PDA

View Full Version : Mewelde Moore to be traded - NFL trade deadline Oct. 16

woodbuck27
10-10-2007, 07:35 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgN3eCNaiDSSwhWP.t0S1wOM2bYF?slug=jc-vikingsmoore100907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sources: Vikings expected to trade Moore

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

October 9, 2007

The Minnesota Vikings should know within a week if their decision to be patient in trading a player they don't want will pay off.

Multiple sources said running back Mewelde Moore is expected to be traded by the NFL trade deadline on Oct. 16.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers contacted Minnesota last week after losing running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams to a right patellar tendon injury on Sept. 30 in a victory over the Carolina Panthers. Tampa Bay's need for a running back increased when it lost Michael Pittman for six to eight weeks with a broken right fibula during Sunday's loss to the Indianapolis Colts. The Bucs are down to running back Earnest Graham.

However, the difference in what the Bucs have offered and what the Vikings want is significant. Tampa Bay offered a sixth-round pick for Moore, who has been inactive for most of the two seasons under coach Brad Childress, and is behind backs Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson on the depth chart.

Still, Minnesota has asked for a third-round pick for Moore, who was originally a fourth-round pick in 2004 and showed flashes of potential in his first two seasons. The Vikings are currently hoping the Bucs will give in to desperation or that a few other teams, such as the Denver Broncos, Houston Texans or Green Bay Packers, end up in the bidding for Moore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Denver is expected to lose running back Travis Henry to suspension following published reports last week that he tested positive for marijuana. Henry, a repeat offender, is facing at least a one-year suspension. In Houston, Ahman Green missed the game Sunday against the Miami Dolphins with a bruised left knee and is out indefinitely. Green Bay's running game has been ineffective all season and rookie Brandon Jackson, who opened the season as a starter, is currently sidelined with a shin injury.

In addition, there isn't a lot available. San Diego Chargers backup Michael Turner is a popular commodity. He is scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the season as well, but general manager A.J. Smith doesn't want to deal Turner. First, Smith thinks the Chargers are a title contender this season and wants to have a strong backup for LaDainian Tomlinson. Second, Smith figures that the Chargers will receive a third-round draft compensatory pick in 2009 assuming Turner signs a lucrative free-agent deal elsewhere after this season and becomes a productive back.

"The difference between the pick you might get now and what you'll get down the line isn't enough to make a trade worth it," a Chargers source said.

As for other notable backs, Miami has Ricky Williams. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Williams can be traded while he serves his suspension for violation of the league's substance-abuse policy. However, Williams applied for reinstatement to the league last week. The earliest he would likely be reinstated is Nov. 1 and the process could go until Dec. 1.

And as tantalizing as Williams might sound, he hasn't played in the NFL since 2005. He was a good backup for Miami that season, but had a lackluster performance in the CFL in 2006, during which he missed time with a broken arm.

Still, the idea of Moore being worth a third-round pick seems a stretch.

"You're not talking about a player that somebody wants to trade for and keep with a long-term deal," a source said of Moore. "He's a good kid, but basically the Bucs want to bring him in, let him play it out and let him hit free agency. That's not worth a third-round pick."

At least not yet.

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Cheesehead Craig
10-10-2007, 07:44 AM
A 3rd round pick for Moore? That's nuts.

Rastak
10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
4th or more likely a 5th. I'd keep him if a 6 is all that's offered.

Cheesehead Craig
10-10-2007, 08:18 AM
He's worth a 5th, tops.

Rastak
10-10-2007, 08:37 AM
He's worth a 5th, tops.

What a guy is worth and what you get for him isn't always the same though, is it?

3irty1
10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
A great GM could probobly deal him for a 3rd.

Partial
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I think it has more to do with quality of player than prowess of the GM. To insinuate that a stud GM could get a third for a player with 5th round value is dumb.

Carolina_Packer
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Seems like there would be a better stop-gap measure for Tampa than to give up a higher round draft pick.

From Scout.com
(Best Available)
Duce Staley - Has put on weight over the last two years and had become a weekly inactive for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Still could fill a No. 2 role.
Lee Suggs - High upside back but injury prone. Could fill a No. 2 role for a team. Tried out for the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans recently.
Mike Cloud - Good special teams player and could fill a No. 3 role.
J.R. Redmond
Kerry Carter
Damien Anderson
DeAndra Cobb (Michigan St.)
Jarrett Payton (son of Sweetness, formerly with the Titans, good size)

These are other possibilities...Eric Shelton (was with Carolina, out of Louisville)
Corey Dillon-Has he officially hung it up? How bad could he be for the rest of the Bucs season?
William Green-Has he been sighted in a couple of years?

Anyone else you can think of off the street? That's what I would do if I were the Bucs, compared with giving up a valuable draft choice. Plus, you are getting Pittman back this season. Just have to ride out the tide and not panic.

cheesner
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I doubt the Packers have any interest. I don't think he is any better than what we have now.

mngolf19
10-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Couple things. Never believe the Pioneer Press they make up crap. I too believe Moore will be traded, but it will likely be for something in between like a 4th or 5th. And I think the reason Tampa is focusing on Moore is that the papers down there think he is a perfect fit for their use of an RB. And your right, the Packers will not be trading for Moore. I doubt they would want to anyway, but I'm almost positive the Vikes would not trade to a divisional rival.

3irty1
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Tampa signed Zach Crockett. They are looking really good now. :wink:

Lurker64
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
What a guy is worth and what you get for him isn't always the same though, is it?

Yeah, especially since at this time of year most everybody costs more than they're worth. Teams that fancy themselves "contenders" if they get "that one missing piece" tend to be willing to overpay.

3irty1
10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
I think it has more to do with quality of player than prowess of the GM. To insinuate that a stud GM could get a third for a player with 5th round value is dumb.

5th round value is a fluid concept. You saying he has 5th round value is dumb. If Tampa is desperate so he's more valuable to them.