PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Army

Partial
10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
So is he the new and improved John McCain or something? Straight-talkin' Maverick?

I do like what he said about War Fever with Iran, however.

I've never understood what lead him to have such a strong internet following, especially among youth. It could be a bit of monkey see monkey do, but I do see how he could appeal to younger voters.

He'll continue to suffer from lack of funding, though. He's made steps in getting funding, but I can't see him catching up with the Romney and Giuliani fundraising machines.

If I had to take a guess on which of the GOP nominees will get the nod, I'd guess Romney, but it's pretty up in the air. It could go either way.

For me, though, I'm an Obama guy. But, goddamnit, he needs to win Iowa or New Hampshire to have a chance. If Hillary comes out strong he's practically done.

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Check out this Ron Paul endorsement that I found on YouTube.

On May 9th, I was near death, "politically comatose". My brother emailed me and said, "You need to see a doctor...Dr. Ron Paul". I contemplated the "doctors" that put me into this state...the politicians that I've written to on issues in the past, only to get a form letter thanking me for my concerns, and seeing that politician vote against my position. I thought about the political party that exploited my faith, that's failed me and all the other "sheeple" who fell for their mis-leading rhetoric. But for the sake of my kids, I had to do something. I went to the E.R., www.RonPaul2008.com, where I was immediately started on an IV drip of truth, disclosure, discovery, common sense, with some refreshing political rhetoric I could understand. While on this drip I was given a pill that was, quite frankly, easy to swallow - a double dose of Constitutional truths, and lots of quotes from some really old guys...the Founding Fathers. Mind you, when it comes to doctors, I really prefer one with lots of experience, don't you? Well, in no time at all, I was back on my political feet, not only walking, but running at break-neck speeds, for my doctor, Congressman Ron Paul.

:lol: :lol:

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey, anybody remember the last Ron Paul thread? :D

Hopefully this one is as entertaining as the last.

Joemailman
10-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Right now Paul is drawing crowds and raising money (5 million last quarter), but it's not translating to poll numbers. However, New Hampshire has always liked mavericks. McCain won there in 2000, so Paul may be able to make some inroads there. I sure don't agree with everything he says, but I'd take him over any of the other Republican candidates.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Ron Paul is sort of the Dennis Kucinich of the Republican Party. They both are able to espouse pure, clear ideologies. They are huggable.

I would LOVE to see a Ron Paul - RuPaul Liberterian-Libertine ticket. That would be hot.

Joemailman
10-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Ron Paul is sort of the Dennis Kucinich of the Republican Party. They both are able to espouse pure, clear ideologies. They are huggable.

Yes, but the difference is Ron Paul doesn't look like an elf.

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Yes, but the difference is Ron Paul doesn't look like an elf.

And he doesn't have a 6 foot wife who is 30 younger years younger than him.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 05:45 PM
a 6 foot wife who is 30 younger years younger than him.

that is a bad thing?

Joemailman
10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/images/hp/332/kucinich1212b.jpg

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
DP.

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 05:55 PM
a 6 foot wife who is 30 younger years younger than him.

that is a bad thing?

No way, no how.

How could having this as your wife possibly be a bad thing?

http://aquadoc.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/10/elizabeth_kucinich_2.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
she's the spittin image of Juliane Moore (who showed her lovely auburn babushka in "Short Cuts")

http://www.notwriting.com/images/julianne-moore-2.jpg

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 06:09 PM

I would LOVE to see a Ron Paul - RuPaul Liberterian-Libertine ticket. That would be hot.

They are both lunatics. Maybe you can go to Syria with Kucinich on his next tour HH and applaud Assad - he only ordered the assassination of 10 Lebanese politicians this year. I guess that IS a clear ideology. Useful idiot.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe you can go to Syria with Kucinich on his next tour HH and applaud Assad - he only ordered the assassination of 10 Lebanese politicians this year .

applaud? please.

Guy on the right responsibe for > 20M deaths. Now, I guess you would fault pinko Roosevelt, but you gonna damn Churchill too?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Yalta_Conference.jpg/250px-Yalta_Conference.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
i take it all back. pretty stupid comparison.

but..... i think our government should meet with EVERY government leader in the world.

Diplomatic isolation rarely accomplishes anything, ALWAYS carries foolish price.

BTW, I don't support anyone mention in this thread. Except roosevelt, churchill and RuPaul, the big three.

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Happy Kucinich

http://www.tuckborough.net/images/smeagol.jpg

angry Kucinich

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ADVG/436~Talking-Smeagol-Posters.jpg

My Precious!

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 06:18 PM
there is some physical resemblence on the bottom one.

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
i take it all back. pretty stupid comparison.

but..... i think our government should meet with EVERY government leader in the world.

Diplomatic isolation rarely accomplishes anything, ALWAYS carries foolish price.

BTW, I don't support anyone mention in this thread. Except roosevelt, churchill and RuPaul, the big three.

Good take back. Worked with Stalin to get rid of Hitler. Then took care of commies.

I thought diplomatic isolation of Hitler and Mussolini was a good idea.

Joemailman
10-11-2007, 06:21 PM

They are both lunatics. Maybe you can go to Syria with Kucinich on his next tour HH and applaud Assad - he only ordered the assassination of 10 Lebanese politicians this year. I guess that IS a clear ideology. Useful idiot.

Only ten politicians assassinated? If I were an Iraqi politician, I'd head there. A relative paradise.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 06:33 PM

I don't think it was a good idea. Even in the most extreme cases, better to keep channels open. (which I suppose they did anyway through Swiss or something, eh?)

Breaking diplomatic relations is so stupid. Diplomatic isolation helped with South Africa, but that was a rare exception.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Only ten politicians assassinated? If I were an Iraqi politician, I'd head there. A relative paradise.

:lol: ( which is to say I got your joke and am not arguing with you, I know how tender your feelings are.)

Syria really is a loathsome government. But its a perfect example of the value of not breaking relations. They have this unnatural alliance with Iran that we've driven them too with our isolation policy.

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 07:20 PM

There's a big difference between a head of state ordering assassinations and al quaeda, especially when you have an elected official applauding the Syrian head of state. Is that too difficult for your addled mind to comprehend?

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 07:24 PM

I don't think it was a good idea. Even in the most extreme cases, better to keep channels open. (which I suppose they did anyway through Swiss or something, eh?)

Breaking diplomatic relations is so stupid. Diplomatic isolation helped with South Africa, but that was a rare exception.

You totally contradict yourself. It worked with S. Africa, didn't it? The reason it didn't work with Iraq and now Iran is that other nations (France and Russia in the case of Iraq and Russia and China in the case or Iran) are either making money of the regimes or are using it as a method to counter the U.S.

You're worse than a Chamberlin, HH. How exactly would you bargain with Hitler? We'll stop bombing Dresden if you close down half your ovens?

Partial
10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
724 strong here at PR

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 07:26 PM

:lol: ( which is to say I got your joke and am not arguing with you, I know how tender your feelings are.)

Syria really is a loathsome government. But its a perfect example of the value of not breaking relations. They have this unnatural alliance with Iran that we've driven them too with our isolation policy.

They had it before. Where the hell do you think the weapons were coming from for use in Lebanon? They've been aligned with Iran for decades.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 07:56 PM

You totally contradict yourself. It worked with S. Africa, didn't it? The reason it didn't work with Iraq and now Iran is that other nations (France and Russia in the case of Iraq and Russia and China in the case or Iran) are either making money of the regimes or are using it as a method to counter the U.S.

sanctions and breaking diplomatic ties are two different things. you can have sanctions and still keep diplomatic ties.

It is hard for EITHER of them to work, as you point out with Iran. Which is the best argument for skipping sanctions and diplomacy-breaking all together.
The track record for sanctions is abysmal.

(I mentioned S.A. to acknowledge the rare exception.)

You're worse than a Chamberlin, HH. How exactly would you bargain with Hitler? We'll stop bombing Dresden if you close down half your ovens?

There are ALWAYS some points mutual interests that can be negotiated, even with a Hitler. Exchanges of wounded badly wounded prisoners. Red Cross Access. We still had some business dealings with Germany even during WWII, beleive it or not.

Of course Hitler is the worst case scenario. In more typical cases of conflict, like Iran, our mutual interests are ENORMOUS. In fact, Iran really should be an ally in the middle east, or at least we have as much in common as we do in conflict, they should be at worst a neutral partner.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
They had it before. Where the hell do you think the weapons were coming from for use in Lebanon? They've been aligned with Iran for decades.

We are both out of our depth in discussing Iran-Syria relations. Syria vascillates between the Arab and Persian camps. They are ruled by a Sunni Bathist Party. I will read some more, but for sure our isolation policy with Syria has driven them towards Iran.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.cfr.org/publication/11122/

What’s the history of the link between Syria and Iran?

The alliance dates back to the early-to mid-1970s, when conflict and rivalry arose between then-Syrian President Hafez al-Assad's version of Baathism and Saddam Hussein's in Iraq, Lasensky says. In the 1990s, the relationship grew more distant as each country pursued its own interests. Syria under Hafez al-Assad was deeply engaged in the Middle East peace process as Damascus tried to regain the Golan Heights from Israel through negotiations. At the same time, Iran took a less-invested position on the peace process, saying it would support whatever outcome helped the Palestinians. "They had bigger fish to fry," Hokayem says.

The two nations kept their wary relations until the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 made them both nervous. Syria, feeling particularly vulnerable, pushed for a mutual defense pact with Iran that included parts of Lebanon, then under Syrian control. "The Syrians are the ones who started this [current relationship]," Berman says. "They were the ones who felt vulnerable, who felt that they needed protection."

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
The track record for sanctions is abysmal.

Exchanges of wounded badly wounded prisoners. Red Cross Access.

We still had some business dealings with Germany even during WWII, beleive it or not.

Of course Hitler is the worst case scenario. In more typical cases of conflict, like Iran, our mutual interests are ENORMOUS. In fact, Iran really should be an ally in the middle east, or at least we have as much in common as we do in conflict, they should be at worst a neutral partner.

I have no idea where you're coming from.

IBM sold counting machines to Hitler, and I guess the Swiss imported gold bars melted down from the fillings of 6 million Jews and 5 million other ethnic minorities. That's good business

In case you hadn't noticed, the U.S. has met with Iranian officials on many occasions over the past year. So what?

What exactly are our mutual intrests with Iran? They support the most dangerous terrorists in Lebanon, Syria, and Palestine. I'm sure you've heard of Hezbollah and Hamas. We deal with the Saudis to whore for oil for the U.S. and our allies. What does that get us? Better funded radical Islamic mosques around the world. Good dealings.

mraynrand
10-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Syria under Hafez al-Assad was deeply engaged in the Middle East peace process as Damascus tried to regain the Golan Heights from Israel through negotiations. At the same time, Iran took a less-invested position on the peace process, saying it would support whatever outcome helped the Palestinians.

Gotta like the way Syria and the other Islamic nations 'negotiated' with Israel hisorically. They kept those 'negotiations' open until Israel closed them militarily.

But if your right that the U.S. and Iran have so many common interests, then we should share common interests with Syria too. Why should they be afraid? They should just want to negotiate with us as well, right? Ahh, that explains the Kucinich envoy. 'Syria, if you stop exterminating Lebanese leaders unfavorable to you and stop supporting hezbollah, we promise to...."

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 08:24 PM
What exactly are our mutual intrests with Iran?

Iran could be our greatest partner in the war on Islamic Fundamentalism.

The caliphate that the Islamic radicals want to establish is a Sunni institution. They view Shitte Muslims with as much animosity as they do the christians and the West. Shitte muslims are mostly in Iran and South Iraq.

Al Qaida are bitter adversaries of Shitte Muslims. The Wahabbi brand of Islam that you hear about in Saudi Arabi preach hatred of the Shitte.

Our war in Afghanistan was so successful largely because of good cooperation with Iran. Iran are bitter enemies of the Taliban. (altho we have recently managed to push them into a position of tactical cooperation with Bush's idiotic policy.)

They support the most dangerous terrorists in Lebanon, Syria, and Palestine. I'm sure you've heard of Hezbollah and Hamas .

Yes, Hezbollah. But Hezbollah is a Shitte organization with zero history or interest in international terrorism. Their fight has been with local rivals, especially Isreal. Which I don't completely discount.

Hamas - different kettle of fish. Ummm, they are fighting Israel. Only very recently have they received support via Iran.

We deal with the Saudis to whore for oil for the U.S. and our allies. What does that get us? Better funded radical Islamic mosques around the world. Good dealings.

Good lord. Sorry, MrAnnRand, but you and I are just at polar opposites. I believe in MUCH more diplomacy, not less. Saudi Arabia is perfect example. We have benefited greatly from our strong relationship with them, despite the many ways they have been bitches. The idea of diplomacy is to keep your freinds close and your enemies even closer.

Joemailman
10-11-2007, 08:27 PM

The time to talk to Hitler would have been in 1938, not after the war started. You know, like telling him that an attack on France and Britain would result in our involvement. Might have given Chamberlain a backbone.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 08:31 PM
The time to talk to Hitler would have been in 1938, not after the war started. You know, like telling him that an attack on France and Britain would result in our involvement. Might have given Chamberlain a backbone.

you are right. but I believe in always keeping diplomatic channels open. it can be useful.

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Ding. Ding. Ding. There's the bell.

Back on topic..... :lol:

MJZiggy
10-11-2007, 09:12 PM
There was a topic?

BallHawk
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
There was a topic?

Hard to believe, isn't it? :)

EDIT: That emoticon freaks me out.

Joemailman
10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Okay, back to Ron Paul. I think he's cool because he's a Republican from the same state as Bush and he's not afraid to speak out against the war. He's also not afraid to speak out against the assault on the constitution orchestrated by the Bushies with the aid of the capitulating Congress. Unfortunately, I think the nomination will be sewed up by someone before they get to the Wisconsin primary.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Our system has ZERO room for the Ron Pauls of this world. The only party where he fits is the Libertarian.

And more Ron Pauls are not going to change anything.

Did Ross Perot or John Anderson change the system?

Presidential politics are almost fixed. Usually the establishment insider wins in both parties, you can usually pick the nominees years in advance. And the high cost of campaigning keeps tightening that stranglehold.

We don't have much democracy for Presidential politcs.

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Harlan, what difference does it make that Iran is Shia and Iraq is sunni - they are both radicalized. You want us to play them off against each other (that's what al quaeda did in Iraq that cause so much havoc) - alternatively, want us to take sides with the shia - well, I guess that's provisionally possibl, but it's really nothing other than the same stuff over and over - use Stalin to help get rid of Hitler, use Afghani elements to dig at the Soviets - then the radicalized among them come back to bite us.

The point about Saudi Arabia is that you look at 'negotiations' as some sort of panacea. Sometimes it 'works' (is to your benefit) and sometimes you're just being a useful idiot. Sometimes both at the same time, like Saudi Arabia.

I think you guys are wrong - way wrong - about Hitler. Any conversation with him would have been useless and more likely, devastating. I'm certain he would have loved to talk with us and make some deals. The country was very anti war and was doing everything it could to prevent FDR from even helping Britain with supplies. Any little deal he could have made to reduce our helping Britain - in any way - money, supplies, etc. might just have weakened Britain enough so that Germany would have won the Battle of Britain. Imagine Hitler coming to Columbia telling the admiring students and press how he had no designs on Britain and that it was ou supplying Britain that was making him nervous and threatened. The Keith Olberman of the day would call FDR the "Worst Person in the World" for trying to incite a fight with Hitler. Talking with Hitler would NEVER have delayed Hitler's attacks, but it very likely would have diminished or delayed our helping England.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Harlan, what difference does it make that Iran is Shia and Iraq is sunni - they are both radicalized.

No, this is certainly not true. Well, in some places, like Lebanon, it is getting more true I suppose.

The idealogical threat we are fighting is coming from Sunnis and Sunnis only.

Americans and America are quite popular in Iran. The Iranians are schizophrenic - angry over the history with the Shah, yet with warm feelings and admiration for the U.S. The United States is more popular in Iran than any place in the middle east besides Israel.

The Iranian people are NOT radicalized. They are teeming with resentment at the mullahs; and their nutjob president is deeply resented. One of the reasons we are popular there is that the U.S. has had no presence for a number of years. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. And many Iranians were educated in U.S. Universities.

Iran is the perfect place where democracy might evolve organically. They are an ideal country, in my view, to partner with, to have some patience with. The place is not especially repressive, there is more freedom of speech there than in the Arab countries, and they are ruled by a broad oligarchy rather than a tyrant, as in the ARab countries. BTW, the President of Iran has about as much power as Condoleesa Rice.

Iran is badly mismanaged economically, and the people are frustrated, restive, and well educated.

You want us to play them off against each other (that's what al quaeda did in Iraq that cause so much havoc) - alternatively, want us to take sides with the shia - well, I guess that's provisionally possibl, but it's really nothing other than the same stuff over and over - use Stalin to help get rid of Hitler, use Afghani elements to dig at the Soviets - then the radicalized among them come back to bite us.

No, this is really not what I'm saying. Iran could and should be a better friend of ours than Saudi Arabia. And they might be unreliable partners like the Saudis, but overall useful.

IRAN SHOULD BE ALLIED WITH THE U.S. in IRAQ!! If we had not made existential threats to the Iranians, they would have had every reason to support stability in Iraq. Bush made a horrible, horrible mistake by telling Iran "you're next, pal." Instead of helping us, they have made the project hellish. And frankly, who could blame them?

I think you guys are wrong - way wrong - about Hitler. Any conversation with him would have been useless and more likely, devastating.

nah. I'm just suggesting to keep lines of communication open. You don't give your enemy propaganda platforms, just keep talking behind the scenes.

The Hitler case is the worst case scenario for what I'm saying, and has little applicability. You're right, there would be very little to discuss with Der Fuhrer. But certainly plenty value in communication with say, the North Koreans, Syrians, Iranians, Venezuala, Cuba .....

digitaldean
10-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I voted for Perot in 1992 and would vote for Ron Paul with the exception of his foreign policy stances. In the today's post 9/11 world we do have to go after those who want to destroy us. The stance on the Patriot Act I don't agree with either, but I admire his consistency.

His stances on abolishing the IRS and toning down the spending are what I like about him most.

His stances on the 2nd Amendment, home schooling, property rights, etc. are pretty much in line with I believe.

Right now BOTH parties suck at controlling spending. NO ONE has truly come out with a legitmate immigration enforcement plan.

I have voted 3rd party before, but I've learned from '92. The 3rd party candidate I want to vote for has to be head and shoulders above all else. The end result may be another Clinton in the White House otherwise.

The GOP candidates, don't thrill me. I like Rudy's foreign policy stances, but his liberal social policies make me leery. Romney has proven to be a successful leader in Mass., but something about him appears too polished. I do like Fred Thompson, but his ambivolence in some of the domestic issues (plus his support of McCain/Feingold) cause me to 2nd guess him.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
The political mix of this forum consists of:

libertarians with republican leanings
socially conservative republicans
right wing nutjobs
a phone booth full of democrats

Joemailman
10-13-2007, 06:54 PM
The political mix of this forum consists of:

libertarians with republican leanings
socially conservative republicans
right wing nutjobs
a phone booth full of democrats

You left out left-leaning independents.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2007, 11:22 PM
ok joe, but you don't get an entire phone booth.