PDA

View Full Version : Bretsky's Babbles- 10 Thoughts from Bear Game Weekend

Bretsky
10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Just some random thoughts taken from the Bears game

1. It was nice to see Justin Harrell in a uniform. I'm not a fan...yet...but he has to be better than Colin Cole. I think I saw him in on a play. I hope to see improvements throughout the season

2. This game reminded me of the Saints game last year. Pack looked very solid in half one; after halftime adjustments were made nothing the staff did to counter the oppositions adjustments worked I'm a big MM fan; I've considered his play calling outstanding this year before yesterday. MM was at his best and worst in two opposite halves yesterday.

3. I hope everybody noticed our attempt at the power run on third and short. We were absolutely manhandled. We don't have the power to run with that set. We don't have the personnel. I have never had any problems with passing on third and short and I won't going forward either.

4. The Bears offense is not good; to be a top tier defense your play makers have to make plays to work through wins like this. Harris and Woodsen are awesome, but teams like Da Bears will throw away from them and try to expose our weaknesses.

5. I'm not sure Jarrett Bush is any better than Patrick Dendy. He just doesn't look like a player who should be on the field right now.

6. The defense is not as good as I thought they would be
The offense is better than I thought they would be

7. I cannot even fathom how the Zebras called Williams for that penalty on the field goal; that is well beyond nitpicking and inexcusable. As for the too many men on the field, if frickin Madden can count that high a ref should be able to as well. Pathetic. I hope the league office does not ingore this stuff

8. In the Big Picture, we should be rejoicing 4-1. Every poster in this forum would have taken that at the season's beginning. I do feel we're about where we should be. We probably should have lost the Phily game and beaten Da Bears

9. I do think we are a playoff team. I do not think we are close to contending for a Super Bowl.

10. I met a lot of awesome people this weekend at the annual Packerrats game; it sounds like this is going to be an annual thing. More posters should really consider coming next year because they missed out on a lot of goodies last weekend.

Partial
10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Jarrett Bush has a spot on the roster for sure, but I am not sure if its a starting nickelback. He is a demon on special teams.

Did anyone notice the jumbo package with Corey Williams in on offense?!?

'twas a great time this weekend. I hope you had a blast on Saturday night.

b bulldog
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Strongly agree with #9

Rastak
10-08-2007, 09:34 PM
10. I met a lot of awesome people this weekend at the annual Packerrats game; it sounds like this is going to be an annual thing. More posters should really consider coming next year because they missed out on a lot of goodies last weekend.

I hope it is. I'll try and get there next year and try and get stuff setup early, planning wise. My daughter is getting married next fall so I hope the game doesn't conflict! (As the Bills run it back for a TD!, sorry I digress....)

b bulldog
10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I guess I might have to buy a Favre jersey so I can attend next year :lol:

Bretsky
10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I guess I might have to buy a Favre jersey so I can attend next year :lol:

If you just show up in a Brady jersey we'll know who you are right away :lol:
Just don't make it a Michigan Brady jersey :wink:

Joemailman
10-08-2007, 09:57 PM
The defense has been a bit of a disappointment. Hawk and Collins are not having the breakout years many of us had hoped. They need to pick it up next week against a mediocre Skins offense.

b bulldog
10-08-2007, 10:05 PM
The Michigan Brady jersey is the only one I own. UW will at least beat UM this season.

b bulldog
10-08-2007, 10:08 PM
les Miles will lead UM back to prominance in the near future. It has been reported that the UM job is one he'd have a difficult time turning down. Personally, LSU and the SEC would be where I'd stay but I'd love to see him back at UM.

deake
10-09-2007, 08:11 AM
What did you think of the "White Out?" Seems many fans stuck with their green and gold jerseys.
Also wasn't there a lot of bear fans there? How do they get tickets? Can't believe a Packer fan would sell bears/packers tickets. In fact anyone holding season tickets and selling them to bears fans should have there name taken off the list.
Couldn't tell what the blocking was on the successful runs, didn't look like it was zone. Was anyone able to get a good look at it? Was is zone or not?

Badgerinmaine
10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Also wasn't there a lot of bear fans there? How do they get tickets? Can't believe a Packer fan would sell bears/packers tickets. In fact anyone holding season tickets and selling them to bears fans should have there name taken off the list.
I was astonished how loud the Bears fans were--there must have been at least 5,000 of them there. Was this a green package or gold package game?

HarveyWallbangers
10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I've been to a couple of Bears games. They usually draw the biggest crowds among opponents--except for the Steelers. The two games I went to the Bears drew around 5,000. I think Minnesota drew around 3,000. The Steelers did draw about 7,000-8,000--but that was during our 4-12 season and the Steelers were very good (won the Super Bowl), so I'm assuming those numbers were a little higher than normal. Other teams didn't have many fans there.

Freak Out
10-09-2007, 01:01 PM

There are a lot of tickets for sale out there for a pile of $$ and the Packer faithful who are selling them are not asking what team your rooting for when you offer to buy them.
Is that wrong? I don't think so.

deake
10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
But not to Bear fans? :(

Carolina_Packer
10-10-2007, 01:55 PM
The defense has been a bit of a disappointment. Hawk and Collins are not having the breakout years many of us had hoped. They need to pick it up next week against a mediocre Skins offense.

I'm not sure why people are calling out our defense after this game. Our defense is good, not elite. There are always things to improve on, but I did not consider them a weakness against the Bears. If you look at the possessions (go to Packers.com and there is a pdf of all the stats, which includes all 15 of the Bears and 13 of the Packers possessions), it shows that 2 of their TD's were gifts. One by the official who flagged CW for being lined up wrong. That gave them a first down and they eventually scored after we had held. Then there was Favre's blunder, and their second TD to Olsen on the very next play from our 20. Neither of those are on the D.

The last Bears drive was from their 21 and they went 8 plays 79 yards. That was a good drive, and the only one that was bad for the defense, unless you count the drives where the Bears ended up kicking field goals.

We gave them the ball too many times, we committed too many penalties and gave our D a short field to defend on all kick-offs. Their average starting field position for their possessions was their own 37.

I'm not saying they were a shut down defense, but they did their job respectably well. Overall, I think they are a good, not elite defense. I would have liked to see Griese flushed out more.

Joemailman
10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I was referring to the season in general, not just the Bear game. Actually I thought Sunday night was one of their stronger games. Overall, I think they have been just slightly better than average. I expected, and continue to expect more than what I've seen so far.

BEARMAN
10-11-2007, 12:53 AM

2. This game reminded me of the Saints game last year. Pack looked very solid in half one; after halftime adjustments were made nothing the staff did to counter the oppositions adjustments worked I'm a big MM fan; I've considered his play calling outstanding this year before yesterday. MM was at his best and worst in two opposite halves yesterday.

4. The Bears offense is not good; to be a top tier defense your play makers have to make plays to work through wins like this. Harris and Woodsen are awesome, but teams like Da Bears will throw away from them and try to expose our weaknesses.

7. I cannot even fathom how the Zebras called Williams for that penalty on the field goal; that is well beyond nitpicking and inexcusable. As for the too many men on the field, if frickin Madden can count that high a ref should be able to as well. Pathetic. I hope the league office does not ingore this stuff

#2. What, Da BEARS couldn't have gone into the halftime and coached up their players to come out and play better the second half? Seems like I heard that Coach Smith chewed some a$$ at half time, namely the "D".

#4. Maybe not good, but a damn site better then what we had. BG showed his 10 years experience and played a smart(almost turnover free) game. No WR dropped a ball, TE play was great. Throw away from them, you mean like how the pack kicked away from Hester? Was that, now in hindsight, a good thing ?

#7. Some rules are left up to the interpitation of the Refs. Some times the calls go your way, sometimes they don't. The too many players on the field non call, was just that, a non call, the player in question was obviously on his way off the field. The snap of the ball and the player going off the field was so close, tie goes to the runner.

Quit making excuses, accept the loss and move on. I know this is tuff love, but ya all helped me when I was in dismay, it's the least I can do to return the luv !

Bretsky
10-11-2007, 01:53 AM

#2. What, Da BEARS couldn't have gone into the halftime and coached up their players to come out and play better the second half? Seems like I heard that Coach Smith chewed some a$$ at half time, namely the "D".

#4. Maybe not good, but a damn site better then what we had. BG showed his 10 years experience and played a smart(almost turnover free) game. No WR dropped a ball, TE play was great. Throw away from them, you mean like how the pack kicked away from Hester? Was that, now in hindsight, a good thing ?

#7. Some rules are left up to the interpitation of the Refs. Some times the calls go your way, sometimes they don't. The too many players on the field non call, was just that, a non call, the player in question was obviously on his way off the field. The snap of the ball and the player going off the field was so close, tie goes to the runner.

Quit making excuses, accept the loss and move on. I know this is tuff love, but ya all helped me when I was in dismay, it's the least I can do to return the luv !

Give me a break; if you understand the X's and O's of the game you would know Da Bears came out with a different defensive strategy in half two. There are a couple ways to expose that and MM failed. Enought said.

Your offense is still not good, with or without Griese.

Regarding the refs, I stand by that. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. And I'm not normally one to throw the refs under the bus. But these refs should stay there. There were other pro Bear calls I don't even bring to the table because they were judgment calls. But those two were ridiculous.

Yes, we lost. We are 4-1 now and you are 2-3. And I would not trade spots with you. So I can't complain much.

Cheers,
B

Tarlam!
10-11-2007, 04:58 AM
What did you think of the "White Out?" Seems many fans stuck with their green and gold jerseys.

I loved the pom poms, though! I was so tired (my body clock was set to 1 am at kickoff!) it was all white to me!

It was great to meet you, deake! I really appreciated you making the effort to hang out with us - thanks again!

packinpatland
10-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Couldn't tell what the blocking was on the successful runs, didn't look like it was zone. Was anyone able to get a good look at it? Was is zone or not?

The 'white out' idea was a good one, I think the weather had alot to do with some fans not donning the white t-shirts that were passed out. Too darn hot!

It does bother me about all the Bear fans. I got my tickets thu an agency, they didn't ask what team you would cheering for (apparently they should!), so Bear people had the same options. I was just so surprised, first, to get such great seats,second, to be surrounded by 'jerseys of a different color'.

b bulldog
10-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I heard on the radio today that our D is ranked 17th, that is average at best :(

b bulldog
10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
I think 17th is yardage allowed, 13th scoring, that is better but far from where we thought they would be.

Bossman641
10-11-2007, 02:08 PM
#7. Some rules are left up to the interpitation of the Refs. Some times the calls go your way, sometimes they don't. The too many players on the field non call, was just that, a non call, the player in question was obviously on his way off the field. The snap of the ball and the player going off the field was so close, tie goes to the runner

This isn't hockey. There is no room for interpretation. You are either on the field or you are not. There were 12 players on the field.

You're a fuckin idiot, you talk a big game, but it is fairly obvious you do not understand the game at all. I know you're a Bears fan, but the game is over, the Bears won. You can admit when a terrible call or noncall is made. The fact that you can't even do that is ridiculous.

woodbuck27
10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
As usual B. I have to agree on the whole with all your points listed above.

MMthrew the game away in the second half and our D is playing a little soft so far this season compared to the last four games in 2006 but we saw some dedcent teams thus far in 2007.

We lucked out Vs the eagles but thatbis a strange team to date.

We chucked away game five as if that was the plan Stan. An unbelivable collapse after a suer first half.

Once it begins to slide it is often G.O.N.E. Our Packer team really looked defeated after the Bear game; now can they muster the real stuff to defeat a very tough Washington Redskins team to the Bye week and recovery fr. any adversityÉ.

The Redskins totally dominated the Detroit Lions. Men Vs kids.

- If our OL does not play very tough Favre will be on his back a lot. His timing will be nowhere. We need the OL to not take penaltys to have no off sides that annoy Favre in the worst way and throw off his timing.

- We will not defeat the Redskins in that scenario without some big points fr. our D.

- We need our D to have their finest game of the young season. To not play soft.

- To see the DTs and DEs press the line; for our linebackers to join in stopping the Redskin RBs. We see too many 5-7 yard runs; that is hurting us.

- We need the paper dolls on our team to stay healthy. I refer to Greg Jennings and V. Morency.

- We need James Jones to HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

- We need Donald Driver to break free of double coverage, to get the ball and score.

- We need a solid game from Deshawn Wynn.

- We need Donald Driver to break free of double coverage, to get the ball and score.

- We need inspired ST play and great games fr. our young kicker and punter.

- most of all we need to see MM relax and show us that as a HC he has developed the ability to win the big game.

This close matchup (on paper) is a huge game for the Green Bay Packers and Packer fans.

GO PACK GO ! GO PACK GO !

4and12to12and4
10-11-2007, 05:20 PM
The Bears are lucky to have gotten out of there with a win and kudos to Peanut Tillman, he's the reason why they did. Period. MM called for the fifth straight game a wonderful game, and I love what he is doing this year, he is really showing his strength as an offensive mind. He has assessed this team, and changed the play calling accordingly. I never know what play is coming, he's very unpredictable. We, as an offense, simply didn't execute the run as we did in the first half, and maybe he should've given up on it, but after seeing it succeed, with a lead, and as bad as Chicago's offense is, I don't blame him for trying to stick with it a little bit in the second half. We need to establish that as a part of our arsenal. It will come, we can't just abandon it.

Bretsky
10-11-2007, 05:47 PM
The Bears are lucky to have gotten out of there with a win and kudos to Peanut Tillman, he's the reason why they did. Period. MM called for the fifth straight game a wonderful game, and I love what he is doing this year, he is really showing his strength as an offensive mind. He has assessed this team, and changed the play calling accordingly. I never know what play is coming, he's very unpredictable. We, as an offense, simply didn't execute the run as we did in the first half, and maybe he should've given up on it, but after seeing it succeed, with a lead, and as bad as Chicago's offense is, I don't blame him for trying to stick with it a little bit in the second half. We need to establish that as a part of our arsenal. It will come, we can't just abandon it.

I have no idea how anybody could say MM called a great game. He had one great half and one terrible half. Let the results speak for themself.

If you want to deny the facts, then consider that Lovie Smith changed the defensive strategy to stop GB in half two and take away what they were doing so well in half one...the slant.

There are counters to that; that defense can still be exposed.

We didn't do it.

I like MM; but he didn't get the job done in half two. If you don't want the details the facts speak for themselves.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
bretsky keeps bumping his own vanity thread. disgraceful.

Bretsky
10-11-2007, 06:59 PM

I have no conscience whatsoever :lol:

superfan
10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
McCarthy called a brilliant first half. In the second half, the prevent offense went into effect. The play calling was indicative of a two score lead with under 3 minutes to play.

That to me is inexcusable. Unless there are obvious major adjustments made by the defense, you continue with the gameplan that worked in the first half. I did not see major adjustments made by the Bears defense.

I don't blame McCarthy for the lack of execution by the running game in the second half. But I do blame him for essentially taking the ball out of Brett Favre's hands.

Joemailman
10-11-2007, 08:30 PM

I have no conscience whatsoever :lol:

Isn't that a requirement for your line of work? (Just kidding!)