View Full Version : JS-GOOD CHAT

Bretsky
10-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Packer Chats
Visit JSOnline's Packers section
SUNDAY, Oct. 7, Packers-Bears post-game transcript
Greg Bedard
Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer

Greg Bedard answered questions in our weekly post-game chat.

Q: Kevin of Tampa - They were who we thought they were... and we let them off the hook.

A: Greg Bedard - Well, my first chat after a loss - one where the Packers blew it against the Bears --should be intersting. That's a good quote to start with, Kevin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Curt of St. John - I really hate to dump on Brett, he's been so fantastic this year. But why that dumb pass. Why at that time !! Brett still needs to learn the team can play defense!! I think that was a huge turning point. *sighs*

A: Greg Bedard - Curt, it was THE turning point in the game. The Packers were leading 20-10 with 4 minutes left in the third quarter, the Bears still couldn't get out of their own way, and then Favre makes that decision and all of a sudden the Bears collectively believe they have a chance to win that game. That's all it takes to ignite a team as talented as the Bears.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Andy of Hastings, MN - Hi Greg- Did Jennings' X-rays reveal if he's made of papier mache? Good lord, that guy has talent but if you can't count on him to be on the field, he's just another Robert Ferguson.

A: Greg Bedard - Due to the tight deadline on a night game, I wasn't able to speak to Jennings but he wasn't wearing a sling or anything. He was moving a little slowly but it didn't appear to be serious. Looks to be one of those injuries where you know more the next day.
Q: Mark of Albuquerque - Can't winn them all, and I guess you can fault the turnovers (too many fumbles and interceptions), and you should. But why did the coaching staff move the offense to such a conservative mode in the second half? Well I guess we

A: Greg Bedard - I'd look at this way, Mark, the Packers are now even for the Eagles win, which was given to them on two punt returns. I don't know what you are all talking about with play selection. There was one series in the third quarter where they had three-straight runs. Considering Favre had just thrown a terrible INT, it was more than understandable. And in the fourth quarter, the Packers had one run against 16 passes. Conservative? Hardly.
Q: Paul of Viroqua, WI - Turnovers, stupid penalties, and, and, and, oh forget it!!!!

A: Greg Bedard - Yeah, Paul, you can stop right there. Five turnovers + 12 penalties for 93 yards = a loss almost every time unless you're playing Brad Childress.
Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Greg: I could hear the Packer fans chanting "Bears still suck" clearly on TV early in the 3rd quarter. It seeemed like that got the Bears fired up. Do you think the fans jumped the gun on this one?

A: Greg Bedard - I think Favre's INT fired them up, but I'm glad you called attention to that chant. For a fan base that I've heard so much about and thought was so classy, that was a classless move. Packers fans are better than that. Or I thought they were. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Eric of Watertown - Hello Greg, It is really a shame that Mike McCarthey decided to call the worst second half of offensive football this year. A golden opportunity to bury the Bears wasted. And if you guys in the media don't get on McCarthey for such horrible play-calling, you should all be ashamed of yourself.

A: Greg Bedard - You guys are missing the ones who really deserve the blame: you know, the guys with numbers on their chests.
Q: Biff of Rhinelander - Fire Thompson! Fire McCarthy! Cut Jones! Bring on Rodgers! (Greg - go home and get some rest.)

A: Greg Bedard - A kind thought, Biff, but I've got 49 more minutes to go.
Q: Scott of Redondo Beach, CA - Greg, For sure, the turnovers were the difference in this game (especially Jones' two). However, it seemed like the Packer Offese was MIA in the second half. What were your views?

A: Greg Bedard - My view was that the team sorely missed C Scott Wells when he went out with 3:05 left in the third quarter. Having Jason Spitz in there only magnifies the problems that Colledge continues to have. Pass protection was a problem in the fourth quarter. But my overall view was that Jones' two fumbles, Favre's INT and Woodson's fumbles doomed the Packers. That's the bottom line. The rest is just good talk radio. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mark of Albuquerque - Why should a running back who played college football in Florida be cramping-up and needing an IV in the (early part of the) first quarter?

A: Greg Bedard - You know, Mark, I said that exact same thing in the second quarter. I always thought Wynn was not in top shape and McCarthy kind of chastised us for saying that. There's no excuse why a guy cramps after the first series. None.
Q: John of Chapel Hill, NC - Greg thanks for taking my question. I suppose we all should be happy that the Pack is 4-1 as I am sure most of us would have never thought possible at the start of the season; however, after watching the game on TV I do not understand why we changed what had been working for us on offense all season... I was wondering if you might shed some light on McCarthy's thinking. Thanks and have a good rest of the night.

A: Greg Bedard - I think after a night's rest, you will all realize that McCarthy's playcalling had nothing to do with this. The Packers were up 20-10 on an offense that couldn't do anything. I see nothing wrong with McCarthy's playcalling except maybe I would have thrown on second down with 3:42 left in the third quarter.
Q: Bert of Baltimore, MD - I can't believe I just watched this game. Stunned. Two quick questions. What was up with the play calling in the 2nd half of the game? It seemed too conservative to me. Is Nick Collins really as bad as he looked though out the game? He seems to make bad reads and takes bad angles when he has to make a decision.

A: Greg Bedard - Bert brings up a good point that I forgot to mention. Nick Collins was responsible for Peterson's 30-yard reception and Desmond Clark's 34-yard TD. Again, Collins wears a number, not a headset. And you can throw Corey Williams in there with his penalty that cost the Packers four points.
Q: JP of Orlando - Greg, McCarthy blew this game in several ways. The most glaring mistake was contesting the first down, which took away a time-out, plus set the stage for the touchdown. Let them get the first down, kick a field goal and give Favre a chance to go only 45 yds vs 75...

A: Greg Bedard - That was a dumb move, no doubt. But I would hardly say that decided the game.
Q: Louie of San Diego - Greg, The Packers defense was needed tonight and they demonstrated that they are average, not great. Nick Collins was awful on that last drive. Maybe it is time to look at Rouse. Collins has been a work in progress for too long.

A: Greg Bedard - I would agree with you, Louie, on all your points. The defense has been bend but don't break, certainly not great. And I might take a look at Rouse. And I don't think Collins can blame his performance on his left knee. Both plays were mental mistakes.
Q: Patrick Fuller of Edmond, OK - My thought is that the Packers really missed Scott Wells...his departure sort of coincided with their ineffectiveness on offense in the second half. What happened to him?

A: Greg Bedard - You're exactly right, Patrick. Wells has absolutely been the best player on an average line. Losing him and his leadership made them below average at best. I did not see Wells in the locker room. We'll have to see on Monday (night games are always nightmares for information)
Q: Penny of Lake Geneva - Greg, It sure seemed like they wanted it and needed it more than we did or we would have stepped up in the second half. The turnovers did it for us. Hopefully we'll come alive again against the Redskins. What do you think?

A: Greg Bedard - I think you can count on the Packers coming out with a little anger next week. It would be nice to see them put together one complete game before the bye. This one is going to sting for a while. Maybe they'll take it out on the Redskins. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Brett of Orlando - Welcome to losing Monday Greg! This team hasn't played a great game this season, and it finally caught up with them. Obviously the ball security drills didn't hit home this week. This team is not as good as some (McGinn) think. I see 9-7. Your thoughts.

A: Greg Bedard - I've said for a while that this game was going to tell me at least, a lot about this Packers team. For three and a half quarters I thought they had proven they weren't a fluke. They still aren't, but the flaws in this team were exposed. Now they need to get them corrected. I thought 8-8 to start the season an then adjusted to 11-5 because they won two or three I thought they wouldn't. 10-6 might be more like it.
Q: Tony Dickert of Concord, CA - How could McCarthy expect to win when he shows absolutely no confidence in Bret Farve after he threw an interception. McCarthy and his conservatism from that point on is what lost this game for Green Bay - not the 4 turnovers. McCarthy has alot to learn about momentum and having faith in his team.

A: Greg Bedard - Fourth-quarter playcalling: 16 passes, 1 run. Yeah, he totally lost confidence in Favre.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Bitter loss. 5 turnovers and a slew of penalties. From your vantage point, could the Packers have taken more shots downfield in the third and fourth quarter? Is the short stuff the only stuff open?

A: Greg Bedard - It's their bread and butter and worked for four-and-3/4s games. That's who they are. Plus, the line was doing such a poor job it would have been foolish to drop Favre deep each time.
Q: Tony J Hall of Chambersburg PA - Was Brady Poppinga responsible on that back breaking TD to Clark? If so what has the injury to Hodge meant to our deplenished LB corps? I saw Hunter got some snaps (at MLB, I think) with the D tonight, is that a result of Poppingas continued failings in the pass coverage scheme or a result os Hodges injury. I'm hoping we are grooming a replacement for Poppinga for our nickle package, that's the reason for the question.

A: Greg Bedard - Poppinga is supposed to have deep cover help in the form of Nick Collins. He got suckered into moving up. INJURY UPDATE: Jenning's x-ray was negative and he did return to the game. Wells got poked in the eye and didn't return. Also, McCarthy was not happy with the officials on the Corey Williams penalty. It seems like there will be some talks between the Packers and the league office on that one. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Gareth Rogers of Saline, MI - Hi Greg, hope your enjoying the rants in your first post-defeat Q&A :) Allow me to offer a comment to all those who complain about play calling, clock management, etc. Turnovers 5 to 1. No need to say anything else. Inexcusable from Jones, Woodson and Favre (at least his first one). Your opinion?

A: Greg Bedard - The sane, rational poster of the week award goes to Gareth Rogers from somewhere in Michigan. You should be commended for that post.
Q: Dirk of Chicago - What the f&&%$! 4 turnovers, 12 penalties. This was a bad game, no doubt. Should we be concerned they haven't played a great game all season?

A: Greg Bedard - Actually, Dirk, I would be thrilled if my team was 4-1 with a winnable game at home next week before the buy, and had yet to play up to its ability. Absolutely thrilled there's room to grow. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Danl of Hudson, WI - I couldn't keep track play by play, but was Jones sat for long for the turnovers, then Jennnings got injured? Was Jones a fumbler in college? Were the Bears unprepared for our running, or does Mornency make a big difference?

A: Greg Bedard - Jones absolutely was benched and would not have seen the field again if it wasn't for Jennings' injury. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Kurt Grundman of San Francisco, CA - Hi Greg, Is it my Packers bias or was almost every call made by the refs against the Pack? And what about that challenge for the spot? Green Bay lost the game for other reasons, yet the level of officiating is a joke for the fans and viewers.

A: Greg Bedard - I think it's safe to assume that this officiating crew will have a very long chat with Mike Perreira and the rest of the crew at NFL HQ. Not their greatest of nights, but that would be No. 11 on reasons why the Packers coughed this victory up.
Q: Brad Pelton of Glendale - Regarding the Pakers rushing tonight: Combined 22 carries for for 121 yards = 5.5 yds per carry. I thought the Bears were supposed to be great against the run. Is it just that the Packers caught them off gaurd by rushing at all? Or is this a good sign of an improving run game? Did the Packers make changes in the running game, or was this the same zone scheme they've been using?

A: Greg Bedard - If you read my story today on the Packers, McCarthy was absolutely right when he said "you can be physical with this defense." The Bears have a rep for being this tough defense but the way to beat them is just to pound it down their throats. Urlacher was having a terrible game until Favre threw one in his breadbasket.
Q: John Casper of Milwaukee - Very disappointed in the Packer fans who were booing. On a positive note Morency really looked good.

A: Greg Bedard - Yeah, you guys are rough. Your team is 4-0 and you boo? What's up with that? Morency did look good, and he's the key to the rest of the season. This was another good step for him.
Q: Evan of Minneapolis - Greg, yeah yeah, we had a ton of penalties, and that played a huge role in this loss; however, I think McCarthy got out coached in the end (the bad challenge, conservative 2nd half)...Lovie came out ahead, but not my much, don't you agree?

A: Greg Bedard - Lovie Smith out-coaching someone? Surely you're kidding. If you call looking helpless and then the other team giving you the game, coaching, then I guess he did.
Q: BrianBMan of Orlando - The Packers played not to lose in the second half. Was that your opinion. Our coaches were out-coached. Yes or No. I thought our run game did okay in the first half as it surprised them.

A: Greg Bedard - No and no.
Q: Rick of Middleton - Do you think sitting Jones for most of the second half after his two fumbles was a good move. With Jennings hurt and Jones on the bench the offensive seemed very limited.

A: Greg Bedard - I thought that was the wrong move. What's the point in benching Jones there? Are you going to keep him there for the whole season? He knows he screwed up, go out there and let him make it up.
Q: Mitch of Oconomowoc - After the Favre interception McCarthy went into a shell with his play calling. It looked like he benched Jones for the whole half until the last drive. Was it McCarthy's play calling that they didn't throw down field the whole 2nd half or was it more the defense the Bears were playing?

A: Greg Bedard - Other than a few shots here and there, when have the Packers been a down-the-field type of team?
Q: Mitch of Oconomowoc - Do opposing coaches continually harp on the refs about our DBs, ie. Harris and Woodson? Is that the reason we seem to get so many ticky tack penalties and then Olsen pushes off on a big catch down the sidelines and we don't get the call?

A: Greg Bedard - You bet the opposing coaches are in the refs ears about that. And the Bears must have been going in and coming out of halftime because the refs called it much more closely in the second half, but I wouldn't say it overly tight officiating.
Q: SWH of Ontario - The turnovers were a killer. But I thought the poor field position in the second half by not kicking away on kickoffs was every bit as damaging. In a very real sense, Hester beat us without expending any effort. What are your thoughts on the subject?

A: Greg Bedard - I would say that's an astute point, SWH. In the second half after kickoffs or punts, Chicago's starting field positions were: C36, C40, C36, C41, C47, C21. Those are some pretty short fields. Good looking out.
Q: Zozassa of Greendale - You canot turn the ball over 5 times and have life-giving penalties and win in the NFL, can you? Does this spell doom for the Packers? Or just growing pains for the youngest team in the NFL?

A: Greg Bedard - Just growing pains, Zozassa. Games like this are going to happen, especially to a team as young as the Packers. You just have to hope they learn from their mistakes and improve. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Tom H of Orlando, Fl. - This is your 1st chat after a loss? Unfortunately, you will find many fans throwing the team under the bus after a loss, and proclaiming them Super Bowl champs after a win. Who would have thought that after 5 games, the Packers would be in 1st place with a 1 game lead? Not Me!!

A: Greg Bedard - Tom, I think you're exactly right. Yes the Packers gave this game away but almost every team does that at least once in a season. Just be happy it came when you were 4-0 and not 6-6. It's one game. They screwed up. But this is a good football team that will only get better. I know this stings but it happens. Time for me to call it a night at 1 a.m. CDT. Check the blog tomorrow (later today now) and we'll see what's being said the day after the loss.

BallHawk
10-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like this Bedard guy whatsoever?

Zool
10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I kind of like some unbiased views. I also like that he calls people out when they ask stupid questions.

Q: Tony Dickert of Concord, CA - How could McCarthy expect to win when he shows absolutely no confidence in Bret Favre after he threw an interception. McCarthy and his conservatism from that point on is what lost this game for Green Bay - not the 4 turnovers. McCarthy has alot to learn about momentum and having faith in his team.

A: Greg Bedard - Fourth-quarter playcalling: 16 passes, 1 run. Yeah, he totally lost confidence in Favre.

The Leaper
10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
How can the playcalling look good to Bedard?

He thinks it is just one series? WTF was he watching?

The INT occurred on a series in which we ran twice on 1st and 2nd down, forcing us into 3rd and long.

Then we ran 3 times in a row.

Then we had holding penalties we we tried to run some more, and we tried to make this up by throwing screen passes.

We went about an entire quarter without throwing the ball past the line of scrimmage. After going 19-20 in the first half, that makes NO sense to me...regardless on the situation or field position.

Bedard is an idiot for questioning the fan on that...and for suggesting that Green Bay's second half was NOT playing not to lose.

Then what exactly was it Bedard? Playing to win?

b bulldog
10-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I like his style