and Brown hurting/out, Chicago's defensive strengths are their DEs and Urlacher. They have to count on these guys to make plays for them. Why put a weak defensive backfield even more at risk with blitzing? I expect the Bears to really mix up their stunts and D linemen positioning to try and confuse the O-line and Favre.

3irty1
10-04-2007, 01:35 PM
The Bears have the best group of DEs the Packers will play all year - including the backups, possibly the best group in all of football, plus Harris inside. I think Chicago will mix in a few blitzes to try to shake Favre up, but probably not as many as some think. With Briggs and Brown hurting/out, Chicago's defensive strengths are their DEs and Urlacher. They have to count on these guys to make plays for them. Why put a weak defensive backfield even more at risk with blitzing? I expect the Bears to really mix up their stunts and D linemen positioning to try and confuse the O-line and Favre.

Blitzing creates mistakes by the QB and ensures that you don't have to cover as long. I'm predicting that they do it just because in the two bears games I've watched this year they've been blitzing more than last year. Harris is very good but they are missing Tank. I don't know if they are blitzing to make up for the pressure that they don't get from him or if they just didn't need them in coverage.

They are beat up but they are also deep. They are still a good defense. Unfortunately even a good defense looks like a terrible defense after being on the field 80% of the game. We'll probobly double our score in the 4th quarter.

Packers4Glory
10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
harris played a good game last week. he'll be fine come sunday. the bears are always up for the Packers so I expect this to be a very tough game. i wish we would just blow them out, but i think the bears will be ready. their season really is on the line. a team w/ their back against the wall is scary stuff. they aren't as bad as they have looked.

mmmdk
10-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Crosby has got the boot. I would say sacrifice some hang time for a deep kickoff into the end-zone.

Yup, Crosby should do fine but doesn't Hester return punts too.

Partial
10-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Yup, Crosby should do fine but doesn't Hester return punts too.

He does. Kick away from him. Boot the long line drives out of bounds.

BF4MVP
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
If Favre is able to take advantage of the Bears' injured secondary, it should be a Packer win..

But the running game has to get going one of these games..

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2007, 05:12 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/589532,CST-SPT-bearnt05.article

Bears in brief: Tillman among the missing

In the world of medical misinformation that is the NFL, the best you can go on is what happens on the practice field.

With cornerback Charles Tillman missing Thursday's workout because of his sprained right ankle, the Bears moved another day closer to potentially playing without him Sunday night at Lambeau Field. Regardless, they are guaranteed to have their fourth defensive starting lineup in five games.

''It's definitely a little frustrating to know, when you're on the bench or you're on the sideline and your team is out there and they're doing the best that they can, I can't help them in any way,'' Tillman said. ''That's more of a frustrating part.''

Tillman was projected to miss one to two weeks after being injured Sept. 23 against Dallas, but he said all last week he expected to play at Detroit, even though reports confirmed differently. Now he's saying he could miss another game.

Perhaps it's a ruse intended to reach Green Bay. This much is known: If Tillman can't play, Ricky Manning Jr. will start for Nathan Vasher (groin) at left corner, and Danieal Manning will be at right corner with Brandon McGowan taking over at free safety.

McGowan, who did partial work in practice after missing a day with a shoulder injury, stepped up with a team-high 13 tackles against the Lions and gets his chance after

Kevin Payne was lost for the season.

Left tackle John Tait (right ankle) and running back Adrian Peterson (calf) also were held out. Defensive tackle Tommie Harris returned to the field.

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2007, 10:43 PM
2 Safeties and both starting CB's are out. The nickel back is a 5' 9" rookie.

I think we will be voting for Brett next week as FEDEX NFL player of the week, AGAIN.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Archuleta will be back. It's not a sure thing that any of the others will be out yet either. This is Bears vs. Packers. I expect them all to play.

Merlin
10-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I really hate playing the Bears at this point. They have a lot to prove. Their defense is usually top notch. Even if they have injured players does anyone really think we can dink and dunk them? I think we will have our hands full in this game. They won't get a lot of pressure but they will cover better then any team we have seen thus far. Will there be enough pressure to make Favre be Favre? No, I don't think so. I think the Bears will get two sacks and the PAcker defense will record 5 sacks. The Packers should win this easily but then again, without a running game, it will be a squeaker. Green Bay 24, Chicago 19.

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Archuleta will be back. It's not a sure thing that any of the others will be out yet either. This is Bears vs. Packers. I expect them all to play. Yes, he will play but with a broken hand.

woodbuck27
10-05-2007, 11:36 PM
They have been blitzing a lot more this year. They have been sending LBs and stuff so I'm sure we'll see it but I expect we'll spread them out pretty good with 4 receiver sets and move the ball no matter what. Big day from Martin.

I hope so.

I think that Ruvell Marin should play a bigger role in our offense.

I hope he gets a TD Sunday.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
10-05-2007, 11:39 PM
2 Safeties and both starting CB's are out. The nickel back is a 5' 9" rookie.

I think we will be voting for Brett next week as FEDEX NFL player of the week, AGAIN.

If Favre goes in for the kill in the first two series, look out.

The Packers win big.

GO PACKERS !

CaliforniaCheez
10-06-2007, 08:01 AM
The "official" injury report.

CHICAGO BEARS at GREEN BAY PACKERS - BEARS: DOUBTFUL: T John Tait (ankle), CB Nathan Vasher (groin). QUESTIONABLE: LB Lance Briggs (hamstring), RB Adrian Peterson (calf), CB Charles Tillman (ankle). PROBABLE: S Adam Archuleta (hand), G Ruben Brown (shoulder), DT Tommie Harris (knee), S Brandon McGowan (shoulder), T Fred Miller (knee), LB Brian Urlacher (back).

PACKERS: OUT: CB Will Blackmon (foot), DE Mike Montgomery (knee). QUESTIONABLE: RB Brandon Jackson (shin). PROBABLE: T Chad Clifton (illness), DT Colin Cole (concussion), S Nick Collins (knee), CB Al Harris (back), DE Cullen Jenkins (ribs), DT Corey Williams (back), CB Charles Woodson (foot).