PDA

View Full Version : Question about lifting weights

GrnBay007
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
My son wants to start lifting weights and has been asking me to buy some. Is 10 yrs. old too young to lift weights?

If not, any suggestions on what to buy? I don't want to walk into a store and end up buying way more than what he would need/use at this age.
Anyone know anything about this?

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
My son wants to start lifting weights and has been asking me to buy some. Is 10 yrs. old too young to lift weights?

If not, any suggestions on what to buy? I don't want to walk into a store and end up buying way more than what he would need/use at this age.
Anyone know anything about this?

I don't know if there is a "too young" for weight lifting. Don't think it can hurt him and he can learn to lift weights correctly and learn values of staying fit. That being said, and I'm remembering long ago when I was in school, I've been told weight training really won't have a positive effect in terms of building strength til middle school years.

At this stage, a cheap set of weights would be suffice. Bench for the bench press, one bar for the bench press, and something for the arm curls would be suffice. Truth be told at age 10 I'd probably try to find a nice set at rummage sales; in our area that would be fairly easy. Not sure about your surroundings though.

GBRulz
05-07-2006, 10:50 PM
From what i've heard, weight lifting for boys is not recommended if they are under 13 years old. I would assume that each situation is different though, depending upon their size.

I would get him a YMCA Membership, go that route. From my own personal experience, I knew nothing about weights, what machines to use, etc. They have a trainer that will work with you about proper size weights to use, how to use them, etc. You won't get that kind of training/education from a sales rep trying to sell you equipment somewhere IMO.

swede
05-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I asked the high school weight trainer about this when my twelve year old son wanted to start. He said that most people are overly cautious about this. So, I don't believe that ten is too young to begin lifting weights. It may, however, be a little early to invest in a lot of the hardware since his physical size won't match a lot of the equipment. Equipment questions are better answered by someone besides me. I'd check in two or three different stores that specialize in this area to see what kind of set-ups they'd suggest for young lifters.

(After you know what to get, I like Bretsky's suggestion about used equipment)

Your son should limit himself to lifting weights that he can move 10-15 repetitions in one set. With rests in between, he can do three sets working the same muscle groups. He should Keep track of what he is doing and give an equal amount of work to the push muscles and the pull muscles.

Free weights are thought to be better than resistance machines because your muscles are forced to keep weights in balance and distribute the load equally from left to right.

Workouts really REALLY should include core muscle training. For every time he hauls out the iron and works on his guns he should also hit the floor and do his crunches and leg lifts. Stomach and back muscles are essential to athletic movement. That is what Brett Favre worked on with his personal trainer the off-season before.

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I agree that free weights are better, and the goal of your son at that age should be toning with sets of 10-15 rather than figuring out his max with each exercise. Late Middle School and HS is when you start worrying about increasing strenght. Maybe he just wants to look a little better for the chicks ? :wink:

Deputy Nutz
05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't strap a 10 year old down with a bunch of free weights. That could be a little dangerous with out trained supervision.

At 10 I would get him some dumbells that weigh between 10 and 15 pounds. He can do arm curls, and shoulder presses. If he has a bench he could even do bench presses. That is pretty much all I would let my kid do at the age of ten, unless you want to buy one of those complicated 16-1 machines with cables and stuff.

Take him to a sporting good store and let him lift a couple of dumbells to see which ones will work. If he can curl a dumbell more than ten times, he should keep moving up in weight, otherwise they will be to light for him in a couple of months. Really I wouldn't let him go any higher than 15 pounds though.

Weight lifting isn't going to stunt his growth or make him too stiff, those are just myths, but realize that his muscles are just beginning to develop and he will need to take it easy. Lots of reps not too much weight.

swede
05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
I think you're probably right, Nutz. A typical bar weighs 45-55 pounds and that's already a lot of weight for a little guy.

Dumbells will make him feel like he's pushing iron.

Do work on the core muscle training though. Any safe floor exercises that increase abdominal and back muscles and increase flexibility in the legs and hips are useful to developing an athlete.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Before moving forward with any of this advice, the real question that must be answered is why does he want to lift? What is it he expects to gain from it.

While i am not against lifting weights at his age, though I personally think it is bit young, I can think of other things that would be much more beneficial. For example, if he plays basketball, working on dribbling with his off hand or making a layup with his weak hand.

You can always gain strength and put on weight, but as you get older learning a sport is tougher.

At 10 he probably has some sports he likes, and he should be working on mastering the fundamentals of them. Fielding grounders, hitting the strike zone, proper shooting form, good follow through in tennis, etc.

Little Whiskey
05-08-2006, 03:46 PM
...., proper shooting form,....

http://www.dto.com/images/managed/4028.jpg

No Mo Moss
05-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I agree with Nutz here. You can do pretty much anything you want with some 10-15 lbs dumbells. I still work out with dumbells myself, they're cheap too so if he isn't challenged by the weight you can easily buy the next heavier set for like 15 bucks.

Sparkey
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
If he starts lifting, even only toning excerises...DO NOT FORGET

TEACH HIM HOW TO STRETCH!!! If he lifts too much and does not work on keeping his flexiblity it will do him no good except to look good in a tank.

There are a ton of guys who are bulked up and look stronger than an ox, but they have so little flexibilty they can't swing a baseball bat, or a golf club or even draw a compound bow.

Flexibilty is so important, I dare so even more important than brute strength. A good balance of the two is best. Remember toom, that at that age, bone structure and tendon structure is changing and not fully developed. A friend I know lifted like crazy in 7th grade. Got pretty big, then grew like 7 inches in two years and he had tons of problems cause he lost his felxibilty cause he muscles were too tight. Ruptered a knee tendon just jogging the bleachers.

Yes, an extreme example, but at that age caution is important.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-08-2006, 05:44 PM
If he starts lifting, even only toning excerises...DO NOT FORGET

TEACH HIM HOW TO STRETCH!!! If he lifts too much and does not work on keeping his flexiblity it will do him no good except to look good in a tank.

There are a ton of guys who are bulked up and look stronger than an ox, but they have so little flexibilty they can't swing a baseball bat, or a golf club or even draw a compound bow.

Flexibilty is so important, I dare so even more important than brute strength. A good balance of the two is best. Remember toom, that at that age, bone structure and tendon structure is changing and not fully developed. A friend I know lifted like crazy in 7th grade. Got pretty big, then grew like 7 inches in two years and he had tons of problems cause he lost his felxibilty cause he muscles were too tight. Ruptered a knee tendon just jogging the bleachers.

Yes, an extreme example, but at that age caution is important.

Great, point. That is what I was alluding to, in regards to what is his goal. Let's say he wants to lift because he watches WWF (or whatever it is called) and dreams of becoming a wrestler. I would say it is more important learning how to wrestle, fall, balance, act, etc. then it is to work on getting big at his age.

When I was a kid, it was bigger, faster, stronger. But, we all know now how important flexibility is for almost all sports. And, studies have shown that stretching is key to building muscles.

Thinking about it, i would have him do pushes, pullups, crunches, etc. You can certainly get tone doing that, but more importantly it would show me the discipline needed before purchasing weights.

GrnBay007
05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great information and suggestions.

I asked him why he wants to lift weights and he says because he wants to be stonger. He doesn't watch any of those wrestling shows so I'm sure it's not that he's fascinated with them. This was the first year he tried wrestling and he told me 1/2 way through the only reason he wanted to wrestle was because he thought it would make him stronger.

Baseball, football and track are his favorites. I had him read through the responses here with me .....and let him know you guys are all almost professionals....so he should pay attention. :wink:

He says he wants to start with dumbells and it sounds like that's a good place to start. I guess I was just worried if 10 is too young and could cause any damage.

Oh yeah...B, he thought your comment on looking good for the chicks was gross! (whewww :wink: )

Bretsky
05-08-2006, 11:19 PM
dumbells are a good idea to start; just work on good form and repititions. Honesly he's not going to really get stronger lifting weights at age 10 and the focus needs to stay on toning. But if he develops good lifting habits he'll be primed to get bigger a bit later when his body is ready for it.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Never let your boy lift weights before he becomes a teenager, and never let your boy throw a curve ball before he can shave. Things to live by--no matter what the coach says. That's from friends of mine who played college sports. The worst thing that can happen to a young kid is for adults to treat him like he's some athlete with a mature body. Let him go out and be a kid. Instead of having him concentrate on lifting weights, push him to become a "gym rat." He'll end up liking the sport a lot more. Ideally, at a young age, your son will take an interest in several sports that he can fill the calendar year round with (e.g. football in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in the spring, tennis in the summer).

GrnBay007
05-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Never let your boy lift weights before he becomes a teenager, and never let your boy throw a curve ball before he can shave. Things to live by--no matter what the coach says.

Let him go out and be a kid. Instead of having him concentrate on lifting weights, push him to become a "gym rat."

Now you have to expand on this Harv.....why no lifting before being a teenager?
I'm not worried about the curve ball.....he plays 1st and shortstop.

I'm not worried about him being obsessed with this weight lifting.....he's well rounded.....bike riding, practicing sports in the yard, video games.....all the usual kid stuff. But if he's interested in it.......what's the harm in it?

Homer Jay
05-09-2006, 12:22 AM
I checked a few places online and found 2 main rules.

1. If it's something he wants to do and isn't being pushed into it 10 is not too young.
2. Make sure he has supervision and that he isn't just trying to lift as much as he can. That's where injuries occur.

GrnBay007
05-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Harv, I think I know what you mean by adults treating their kids like they have an adult body. The parent behavior once your kids get into organized sports is unbelievable. That's not me. The only thing I "push" my kids at is good grades. I might be right or wrong, but in our home the discussion of college has never been optional.

As far as sports go...or other outside school activities ....there are two main rules. If you want to try something, that's great.....but you won't quit 1/2 way through...you'll stick it out. Second, it can't affect your grades.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Never let your boy lift weights before he becomes a teenager, and never let your boy throw a curve ball before he can shave. Things to live by--no matter what the coach says. That's from friends of mine who played college sports. The worst thing that can happen to a young kid is for adults to treat him like he's some athlete with a mature body. Let him go out and be a kid. Instead of having him concentrate on lifting weights, push him to become a "gym rat." He'll end up liking the sport a lot more. Ideally, at a young age, your son will take an interest in several sports that he can fill the calendar year round with (e.g. football in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in the spring, tennis in the summer).

I'm with you Harvey.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2006, 01:24 AM

Oh yeah...B, he thought your comment on looking good for the chicks was gross! (whewww :wink: )

Umm, so he wants to look good for the boys? :mrgreen:

Anti-Polar Bear
05-09-2006, 04:42 AM
Why lift as a kid when you can always start using steroid as a teenager? I wonder how much better I would be in high school if I used steroid. Alas, my football legacy ends with shutting down Darren Charles.

One of my few regrets as a teenager is that I've never used steroid. I could've been the Travis Jervey of CBs, or better, another Jason Sehorn; or even better, the Barry Bonds of football. :sad:

Little Whiskey
05-09-2006, 07:49 AM

I .....and let him know you guys are all almost professionals....so he should pay attention. :wink:

so what did he think of proper shoot'n form????

great the kid can throw a baseball, hit a golf ball, but can he shoot??? teach him the fundementals!!! shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive!! :lol:

mraynrand
05-09-2006, 09:08 AM
One important thing to remember is that a ten year old boy most likely has not gone through puberty. A lot of young boys, expecially if they are smaller, want to get bigger and stronger to match the guys growing up fast around them. If they haven't gone through puberty, they just won't build much muscle mass. They are bound to get a little frustrated at putting in a lot of work and seeing no great results. I think Harvey is right on the money. Encourage a ten year old to try a lot of different sports, until he (or she) finds one or several that they really like. The exercise will keep them in shape and will establish a life-long pattern of physical activity, that is more important than getting bigger.

If they want to get stonger, just encourage them to do a lot of push-ups and situps (crunches) and definately teach them how to stretch (best after a warm up) and again after exercising.

Deputy Nutz
05-09-2006, 05:26 PM

I asked him why he wants to lift weights and he says because he wants to be stonger. He doesn't watch any of those wrestling shows so I'm sure it's not that he's fascinated with them. This was the first year he tried wrestling and he told me 1/2 way through the only reason he wanted to wrestle was because he thought it would make him stronger.

Whatever you do, keep him wrestling. You would be amazed at the strength, body balance, coordination, and quickness that he will develop on the mat. Wrestling also teaches kids about personal responsibility and understanding how to take both winning and losing. Besides you live in Iowa, if he is not wrestling, he ain't living!!!

Charles Woodson
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Never let your boy lift weights before he becomes a teenager, and never let your boy throw a curve ball before he can shave. Things to live by--no matter what the coach says.

Let him go out and be a kid. Instead of having him concentrate on lifting weights, push him to become a "gym rat."

Now you have to expand on this Harv.....why no lifting before being a teenager?
I'm not worried about the curve ball.....he plays 1st and shortstop.

I'm not worried about him being obsessed with this weight lifting.....he's well rounded.....bike riding, practicing sports in the yard, video games.....all the usual kid stuff. But if he's interested in it.......what's the harm in it?

I started lifting weights around 11. You just have to becareful though. I mean im 14 now and im perfectly fine. But i would only give him dumbells. Also if he wants to get stronger, Teach him the proper way to do pushups, Pushups are very good for getting stronger, althought only if done the correct way.

Charles Woodson
05-09-2006, 06:21 PM

Whatever you do, keep him wrestling. You would be amazed at the strength, body balance, coordination, and quickness that he will develop on the mat. Wrestling also teaches kids about personal responsibility and understanding how to take both winning and losing. Besides you live in Iowa, if he is not wrestling, he ain't living!!!

Its also bad for your body. Depending on the coach. At my school, kids go days without eating, I know one Junior who said before a match, so he could wrestle at his weight, he sat in the car, with the heater on high, and 3 layers of close, and made himself throw up.

Also, an excersie that i would not do at his age, is squats.

Joemailman
05-09-2006, 11:00 PM
http://members.cox.net/cappage/image001.jpg

Looks like 007 used those weights for herself! :razz:

GrnBay007
05-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh my! :shock: What big boobies she has.

I must be lifting the wrong weights.

Guiness
05-09-2006, 11:56 PM
I'll try not to repeat too much of what others have said, but mention

-at 10yrs old, grade 5, he's probably sharing a school yard with the grade 6-8. Whoever mentioned that the older boys have hit puberty is right. This might be part of the reason he's looking at this.

-make sure he's doing high reps, not the old SNL skit 'how much can ya bench'

-calistenics, or exercises that use your body weight for resistance are good. Chinups, pushups and situps will increase his strength a lot. Different kinds of chinups, wide grip, narrow grip.
Before you get him the weights, tell him you want to see 3 sets of 10 chins, 3 of 20 pushups and 3 of 30 situps. See if you can do the same with him!

-core strengthening is really neat too. Isometrics and pilates.

Oh ya, lastly, if you do get him weights, avoid the cement filled plastic things. They're awful. And get a proper bar a knurled surface, not a cheap one with a collar.

GrnBay007
05-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I'll try not to repeat too much of what others have said, but mention

-at 10yrs old, grade 5, he's probably sharing a school yard with the grade 6-8. Whoever mentioned that the older boys have hit puberty is right. This might be part of the reason he's looking at this.

-make sure he's doing high reps, not the old SNL skit 'how much can ya bench'

-calistenics, or exercises that use your body weight for resistance are good. Chinups, pushups and situps will increase his strength a lot. Different kinds of chinups, wide grip, narrow grip.
Before you get him the weights, tell him you want to see 3 sets of 10 chins, 3 of 20 pushups and 3 of 30 situps. See if you can do the same with him!

-core strengthening is really neat too. Isometrics and pilates.

Oh ya, lastly, if you do get him weights, avoid the cement filled plastic things. They're awful. And get a proper bar a knurled surface, not a cheap one with a collar.

Actually he's one of the older kids....won't move to middle school until grade 6. He's not small....actually tall for his age, thin but not skinny. He does push ups, sit ups a lot.....not sure how he does with chin ups. I can hang with him on the sit ups, not push ups......lol

I'm not clear on what you mean by....get a proper bar with a knurled surface, not a cheap one with a collar. what is a collar?

GrnBay007
05-10-2006, 08:14 AM
great the kid can throw a baseball, hit a golf ball, but can he shoot??? teach him the fundementals!!! shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive!! :lol:

His dad can teach him to shoot. He taught me....lol

Guiness
05-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Actually he's one of the older kids....won't move to middle school until grade 6. He's not small....actually tall for his age, thin but not skinny. He does push ups, sit ups a lot.....not sure how he does with chin ups. I can hang with him on the sit ups, not push ups......lol

I'm not clear on what you mean by....get a proper bar with a knurled surface, not a cheap one with a collar. what is a collar?

That's good if he's doing the pushups, etc. Then he probably has a good base strength before he starts with weights. 10yrs old, and this interested, eh? How's his co-ordination and balance? Does he want to play on the U11 soccer team I coach???

A knurled bar is a solid bar with a pattern to grip etched/cut into it's surface. The ones with collars are a smooth bar (can be hollow or solid) and a collar that slips over it. It spins, and will drive you mad.

Have a Sears near you?

this is good (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Fitness&pid=00615747000&vertical=FIT&subcat=Weight+Benches+%26+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

this is better (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Fitness&pid=00615748000&vertical=FIT&subcat=Weight+Benches+%26+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

I'd probably suggest the first set for a 10yr old though. The second one has a 7ft bar, which he'll have trouble balancing.

this is bad. (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Fitness&pid=00615745000&vertical=FIT&subcat=Weight+Benches+%26+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

I know there's a big price difference, but the vinyl set will frustrate him, and probably cause him to quit before he know if he likes it or not.

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
since guiness gave some suggestions as to proper equipment, let me do the same.

again we'll focus on fundementals

the shotgun

http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/shotgun/870express[1].jpg

--one of the most common, and widely used shotguns. the rem. 870 express pump. It is also very reliable, and a good all purpose shotgun. I would recommend the 12 gauge due to its versatility for hunting multiple types of game, from birds to deer, that can also be used for clay pigeons. it has been around forever, so the accessories are endless. This gun also has a very nice price.

the rifle

http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/centerfire/smsil_700cdl.jpg

--when anyone talks about the greatest rifles made, this gun usually ranks near the top. the remington 700. very accurate, reliable and easy to maintain. for most shooting applications here in the midwest i would recomend one chambered in 30-06. gives you enough knock down power for hunting without all the recoil. if might travel out west or to Alaska i might suggest the 7mm mag. however target shooting won't be as much fun. for beginers on the target range i would really recomend shooting a 20-20. hardly any felt recoil and ammo is very inexpensive.

4 Wheel Drive

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/-11641i0.jpg

--he's 10 he shouldn't be driving yet!!!! unless it is a RC car.......or till he turns 11 :mrgreen: I remember when i was 10, i was able to drive the truck when we picked up hay bales out on Grandpa's farm. so unless his grandpa is farming he should stick to the RC. at least it is still a Ford!!

Guiness
05-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Well LW, I do like your choice in firearms, even if I can't agree with them wholeheartedly.

I've never been a fan of the all purpose rifle. The 30-06 is a jack of all trades, and a master of none.

Personally, I prefer a pure bush gun for the bush. A lever action action Winchester Model 94. Personal preference is a .32, but they're getting harder to find, so a 30-30 is the way to go.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/images/534111m.jpg

For larger game, moose, etc, Weatherby has some good offerings - the Mark V is a benchmark. Again, a choice of chamberings - .300 Winchester Magnum, or .300 Weatherby Magnum.

http://www.weatherby.com/_images/products/rifles/m5_deluxe.gif

And finally, a good varmint rifle. I'll follow your lead and select a Reminton 700, with the flat shooting .22-250. Groundhogs at 300yards anyone?

Sorry, no opinion on the scattergun. Never use those much myself.

Of course, if you want to start him off more gently, there's always

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/52/Slingshot_%28weapon%29.jpg/200px-Slingshot_%28weapon%29.jpg

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
This thread has gone down hill fast.

Guiness
05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
I've got some great 'groudhog' view photos of some scotsmen hunting in kilts. Not pretty. Do you want to see how far we are from the bottom MJ?

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 02:32 PM
guiness, i was going to throw a lever action in my thread as well, but the recent cowboy scare lead me away from that. everyone ought to have a lever action in there collection. as far as the weatherby goes. great gun, however, my motto is hang trophies on the wall not guns. that weatherby is pretty spendy!! especially for a newby. which is another reason i didn't recomend the .300 chambering. she kicks a little too hard for a 10 year old. in my opinion. get rid of the sling shot. get him a beebee gun instead. that is why the choice of a .22 (that is what i ment to say instead of a 20-20, what is that his eye sight :mrgreen: ) for a plunk around gun. great for improving acuracy, without the recoil. you have the ability to shoot 100 rounds and not have a dead shoulder.

no shotgun?? ever shoot trap?? very addicting

oh ya and zig :shock: :shock: to you!! (to borrow an expression from a loyal dragon fan)

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I've got some great 'groudhog' view photos of some scotsmen hunting in kilts. Not pretty. Do you want to see how far we are from the bottom MJ?

You can't do any worse than some of the stuff Skin's posted... :shock:

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 03:00 PM

uhh, ya i think you can get worse than skin!!! not that i want too, but it could be done.

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 03:01 PM

uhh, ya i think you can get worse than skin!!! not that i want too, but it could be done.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I sense a gross-off coming...

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 03:16 PM
if so, i think you started it. i just morphed this thread in to guns, but actually someone else mentioned "proper shooting form" so i think that is were the blame should go! :mrgreen:

Guiness
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
get rid of the sling shot.

Not a chance. I've bagged more game with one of those than anything else. The one I tend to use is actually this style, with a forearm support
http://www.tbotech.com/Images/Slingshot.jpg

These things are great for rabbit and grouse. Took a turkey with one last year!

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 03:29 PM
[quote=Little Whiskey] Took a turkey with one last year!

are you kidding??? how far out was he? you must be a crack shot. can you shoot an asprine with a long bow as well??? ever watch american shooter on OLN?? their is a sharp shooter who does trick shots. that was one of them. amazing.

Guiness
05-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks. About 25 yards, I'd say. Took a little patience, but he was coming out to a (private) road, and I sat in a lawn chair for a while waiting for him to get close enough. Knocked the Tom out cold.

Yes, I'm a pretty good shot. I can knock down pop cans at 25 yards all day long with one. Had two friends I used to go hunting with all the time when I was a kid, and still carry it as a side arm when I'm out for bigger game. My boys can never figure out what happens to all their marbles!

I've seen a trick shooter on OLN a couple of times - he was pretty amazing. Darby, I think?

What's an Asprine?

Edit: right. An asprin - lol. No, don't really shoot bow, but I'd like to learn.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
if so, i think you started it. i just morphed this thread in to guns, but actually someone else mentioned "proper shooting form" so i think that is were the blame should go! :mrgreen:

Didn't mean it. :razz:

Deputy Nutz
05-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks. About 25 yards, I'd say. Took a little patience, but he was coming out to a (private) road, and I sat in a lawn chair for a while waiting for him to get close enough. Knocked the Tom out cold.

Yes, I'm a pretty good shot. I can knock down pop cans at 25 yards all day long with one. Had two friends I used to go hunting with all the time when I was a kid, and still carry it as a side arm when I'm out for bigger game. My boys can never figure out what happens to all their marbles!

I've seen a trick shooter on OLN a couple of times - he was pretty amazing. Darby, I think?

What's an Asprine?

Edit: right. An asprin - lol. No, don't really shoot bow, but I'd like to learn.

I can show you all a trick shot with my fun gun!!!

"This is my rifle and this is my gun! This one is for killing and this one is for fun!"

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 06:26 PM
nutz, put that thing away before it accidentally goes off in your hand!!

Guiness
05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Any hope of getting this back On Topic? (Is there such a thing in this room?)

007 - what did ya decide?

Little Whiskey
05-11-2006, 02:46 PM

ya 007 was it a shotgun or a slingshot?? :mrgreen:

better yet let your kid come on here and see what he would rather have. a sissy weight bench, or a .44 magnum :mrgreen:

GrnBay007
05-14-2006, 10:11 PM

He really liked wrestling at first and then seemed to get kinda bored with it. BUT, this was his first year and it was put on by the HS coach and some players, so there were no meets. I think that was his problem with it....the excitement of competing was missing. He won't be able to be on an organized team with meets for another 2 years.

GrnBay007
05-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Any hope of getting this back On Topic? (Is there such a thing in this room?)

After reading all, it sounds reasonable to out with the dumbbells and see where it goes from there.

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2006, 08:38 AM

He really liked wrestling at first and then seemed to get kinda bored with it. BUT, this was his first year and it was put on by the HS coach and some players, so there were no meets. I think that was his problem with it....the excitement of competing was missing. He won't be able to be on an organized team with meets for another 2 years.

Hey mom, you gotta get an RV for the summer and take your kid to all the tournaments that happen across the nation! Or better yet, just Iowa. contact USAwrestling at www.usawrestling.org

GrnBay007
05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey mom, you gotta get an RV for the summer and take your kid to all the tournaments that happen across the nation! Or better yet, just Iowa. contact USAwrestling at www.usawrestling.org

I think I could probably squeeze that in. I do still have one evening at home per week. :shock:

...well off to the ballgame. Tonight is a double whammy....watch 1/2 of the baseball game and then get my daughter to her concert.

justanotherpackfan
09-25-2006, 08:37 PM
So, how's the lifting working out so far?

BallHawk
09-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Damn JAPF, you dug deep into the archives to find that one.

justanotherpackfan
09-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Damn JAPF, you dug deep into the archives to find that one.
I looked through all 16 pages.(didn't read all the threads of course)

GrnBay007
09-25-2006, 10:24 PM
So, how's the lifting working out so far?

Not too bad. He's got 8 lb and 10 lb dumbbells he works with. We haven't gone any further yet.

Got a good laugh the other day though....my daughter is in to doing aerobics, sit ups, push ups ... but she always wants someone to do this with her. I heard them arguing downstairs....loud one! Went down the steps to see what's going on. She says he promised to work out with her if she played Madden with him and now he won't do it. He says, I AM working out. I look over and he's layed back in the recliner doing curls with his weights. ...of course with a big grin on his face!!