PDA

View Full Version : JS CHAT

Bretsky
10-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Q: Ted of Grand Rapids Michigan - We've now had four auditions for feature back - Jackson, Wynn, Morency and Grant. To recap: Jackson is dinged up and has a knack for running straight into tackles, Wynn needs an IV after one run, Morency is MIA and Grant almosts fumbles a game away. Are any of these up to the task?

A: Tom Silverstein - Hello everyone -- I just got back from practice, which is why I'm late. Sorry about that. Let's get started right away. Ted -- Good question. Right now, you'd have to say no. This group is the sum of its parts and that sum isn't very high. Morency wasn't at practice today so there's a chance you can scratch him. Jackson is the most reliable of the group and Wynn is the most talented. Somehow, they've got to forge a combination of the two.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Terry of Chicago - Tom, With a surplus of cap cash next year, do you see the Packers going after Lance Briggs and/or Michael Turner? Both will be UFA's. Briggs could play Hawk's spot, and let Hawk take the overmatched Poppinga's position. And, obviously, Turner would be a huge upgrade over the stable of RB's they have now. Thoughts? Think Ted Thompson learned his lesson from blowing it with Randy Moss?

A: Tom Silverstein - No, I don't see that. Briggs is going to cost a ton and that's an area the Packers don't really need. Turner, if he makes it to the market, would be worth exploring. I don't know if he fits their system, so spending a ton on him could be a risk. But they're going to have to consider doing something next year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: The Rocket of Colorado - I'm still shocked by the conservative play calling of Coach McCarthy in the second half! He seemed to play not- to-lose instead of sticking with that aggressive offensive edge that has served the Packers so well this season. Now I'm afraid the Pack might be poised to do a Brewers-like collapse with another Chicago team on their fading heels. What do you think Tom?

A: Tom Silverstein - No question, McCarthy was conservative in the second half, but you have to consider his motivation, which I agree with. He knows he's going to have to rely on the run at some point this season, he knows he has to start developing some toughness with his offense and the best way to do that is in a game where you're ahead. It would have meant a lot to establish a power game against the Bears. Now, as I said in my Monday story, the thinking is sound. What wasn't was the application. Now McCarthy better be skeptical that he can finish off a game with the run.
Q: Jerry Goetz of Seattle, WA. 98109-4109 - Tom....Who publishes the "PLAY of the GAME" formation diagram for each game? Think that's a good feature ..... but haven't seen one for the Bear game. Where can one find that feature for each game? Thanks, Jerry

A: Tom Silverstein - Jerry, I do the play of the game feature each week with the aid of a graphic designer. We can't do that feature for night games because it takes too long and we would never make it to deadline. So we will get back to it this week against Washington. The only ones we won't have it for are the Monday night Broncos and Thursday night Cowboys games.
Q: Carl G of Elk Mound - Tom, please give us some insight into the inner workins of the industry. Specifically, what is your relationship like with the other beat writers? For the Packers, as well as other teams. Do you guys get along, or does it get a bit competitive and adversarial? THANKS!

A: Tom Silverstein - For the most part, the relationship between beat writers here is cordial. It's extremely competitive; no one wants to get beat on a story and everyone wants to be original with their ideas, but for the most part there aren't a lot of personal conflicts. Of course, it's not a perfect society. Like with anything else there are spats and dust ups, but they haven't been too bad around here. In some places, they can be bad, usually when two strong personalities (read, egos) butt heads. There is a natural division between TV and newspaper reporters driven by the fact each are doing the same job but quite differently. Plus, no beat guy likes getting bumped in the head with a TV camera while he's trying to listen to an interview. But I'm sure TV guys complain about our body odor or are messy hair.
Q: Jack of Denver - What is the status of Korin Robinson and Blackman's cast coming off?

A: Tom Silverstein - Check today's story on JSonline, Jack. There's an update on Robinson. Blackmon's cast is the least of his problems. He broke his foot last week and is out indefinitely.
Q: Simon of Stallis - Long time listener, love the show. I have been out of town as of late, how are the weekly picks going and what is your record picking the Packer games so far. Keep practicing those layups.

A: Tom Silverstein - The picks have been going... well, they've been going. You know those things run in cycles. Even the Yankees lose once in awhile. If you want perfection go to the SW YMCA and watch the basketball games there.
Q: Norm of Falls Church - In the 2007 NFL we clearly can not have the Jones fumbles, but do you agree that the judgment of possession has been liberalized significantly this? Last year the first fumble would have definitely been called an incomplete, and maybe even the second - the bar has changed.

A: Tom Silverstein - Possibly, Norm. I didn't study the plays real closely the following day because when I saw the replays I was pretty sure they were fumbles. You used to have to make "a football move" after you caught the ball for it to be a completion. Now you just have to have two feet down after the reception. I really thought Jones made a football move on both of them, but like I said I didn't study it carefully. I guess the rules have been liberalized, but let's face it. Offenses are always benefiting from rules changes. Defense deserves a break, too, once in awhile.
Q: Dan Tomashek of Fort Wayne Indiana - Howdy Tom, What kind of effect will the lose to the Bears on sunday night have on this young Packer teams? Will they use this lose as a step down & start questioning themselves as a team? Or will they use it as a step up & grow from their mistakes? Thanks.

A: Tom Silverstein - That's what everyone will be waiting to see Sunday. I don't think I can predict one way or the other how that will go. My guess is the Packers will struggle coming off that game. Washington has a very good defense and although they haven't really beaten anybody, this is a big game for them. They're going to be looking to crush the Packers' spirit early.
Q: Packerfan of Dallas - Tom, what do you think is the cause of the problems behind the Packer offensive line? Colledge has regressed as has Spitz, and it appears Coston has as well. Do you attribute this to bad coaching, each of those players lacking talent, scheme, or combination of all? Also, what can the team do to improve it? Thanks.

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think Colledge has regressed. I think he's better. His better play is one reason why the Packers have been able to pass the ball so well. His run blocking remains a mixed bag. Both he and Coston have to do a better job getting off their double teams and getting out to cut off linebackers. It's not an easy assignment because sometimes the defensive tackles they're double-teamming are holding them so they can't get out on the linebacker. But that's mostly an excuse. Those two have to fire out more confidently. The more they improve their upper body strengh the better they'll be at keeping linemen off them. As for Coston, he's going through growing pains. He's one of the most talented players on the line but he doesn't always get the job done. The coaches have to decide whether they can afford to keep him as a starter. Right now he has to stay because Spitz is playing center for Wells. Spitz probably should be a full-time center. That's his best position.
Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - I was wondering during the game why does Coach McCarthy always wear the same jacket every time?

A: Tom Silverstein - I'm not really sure Kimberly. I'm willing to bet he'll be trading in that windbreaker for a parka pretty soon.
Q: brady james of dells - Tom Does favre look a little like the favre of old (besides the mobility) this year? mainly '94-'98. i always thought his career would have been much different had holmgren stuck around. Were ray rhodes and mike sherman afraid to give brett that swift kick in the ass when he needed it?

A: Tom Silverstein - Perhaps that's the reason he's playing better. McCarthy is no-nonsense and he tells it like it is. Favre's used to that. He doesn't necessarily like it, but that's how his dad handled him and that's how Holmgren handled him. I think the biggest thing is that McCarthy has a philosophy and he sticks with it. Week to week he isn't changing philosophies. Sherman never seemed to have an identity with his offense. They were a great running team in '02 and '03, but they always seemed to be trying to do something else after a bad game. McCarthy may change the emphasis from one week to the next, but I think whatever it is he runs it's part of the core principles of his offense. That helps Favre a lot.
Q: WW of Minnesota - Tom, What is the timeline for a decision on Koren Robinson? Do you have a gut feeling as to how this will go?

A: Tom Silverstein - My guess is he will be reinstated, but I have no facts to base this on. The league is doing an in-depth investigation into his compliance with the substance abuse program. If he's been clean the past year and is working on his alcohol problem, I think they'll reinstate him. If he's had some relapses, they probably won't. The earliest a decision can be made is next Wednesday.
Q: Jim of Minneapolis - What was the deal with the last drive against Chicago? It seemed very conservative...was that a result of the plays called or the options that Favre choose? He looked shell-shocked and didn't seem like the normal agressive, "we can do this" Favre.

A: Tom Silverstein - Favre took the blame for not running the two-minute drill with a sense of urgency. I think some of it had to do with having a new center. Spitz needed time to read the defense and make line calls. At least once Favre was stomping his foot signaling for the snap and it didn't come. I think Favre was being kind when taking the blame.
Q: neckbone of shepherd,mi - Hey Tom: Not a whine but pure curiosity, how do you explain the officiating? Was Williams really lined up over the center? His butt maybe? I am pretty sure you can review 12 men on the field, but how could it possibly be reversed? Should we have lost a timeout even with the ball was respotted on a won challenge? And why would they call a "force-out" immediately when if they had just waited it could have been reviewed and called correctly either way? I watch a lot of football and have never seen so many bizarre calls and I thought I knew the rules. Were they just errors by the officials? Inquiring minds would like to know! Thanks!

A: Tom Silverstein - I will officially not consider you a whiner. Your questions are legit, but really I don't think it was one of those games where the calls were out of left field. I think the Williams call was iffy. His helmet appeared to be off the center's, which would make his formation legal. I haven't gotten a good explanation on the 11-man call. The challenge that resulted in a re-spot was the correct call. McCarthy can only challenge the spot in relation to the first down. If it isn't a first down he loses the challenge. As for the force out, that's a call that has to be made on the field. I don't think it can be made on replay. It's a judgment call. Most of the time, the receiver is going to get that call if there is contact.
Q: John Casper of Milwaukee - Last year I was very impressed with the Journal Sentinel raising the safety issues connected with TT signing Koren Robinson. Now, however, Robinson has demonstrated a year of sobriety. For me that changes things, I was wondering about your take.

A: Tom Silverstein - Well, we don't know for sure he's been sober for a year. That's something the NFL will have to determine. The one thing I would say about my personal take on the whole thing is that alcoholism is a disease and it needs to be treated that way. It doesn't excuse Robinson for driving while drunk and it doesn't preclude the media from questioning whether he should be signed while still dealing with his problem. The biggest issue is that like any alcoholic he needs help. If he's gotten that, great. But one has to wonder whether playing football will affect his treatment. There are a lot of unanswered questions.
Q: Doug of Prairie du Chien WI - Tom, what has happened with Grady Jackson. Did he retire. It seems like he just disappeared.

A: Tom Silverstein - He plays for Atlanta. He's a starter and has a sack.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Tom, We are five games into the season and Daryn Colledge seems to have regressed from last year, particularly in the run game. What is the liklihood that McCarthy will have to bench him?

A: Tom Silverstein - Jesse -- As I said earlier, I don't think he's regressed. He's gotten stronger, he's pass blocking very well and he has lapses in the run game. He needs to clean those up. But the alternative is starting rookie Allen Barbre, who is not ready mentally to start an NFL game.
Q: Tom Abler of Fond du Lac - Hello Tom, Even though disappointed in Sunday's loss, we all knew one of these games was coming. With this team being so young, do they have to learn how to finish a game? And with the running game the way it is, can they?

A: Tom Silverstein - That's a huge problem. They should have been able to finish that game, and I think McCarthy was trying to teach them that. Did he cough up a lose at the expense of trying to finish a game with his rushing attack? Maybe. He's very much a big-picture guy and while I don't think it was a pre-planned strategy to get ahead and then sit on the ball, I do think he wanted to make his team show the Bears it can play physical football. Despite the lousy running game, the game still could have been won with some better defense on the tight ends.
Q: Pete of Albuquerque - Hey Tom: It appears that McCarthy truly has bought into the notion of "running back by committee." What's his logic for deciding which back plays when? Is it just a question of whose healthiest at this point, or is he intending to use specific backs for specific kinds of plays (Wynn b/w the tackles, Morency on screens, etc.)? Thanks!

A: Tom Silverstein - Health is the biggest issue. I think Wynn is his most talented back and McCarthy knows it. Jackson is his most reliable. Morency isn't much of a factor because of his knee and I'm not sure he will be all season. Grant is a work in progress. Mostly, he'll be deciding between Wynn and Jackson, depending on the opponent. I would suspect they'll share time the rest of the season providing they stay healthy.
Q: Jim of Richland MI - Can you give us an update on the Packers first round draft pick? Thanks.

A: Tom Silverstein - Justin Harrell played for the first time last week against Chicago and did OK. Nothing special, which would be expected for a first game. I think he'll probably be active again this week. My guess is that the coaches are interested in bringing him along now. He's had a chance to get better acclimated to the pro game. His status will probably depend on his practice week. If he's performing well in practice he'll probably be active.
Q: Randy of Lawrenceville GA - Hey Tom, What can the Packers do to improve the play of the line especially the guards, is it just repitition in practice,does it come down to strength or smarts or what?

A: Tom Silverstein - It comes down to running the ball. They're not going to get that much better practicing. McCarthy has to stick with the run. If there's a residual effect from not running the ball the first four games of the season it's that the offensive line hasn't gotten any better blocking in it.
Q: Randy of Lawrenceville GA - Hey Tom, What is the deal with Nick Collins, how would you say he's playing, because to me it seems like he's not doing to good? Seems like he's getting burned alot.

A: Tom Silverstein - Check my column I wrote today.
Q: Cedell Jacox II of Willernie, MN - I was wondering if you could shed some light on the topic of challenges. On the play where the ball was re-placed, yet still resulted in a first down, did the Pack lose a time out based on the fact that the challenge would result in fourth and one vs. a first down? Could they have just challenged ball placement regardless of whether it was a first down or not? My question stems from a challenge in the Buffalo/Dallas game where ball placement was the challenge. The challenge was made, the ball was re-placed, the challenging team did not lose a timeout.

A: Tom Silverstein - Yes, to your first question. I don't believe they can challenge ball placement if it doesn't relate to the first down. I didn't see the Buffalo/Dallas play, but my understanding was that the challenge was for down by contact and not where the ball was spotted. Two different issues.
Q: Stevie of Milton - Tom, who do you see emerging at RB in the 2nd half of the season if, big if, all are healthy? Thanks

A: Tom Silverstein - I think it will be DeShawn Wynn. He's the most talented. Well, I've got to go head down for interviews now. Thanks for writing in and have a good afternoon.

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Silverstein is one of the biggest dummies at the JS. His Column about Collins was poorly written and argued against itself, and his understanding of football is way below average for a sports reporter. He doesn't even have any discernible style.

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 12:33 AM
A: Tom Silverstein - No question, McCarthy was conservative in the second half, but you have to consider his motivation, which I agree with. He knows he's going to have to rely on the run at some point this season, he knows he has to start developing some toughness with his offense and the best way to do that is in a game where you're ahead. It would have meant a lot to establish a power game against the Bears. Now, as I said in my Monday story, the thinking is sound. What wasn't was the application. Now McCarthy better be skeptical that he can finish off a game with the run.

This is totally wrong. Factually wrong. McCarthy said he ran the ball because Chicago went cover two and that's the best alignment to run against. McCarthy also cited field position as being a factor. It's also stupid. You don't 'develop toughness when your center is out, your #2 receiver is getting X-rays, your #3 receiver is benched due to fumbling and your #1 runner is recovering from dehydration. You're just trying to run the best plays for the defense against you.

Silverstein is a football MORON. Isn't there a fire or a 'dog bites man' story he can cover?

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Silverstein is one of the biggest dummies at the JS. His Column about Collins was poorly written and argued against itself, and his understanding of football is way below average for a sports reporter. He doesn't even have any discernible style.

I can't really say how much he knows about football.

But I agree he is a boring, bland writer. He should be covering softball for the Beaver Dam Gazette or something. Apologies to Beaver Dam.

I miss Cliffy. :cry: