PDA

View Full Version : Sharper at it again...

packers11
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
pft.com

SHARPER TRADES BARBS WITH CHICAGO TIGHT ENDS

Vikings safety Darren Sharper didn't learn his lesson after guaranteeing victory against the Packers a couple of weeks ago.

This time around, Sharper is taking shots at the Bears' tight ends.

"I'm never concerned about the tight end," Sharper said on Wednesday. "If a tight end catches a ball on me, then I need to be fired."

In response, Bears tight end Desmond Clark said that Sharper needs "to worry about his job security."

Added rookie tight end Greg Olsen, who caught four passes for 57 yards and a touchdown against the Packers: "I'm sure at one time a tight end caught the ball on him. He's been in the league. I'll go out on a limb and say a tight end has caught the ball at least one time."

Olsen is right. Tight ends have caught the ball against the Vikings in 2007. Alge Crumpler of the Falcons snared four passes for 40 yards. Tony Gonzalez of the Chiefs caught seven for 96 yards. Donald Lee of the Packers hauled in four passes for 66 yards.

Sharper's comments make even less sense when considering that the team's base defensive package -- the Cover 2 -- makes it easier for tight ends to catch passes due to the soft spots in the two-deep zone.

packers11
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
does he ever shut the hell up???

the_idle_threat
10-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Normally I hate Sharper, but I laughed at his quote above. Probably because I hate the Bears that much.

Cheesehead Craig
10-12-2007, 08:20 AM
His team is 1-3, the QB situation stinks, the HC is a moron and the pass defense is terrible. Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse, Sharper proves that their trash talk is pathetic.

Rastak
10-12-2007, 09:05 AM
His team is 1-3, the QB situation stinks, the HC is a moron and the pass defense is terrible. Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse, Sharper proves that their trash talk is pathetic.

What's that have to do with anything Craig? Man, you get wound up over the slightest shit.

GBRulz
10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
pft.com

Vikings safety Darren Sharper didn't learn his lesson after guaranteeing victory against the Packers a couple of weeks ago.

I guess I don't remember hearing that comment from him. That alone is pretty funny.

Sharper is always running his mouth, so I guess it goes in one ear, out the other.

Carolina_Packer
10-12-2007, 09:25 AM
pft.com

I guess I don't remember hearing that comment from him. That alone is pretty funny.

Sharper is always running his mouth, so I guess it goes in one ear, out the other.

Well, I'd be worried about a player who didn't have any fire. Then you'd know you were beat. Call it gamesmanship or call it stupid banter, but I'm sure he's doing it to try and help gain an edge somehow. Why else would you do it? It must be the week to trash talk TE's, because Miami's Joey Porter was calling out Soldier Boy Kellen Winslow for being a WR, not a TE. OK? If you get beat, what difference does it make what position he plays?

Travbrew
10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
pft.com

Well, I'd be worried about a player who didn't have any fire. Then you'd know you were beat. Call it gamesmanship or call it stupid banter, but I'm sure he's doing it to try and help gain an edge somehow. Why else would you do it? It must be the week to trash talk TE's, because Miami's Joey Porter was calling out Soldier Boy Kellen Winslow for being a WR, not a TE. OK? If you get beat, what difference does it make what position he plays?

Call it gamesmanship or call it stupid banter, but I'm sure he's doing it to try and help gain an edge somehow?
Exactly....but what's the point.
More times than not, it backfires and makes you look like more than an ass.
Am I the only one that has not really liked Sharper since his "Dare-ren Shar-pee eh" on Monday Night Football a few years back. What a shit stain.

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 03:44 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1010000/images/_1011178_a300.jpg

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 03:45 PM
http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/061217/061217_jets_vlrg_130p.widec.jpg

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jan04/1fred-mh111.jpg

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 03:55 PM
http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/image/112199/irvin1121.jpg

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 04:00 PM
http://static.flickr.com/117/297105755_eeff9b20ab_m.jpg

Travbrew
10-12-2007, 04:09 PM
AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
You just had to put 4th & 26 up there didn't you?

VanPackFan
10-12-2007, 04:14 PM
As someone who gets paid to write about sports for a living, I have absolutely no problem with athletes who say things like this. The sports world is far too buttoned down. God bless people like Jeremy Roenick and Brett Hull for making hockey a bit more lively, and good for Sharper for entertaining us, if only for a few moments.

Having said that, I also realize why the sports world is in the buttoned down state that it is. Calling out opposing players can be a recipe for disaster. I don't know how much of Greg Olson Sharper has seen, but that's one kid I wouldn't be riling up.
Sharper also has to consider the situation he and his team are in. They do suck. They are not in a good position to be trash-talking anyone.

Say something like this when you're 3-1 and it's called swagger. Say it when you're 1-3 and it's called stupidity.

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
As someone who gets paid to write about sports for a living, I have absolutely no problem with athletes who say things like this. The sports world is far too buttoned down.

This guy agrees with you

http://www.wickedtirade.com/images/coaches/dennis-green.jpg

THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!

VanPackFan
10-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Well... Denny may have taken it a touch over the top.
Still, the world needs more Dennis Greens and Jim Moras and less Bill Beliciks.

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Well... Denny may have taken it a touch over the top.
Still, the world needs more Dennis Greens and Jim Moras and less Bill Beliciks.

I agree with you. Denny Green and Mora were classic. More outbursts!

4and12to12and4
10-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree, who cares, let him talk, maybe it'll get his team fired up. I mean, he is one of the best players on the team and has been one of the best safeties in the league for a long time. He's earned the right to talk shit if he wants. I wish we still had he and McKenzie here, we would be elite defensively. Maybe he's just trying to energize his team. Big friggin' deal. I like Sharper, he did a lot of good things in GB. Give the guy a break. Some here are just pissed that he's not playing for us anymore and we've got guys like Bush running around allowing offenses to do whatever the hell they want to our nickel and dime defense.

Tarlam!
10-12-2007, 05:39 PM
As someone who gets paid to write about sports for a living, ....

Yes. Well, this does beg for more insight, doesn't it?

oregonpackfan
10-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Sharper may have his hands full with the Bears TE Greg Olson. Frankly, in the Packers-Bears game, Olson really impressed me with his ability to get open and his pass-catching skills.

Sharper may end up eating crow again.

BEARMAN
10-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Sharper may have his hands full with the Bears TE Greg Olson. Frankly, in the Packers-Bears game, Olson really impressed me with his ability to get open and his pass-catching skills.

X2 !

Hope he likes his crow cold, cos Da BEARS TE's are gonna ice him ! 8-)

retailguy
10-13-2007, 12:43 PM

X2 !

Hope he likes his crow cold, cos Da BEARS TE's are gonna ice him ! 8-)

Isn't being overconfident in the abilities of the Bears offense similar to a Packers fan staking his hope for the future on the ability of the Packers running game?

I LOVE an overconfident Bears fan, almost as much as I love Wrex Grossman... :wink:

BEARMAN
10-13-2007, 09:37 PM
True, however not as much as I LUV whooping the pack in thier own house ! :twisted:

Tarlam!
10-14-2007, 09:00 AM
True, however not as much as I LUV whooping the pack in thier own house ! :twisted:

Well, a whooping is something else. But, Da Bears did steal a "W".

BEARMAN
10-14-2007, 09:29 AM
"Steal"?, :roll: Please, lets not go there.

GBRulz
10-14-2007, 10:15 AM
"Steal"?, :roll: Please, lets not go there.

You're right Bearman, I think Tarlam meant to say that you were given a W on a silver platter.

Tarlam!
10-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Zzzzzzzzing!