PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Take

MJZiggy
10-12-2007, 12:08 PM
http://wtop.com/?nid=119&sid=1265891

By JOSEPH WHITE
AP Sports Writer

ASHBURN, Va. - When Joe Gibbs made the surprising decision to give his players the week off during the bye, he also made a prediction.

"I'm sure there ain't going to be anybody who reminds me of it if we play well against Detroit," he said.

Reporters rarely shirk from such an easy dare. Sure enough, when Gibbs opened the floor for questions this week at his regular news conference, he was promptly reminded that, yes, he gave the team a long break during the bye, and indeed they did play well in a 34-3 win over the Lions.

"I appreciate that," Gibbs responded before letting out a laugh. "As a coach, when you lose ball games, the first thing that runs through your mind, to be honest with you, is all the things I'm going to have to answer. For everything you did do, you are hanging on going, 'I hope this works out all right.' In that case, I appreciate our players responding and doing a good job."

"The bad news," the coach added later, "is we've got to go to Lambeau Field now."

The truth is, even many of the pessimists predicted the Redskins would be exactly where they are right now - 3-1 - because of a soft early schedule. They did upset the form chart by upsetting Philadelphia on the road in Week 2, but then they quickly compensated by losing at home the following week to the New York Giants.

Now comes the brutal stretch. Five of the next seven are on the road, starting with Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers. There also are upcoming trips to New England and Dallas, both currently undefeated. The Redskins should know whether they're for real come Thanksgiving.

There's more, blah, blah, blah, but I like the part about the tough part being at Lambeau...

Him8123
10-12-2007, 03:13 PM
I`ve heard every sports analyst predict the skinz to win this one.

PlantPage55
10-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Well, 5 out of the 9 on ESPN.com - pick the Packers....

mraynrand
10-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Well, 5 out of the 9 on ESPN.com - pick the Packers....

Schlereth and Jaworski do the best, but that guy Accuscore is pretty good at predicting games too. Not as good as Fosco (who predicts the Redskins will beat the Packers) - but pretty close. Like I always say, I'm looking forward to a time in the near future when computer programs will precisely predict the outcome and I won't even have to watch. I can do something more fun, like folding laundry.

HarveyWallbangers
10-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Redskins week: Friday practice report
By Greg A. Bedard, JSO

Green Bay - Here is what went on Friday, including another possible change on the offensive line:

* Right guard Junius Coston, after being limited with an ankle injury on Thursday, did not practice and is listed as questionable. The backup at right guard, Jason Spitz, is already starting at center for injured Scott Wells (eye). That leaves Tony Moll, who was inactive for the first three games and has yet to play this season, as the possible starter at right guard against the Redskins;

* Here's Mike McCarthy on Coston: "Juice turned his ankle, has an ankle sprain, in our goal-line work yesterday at the end of practice. I thought he may be able to go today. They feel the extra day of treatment would help him. We may work him out as early as tomorrow, or prior to the game. He'll be a gameday decision."

* McCarthy on the line situation: "That's a challenge, it's a challenge a number of teams go through week in and week out, and we don't view it any differently. Jason Spitz has played a lot of football for us in a short time, I know it hasn't been at center. And no different than Tony Moll. Tony Moll was a starter at this time last year. So we expect them to go in and play at a high level. We're not going to change anything we're doing as far as our approach to the game. It's a product of how you rep your linemen during the course of training camp and so forth. When you're the sixth, seventh, eighth lineman on the football team, you have to play multiple positions, and it prepares you for these situations."

* On backup center: "Juice is the backup center, and we worked a couple guys today. Daryn Colledge has some limited experience there. Mark Tauscher has been an emergency center for us in the past, so those two guys worked a little bit today."

* Chad Clifton, Bubba Franks, Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Greg Jennings and Vernand Morency all practiced fully after missing some practice time this week. All are probable for the game.

4and12to12and4
10-12-2007, 05:33 PM
This is gonna be a tough hard hitting game. I hope we come out of it with no injuries. They have an extremely good defense. I think our defense matches up very well with their offense, and we should be able to get to Campbell often, at least pressure him, and he will throw picks. That's how we can win this game. Our defenses are close but our offense is better. We should win a close game if we don't turn the ball over.

Jimx29
10-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Well, 5 out of the 9 on ESPN.com - pick the Packers....So then he stands correct, right?