PDA

View Full Version : Predict the score: Redskins at Packers

mmmdk
10-08-2007, 03:02 AM
BACK ON THE HORSE - OR BECOME THE DONKEY.

Favre is 3-0 versus Redskins, wow, Packers have only played the Skins 3 times the last 16 seasons! Amazing 'cos it's a NFC team.

Well, it's the PACKERS that has to beat the Redskins, not Favre alone. Turnovers and bad playcalling will not cut it versus HOF coach Joe Gibbs and the Skins awesome D.

I want a Packers win but I see another loss:

Redskins 24 Packers 17

This is not gloom'n'doom - just a prediction. I'm only 2-3 predicting the Pack, so there's hope :D

Badgepack
10-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Packers - 48
Redskins - 47

BallHawk
10-08-2007, 09:05 AM
The Redskins barely beat the Dolphins and then lost to the Giants, a team we beat.

We should win this game. But then again, we should of won last night. I have a feeling, though, that a lot of the mistakes we saw against the Bears will be corrected coming into Sunday's game.

Packers 27

Redskins 13

BEARMAN
10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Skins 27
Pack 13

Cheesehead Craig
10-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Washington has a good defense, they only give up 13 ppg I think. Solid secondary and Jason Campbell is really showing some progress and ability this year. This is a tough game to call.

Packers 20
Washington 17

Joemailman
10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Skins are #8 in both pass defense and run defense, giving up 182 YPG through the air, and 86 YPG on the ground. They have had 12 sacks in 4 games.

Offensively they are just average. They are #19 through the air with just 4 TD passes, but also only 3 INT's. They are #10 in rushing offense with 130 YPG, but their 3.8 average is nothing special. Not a dynamic running game, but they will pound the ball, averaging 34 rushing attempts per game.

Packers 20

Skins 16

DannoMac21
10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Packers 27

Redskins 7

Freak Out
10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
The Pack D needs to win the trench war, slow the Skins run game down and force Campbell to make some mistakes. They do that and win.

Pack - 19

Skins - 13

Deputy Nutz
10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
If the Packers decide to take advantage of their superior passing game against the Skins than I am all for a Packer blow out, but if McCarthy wants to out think himself then I think the Packers go down in a struggle. I think McCarthy will pick his spots to try and run with success off the pass.

Packers 27

Skins 17

the_idle_threat
10-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Pack ----> 3

Skins ----> 1

LEWCWA
10-08-2007, 11:26 PM
pack-23
skins-17

mmmdk
10-09-2007, 04:55 AM
Maybe I have too much respect for HOF Joe Gibbs 'cos this should be a winable game - AT LAMBEAU! I'm also still waiting for Fort Lambeau to return.

Favre is still, by far, our best player and he'll be 38 tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for the defense to dominate in a game this season; the D played stout in week 1 but not dominantly. Week 2-5 has been average and I'm still waiting for AJ HAWK to make a big play. Hawk is active but he's playing like a Hillenmeyer; a roleplayer. Fine, I expect more from AJ and why shouldn't I - Hawk was a better player last season and should take a step forward from last season, not backwards. Some credit must be given to AJ as he helps free up the play of Barnett but they should both be dominating/making big plays.

On defense Barnett, Bigby, Kampman & Harris (with injury) have been the only guys above average every game.

Packers are 4-1 and would've have thought it...yadi yadi yah but that's not the talk of a winner. That's loser talk, the "I'm content Favre is a hero" talk. This is a team sport and I love Favre plus I believe he's one of the best players ever - I'm more championship oriented, not personal records. I do not put any #421 TD wallpaper on my PC. Expect nothing less than winning and if you lose - win the next one. Keep on keeping on. Crazier things have happened; I know that Favre & a few other players know the above but young players and NFL idol (player) fans do not know.

You need a bit of luck too - just ask the Cowboys after their 25-24 MNF win vs Bills. JEEZ :shock:

GBRulz
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
no way does this team go into the bye week riding a 2 game losing streak.

We bounce back big time next week....

PACK 38
SKINS 20

cheesner
10-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Packers 23
Skins 13

mmmdk
10-09-2007, 09:59 AM
no way does this team go into the bye week riding a 2 game losing streak.

We bounce back big time next week....

PACK 38
SKINS 20

That would be sweet but I've got to ask; do you and others make your predictions with your heart or your head?

If it's my heart then it's PACKERS WIN week in, week out. But I do have so much respect for Joe Gibbs and his running attack that control the rock while you have a stout defense plus good ST too. If only a warrior like Edgar Bennett could play tomorrow but then again; our OL is hardly the hogs.

Sparkey
10-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Packers 17
Washington 9

Badgerinmaine
10-09-2007, 12:54 PM
20-13, Packers. The Redskins' wins so far were nice ones, but neither the Eagles or Lions look like a playoff team this year.

mmmdk
10-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Packers - 48
Redskins - 47

A classic; Packers beat SB champs in a shootout. Awesome game.

Him8123
10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Packers 24
Skins 17

The Pack need to step it up a notch and not give up the ball to win this one

Partial
10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Skins are going to be very tough. 27-26 GB

Oscar
10-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Packers 30

Skins 20

MJZiggy
10-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Packers 20
Skins 17

3irty1
10-09-2007, 06:15 PM
IMO this is one of the scarier teams on our schedule. They have some real players on offense and a formidable defense against the pass.

Packers 28
Skins 16

In Favre I trust.

green_bowl_packer
10-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Packers 24
Skins 13

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Green Bay 21, Washington 20

Partial
10-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Green Bay 21, Washington 20

+6 to both :D

oregonpackfan
10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I predict 3M and Favre will get the Packers back on track. In addition, the Packers will resort to having a strong 4th quarter like they have done in their 4 wins.

Packers 31

Redskins 24

superfan
10-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Despite last week's loss, this team is for real and should come out hungry. Will we see last week's first half or second half team? I say somewhere in between. And it will be enough.

Packers 27
Native Americans 17

oregonpackfan
10-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Despite last week's loss, this team is for real and should come out hungry. Will we see last week's first half or second half team? I say somewhere in between. And it will be enough.

Packers 27
Native Americans 17

Superfan,

I like your politically correct use of "Native Americans." :)

Do Washington fans scream, "Go Native Americans!?" :)

deake
10-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Hopefully the turnovers are a thing of the past. Good cover twos give Bret fits. Field goal game me thinks.
GB 13
WASH 9

MadtownPacker
10-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Superfan,

Is mine PC too?

Packers - 20

"Guys who got all their land took away by whiteys" - 19

:lol:

mmmdk
10-11-2007, 08:28 PM
A lot of Packer win predictions - I think people are underestimating the Skins. 30 points vs Skins D? I think Redskins, right now, are a way better team than Bears. Go figure!

MJZiggy
10-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Packers 27
Native Americans 17

Superfan,

Actually, they tend to yell "Go Skins!" and leave color completely out of it.

That reminds me I still need to think of a bet...Hmmmm...

Rastak
10-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Superfan,

Is mine PC too?

Packers - 20

Wasn't it spanish speaking dudes that started kicking arse? Conquistadors?
I guess most of that was further south.....

Back on topic, how the hell can they keep that nickname?

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 08:39 PM

It's not all. Indigenous people control Mexico and California.

KYPack
10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Packers 24
Skins 14

MadtownPacker
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM

It's not all. Indigenous people control Mexico and California.What does this have to do with gangs? We are trying to predict the score...

...you land stealing piece of crap. :flag: :lol:

GrnBay007
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Packers 31

Washington 13

GrnBay007
10-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Great Moments In Packers History...

1932 - The Packers beat the Boston Redskins 21-0 in their first meeting ever.

1936 - After beating the Boston Redskins 31-2 and 7-3, Packers go on to beat the Boston Redskins 21-6 in the NFL Championship game to win their 4th Title.

1939 - After beating the Washington Redskins 24-14, Packers go on to win their 6th NFL Championship Title.

1983 - On ABC Monday Night Football, the Packers beat the Washington Redskins 48-47 in one of the wildest football games in TV history.

Anyone remember the 1983 game? Why do they say one of the wildest? The score being so high and close?

HarveyWallbangers
10-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Anyone remember the 1983 game? Why do they say one of the wildest? The score being so high and close?

I'd say that has a lot to do with it. Not only that, but there were a lot of late scores when the teams went back and forth. Then, a great kicker, Mosley, missed a game winning FG at the end. The Redskins were a great team back then and Green Bay was coming off a '82 playoff appearance. To bad it was the last hurrah until the 1989 season.

HarveyWallbangers
10-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Crunching the Numbers: Redskins-Packers meeting in 1983 one for the record books
By Greg A. Bedard, JSO

Green Bay - Despite the deep and rich history of both franchises, Sunday's game will be just the 11th meeting in the past 39 years between the Washington Redskins and Green Bay Packers.

While there have certainly been some more meaningful games between the teams over the years - including the 1936 NFL Championship game won 21-6 by the Packers and the 16-3 Redskins victory in a 1972 divisional playoff game - there was perhaps been no wilder game than the Monday Night meeting in 1983.

"Do I remember it?" Joe Gibbs said of his first visit to Lambeau Field in his third season as Redskins coach. "Yeah I remember it. I have a lot of bad memories. That was a bad night."

Gibbs probably feels that way because his Redskins lost the game. But Gibbs' feelings are somewhat surprising because the Hall of Fame coach was once one of the most innovative offensive minds in the NFL.

That's because if anything stood out about that Monday night meeting between the Redskins and Packers, which will have happened almost 24 years to the day (Oct. 17, 1983) when the two teams kickoff Sunday, it was the performance by both team's offenses and the explosion of points they produced.

Redskins kicker Mark Moseley missed a 39-yard field goal with three seconds left to give the Packers a 48-47 victory in a game that was literally one for the record books.

It is still the highest-scoring game in the history of Monday Night Football and the Packers franchise. It ranks second on the Redskins' all-time list behind Washington's 72-41 victory over the New York Giants in 1966. And the Packers' record book still lists 15 entries associated with that game.

The two teams combined for 95 points, 1,025 total yards, 771 passing yards, 254 rushing yards, 56 first downs and 11 kickoffs.

And even though the Redskins had 79 more yards and 20 more first downs, the Packers still won under coach Bart Starr.

The Packers, to their credit, averaged a ridiculous 9.1 yards per offensive play. And quarterback Lynn Dickey averaged 17.6 yards per completion (22 of 30 for 387 yards, three touchdowns). Running back Eddie Lee Ivery even padded the Packers' passing stats by completing a 35-yard toss of his own. And tight end Paul Coffman had six catches for 124 yards and two touchdowns.

The action in the final two minutes of the game was fittingly furious.

Trailing the Redskins 47-45 with 2:50 left in the game, the Packers quickly drove into Redskins territory when Dickey hit fullback Gerry Ellis in the right flat on a 56-yard pass play. Washington kept Green Bay out of the end zone, but Jan Stenerud hit a 20-yard field goal with 54 seconds to give the Packers the lead.

The Redskins moved 55 yards in six plays and were primed to ruin the Lambeau Field party of 55,255, but Moseley missed wide right.

Washington would not lose another game and pounded the Los Angeles Raiders 38-9 to win Super Bowl XVIII.

The Packers finished 8-8 in a three-way tie for second behind Detroit in the NFC Central.

But if anything, that game has enjoyed much staying power with the statistical marks it left behind. Here's a look at them:

Individual records (with place in record book):

Kickoff returns, game (first, tied): 8, Harlan Huckleby
Kickoff return yards, game (third): 208, Huckleby
Yards gained, combined kicks (fifth): 208, Huckleby
Yards passing, game (eighth): 387, Lynn Dickey

Team records

Points, both teams, game (first): 95 (GB 48-47)
Yards, both teams (first): 1,025 (GB 473, WAS 552)
First downs passing, both teams (first): 38 (GB 17, WAS 21)
Kickoff returns, both teams (first, tied): 17 (GB 8, WAS 9)
Yards passing, both teams (second): 771 (GB 403, WAS 368)
PATs, both teams (second, tied): 11 (GB 6, WAS 5)
First downs total, both teams (second, tied): 56 (GB 23, WAS 33)
Fewest punts, both teams (third, tied): two (one each)
Kickoff return yards, both teams (fourth): 401 (GB 208, WAS 193)
Yards passing, Green Bay (fourth): 403
Points, both teams, second half (fifth): 51 (GB 24, WAS 27)

HarveyWallbangers
10-12-2007, 09:13 PM
And even though the Redskins had 79 more yards and 20 more first downs, the Packers still won under coach Bart Starr.

Looks like this should read 10.

First downs total, both teams (second, tied): 56 (GB 23, WAS 33)

esoxx
10-12-2007, 09:27 PM
"Washington would not lose another game and pounded the Los Angeles Raiders 38-9 to win Super Bowl XVIII."

I could have sworn the Raiders pounded the Redskins in that Super Bowl.

This Greg Bedard guy to me is very underwhelming. To be factually incorrect on something like this is rank amaterism. It's not the first head-scratcher I've seen from him and his opinions seem simple.

esoxx
10-12-2007, 09:29 PM
They need a better fact checker for this guy. It didn't sound odd to him when he put the story together that a team that lost by one point had 20 more first downs than the other team???
Greg Retard sounds more fitting.

Maxie the Taxi
10-13-2007, 05:22 PM
The Skins are 8th in the league against the run and 8th against the pass. It looks like the only advantage the Packers have in this game is home field, and even that isn't much of an advantage.

Since the odds are stacked against us, I say do what we do best all game long: pass, pass, pass, etc., etc. I also think we've got to go to the blitz more on defense to attempt to get pressure on this young quarterback. Let our CB's go man to man, keep a safety deep, put Bigby on their TE and blitz two linebackers every damn play. Force a shootout.

Still, the Packers may have met their match tomorrow.

WASH 24
GB 21

The Shadow
10-13-2007, 08:49 PM
-Defense & special teams need a solid effort.
-O line, minus Wells & perhaps Coston, must step up. Moll will be a key factor. The running back by committee approach needs to keep the run an effective option.
-Favre needs to manage the game better than the 2nd half of the Chicago game. Hopefully, the Urlacher disasterous decision has brought him back to playing within himself.
- McCarthy needs to get over a poor coaching job last week and refocus on the Redskin game.

Packers : 20
Redskins : 13

Bretsky
10-13-2007, 08:59 PM
-Defense & special teams need a solid effort.
-O line, minus Wells & perhaps Coston, must step up. Moll will be a key factor. The running back by committee approach needs to keep the run an effective option.
-Favre needs to manage the game better than the 2nd half of the Chicago game. Hopefully, the Urlacher disasterous decision has brought him back to playing within himself.
- McCarthy needs to get over a poor coaching job last week and refocus on the Redskin game.

Packers : 20
Redskins : 13

If our running game was consistently effective and our defense as dominating as some in here thought Favre would merely have to "manage" games. As long as we ask him to play at the level he's at to win games, we're going to see bonehead plays along the way as well.

The Shadow
10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Up 10 and in your own territory in the second half is certainly not being asked to singelehandedly win a game.
Smart decision making remains the key.

Bretsky
10-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Up 10 and in your own territory in the second half is certainly not being asked to singelehandedly win a game.

Didn't say singlehandedly; although after his first half performance you might possibly imply that with that hall of fame performance.

I can't figure out if you like or dislike Favre.

Our offense isn't good enough w/o a consistent running game for him to conservatively manage games. It'd be nice if it were, but he's going to have to take his shots to win them. Most of the time it'll work.

That "one" throw was a terrible mistake, but certainly one we should have been able to overcome.

GrnBay007
10-13-2007, 09:53 PM
That "one" throw was a terrible mistake, but certainly one we should have been able to overcome.

:tup:

The Shadow
10-13-2007, 10:10 PM

Didn't say singlehandedly; although after his first half performance you might possibly imply that with that hall of fame performance.

Our offense isn't good enough w/o a consistent running game for him to conservatively manage games. It'd be nice if it were, but he's going to have to take his shots to win them. Most of the time it'll work. That "one" throw was a terrible mistake, but certainly one we should have been able to overcome.

I like Favre a lot; always have. At the same time he has always been a great frustration to me.
Allow me to explain : after Bart retired, I waited for the next great Packer quarterback. At last, Brett arrived, with far greater physical gifts than Bart could even dream about- quite possibly he is the most physically gifted guy to ever play the position.
His refusal to truly evolve into a great field-general - ala Bart -instead relying far too much on his arm alone - has caused as much teeth-gnashing on my part for inexusable losses as joy at the great plays that have brought victories.
I have oftem wished that Bart's head could be grafted onto Brett's body!
When folks clamored for the Packers to 'win for Brett', I could only think of the 2nd Super Bowl appearance, the Philly game, the 6 interception St. Louis playoff game. If the truth be told, I really feel that Brett owes Packer fans a championship.
So : I truly do celebrate Favre's accomplishments, but at the same time I often feel depressed about the player he MIGHT have been.
I realize this view is at odds with many posters, but there it is.

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Nah, Shadow, I can see where you're coming from...

esoxx
10-14-2007, 02:43 AM

Our offense isn't good enough w/o a consistent running game for him to conservatively manage games. It'd be nice if it were, but he's going to have to take his shots to win them. Most of the time it'll work. That "one" throw was a terrible mistake, but certainly one we should have been able to overcome.

I like Favre a lot; always have. At the same time he has always been a great frustration to me.
Allow me to explain : after Bart retired, I waited for the next great Packer quarterback. At last, Brett arrived, with far greater physical gifts than Bart could even dream about- quite possibly he is the most physically gifted guy to ever play the position.
His refusal to truly evolve into a great field-general - ala Bart -instead relying far too much on his arm alone - has caused as much teeth-gnashing on my part for inexusable losses as joy at the great plays that have brought victories.
I have oftem wished that Bart's head could be grafted onto Brett's body!
When folks clamored for the Packers to 'win for Brett', I could only think of the 2nd Super Bowl appearance, the Philly game, the 6 interception St. Louis playoff game. If the truth be told, I really feel that Brett owes Packer fans a championship.
So : I truly do celebrate Favre's accomplishments, but at the same time I often feel depressed about the player he MIGHT have been.
I realize this view is at odds with many posters, but there it is.

Funny

Rastak
10-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Early in the week I leaned a bit towards Green Bay but after reading how well the Redskins secondary is playing and knowing the great pair of young safeties they have, I like Washington by 10.

Bretsky
10-14-2007, 10:50 AM
This will be a tough game and I've wrestled back and forth on this one.

The Redskins are just as talented if not more talented than the Packers. They have all first round picks in a secondary that is very solid.

But I keep coming back to Jason Campbell. Bad weather, hostile environment, good defense. I think he make some mistakes today and is erratic.

Crosby wins this game late

Final

GB 16
Skins 13

Tarlam!
10-14-2007, 10:53 AM
hostile environment

Well now, I find the environment fantastic! I just wish I was thinking straight when the schedule came out. I woulda stuck around the week and seen TWO games!

I am an idiot.

MJZiggy
10-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Next year, Dear.

Bretsky
10-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Next year, Dear.

Wife love the blanket BTW; she said thanks. She joked about why a gal forum member would give me a baby blanket.

I reminded her again that chicks dig me.

Thanks again !
B

b bulldog
10-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Skins 24 Packers 27

Rastak
10-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Skins 24 Packers 27

You think there will be that much scoring in the rain?

MJZiggy
10-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Next year, Dear.

Wife love the blanket BTW; she said thanks. She joked about why a gal forum member would give me a baby blanket.

I reminded her again that chicks dig me.

Thanks again !
B

Tell her it's because she's married to such a nice, respectful guy (who happens to have a pregnant wife) And you're welcome. Let's just hope it does its job.

RashanGary
10-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Packers 24
Skins 23

In my experience, when a forum is all predicting close ones like this, it's because they don't have confidence in their team, but they can't bet against them. I hope our non confidence isn't a foreshadow for what happens.

Tarlam!
10-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, Fosco Magic Machine spat out a loss for our beloved Pack today.

:?:

I say we see OT and it's whoever wins the coin toss.

b bulldog
10-14-2007, 11:47 AM
i HEARD ON THE RADIO THAT IT IS CLEARING UP IN GB

GBRulz
10-14-2007, 03:41 PM
This will be a tough game and I've wrestled back and forth on this one.

The Redskins are just as talented if not more talented than the Packers. They have all first round picks in a secondary that is very solid.

But I keep coming back to Jason Campbell. Bad weather, hostile environment, good defense. I think he make some mistakes today and is erratic.

Crosby wins this game late

Final

GB 16
Skins 13

B, you win the Miss Cleo award this week !! :lol:

RashanGary
10-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Bretskadomus

The Shadow
10-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Thank goodness for the defense.
They got us this one.