PDA

View Full Version : Mini-camp day 3 by CC

RashanGary
05-07-2006, 02:37 PM
SUNDAY, May 7, 2006, 1:36 p.m.

Minicamp Report -- Camp 1, Day 3
One of the first things that strikes you about left guard and second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge is his natural knee bend. That and his quick hands and feet. The Packers spent more time working on run blocking in their new zone scheme – two-man drills where they’d start with a double team before one of the lineman would release to the second level – than on pass protection and that’s where Colledge’s athletic ability was most apparent. When he got beat on pass protection, it was more a breakdown in technique. In making the transition from tackle to guard, Colledge said he was opening up too much, as a tackle normally would, rather than staying square to the line. Colledge weighs 308 pounds, but probably needs to get stronger before training camp. Coach Mike McCarthy agreed with that, but also said Colledge was the prototype for the Packers’ zone blocking scheme.

Simply because of the position he plays, wide receiver Greg Jennings jumped out as much as any draft pick. He’s fluid. He has some burst. He seems to have a natural feel for the game. And he seemed to catch everything that was thrown to him and always with his hands away from his body. There was a drill Sunday where four quarterbacks, spread across the field, were throwing passes to four or five receivers. On one, Jennings ran a deep pattern behind tight end Bubba Franks and spotted the wrong ball. He thought the pass to Franks was his and started coming back to it. But at the last moment, he realized his mistake, changed direction and effortlessly plucked the ball out of the air. His hands aren’t Terry Glenn quick, but they might be the closest thing to it since Glenn was with the Packers in 2002.

As one would expect of the fifth pick in the draft, linebacker A.J. Hawk practiced fast, although he appeared to take a bad angle on a running play in the final team drill Sunday. Not only was Hawk able to keep pace with the speed of the game, he was one of those setting the pace on defense. Also as expected based on all the scouting reports, he practiced with a passion that was evident from the sideline. But it’s hard to get a read on linebackers in non-contact work.

Among the non-drafted free agents who might have a chance are running back Arliss Beach and safety Tra Boger. At 5-foot-10 and 219 pounds, Beach is virtually the same size as Samkon Gado: Just seven pounds lighter. There’s also some resemblance in their running styles. Beach isn’t as explosive, but he showed good vision and cutting ability. The same as Gado, Beach never established himself as a starter in college. He was a part-time starter at Kentucky, but gained only 288 yards on 65 carries last season. Beach said he ran a 4.43 40-yard dash on the pro day at Kentucky. Boger is a 5-11, 210-pound safety from Tulane. His father, Jerome, is an NFL official. Boger showed good ball skills, particularly on an interception Saturday. It was on a deep ball thrown down the middle by rookie quarterback Ingle Martin and intended for free agent receiver Leo Bookman. The ball hung in the air, but Bogar also caught it at the top of his jump.

Veteran wide receiver Robert Ferguson looked healthier and seemed to be playing faster than he did all last season. “I feel great,” said Ferguson. In fact, he said he recently ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 and 4.39 seconds. He said last year he was banged up all season and probably was a half-a-second to a full second slower. Ferguson spent the camp working with the first unit.

Cornerback and fourth-round draft pick Will Blackmon looked impressive in practice Sunday. In 7-on-7, he ran step-for-step on a deep sideline pass to rookie wide receiver Cory Rodgers. In the final team session, he maintained tight coverage on veteran Donald Driver on a deep ball.

It might just be that defensive lineman Donnell Washington is clueless. When asked three questions about his situation Sunday, including one about whether the coaches had given him an explanation for why he was being withheld from practice, Washington responded each time, “I don’t know.”

Corey Williams, Colin Cole, Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett rotated working with the first unit at defensive tackle throughout the weekend.

McCarthy said Brett Favre won’t attend the next minicamp, but would participate in 10 of the 14 organized team activities in June. . . McCarthy also said no decision had been made yet on whether rookie nose tackle Johnny Jolly needs surgery.

Ferguson lookes great........AGAIN.....LOL We'll see how long this lasts.

Joemailman
05-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Donnell Washington is my candidate for First Veteran To Be Cut. Another Sherman draft day trade-up that was a complete bust. Glad those days are behind us.

BF4MVP
05-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Veteran wide receiver Robert Ferguson looked healthier and seemed to be playing faster than he did all last season. “I feel great,” said Ferguson. In fact, he said he recently ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 and 4.39 seconds. He said last year he was banged up all season and probably was a half-a-second to a full second slower. Ferguson spent the camp working with the first unit.
Good to hear. 4.38? That's crazy fast..I didn't think he was that fast..I'm also pumped to hear he worked with the first unit.

Ferguson lookes great........AGAIN.....LOL We'll see how long this lasts.
For the Packers' sake I hope it lasts the whole season..Last season was brutal for Packer fans and for Fergie fans..

RashanGary
05-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Whats up with you and T.J./Fergi...

They constantly disappoint.

BF4MVP
05-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I tend to pick my favorites. I see nothing wrong with that. Thank you. :roll:

Fergie sucked last year..I have admitted that..It's a new season..

How does TJ constantly disappoint? He's a young player who had an up and down season..It happens with just about every young player..What the hell did you expect? Plus he hadn't played basketball in a year and a half prior to this season..

RashanGary
05-07-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm not knockin ya...

I do the same but I jump off their wagon as soon as they stink it up for a couple of seasons.

BF4MVP
05-07-2006, 09:05 PM
I see. Thanks for clearing that up :D

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I tend to pick my favorites. I see nothing wrong with that. Thank you. :roll:

Fergie sucked last year..I have admitted that..It's a new season..

How does TJ constantly disappoint? He's a young player who had an up and down season..It happens with just about every young player..What the hell did you expect? Plus he hadn't played basketball in a year and a half prior to this season..

Stop being so nice again; Fergie has sucked at WR every year, not just last.
Inconsistent Chambers wanna be is what he is

GBRulz
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm a little surprised that MM is letting Favre out of the next minicamp. Unless the next one is geared more towards rookies or something.

Patler
05-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Donnell Washington is my candidate for First Veteran To Be Cut. Another Sherman draft day trade-up that was a complete bust. Glad those days are behind us.

Sorry, Diggs and Thomas already have first and second places for that award!

Patler
05-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm a little surprised that MM is letting Favre out of the next minicamp. Unless the next one is geared more towards rookies or something.

Favre told MM that he hadn't decided yet whether to drive or fly to GB for the next one, and he wasn't sure how soon he might be able to make up his mind. MM then told him to take as much time as he needed, even if it took until the following camp for him to be sure.

MM did assure Favre that they WANTED him for both camps, so that shouldn't be an issue!

. :D :lol: :D :lol:

GBRulz
05-07-2006, 10:37 PM
thanks for the clarification....oh facetious one :lol:

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 10:37 PM

Favre told MM that he hadn't decided yet whether to drive or fly to GB for the next one, and he wasn't sure how soon he might be able to make up his mind. MM then told him to take as much time as he needed, even if it took until the following camp for him to be sure.

MM did assure Favre that they WANTED him for both camps, so that shouldn't be an issue!

. :D :lol: :D :lol:

Bulldog Humor

HarveyWallbangers
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
A new Pickett in Green Bay

With all the excitement that has surrounded the signing of free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson, free-agent tackle Ryan Pickett seemed to slip a little under the radar this mini-camp. But that doesn't mean that he wasn't being watched intensely by the coaching staff. For Pickett, a six-year veteran, the move to Green Bay has provided a fresh start that he looks to turn into season of fruitful reward.

"I'm excited because I'm starting all over again," Pickett said. "I'm learning stuff that I've never learned before and I'm excited about learning it. Coach (Bob) Sanders' defense, I think, is going to be phenomenal. I'm loving it ... It feels like my first year playing football."

RashanGary
05-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I think he's going to be better than Grady. I think a lot of people over-rated what Grady did.

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't think Grady was over-rated. He made a difference every season in GB. I'd like to see him resigned to vet min contract.

The Packers look very tough at defensive tackle now. I'm much more concerned about KGB returning as a starter at end. I don't much like Kenny Peterson as a DE, he's better at tackle, but maybe he will improve this season like he did last year, and
provide some strength at DE.

Noodle
05-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Why do you say Grady's play was over-rated? From what I saw, he provided a stout presence at the point of attack and really helped the run defense.

If anything, I think Grady's underappreciated. Maybe Pickett will make us forget him, but I hope the big fella joins the Pack for the ride this year.

GBRulz
05-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Agreed Blue. There was a big difference when Grady was playing. He provided an instant boost to our D.

Patler
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't think Grady was over-rated. He made a difference every season in GB. I'd like to see him resigned to vet min contract.

The Packers look very tough at defensive tackle now. I'm much more concerned about KGB returning as a starter at end. I don't much like Kenny Peterson as a DE, he's better at tackle, but maybe he will improve this season like he did last year, and get provide some strength at DE.

I think Montgomery might be the only hope for getting KGB off the filed more than last year. I sure hope he developes.

Badgepack
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM
If Grady can come back at min. $, bring him in.

He always is overweight, complaining, and hurt, but dang he clogs the middle.

HarveyWallbangers
05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Grady provided a huge lift for the interior run defense--much like Gilbert Brown when he was young and healthy. Grady is really old now though. I wouldn't trust him to anything longer than a one year contract.

Montgomery has to be the guy they are counting on at DE. Hopefully, he doesn't pull a Kevin Barry or Donnell Washington. Hopefully, he realizes this is his time to make an impact in the NFL... to prove he belongs.