PDA

View Full Version : M3 - Please play to win

VegasPackFan
10-07-2007, 10:51 PM
I am a M3 supporter...

Hopefully our young coach learns from this that you must go for the jugular when you find that you can exploit a team in some area.

His play calling in the 2nd half was just atrocious.

GO FOR THE WIN, DAMNIT!!!!!!!!

b bulldog
10-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Played not to lose

Jimx29
Worst case of being completely out-coached one half to another.

green_bowl_packer
Totally agree! He played it not to lose, not to win.

mraynrand
10-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Played not to lose

LOL - all these comments probably fro the same guys who want MM to hold Favre 'accountable' - well he held him accountable by running and throwing all check-downs, screens and inside tosses. Favre was 'accountable.'
Now do you feel better?

The Leaper
10-07-2007, 11:01 PM
I said it in the game thread, I'll say it again.

This loss is ENTIRELY on McCarthy to me. Turnovers be damned...we were up 10 points in the second half, and went into a shell on offense. Apparently McCarthy missed the success our offense had in the first 2 quarters spreading the Bears out and attacking them through the air. So, he decided to start coming out in jumbo packages to get 2 yards a run.

That, and the 2 minute drill was about as constipated as I've seen in some time. Favre was sitting there waiting for a snap for 4-5 seconds at least 3 different times...just letting time run off the clock as if it was the 1st quarter.

McCarthy laid an egg in this one. His team came out well, had some setbacks, but still had the game there for the taking in the second half. Favre makes one bonehead throw, and McCarthy goes into full turtle mode. Unacceptable in every way.

vince
10-07-2007, 11:02 PM
The playcalling has something to do with what the team gives you, as does field position. The Bears' Cover 2 D is not one that you can attack downfield consistently. You have to take what they give, and that's the underneath stuff.

OS PA
10-07-2007, 11:06 PM
The playcalling has something to do with what the team gives you, as does field position. The Bears' Cover 2 D is not one that you can attack downfield consistently. You have to take what they give, and that's the underneath stuff.

Which is what we were taking in the first, but for some reason we just played into the Bears hands in the second half. It's like during halftime we looked at what the Bears were doing and wanted to punch them in the mouth.. physical my ass.. we could have had the slants, dives, and play-action pass all day, but the coaches dropped a gigantic turd.

BallHawk
10-07-2007, 11:07 PM
The playcalling was horrible, however.....

In the first half we were getting good field position and had the chance to air it out. In the 2nd half we were getting kicked back by penalties. We were constantly within our own 20.

Field position was big in this game, but nevertheless, you play to win and MM didn't do that.

vince
10-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't disagree that the playcalling was conservative, but they were backed up most of the half. The execution also lacked.

b bulldog
10-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Execution is always the key but some of these plays that were called look almost shermanesque.

Brohm
10-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Field position was big. Of course they should have anticipated that "problem" when they decided to pooch it to the 50 every time they kicked off.

My guess is they figured they would let them have field goals and as long as noone fucked up they would win. Well, everyone was fucking up...and the coaches drooled on themselves in disbelief as the discipline and ball handling flubs cornholed their second half, ultra-conservative game plan.

The Leaper
10-07-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't disagree that the playcalling was conservative, but they were backed up most of the half. The execution also lacked.

And the reason we were backed up was again coaching...as McCarthy decided to start the Bears at the 35-40 yard line all night rather than let Crosby just pound it deep in 80 degree weather.

vince
10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I agree. That kickoff strategy was not a very good tradeoff to kicking it deep... They could have at least pooched it to the 25 or 30 rather than the 40.

RashanGary
10-07-2007, 11:22 PM
The only real issue I had was the fake draw crap. Guys were probably open and then covered by the time Brett got done fiddling around with that crap. It's not like our Oline was getting run over. He didn't need to do that. All it did was get Brett out of his rythym and prevent him from seeing the field.

That said, McCarthy is a young coach. He's goign to make mistakes too. From this point forward, I don't want to see much more of that fake draw crap.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I think losing Scott Wells in the 4th quarter hurt us big time.