PDA

View Full Version : Packers History

falco
10-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Falco was digging through his junk and found the program his grandfather had given him from the game he attended on October 13, 1940, of the Green Bay Packers vs the Cleveland Rams.

Featured in the program:

E.L. Lambeau, coach ("now in his 23rd year, boasting the longest continous service record of any national league coach, and also operates an insurance agency").

A nice advertisement about how the green bay packers drink KNOX GELATINE, a "food that fights fatigue").

featured packers in the program are Clark Hinkle, fullback, Lou Brock, halfback, Don Hutson, end ("best known end in football today"), Arnorld Herber, halfback ("operates a mens clothing store in De Pere")

squad lists set to an advertisement for Chesterfield Cigarettes ("do you smoke the cigarette that satisfies???")

My grandpa frequently attended packer games in the late 30's/early 40's. He said Hutson really was that good.

GrnBay007
10-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Wow, what a great keepsake!

BF4MVP
10-06-2007, 05:55 PM
That's pretty sweet, thanks for sharing. Arnie Herber was a quarterback though, he must have played halfback some of his career and I didn't know about it.

KYPack
10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
That's pretty sweet, thanks for sharing. Arnie Herber was a quarterback though, he must have played halfback some of his career and I didn't know about it.

Herber was the passer, but not the quarterback. It's difficult to understand now, but Packer passers until 1948 or so, were halfbacks in the single wing or Notre Dame Box offense. There is no QB in those offenses, just halfbacks that would do the passing.

Herber was one of those guys. Sometimes modern writers will call players like Isbell, Herber, etc QB's, so modern readers will understand, but they vweren't quarterbacks. if you look up their statistics, you will see all of 'em had a large number of rushes, because they both ran and threw.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2007, 04:02 PM
I was at that game. Pack won 31-14. Hutson scored three times.

falco
10-07-2007, 04:09 PM

grandpa??? :shock:

BallHawk
10-07-2007, 05:04 PM

Man, how old were you when you were at that game?

Carolina_Packer
10-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Don't know if you've seen this web site, but it has some great Packer history; photos, press clippings.

http://www.packerpalace.com/index2.html

retailguy
10-07-2007, 06:42 PM

definitely not as old as you are today. He "might" have been as old as you claim to be. :P

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2007, 09:04 PM

I was just kidding. :) (I'm old, but not that old.)