PDA

View Full Version : Packer -Bear Analysis

The Shadow
10-05-2007, 11:52 PM
When the Packers have the ball :
The Bears will start out by leaving their linebackers in shallow coverage in an attempt to negate the Packer slants and other short patterns - and determine if their front 4 can generate legitimate pressure on Favre. I don't think they are that worried about our running game.
If the front 4 can't do it, look for Lovie's defense to assume a Philadelphia Jim Johnson approach, with blitzes coming from all angles.
So : the key is our offensive line.
If they can stand up to the pressure, and make the running game at least respectable, Favre should be able to pick them apart,
When the Bears have the ball :
If I were coordinating, I would not begin with an 8-in-the-box approach. I don't think Benson can effectively run against even our front 7.
I think the Bears will be trying to hit Berrian, Bradley, or perhaps even Hester with the deep ball early to grab the advantage - so I would keep Bigby in the coverage mix, and not be the slightest bit shy about going to the nickel early. It would seem to make sense to be patient; Griese & this offense tend to come up with the ill-advised play often.
I would also keep in mind that the Bears are now a desperate team, and stay wide awake for big gambles.

The Shadow
10-06-2007, 09:51 AM
PS - regarding the running game :
The Bear defensive ends, not the most disciplined bunch, will be desperately looking for sacks & will
almost certainly be taking very wide angles outside to get to Brett.
A few plays to take advantage of their vacated spots would be helpful.

RashanGary
10-06-2007, 11:37 AM
If the Bears try to drop into shallow coverage with the LB's, that would be a good time to run naked screens and check downs in the flat. The Bears have to find a way to cover the whole field. If they try to take away the 5-10 yd range with the LBs and the deep stuff with the S's and CB's, they'll be leaving Morency and Wynn in the flat. It's going to be on Brett to take advantage of what is being offered. If they defend the flat with the LB's and the middle with teh S's, they'll be leaving the likely hood that a CB gets beat deep. The Packers have a complete passing attack that can take advantage of any weakness at any point on the field.

I agree that this is probably a good way to attack the Packers though. If the Packers can ever get a running game they'll be unstoppable. The naked screens and short check downs are not as optimal as a run game because too many things can go wrong liek a dropped pass, an INT or a batted ball. It can work if they are all on the same page, but I'd rather see them get a running game going sooner than later.

RashanGary
10-07-2007, 08:41 AM
I just got done reading the Silverstein artical titled "physical fitness". Apparently, McCarthy wants to punch the Bears in the mouth and his idea of punching someone in the mouth is running the ball and stopping the run. I'm starting to think they are going to try to run it today and that thought kind of worries me. If the Packers try to run, I think they stand a strong chance of failing.

We'll see how it goes I guess, but something tells me we are in for a more run oriented game tonight.

BEARMAN
10-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Last chance, ... ya wanna just call it, and give us the win ? Save lord farve from getting hurt, save ya all the embaresment, ..... yes, ..... no, ..... think on it, ya got all day. :twisted: :duel:

Packnut
10-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Last chance, ... ya wanna just call it, and give us the win ? Save lord Favre from getting hurt, save ya all the embaresment, ..... yes, ..... no, ..... think on it, ya got all day. :twisted: :duel:

Hey Bearman, what's life in the bsmt. of the NFC North like? It must really SUCK!

Scott Campbell
10-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Last chance, ... ya wanna just call it, and give us the win ? Save lord Favre from getting hurt, save ya all the embaresment, ..... yes, ..... no, ..... think on it, ya got all day. :twisted: :duel:

Before the season started, I didn't like our chances too much in this game. But after watching the Bears self destruct in every possible way for the first month, I'm feeling much better about it. The Packers no longer have to play their best just to hang with this vile and putrid team. They just have to suck less than the Bears suck, and that hasn't proven easy thus far in 07.

Bearman was shooting his mouth off about how great Grossman was going to be just a few weeks ago. And he's running his mouth again now - I suppose he feels he has to. That's what Bear fans do. But it's phony bravado. It's total B.S., and at times he hasn't been able to mask his contempt for their plight. Even if they manage to pull off a win today, this is a severely neutered Bear team. Were privledged to be witnessing one of the most spectacular collapses of a Superbowl team in modern football history. And it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

BEARMAN
10-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Hey Bearman, what's life in the bsmt. of the NFC North like? It must really SUCK!

You KNOW ! The pack has been there alot in the last few years ! :twisted:

Scott Campbell
10-07-2007, 09:27 AM

Yeah, but never so suddenly and unexpectedly.

Iron Mike
10-07-2007, 09:29 AM

Umm, apparently in addition to sucking at spelling, you also suck at math:

NFC North
2002 Green Bay Packers 12-4-0
2003 Green Bay Packers 10-6-0
2004 Green Bay Packers 10-6-0
2005 Chicago Bears 11-5-0
2006 Chicago Bears 13-3-0

RashanGary
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM

If once in 15 years at the bottom is alot, then yes, the Packers have been there a lot :)

The Shadow
10-07-2007, 04:01 PM
A Bear collapse of epic proportions is always a hoot.
My favorite part : watching their 'fans' turn on their beloved team so quickly!

The Shadow
10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
We have the defense to keep us in any game.
Tonight's game prospectus is just like the first 4 games : if
Favre continues to manage the offense effectively with smart
decision-making, we will win.

Rastak
10-07-2007, 05:41 PM
We have the defense to keep us in any game.
Tonight's game prospectus is just like the first 4 games : if
Favre continues to manage the offense effectively with smart
decision-making, we will win.

Manage the offense effectively? The dude is playing lights out.

The Shadow
10-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Smart is the key.

The Shadow
10-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Smart is the key.

It always seems thus.