PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Angle on Packers' Resurgence

vince
10-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure I buy into everything this guy is saying, but I do think he's right about the fact that this young team is rallying around the greatest player they'll ever play with. Brett Favre's mere presence is causing them to play a little more inspired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071005&sportCat=nfl

During Larry Bird's last two years on the Celtics, when his back was killing him and he was just about cooked, Dee Brown and Brian Shaw showed up, Reggie Lewis was coming into his own, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish were healthy again, Eddie Pinckney was emerging off the bench ... suddenly, they were playing fast-break basketball and Bird's game was completely rejuvenated in the process. The most fascinating dynamic? The respect the young guys held for Bird, Parish and McHale -- because of that respect, the youngsters followed instructions, never took a game off and never stopped busting their butts. You could see the reverence they had for the older guys, just like you could see how much the old guys loved playing with them. Even though they never made the Finals because Bird kept getting hurt, those were meaningful seasons for everyone who cared about the Celtics. Like two generations colliding. Everyone had the right level of urgency, as well as the proper level of appreciation for what was happening.

We're seeing the same thing happen with Favre and the Packers right now. It's not that "he's having fun" and "he's managing the game" and all the crap that the talking heads are spewing. This goes deeper -- it's about a seemingly washed-up superstar who landed in the right situation, realizes it, appreciates it, embraces it and, invariably, his skills regenerated and his team reinvigorated itself in the process. Everyone keeps mentioning how much fun Favre is having; nobody is mentioning his teammates. Each guy looks happier than the next, and if you think these guys aren't killing themselves to make sure Favre succeeds, you're crazy. (NFL Films caught a great moment before the Vikings game when each of his receivers was talking about how much he wanted to catch No. 421.) Most of them are young enough to remember watching Favre in his prime, and most of them are smart enough to appreciate that they've become part of something that's bigger than just a typical 4-0 season. Throw in Lambeau and it's the most amazing sports story in awhile. I just wish the Packers had a running game. Or even the mirage of a running game.

LL2
10-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I can see the similarities between the Celtics during Bird last couple years and Favres this year. I watched more basketball back during Bird's last few years than I do now and I can remember Bird laying on the floor of the basketball court trying to get his back pain to subside and the other players pulling for him. Fortunately Favre doesn't need breaks to relieve pain, but the younger guys are pulling for him. It also helps to have players that never slack off at other positions like Kampman. Even if the Packers do not make the SB it will be remembered as a great season, proving they do not have a mid-season collapse.

Patler
10-06-2007, 01:29 PM
I was somewhat going along with what he wrote, until I read this:

This goes deeper -- it's about a seemingly washed-up superstar who landed in the right situation, realizes it, appreciates it, embraces it and, invariably, his skills regenerated and his team reinvigorated itself in the process.

The last two season were not Favre at his best, but he was a long way from washed up. If that is the premise upon which his opinion is based, his opinion is worthless.

vince
10-06-2007, 02:15 PM
As I said, I don't agree with everything he said, but his premise is based on a strong admiration and respect of a legendary performer who is on the backside of his career on the part of a younger generation of players to the extent that the younger players are perhaps performing with a greater sense of urgency and responsibility as a result.

That isn't a worthless notion. I'd say, based on what I've seen from this group, it has credence.

ZachMN
10-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I would add that having a great player, and its the intangibles here, not just raw talent, that sometimes brings things out of players. Right now we seem to have the right coach with the right attitude and young hungry players who sense and feed off of the things that Favre brings to the table. His enthusiasim is so contagious- he is so honest when he is on the field win or lose. Its no mystery why so many people around the world love the guy...

woodbuck27
10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I see Favre more relaxed and certainly having more fun so far this season and certainly that since game 1 Vs Philly.

Favre is dead on with his throws. His release is smooth and fast. His arm strength is still excellent. Maybe that is due to his later start this off season in starting to throw the football.

Last three games he got better protection and time to throw with the backfield more dedicated to pass protection. If they cannot run for decent yardage they must block, is the call.

Then. . .

The receivers only have to run the correct route, but it seems to me we are seeing a lot of slants and that somewhat simplifys errors in running routes.

Also where we saw a lot of dropped balls last season the WRs and TEs are more sure handed so far this seson. . .knock on wood.

I would feel more comfortable if we could even reach 100 yards rushing as a goal. I am afraid that Favres arm may fall off. :)

It is good we just have Chicago and Washington and then a Bye week for Favre to rest and assist in players healing.

If we beat the Bears. I see hope that we go into that Bye Week 6-0.

Yet still it is one game at a time.

GO PACKERS!