View Full Version : JS "SACKED EXPECTATIONS"

Bretsky
10-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Sacked expectations
Jenkins struggling as pass rusher
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 4, 2007

Green Bay - The way Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins was getting to quarterbacks during training camp and the exhibition season, one would have thought he'd be leading the league in sacks by now.

Defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins has battled nagging injuries and hasn't recorded a sack after signing a lucrative contract in the off-season.
But four games into the season, he has none, one fewer than 340-pound nose tackle Ryan Pickett and six fewer than New York Giants end Osi Umenyiora had Sunday against Philadelphia.

In the off-season, the Packers gave Jenkins a four-year, $16 million contract that included $5.3 million in bonuses because of his strong finish in 2006. Proving to be an effective pass rusher from both the tackle and end spots and a solid run defender at end, Jenkins took end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila's starting spot the final three games and responded with 15 tackles and three sacks.

When camp began, the Packers looked like geniuses. Jenkins appeared almost unblockable at times and poised for a breakout season.

But once the regular season started, a series of injuries befell Jenkins, starting with leg cramps in the season opener against Philadelphia, then a wrist injury against the Giants and then a side injury against San Diego. The pulled muscle in his side has been the most debilitating and it could limit his playing time Sunday against Chicago.

"It's something where I just have to be patient and sacks will come," Jenkins said. "I'm trying to get back healthy. It (his side) is still sore. I'm still trying to protect it some. It's one of those things lingering for a while. I'm not stressing over it. I have been getting pressure; I have been doing some good stuff."

The coaching staff isn't stressing over it, either, because they've been getting sack production from Gbaja-Biamila (4½ sacks), end Aaron Kampman (2½) and defensive tackle Corey Williams (two). They certainly weren't worried about it Sunday against Minnesota when quarterback Kelly Holcomb was sacked five times.

But in Week 2 they didn't get their hands much on Giants quarterback Eli Manning and in Week 3 Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers was sacked just twice. As the season wears on, the Packers are going to need their full complement of pass rushers to keep the pressure on.

"To be honest, he is off to a slow start," defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn said Thursday. "He's been dinged up a little bit, real nagging stuff. He has to get it taken care of. It's part of the game. He has to fight through this stuff and stay focused.

"Is he playing bad? No. Is he playing like he could be playing? No."

Nunn made it clear that sack numbers weren't the only way to judge performance and Jenkins' seven deflected passes definitely weren't something to sneeze at. But the 6-foot-2, 303-pound lineman, who plays end on early downs and tackle on passing downs, clearly isn't making the impact the team expected.

Since suffering the side injury, Jenkins has practiced only on a limited basis with the hope of gaining strength as the week goes on. Nunn said it was obvious to him that Jenkins doesn't have the same burst he normally does and that injuries are the reason why.

"It's his quickness," Nunn said. "He's not as sudden as he has been. He's not as sudden as he could be. That's his major strength, his suddenness, his quickness. When you take that edge off of him, it's hard for him to do the things he's used to doing and what we're used to see him doing."

Nunn said it was imperative for Jenkins to stay focused on treating the injury every day and doing everything the trainers ask him to do. In the meantime, he and defensive coordinator Bob Sanders will determine whether sitting Jenkins down for a week or greatly limiting his play would help him get over the injury.

There's a good chance that Chicago left tackle John Tait won't play Sunday because of an ankle injury, meaning Jenkins would get a chance to play against backup John St. Clair, a crafty but less-talented veteran. But if Jenkins isn't 100% then it might just be better to let Gbaja-Biamila, Williams and Johnny Jolly take some of the snaps Jenkins normally receives.

"We're going to probably adjust his reps a little bit and see how it goes," Nunn said. "We have to get a feel for it. We'll make that decision after we see him go Friday and see how he feels Saturday. Right now, we're thinking he's planning on playing. He's in the in-between area right now."

Jenkins wants to play and figures he'll have time to heal during the bye week of Oct. 21. He insists his play against the run has been solid and that he can take the pounding that comes with playing against mammoth offensive tackles.

Sacks are something he's trying not to worry about.

"I'm not surprised because it happens like that sometimes," Jenkins said of not getting sacks. "I wasn't too excited about the preseason because it was just the preseason. I'm still getting good pressure. I'm just getting to the quarterback a second too late or they're dumping off the ball or I miss a sack. I even had one taken away. It's not like I'm not getting there.

"I just have to continue to improve and find a way to get there a second sooner. I'm not trying to force it."

The Leaper
10-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Defenses are concentrating heavily on Jenkins, and he's been less than 100%. I also think the Packer coaches are telling Jenkins to concentrate on more power moves, because that will wear out the OTs and allow KGB to be even more effective.

Opposing teams are telling their QBs to get the ball out faster, because they know they won't be able to sit back there and dissect the secondary. Take a look at the QB rating of the opposing QBs so far. They are completing only 56% of their passes for a QB rating of 79.0...good for 12th in the league.

And that is including Philip Rivers completing his first 20 passes or whatever against us. McNabb, Manning and Holcomb had very little success against us.

Maxie the Taxi
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree with Leaper. Another contributing factor is that fact that the Packers haven't been a huge blitzing team this season. So the front four has done what it has done without the benefit of LB games and stunts.

rpiotr01
10-05-2007, 09:05 AM
He's been banged up, and some reduced snaps plus the bye should help him.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Cullen has been getting good pressure on the QB. They know they're not going to get more than ~three seconds before they get crushed. Even banged up Jenkins is getting the job done, and once he heals up a bit he'll get that quickness back. For what they're worth, he'll get his sack numbers.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I think this is a non-story. The team is 4-0. The running game has been hammered constantly. It looks like somebody is reaching for a story. I'm sure Cullen wishes he had some sacks, but he hasn't been a weakness.

Bossman641
10-05-2007, 03:39 PM
He's been a little disappointing to me, but not a bust by any means. you can tell he's knicked up, In the preseason he was unblockable and had that quick spin move. He hasn't looked like that in a game...yet. I'm hoping that a lot of our players with these nagging injuries can get healed up during the bye week.