PDA

View Full Version : Romo's future $$ vs. Favre

digitaldean
10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
PFT.com

Brett's salary is $10 million/season last time I checked, given the numbers Tony Romo may get Brett looks like a bargain!

Man, pay me the difference between these 2 for just one year and I'm set!!!
____
EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE TAG FOR ROMO WILL COST $14 MILLION

If the Cowboys can't work out a long-term deal with quarterback Tony Romo, and if owner Jerry Jones chooses to restrict completely Romo's ability to shop himself as a free agent, the one-year tender will cost $14 million, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

That's the anticipated average value of the five highest-paid quarterbacks in 2008, based on their 2008 cap numbers.

And, if Romo is going to be franchised, it's very likely that the Cowboys will need to use the exclusive franchise tag. Otherwise, the non-exclusive tender of $10.7 million will allow Romo to sign an offer sheet with another team in exchange for two first-round draft picks.

Sure, two first-round draft picks would be a stiff price to pay. But when one first-round pick gives a team a 50-50 shot at best at finding a quarterback who can become a decent starter, two first-rounders for a franchise quarterback is a no-brainer.

Under the rules of the franchise tag, Romo's tender would shoot to $16.8 million if the Cowboys were to franchise him for a second season. That's $30.8 million for two years.

Suddenly, $30 million in guaranteed money doesn't sound too bad.

It's a good thing for the Cowboys that Romo claims he doesn't want that much.

LEWCWA
10-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't want that much either, but I'll take it! :P

Charles Woodson
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Correct me if im wrong but when Brett signed his current deal, wasnt it huge? i mean salarys just go up every year. You also have to add in the fact of bretts age. If he was romos age he would be making that salary.

ZachMN
10-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah, at the time I remember it was the first 100 million dollar deal I believe?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I also remember thinking 'three years and he's gone' LOL Yeah right, the story about Blanda on JSO made me think, Favre will have to be injured to quit. Blanda said he'll never just walk away with the attitude he has. Blanda might be right. That 'Aww shucks' stuff is like Larry Bird and Gretzky, they are easy goin, nice until the game starts then they will try to cut out your heart. Hopefully Brett plays until his arm literally falls off. That would be awesome. Leave nothing on the field.

cheesner
10-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah, at the time I remember it was the first 100 million dollar deal I believe?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I also remember thinking 'three years and he's gone' LOL Yeah right, the story about Blanda on JSO made me think, Favre will have to be injured to quit. Blanda said he'll never just walk away with the attitude he has. Blanda might be right. That 'Aww shucks' stuff is like Larry Bird and Gretzky, they are easy goin, nice until the game starts then they will try to cut out your heart. Hopefully Brett plays until his arm literally falls off. That would be awesome. Leave nothing on the field.To the best of my memory, someone signed for more than $100M just prior to Favre. I remember a sports reporter saying that now someone has signed over $100m, who deserves it. I think Manning signed a short while later for even more bucks.