PDA

View Full Version : The sky is falling!!!

PackerBlues
10-08-2007, 05:29 PM
After the game against the Chargers, I was sure that M3 knew that the Packers did not have a running game, and that he was going to be game planning around Favre and the passing game. I had thought that the run would be used sparingly, and that the passing game would open up the running game. I guess I thought wrong.

Anyone can go ahead and say that the Bears made adjustments in the second half, but I am not buying it. As a matter of fact, from the interviews I heard on the radio today, according to a few Bears players, they did not make any adjustments in the second half. The Packers sure as hell did though. In the 3rd quarter, M3 was stuck on the fucking run, and for the life of me, I could not figure out why. Favre tore the Bears apart in the passing game in the first half, and it just seemed to me, that M3 was bound and determined to run the ball, regardless of the fact that it was not working.

In the San Diego game, M3 called a pass play on 4'th and inches, at the goal line, without a single RB in the back field. I know damned well that I am not the only person to have found that play call to be incredibly stupid. If he had put a RB in the backfield, it would have made the Chargers commit to the chance that it may have been a run play, and perhaps opened things up for a pass better..........After the game, M3 said that he did not understand why people were upset by that play call. He thought that it was a great call, and that he felt that it was the right call at the time. If not for a lucky turnover, that call would have cost the Packers the game against San Diego. I myself did not complain about it, because I thought "well good, at least he is showing a commitment to the passing game." Again, I thought wrong, because in the 3rd Quarter against Chicago, M3 really made me question his ability to run this team.

Granted, the two turnovers by Jones hurt, and hurt bad. I also saw Brett bitching at Driver :whaa: , and then I saw him bitching at Clifton. I understand why he was pissed at Clifton, the fucking idiot let a defender get by him clean, then stood their like a fuckin robot, looking downfield, as if he didn't even see the guy get by him. If it were me in there instead of Favre, I woulda kicked him in the balls.......... talk about having your head up your ass!

To say the least, I am disapointed. M3 has me worried with his play calling. It is still only one loss though, and the Packers are still alone at the top of the NFC North. Personally, I cannot help but to worry about the playcalling from here on in. I still think that this team can make the playoffs with ease, and that there is no need to panic, as long as M3 can get his shit together.

LL2
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Are you venting just a little?

PackerBlues
10-08-2007, 06:01 PM

LOL, yes, thank you for asking. :D

I have been doing my best to stay optimistic.........but losing to the stinkin bears sucks. :(

CaliforniaCheez
10-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Let's hope the losing streak is not a long one.

LEWCWA
10-08-2007, 11:20 PM
McCarthy went to the run right after Favres bonehead pick! He did the same thing last season, and everyone was gushing about how smart it was! He took the ball outta Favre's hands, because he made a stupid mistake!

Carolina_Packer
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM

LOL, yes, thank you for asking. :D

I have been doing my best to stay optimistic.........but losing to the stinkin bears sucks. :(

PB, here's hoping for you to come down with some fan amnesia soon. The game is over. The result and the ride to the result sucked; it stung. But, now it's gone. Gotta go closer mentality on this one. When you're called in the 9th the next day, you can't be thinking about the last failure.

I hope the Packers give us all a positive reason to forget the Bears game. Hang in there, man.

CaliforniaCheez
10-08-2007, 11:31 PM
McCarthy went to the run right after Favres bonehead pick! He did the same thing last season, and everyone was gushing about how smart it was! He took the ball outta Favre's hands, because he made a stupid mistake!

That 3rd and six call was not a good one.

LEWCWA
10-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I don't disagree, but there was a method to his madness! He has done the same thing before. If Favre isn't going to take care of the ball he will take it out of his hands! Thing is when he did it last year they ran the ball down the field, last night they ran into a brick wall!

cheesner
10-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't disagree, but there was a method to his madness! He has done the same thing before. If Favre isn't going to take care of the ball he will take it out of his hands! Thing is when he did it last year they ran the ball down the field, last night they ran into a brick wall!Perhaps that has been the subtle nudge Brett has needed to take better care of the ball. Which is why he is doing so well; which is why the Packers have been able to win 4 of 5 and 8 of 9. Coaching is very complicated and tough to see how everything is connected together.

Lombardi, Landry, Halas, Knoll, Shula, etc. never probably called a perfect game. I am sure they can look back and second guess themselves each game and wish they had done something different here or there. That is just the way it is. MM is a very good coach at this point. I suspect he may develop into a great coach.

You are probably forgetting all the times you have thought 'why the hell is MM doing that?!' and the play ends up working.

Deputy Nutz
10-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Being a former offensive linemen, I get a little heated when anyone I am blocking for and taking a beating for opens up their fucking mouth at me or any other offensive linemen. 100% of the time linemen are at least trying to do their best. They fuck up like anyone else, but the problem is when linemen do really good they don't get the credit for it, a running back or the quarterback does. So Favre was a bit out of line yelling at Clifton, he messed up bad and it pissed me off as well, but Favre should know better, shitting on a linemen like that is bullshit.

Merlin
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM

McCarthy went to the run and the Bears made adjustments. McCarthy decided he knew better then to let Favre throw anything but a screen the second half. Take the good with the bad. Greisse threw a pick and Grossman didn't come in the game and the Bears didn't stop passing OR running.

Partial
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM

McCarthy went to the run and the Bears made adjustments. McCarthy decided he knew better then to let Favre throw anything but a screen the second half. Take the good with the bad. Greisse threw a pick and Grossman didn't come in the game and the Bears didn't stop passing OR running.

Did you ever consider that one of the NFL's best defenses these past two years got there act together and covered the receivers?

No, never thought of that? I figured as much.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Lombardi, Landry, Halas, Knoll, Shula, etc. never probably called a perfect game.

Just a small point of information...Lombardi never called a game in his coaching career. Ditto, I strongly suspect for Landry and Halas. Knoll and Shula probably called some.

In Lombardi's era, the QB called all the plays, except for a few, special occasions when the coach would have a player "run in" with the play. When we saw a coach running in play after play, us Old School guys figured the QB was either stupid or a rookie (which in reality is the same thing).

Maybe someone else knows what year or era playcalling duties were transferred from the QB to the coach.

(Being Old School, I prefer QB calling the plays even now. With all the cameras, computers, coaches in the press box, etc., I think the game has become too damn complicated. I love it when Brett draws up a play in the huddle and then catches hell from the coaches!)

Joemailman
10-10-2007, 11:27 AM
My recollection is that it was Tom Landry who really began the transition to the plays being called from the sidelines. He rotated guards and some times even quarterbacks to send in the plays.

Actually, I think Paul Brown in Cleveland did it before Landry, but Brown's system wasn't widely copied by other teams.

LL2
10-10-2007, 11:37 AM
When the bears started to keep a couple of extra guys up at the line to stop the run M3 should've passed more. The Pack's run game isn't good enough to blow holes through 7 guys. M3 became real conservative in the second have and that helped the bears get back in the game.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Did the Bears bring guys up? Favre made it sound like the Bears didn't do much differently. In fact, the reason they ran on all three plays on the one drive is because the Bears gave them a favorable run look.