PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Fuzzy Thurston

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
GBM, Superfan, and myself stopped in to have lunch at Fuzzy Thurston's on Saturday. Fuzzy was there, and he talked to us for awhile. He seems like a nice man, and it was fascinating to talk to him about the old days. It's too bad he has the voice problem. I felt bad that I was asking him questions--because it looked like a real strain for him to reply.

Here were some of his opinions:

1) He thought Gale Sayers was better than Jim Brown. He said Sayers gave the Packers fits--while they usually controlled Brown.
2) I asked him if Forrest Gregg was the best OL on Lombardi's Packers, and he jokingly said he was. He didn't give any one OL on the team extra props. He said they were all good and worked well together.
3) He said Butkus vs. Nitschke was a tossup. He said they were the two best LBs back in the era. He said Sam Huff was an overrated, cheap shot artist.
4) He said Herb Adderley was the best CB in the league at the time. He said Willie Wood was the toughest guy on the team.
5) I asked him about Otto Graham. He said he was a great QB, but said that Brett Favre was the best QB of all-time. I asked him "even over Bart?" He replied that Bart was smart, but that the team was so good that he didn't have to play from behind so much. He likes Brett's style. He said who cares if you throw interceptions when your 14 points behind. He likes that he tries to make plays, and doesn't worry about his stats.
6) He said Boyd Dowler vs. Max McGee was a tossup.
7) Surprisingly to me, he said he'd take Paul Hornung over Jim Taylor. He said that Taylor was a better runner, but Hornung was smart and a better all around player. He said Taylor left town over money, and that nobody could blame him.

MTPackerfan
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Cool, thanks for posting. When I was in GB last year for the Detroit game, Fuzzy stopped by the motel we were staying at and partook of a free continental breakfast. He parked out front in the loading zone area. I recognized him but his car had Fuzzy (sorry forgot his number) plates so it was obvious. I thought that was pretty cool, local establishments welcome him in.

LL2
10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I bought my tickets this year through Fuzzy's website. When the tickets were sent it included tickets to free drinks and a flyer on a cookout before the game. I'll buy my next tickets through him as well.

MadtownPacker
10-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I knew I should have got there on Saturday. I missed this and checkign out Favre's pad.

This is why you laggers who didnt go should show up next year. All kinds of interesting shizzle happened.

LL2
10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I'll try to go next year but I got tickets to a different game this year.

Cheesehead Craig
10-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I bought my tickets this year through Fuzzy's website. When the tickets were sent it included tickets to free drinks and a flyer on a cookout before the game. I'll buy my next tickets through him as well.
The package deal is pretty nice. Gone through him both times I went to Lambeau and will always do so.

Rastak
10-10-2007, 12:24 PM
GBM, Superfan, and myself stopped in to have lunch at Fuzzy Thurston's on Saturday. Fuzzy was there, and he talked to us for awhile. He seems like a nice man, and it was fascinating to talk to him about the old days. It's too bad he has the voice problem. I felt bad that I was asking him questions--because it looked like a real strain for him to reply.

Here were some of his opinions:

1) He thought Gale Sayers was better than Jim Brown. He said Sayers gave the Packers fits--while they usually controlled Brown.
2) I asked him if Forrest Gregg was the best OL on Lombardi's Packers, and he jokingly said he was. He didn't give any one OL on the team extra props. He said they were all good and worked well together.
3) He said Butkus vs. Nitschke was a tossup. He said they were the two best LBs back in the era. He said Sam Huff was an overrated, cheap shot artist.
4) He said Herb Adderley was the best CB in the league at the time. He said Willie Wood was the toughest guy on the team.
5) I asked him about Otto Graham. He said he was a great QB, but said that Brett Favre was the best QB of all-time. I asked him "even over Bart?" He replied that Bart was smart, but that the team was so good that he didn't have to play from behind so much. He likes Brett's style. He said who cares if you throw interceptions when your 14 points behind. He likes that he tries to make plays, and doesn't worry about his stats.
6) He said Boyd Dowler vs. Max McGee was a tossup.
7) Surprisingly to me, he said he'd take Paul Hornung over Jim Taylor. He said that Taylor was a better runner, but Hornung was smart and a better all around player. He said Taylor left town over money, and that nobody could blame him.

Wow, is that cool!

Best I ever did was chat with Stu Voight a few years back.

superfan
10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Fuzzy was a VERY nice guy, and seemed like he wanted to talk, even though it was a struggle.

He even kissed GBRulz. :hug:

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2007, 12:43 PM

the girl appears to be the aggressor in your graphic. Details?

Green Bud Packer
10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
The Lombardi era players are a special group.

I wonder how many ex-players will show up in 2021 for the 25th anniversary of the '96 Super bowl?

MJZiggy
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Fuzzy was a VERY nice guy, and seemed like he wanted to talk, even though it was a struggle.

Were you there while we were on the stadium tour? If I'd known you guys were going to be there, maybe we'd have gone there instead of Curly's...

packinpatland
10-10-2007, 01:30 PM
We went to Fuzzy's on Monday for lunch. What a place! $3.00 cheeseburgers! And they were large! There were two older men sitting playing cribbage, the walls were filled with photos etc.........
Has to be on our list for next year.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s229/packinpatland/Fuzzys.jpg

superfan
10-10-2007, 02:21 PM

the girl appears to be the aggressor in your graphic. Details?

Actually, I think Fuzzy made the first move. He has that confidence that can only come from being an old guy with celebrity status.

superfan
10-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Were you there while we were on the stadium tour? If I'd known you guys were going to be there, maybe we'd have gone there instead of Curly's...

I think we were there while you guys were waiting 3 hours for your table at the Steakhouse.

MJZiggy
10-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Then you really should have called.

GBRulz
10-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Why Zig, you didn't answer your phone all weekend anyhow!! :wink:

Anyhow, Mad knew where we were.

MJZiggy
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I answered every time I actually heard it ring...just like you did.

GBRulz
10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

2 kisses and a chokehold!

Fuzzy really is a super guy. Best place for cheese curds in GB, too !!

MadtownPacker
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Why Zig, you didn't answer your phone all weekend anyhow!! :wink:

Anyhow, Mad knew where we were.Yeah but I didnt get to GB until passed 4pm. My taxi drove like a damn grandma.