PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watching hockey instead of baseball?

CaliforniaCheez
10-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm glad hockey season has started. I like it midweek between football games.

BallHawk
10-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Hockey is great to watch live, in person.

On TV.....not so much. I can't watch hockey on TV. Too hard to follow and it just isn't as entertaining.

rpiotr01
10-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I was trying to watch ducks-wings but the digital cable kept freezing up. it was too aggrevating so i shut it off.

but i'm so glad hockey is here again. going to rangers opening night tomorrow

Carolina_Packer
10-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm going to see my Carolina Hurricanes Friday night. Unfortunately they lost in overtime for their home opener tonight against the Canadiens. Damn that Saku Koivu...too talented. Actually, I hope he's healthy, he's fun to watch.

Guiness
10-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Me, me me! Of course, Woodbuck and I are legally bound - being Canadian and all.

It's been said that if you pointed a camera at a frozen pond and put a puck on it, Canadians would watch it.

Patler
10-04-2007, 07:53 AM
I always watch hockey instead of baseball.
I always watch hockey instead of basketball.
If I had to pick one, I would watch hockey instead of most football games.

MJZiggy
10-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Blasphemy!!

Bretsky
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM

curious as to where you are now ? Being in WI, it's hard to follow hockey. I enjoy Badgers hockey. My guess is if we had a NHL team in Wisconsin I'd really enjoy it.

But closest thing is the Chicago Blackhawks.

And I will never cheer for anything in Illinois

CaliforniaCheez
10-04-2007, 09:05 AM

I thought well of you before but now you've earned at least 5 esteem points with me.

Cheesehead Craig
10-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Hockey in HD is stunningly good to watch. It's the best sport to watch in HD, IMO.

3irty1
10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Pro hockey is one hell of a sport right now. Few things on TV are as entertaining as Sid Crosby. That being said... Baseball is looking to have an exciting post season and October is for baseball...

HarveyWallbangers
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM
The Fighting Sioux are going to be good again this year.
:D

Carolina_Packer
10-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Did they get to keep their nickname?

HarveyWallbangers
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Did they get to keep their nickname?

Somebody had the authority to make them change? There's an ongoing trial on the ruling by the NCAA to not allow them (but allowing the Fighting Illini, Utes, and Seminoles) to host an NCAA tournament.

Freak Out
10-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I love to play Hockey but cannot stand to watch it on TV or live. The City League here in Anchorage is freaking nuts. Ice time is so hard to get we regularly play games at 10 or 11 PM.

BallHawk
10-04-2007, 02:18 PM
If Wisconsin had a professional team I'm sure a lot more Wisconsinites would be into hockey. If you're born and raised in Wisconsin all you've got are the Wild, Blackhawks, and maybe the Red Wings.

I'll watch Badger Hockey and sometimes Olympic hockey. Can't watch NHL, though. It's fun to go to amateur league games, like the Florida Everblades who play in the ECHL.

woodbuck27
10-04-2007, 02:20 PM

On TV.....not so much. I can't watch hockey on TV. Too hard to follow and it just isn't as entertaining.

It is best during the playoffs Ballhawk.

woodbuck27
10-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Pro hockey is one hell of a sport right now. Few things on TV are as entertaining as Sid Crosby. That being said... Baseball is looking to have an exciting post season and October is for baseball...

Sidney Crosby is the real deal and very solid as a person. Very down to earth.

The next great ambassador of the game.

BallHawk
10-04-2007, 02:23 PM

It is best during the playoffs Ballhawk.

I do watch playoff hockey, especially if it's close. I might have it on in the background but I can't watch a hockey game for a full 3 periods. Maybe 1 and a half, at most.

I watched the full game when the Badgers beat BC for the championship. Didn't watch the other ones, though.

cheesner
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Baseball is still going on?

Personally, I would opt to watch the first preseason game against the 2 worst teams in the NFL, rather than watch game 7 of the world series.

BF4MVP
10-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't really care about baseball that much since the Brewers are out..

But it's still 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than hockey...

Patler
10-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I much prefer Junior hockey to NHL hockey.

I first watched Sidney Crosby play as a 13 and 14 year old, as well as many, many of the young NHL stars age 25 and under. Spent years and years all over Ontario and Quebec watching 12-20 year olds.

CaliforniaCheez
10-04-2007, 08:06 PM
For those who don't like or are not familiar with hockey I always say go watch minor league hockey.

1) It is cheaper

2) It moves a little bit slower so you can see the plays develop and how teams get their timing down. The NHL can be a little confusing for those not familiar with hockey.

3) In person is better than televised because you have a better field of view for changes on the fly and passes being set up.

Go ahead and give it a try.

GO SHARKS!! I have to watch the season opener against the Oilers.

digitaldean
10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
For those who don't like or are not familiar with hockey I always say go watch minor league hockey.

1) It is cheaper

2) It moves a little bit slower so you can see the plays develop and how teams get their timing down. The NHL can be a little confusing for those not familiar with hockey.

3) In person is better than televised because you have a better field of view for changes on the fly and passes being set up.

Go ahead and give it a try.

GO SHARKS!! I have to watch the season opener against the Oilers.

Agree California!!

Green Bay Gamblers (USHL minor league team) fits that bill around here. Especially since there are no NHL teams around here!! :cry:

Love the Sharks! Listen to their games online whenever I get a chance! I don't think SJ will have much problem with Oilers. Since they've traded away Ryan Smyth and Pronger, Peca to free agency and lost Pisani to illness, they're a shell of the team that went to the finals in 2006.

Zool
10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I've seen my fair share of hockey, live and on TV. Never developed a taste for it. Go to Europe and they will all tell you to watch soccer, but I dont like that either.

swede
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
When I was in college, in the days before 120 channels, late night WPBS replayed Badger hockey games. Knowing nothing about the sport other than the fact that Wisconsin's team was pretty good (one of the players is in his 40's now and was still playing for Detroit last year) the game was confusing at first.

Later, after weeks of watching, and without knowing why, it seemed to me that I could sense a goal coming several seconds before it would happen. There was something about the spacing and movement of the players and the puck that would either lead to a goal or, at the very least, a really good shot on goal with a quality save by the goalie.

Still, without a boat I'm not in the yacht club. and without a team I'm not a hocky fan.

woodbuck27
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Me, me me! Of course, Woodbuck and I are legally bound - being Canadian and all.

It's been said that if you pointed a camera at a frozen pond and put a puck on it, Canadians would watch it.

The Montrea Canadians are off to another fast start this season Guiness.

Hoping that life is good for you my Canadian Packer friend.

GO HABS !! :)

woodbuck27
10-05-2007, 01:55 PM

I first watched Sidney Crosby play as a 13 and 14 year old, as well as many, many of the young NHL stars age 25 and under. Spent years and years all over Ontario and Quebec watching 12-20 year olds.

Were you a Scout Patler. . .

My friend Ron and I attended a Junior Hockey game last Sat. in Harbour Station in Saint John, New Brunswick. . .

The Saint John Seadogs Vs the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior League and we had a Scout fr. the Toronto Maple Leafs sitting right in front of us.

He looked very serious as he analyzed the young players on the ice. All business.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
(one of the players is in his 40's now and was still playing for Detroit last year)

Chris Chelios, I assume.

Patler
10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
The Saint John Seadogs Vs the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior League and we had a Scout fr. the Toronto Maple Leafs sitting right in front of us.

He looked very serious as he analyzed the young players on the ice. All business.

There is an interesting contrast between Quebec Major Junior and Ontario's. Different styles through and through. Much better puck movement in Quebec, generally more physical in Ontario. Better goaltenders come out of the Quebec league, too, I think because the see better team play and have to move with it.

If you want to see scouts, go to the Prospects tournament in Toronto in the spring. Tremendous talent turnout, and scouts shoulder to shoulder, NHL, Junior and college. I attended for many years.

Carolina_Packer
10-06-2007, 12:27 AM

The Montrea Canadians are off to another fast start this season Guiness.

Hoping that life is good for you my Canadian Packer friend.

GO HABS !! :)

Woodbuck, your Habs stole one in overtime from my Carolina Hurricanes; Koivu is special. Tonight I went to see the Canes beat the Penguins. Thrashed them 4-1. Cam Ward, our young goalie was on his game. Eric Staal got two goals.

ZachMN
10-07-2007, 04:35 PM
No offense to anyone who likes the NHL but it SUCKS. THey need to play 4 on 4 all the time or have an olympic rink. Like the NFL the NHL would do better having a game based on offense and scoring and having smaller, more skilled (read better skaters and passers a'la the KLM line (that will piss off the Canucks on this board LOL) and Gretzky). Every time I watch a few minutes all I see is dump, chase, hook. Hardly any plays developing. And all of those ties?? How long did it take to get guys having 50 golas a year again? And what idiot ( and the idiots who followed him) made rule AGAINST a two line pass?????? How about when Gretzky and Kurri were alomst automatic on offsetting penalties so the NHL made a rule that it stayed 5 on 5 when there were offsetting minor penalties!! Real smart. Give the people excitement and constant action and shooting. Makes those goalers wear smaller stuff. Such a waste of a great sport..............

UND will be good this year. My dad and I are going to try to get up to the Ralph to see the Golden Gophers take on the Fighting Sioux this year.

All hail the "GREEN UNIT"

ZachMN
10-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Didn't Crsoby go to Shauttuck St. Mary's in Fairbault, MN? A Hockey Factory I must say.....

Patler
10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Didn't Crsoby go to Shauttuck St. Mary's in Fairbault, MN? A Hockey Factory I must say.....

Yes he did, for one season.
As did a number of other current NHLers.

ZachMN
10-07-2007, 04:59 PM
you know Marlon Brando went there too?? He actually burned a building down and was expelled.

Carolina_Packer
10-07-2007, 04:59 PM

You are correct, sir!

From Wikipedia: Sidney attended Shattuck-Saint Mary's Boarding School in Minnesota for the 2002-2003 hockey season. While there, he led the Sabres to the U.S. National Championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattuck-Saint_Mary%27s about the school

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Crosby About Sid the Kid

I saw him the other night in Raleigh and Cam Ward, Carolina's goalie and their defense held him in check. Malkin too. That doesn't happen all the time.

ZachMN
10-07-2007, 05:05 PM

You are correct, sir!

From Wikipedia: Sidney attended Shattuck-Saint Mary's Boarding School in Minnesota for the 2002-2003 hockey season. While there, he led the Sabres to the U.S. National Championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattuck-Saint_Mary%27s about the school

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Crosby About Sid the Kid

I saw him the other night in Raleigh and Cam Ward, Carolina's goalie and their defense held him in check. Malkin too. That doesn't happen all the time.

From what I've heard he is good. A guy I skate with says Ovchekin? is really good too. I don't follow hockey; I just play it.