PDA

View Full Version : Hawk off to quiet but solid start

HarveyWallbangers
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Hawk off to quiet but solid start
By JASON WILDE, Wisconsin State Journal

GREEN BAY — A.J. Hawk knows it comes with the territory. When you enter the NFL as the fifth pick in the draft, when you're viewed as the next face of the Green Bay Packers when (if?) Brett Favre finally retires, folks are going to expect a lot. And rightfully so.

"That's good. People had better have high expectations for me," the Packers' second-year will linebacker said. "Because whatever they expect of me, believe me, I expect a lot more. But I also understand my job. I understand what I'm doing here."

And what he's done through the Packers' first five games has been, well, uneventful. While he hasn't made any game-changing, glaring mistakes, he hasn't made any game-altering, great plays, either.

He enters Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins at Lambeau Field with 41 tackles — third on the team behind middle linebacker Nick Barnett (51) and safety Atari Bigby (45) — and without a sack, interception, pass breakup or forced or recovered fumble.

Yet while those outside the building might wonder why a player coach Mike McCarthy called "a prime-time player in the National Football League" this offseason has had such a quiet start, Hawk's coaches are unconcerned.

"Pretty solid," linebackers coach Winston Moss replied when asked to assess Hawk's season so far. "A lot more consistent than (his play at the beginning of) last year. He's off to a solid start. I don't think the opportunity has presented itself as much as probably he wants it to or I want it to, so you just have to be patient. Reporters or fans might expect more from him, but I'm fine. I'm fine."

The lack of opportunity, according to defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, is a function of what he's asked Hawk to do. In the first three games — against the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants and San Diego Chargers — Hawk spent most of his time in coverage, against tight ends L.J. Smith, Jeremy Shockey and Antonio Gates, and saw Shockey and Gates get the best of him at times.

In Sunday night's loss to Chicago, Hawk made six tackles and was solid against the run, but once again, he didn't do anything extraordinary. He did make a savvy play by covering fullback Jason McKie in the flat late in the game, but it was for naught because safety Nick Collins incorrectly headed that direction, too — allowing tight end Desmond Clark to get behind Collins and sam linebacker Brady Poppinga for the decisive touchdown.

"We tell everybody on the defense, 'We don't need you to do anything more than what your job is. If everybody does their job, we're in good shape.' And for the most part, A.J.'s done that," Sanders said. "He played physical, he was in pretty good position most of the night on all his run fits. The plays have to be at your spot for you to make them.

"Big plays, just like turnovers or sacks, they seem to come in droves. I'm sure there's certain plays he'd like to do over or have back. But he's done a nice job. And I think he'll continue to do that.

"I think his plays will come. If the plays are going somewhere else, it's hard to make them."

For his part, Hawk doesn't feel he's played poorly and believes Sanders is right about this opportunities coming. Last season, when Hawk led the team with 155 tackles while also registering 3 1/2 sacks, two interceptions and nine pass breakups, he had 42 tackles through five games, although he did have 1 1/2 sacks.

"I actually feel pretty good about where I'm at," said Hawk, who had seven games of double-digit tackles last season, five of which came after Week 5, including a 20-tackle game (16 solo) against Seattle.

"Different games are set up for different type things, and these first few games, I'd been asked to be in coverage a lot. And so I understand when I'm in coverage I don't want to be making tackles, because that means they're throwing the ball to my guy.

"It's not frustrating to me. It's my job, and I take pride in that. It's something where I understand our scheme, I understand the defense, and I understand that different things will come to me. I can't be out there pressing, trying to do things outside the scheme.

"Obviously I'd like to be in on every play. But I know that realistically, with what we're doing and how our scheme is (structured), especially with the tight ends we faced early in the year, that I'm going to be away from the ball, I'm going to be downfield in coverage. It's a long season. I'm not worried at all about where I'm at or where this defense is at."

BallHawk
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Hawk's getting a lot of hate because expectations were raised by how well he played last year. He's playing solid for a sophomore. People expect him to play like a Pro-Bowler.

LL2
10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I didn't know Bigby is #2 on the list. Definitely an upgrade of Manuel.

VanPackFan
10-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Hawk definitely seems to be a better player when he's attacking the line of scrimmage and blitzing the quarterback.
Is he being used in pass coverage more out of necessity or out of design? It would be a shame if Sanders was minimizing his impact in order to cover up for the coverage shortcomings of other players (Poppinga? Collins?) on the field.

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Hawk definitely seems to be a better player when he's attacking the line of scrimmage and blitzing the quarterback.

I just wonder what would happen if Hawk & Barnett switched positions.

RashanGary
10-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I just wonder what would happen if Hawk & Barnett switched positions.

Barnett would probably whine and try to make plays outside of what he's asked, giving up big gains and Hawk would probably excel in the featured role. This is probably what is best for the team. Hawk is pretty good at everything and willing to go unnoticed. Barnett doesn't seem like the type of guy that wants to chase TE's around all day, giving up tackles to his teammates.

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
maybe they should cut Barnett, he sounds like deadwood, a cancer.

RashanGary
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
maybe they should cut Barnett, he sounds like deadwood, a cancer.

Do you really think that?

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I think Barnett is the best player on the defense. And I think he would be even more effective at WSLB. He's said either position is fine with him.

I just wonder if Hawk could play inside.

RashanGary
10-09-2007, 05:37 PM
I think Barnett is the best player on the defense. And I think he would be even more effective at WSLB. He's said either position is fine with him.

I just wonder if Hawk could play inside.

Why did you say he was a deadwood, a cancer?

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2007, 05:40 PM
you described Barnett's abilities and attitude in an unflattering way, which I don't agree with at all, so I was being sarcastic.

I do wonder if Hawk might be a good middle linebacker.

Rastak
10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
you described Barnett's abilities and attitude in an unflattering way, which I don't agree with at all, so I was being sarcastic.

If you have to explain it it must be a bad joke...I got this one but the MM challenge one in another thread did sail over my head.

RashanGary
10-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I think it would be best to have Barnett in more coverage and asking Hawk to do more physical things like blow up RB's in the hole, take on blockers or blitz the QB.

Hawk is acctually taking on a lot of the strongside backer responsiblities. The strongside LB is the LB that is lined up on the same side as the TE (by definition). Hawk was lining up as the SLB against at least two of the first 5 opponents because Poppinga is a liability against the pass. I don't think Barnett would be willing to play on the strong side (over the TE), the way Hawk has. Hawk can do it all pretty well and he doesn't whine about it. He just wants to win. I don't think Barnett would be as team oriented if they asked him to play over the TE.

EDIT: I think Hawk will have an outstanding season as he gets more games as WSLB instead of playing over the TE like he had to against NY and San Diego. It's a very small sample and Hawk is still doing a good job. He'll get his chances to shine.

b bulldog
10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I think Hawk would be better utilized as a blitzer also with 56 in coverage. I also think that 56 is easily our best LB at the moment although I think Kampy is our best defensive player. Hawk just doesn't seem to play downhill.

b bulldog
10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
nOT TRYING TO BASH HERE IN ALL SERIOUSNESS BUT i'D EXPECT hAWK TO BE MORE THAN SOLID WITH WHERE HE WAS PICKED IN THE DRAFT. He needs to be a playmaker. If he gets the chance to do more blitzing, maybe he will do more but Nick has already demonstated that he is strong at attacking the line of scrimmage.

mraynrand
10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I just don't want to see any more free releases on TEs. I want to see a little Wayne Simmons action on these TEs that think they can run around like wide receivers from the end of the line. Pop a couple of them and put them on their rear ends.

mmmdk
10-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Our D is getting killed by any TE, so far, this season.

I expect Hawk to play better; sooner rather than later. People need to step up 'cos from now every game becomes more playoff like. Even when Packers travel to St. Louis, they'll be fighting for pride, maybe as a winless team.

Cheesehead Craig
10-10-2007, 07:42 AM
I'll take a solid OLB any day. The big plays will come.

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
On the game winning touchdown Jenkins just let Clark get a free release. He was probably like, "Great he didn't even try to block me!"

That was crap on a 3rd and 2 situation, normally D-ends don't bother getting a jam. but on a short yardage play it is expected because everyone else is also thinking run and that jam gives a guy a couple of steps to recover.

Hawk really hasn't been playing well until the game against the Bears. I like the person Poppinga is, but his inability to cover a tight end really effects what others do in this scheme. Hawk is better getting into a zone jumping on running backs or wide outs coming over the middle, but he is taken out of his game having to run with a tight end. He is playmaker that needs to be around the line of scrimmage.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Our D is getting killed by any TE, so far, this season.

Outside of the San Diego game on a few plays, it hasn't been Hawk who has been the one getting killed by TEs. In fact, for as much as he's been in coverage, he hasn't given up a lot of completions. We've faced some darn good TEs. Smith, Shockey, Gates are good. The combination of Clark and Olsen is underrated. I'll be interested to see how things change when Green Bay faces teams that don't have good receiving TEs. Washington is another team with a good receiving TE.

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Most teams have good tight ends.

I guess I hold Collins responsible the most, he is not big for a safety, in fact he looks like a corner back, but size isn't important, he isn't physical enough, smart enough, and his technique isn't good enough.

I wish Rouse was a better option right now but he isn't, he has issues as well.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Well, we've played some of the best TEs in the league. After Washington, it gets easier. We still play Cooley, Gonzalez, Witten and the Bears again, but otherwise not a lot of TEs that scare you catching the ball.

Merlin
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Hawk has been doing a good job, just like Barnett has done for us. Hawk will solve the over-pursuit issues and be just fine. When he does get to the point of attack, he hangs on and that's what matters. By the way, outside of Urlacher's int and his gimme sack, did anyone else notice that he was blown up nearly every play?

RashanGary
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Hawk really hasn't been playing well until the game against the Bears. I like the person Poppinga is, but his inability to cover a tight end really effects what others do in this scheme. Hawk is better getting into a zone jumping on running backs or wide outs coming over the middle, but he is taken out of his game having to run with a tight end. He is playmaker that needs to be around the line of scrimmage.

Maybe developing a sub package that isn't quite base but not quite nickle would help. Maybe in 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 7 type situations we could sub Rouse for Poppinga, playing Rouse as a Rover type SS/LB. That would allow Hawk to be more at home on the weakside and also help our TE coverage (assuming Rouse is good at it)