PDA

View Full Version : Making Football Amends at Lambeau

oregonpackfan
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
During the PR weekend, I took the Lambeau Field tour with MJZiggy and Tarlem.

In our group, I noticed their were two members of our group who were wearing Oklahoma Sooner jerseys. I was wearing an Oregon Ducks polo shirt along with a Ducks cap.

If you recall the 2006 college football season, the Oklahoma Sooners played the Ducks on national TV. Two very controversial calls against Oklahoma by the replay official were made during the game. The last call on an onside kick with 45 seconds gave Oregon the ball. Oregon went on to score a touchdown and win the game.

Replays on National TV showed the call on the onside kick clearly should have gone in Oklahoma's favor. Even my 12 year old, who was watching the game with me said, "Dad, how can they possibly give the ball to Oregon?"

The next day the controversy broiled higher when it was discovered the replay official was born and raised and still lives in Portland, Oregon.

I walked over to the guys and introduced myself. I said, " On behalf of the state of Oregon, I apologize for the lousy officiating in the UO-OU game last year. If it's any consolation to you, that replay official was suspended for the rest of the season. Furthermore, he decided to take "Voluntary" early retirement from officiating this year."

They both laughed and said, "Thanks, but we've gotten over it. We're just here to take the tour and cheer on the Packers tomorrow night."

The three of us shook hands and agreed to focus on our beloved Packers.

Badgerinmaine
10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice story! Time heals all wounds (and wounds all heels :) ) I am glad you were all able to focus on the essential matter at hand of rooting for the Packers to beat the Bears.