PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green with another setback

Brando19
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Just as Ahman Green's injured left knee was getting better, Houston's running back was dealt another far more personal setback with news of his stepfather's death.

Edward Scott died of complications from liver cancer Tuesday night in a Houston hospital. The 70-year-old Scott helped raise Green after marrying his mother when he was 6.

"It's tough to handle," Green said. "He was my stepdad, so he raised somebody else's seed. I'm proud of the fact that he took that responsibility and did an awesome job with taking care of me and taking care of my mom growing up."

Green said Scott had prepared him and his family, but it was difficult to watch his stepfather's illness progress while he battled the disease the last five years.

"I feel like a stress is lifted off my back because I didn't want to see him suffer no more," Green said. "To see somebody you love like that go through pain every day, you almost think, 'let's get this over with' because it's almost -- it's torture to see him go through that."

Green, who missed Sunday's game with a bruised knee, returned to practice on Wednesday for the first time in more than a week. Coach Gary Kubiak said he was "encouraged" by Green's return, but that it would be premature to say that he expects him to play this week. He was limited in practice.

"I'm getting better every day," Green said. "We're definitely far away from where we were last week and the way it was feeling and that's a good, positive thing."

Green said he didn't take time away from the team to mourn Scott's death because his stepfather taught him to fight through adversity and "not to worry about him."

"He helped build that confidence and that pride, that willingness to give it all for my team regardless of how I feel," Green said. "I'm never going to take him off my mind, but [football will] ease the pain a little bit."

He did acknowledge that dealing with Scott's illness and his injury simultaneously has been difficult.

"I've just been juggling that, watching the team hurt without me and dealing with my family issues off the field," he said. "It's all been tough. With our jobs we've got to focus and work through all of that, but it's tough to do all of that at once."

Brando19
10-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Poor guy. I wish him nothing but the best. You gotta feel for him.

Carolina_Packer
10-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, condolences to AG and his family. His step father sounded like he was a good man. Probably helped AG become what he is today. Sometimes you wish the timing of players careers could be controlled more. I wish AG was a few years younger and still able to be with us for this season. I understand why it made sense to let him test free agency. He got a great deal for himself, but he seemed like a decent person, and certainly worked hard.

MadtownPacker
10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I wonder if he was very close to him. I remember reading where Ahman's real dad had sold a Nebraska championship ring that Ahman gave him. Actually it was an eBay auction.

superfan
10-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I wonder if he was very close to him. I remember reading where Ahman's real dad had sold a Nebraska championship ring that Ahman gave him. Actually it was an eBay auction.

Ouch. That has to make the family get togethers over the holidays less than pleasant.

Condolences to Ahman, still a big fan of his.

Noodle
10-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm hoping AG gets it together and has a great game next week.

GrnBay007
10-03-2007, 11:59 PM

How rotten!!!

Best of luck to Ahman.

woodbuck27
10-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Heads up Ahman your still my man.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Ahman Green: No Setbacks With Knee
RotoWire.com

Update: Green, who missed the last two weeks because of an injured knee, said he suffered no setbacks in Houston's loss to Jacksonville on Sunday, the Houston Chronicle reports.

Recommendation: "I didn't want no setbacks," Green said. "And there were no setbacks in terms of myself physically. Now we just have to get the offense rolling a little bit better than we did today." This about the only good thing you can say about Houston's ground game, which sputtered to a 2.8 yard per carry average and is ranked 29th in the league with 81.7 rushing yards per game.

Kiwon
10-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Nice to read a story where a step-father actually comes through for his step-son. Condolences to AG.

ZachMN
10-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I just want to know how many games has he missed so far; back when he sign ed with the Texans and everyone was whining I predicted he would miss at least four games this season. I'm glad he got paid and I'm even happier it wasn't at our expense.