PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Let's ban tipping in Wisconsin
By Bill Bollom
Wisconsin should pass a law making it the only non-tipping state in the nation.

This past March, my wife and I were visiting Singapore, where we lived 25 years earlier. Our taxi driver was having a devil of a time getting to our hotel because of road construction. He turned off his meter. When we finally arrived, I tipped him a couple of dollars. He told me, "No, tipping is illegal in Singapore." He pointed to the sign on the dash, "PLEASE, NO TIPPING."

He asked me, "What do you do in your country?"

"I'm retired. I'm a CPA and a retired university professor."

"Did your clients and students tip you? Do you tip your doctor? The meter tells you what the trip was worth. I always do my best work. No tip is necessary to encourage me to do a better job. I'm a professional. I'm as proud of what I do as you are sir."

My wife and I really liked the no-tipping law in Singapore. And the taxi driver was right. Tipping assumes that the receiver wouldn't do his best unless he is paid extra. It smacks of a superior-subordinate relationship, and it passes on to the customer the obligation of the employer.

Also, the practice is demeaning. On some of our U.S. travel tours, guides, historians and bus drivers stand at the bottom of the bus steps, hands outstretched like a common beggar.

Finally, I'll bet everyone reading this has at one time or another been in a conundrum about tipping, like when the bellhop wrestles your bag from you, wheels it 10 feet to the front desk and wants a tip. I know it upsets my evening.

We are in a system where the employer pays a low wage and assumes tips will bring employee income up to a reasonable level.

But wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone was paid what they were worth and there was no tipping? Prices may rise, but tightwads -- referred to as "free riders" in economic literature -- would finally pay a fair share, no longer getting off the hook.

I find it difficult to understand how the custom of tipping keeps growing. Now, even coffee shops feature a tip jar. It wouldn't surprise me to see one by the gas station cash register, but it would rile me.

Years ago, when my wife and I traveled in India, tipping was a nightmare. At every turn, someone had his hand out for a tip. Just when you thought someone was simply lending a helping hand, like offering up an empty airport trolly cart, his hand immediately went out for a tip.

Our airline check-in agent demanded a tip before he'd give us our boarding passes. There was much shouting. My wife would not leave the check-in counter.

The temperature was 100 degrees with about equal humidity. There was a line of about 350 people behind us. She wouldn't budge. She'd had enough of India and wasn't tipping to get her boarding pass.

It was eventually given to us without a tip. My wife simply hollered the guy into submission. Events like this can ruin a guy's day.

Tipping can get ugly. Argentines outlaw it. Aussies find it foolish. Our own airlines prohibit it. If the latter survives without it, can't we eliminate it entirely?

Let's make Wisconsin the only no-tipping state in the United States.

It would be a great state promotion: "Escape to Wisconsin -- Where tipping is illegal but service isn't."

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I hate the custom of tipping. It really amounts to a tax on kindness.

MJZiggy
10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
It's an interesting concept, but I'd rather see a law on the Wisconsin books that allows family members of senior citizens with drivers licenses to be able to request a road test for their loved ones before someone gets killed.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2007, 10:28 PM
oh, I don't think a tipping law is a good idea, i just hating tipping.

As far as old people driving, maybe they should have a yearly road race for senior citizens, and the survivors are relicensed for another year. A little harsh, but so is nature.

MJZiggy
10-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Joke all you want, it's your neighborhood, not mine. :mrgreen:

LL2
10-13-2007, 09:19 AM
A no tipping law isn't a bad idea but then all those in the food industry from waiters/ waitresses to pizza drivers will need their hourly wages adjusted and business owners will fight that. I worked as a waiter, busser, and pizza driver for years and depended on tips. Without tips i would've made $50 a week. If you eliminate tips those in the food industry will only make minimum wage, but with tips they can make $10-15 and hour or more. Plus if you eliminate tips and increase their hourly wage your chicken sandwich and blooming onion at Chili's will cost you 50% more. I don't always like to tip either, but I know what it's like to depend on them so if I get a good service I will tip good.

GBRulz
10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
My favorites are places with restroom attendants who hand you a paper towel after you wash your hands and have a tip jar sitting there.

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 09:38 AM
My favorites are places with restroom attendants who hand you a paper towel after you wash your hands and have a tip jar sitting there.

I wonder what that person complains about after a "bad day at the office..."

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2007, 09:54 AM

I wonder what that person complains about after a "bad day at the office..."

All the toe tapping and requests for extra towels?

Bretsky
10-13-2007, 11:39 AM
how would strippers get paid ?

retailguy
10-13-2007, 12:03 PM
how would strippers get paid ?

At the door as you walk in. They'll have a 20 drink minimum.

digitaldean
10-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Used to waiter and bartend. Without tipping, the crap you have to put up with for the base pay one would get isn't worth it.

I don't expect everybody to tip. If they do or they don't I thanked them for coming in and serve them with a smile.

If it gets real busy behind the bar, however, those that tip do get served quicker. Also, always tried to have a regular customer's drink sitting on the bar waiting for them once I saw them coming in the door.

The idea of having your hand out (literally) expecting a tip is sheer idiocy.

Today, I tip well on the road if the service warrants it. If it wasn't I tip less, if it sucks I don't tip them at all.

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Today, I tip well on the road if the service warrants it. If it wasn't I tip less, if it sucks I don't tip them at all.

That's as it should be...

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Used to waiter and bartend. Without tipping, the crap you have to put up with for the base pay one would get isn't worth it.

Ya, but if there was no tipping, wages would go up to attract workers, and prices would rise to compensate.

I'm assuming it would be a wash, in terms of costs/income, although can't know for sure.

I find tipping unpleasant. I always tip the same amount, regardless of the service, because I don't want to judge why the service was poor, and potentially punish the wrong person.

OK, here's what I want to know: what do people out there tip? I always tip at least 15%, and most often 20%. I used to leave 15% consistently, but lately I learned they expect a little more. (It seems like a long time ago 10% was standard, it keeps creeping up.)

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2007, 01:00 PM

That's as it should be...

How do you know the service isn't bad because they are understaffed? You can't really tell. Why punish the waitstaff?

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 01:14 PM
When I look around and see one server waiting on the whole restaurant, I make allowances for it and tip extra. If the server comes to my table and apologizes for the delay because the cook just quit, I don't hold that against them either, but if I'm waiting for my food forever and it comes out cold and with an attitude, that's not on the chef.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2007, 01:16 PM
When I look around and see one server waiting on the whole restaurant, I make allowances for it and tip extra. If the server comes to my table and apologizes for the delay because the cook just quit, I don't hold that against them either, but if I'm waiting for my food forever and it comes out cold and with an attitude, that's not on the chef.

I'll bet if everything is perfect they get a shiny quarter.

you're gonna make a great old lady someday. :lol:

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Actually my math sucks so I tend to overtip.

GBRulz
10-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Do you guys tip for housekeeping service while at a hotel? Years ago, it was unheard of, maybe because people put all their extra change in those vibrating beds....

LL2
10-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Do you guys tip for housekeeping service while at a hotel? Years ago, it was unheard of, maybe because people put all their extra change in those vibrating beds....

Depends. If staying at the place for a week or staying at a timeshare resort then yes, then the housekeeping service people tend to go the extra mile.

One thing I do not like is my wife tipping at the salon. When a haircut and coloring cost 130 bucks that's plenty for the hair stylist!

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2007, 05:58 PM
One thing I do not like is my wife tipping at the salon. When a haircut and coloring cost 130 bucks that's plenty for the hair stylist!

The problem is, once a tradition is established, the tip is assumed, and the workers are paid accordingly.

GBRulz
10-13-2007, 08:39 PM

A stylist spends 2-3 hours on her hair and she shouldn't be tipped for that? Do you honestly think the stylist gets the whole $130? She has to pay for her products and probably her chair, if she gets 25% of that she's lucky. But men don't understand these things ! At least the straight ones :lol:

GrnBay007
10-13-2007, 09:35 PM
[ But men don't understand these things ! At least the straight ones :lol:

Because they can still get a $15 haircut at a barber shop.

Joemailman
10-13-2007, 09:52 PM
$15?! :shock: Who the hell pays that much for a haircut? :crazy:

GrnBay007
10-13-2007, 10:07 PM

LOL actually I was going to say $8. I remember how upset my Dad was when his barber went from $7 to $9.

Bretsky
10-13-2007, 10:36 PM
[ But men don't understand these things ! At least the straight ones :lol:

Because they can still get a $15 haircut at a barber shop.

$15 ??? Are you kidding me ??? Who wants to piss away that kind of money when Sam's Wholesale sells a hair cutting kit for $30 that a good wife can use for years ?

We're naturally ugly; why pay $15 to make us look a little less ugly.

GBRulz
10-14-2007, 09:53 AM

LOL actually I was going to say $8. I remember how upset my Dad was when his barber went from $7 to $9.

A haircut for $8, women could only wish. Ok, nevermind... I don't think we would wish having an $8 haircut, lol.

Joemailman
10-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm guessing Brett paid less than 8 for the haircut he's sporting on your avatar.

Bretsky
10-14-2007, 10:06 AM

A haircut for $8, women could only wish. Ok, nevermind... I don't think we would wish having an $8 haircut, lol.

I'll cut your hair for $8; I'm cheap

GBRulz
10-14-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm guessing Brett paid less than 8 for the haircut he's sporting on your avatar.

Yes, Deanna cuts his hair !!

and B, thanks for the offer, but I am not going for the Britney/Sinead O' Connor look at this time :wink:

Patler
10-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Plus if you eliminate tips and increase their hourly wage your chicken sandwich and blooming onion at Chili's will cost you 50% more. I don't always like to tip either, but I know what it's like to depend on them so if I get a good service I will tip good.

No, it wouldn't have to go up 50%. I doubt that their tips come close to that, and you would only have to raise costs enough to make up for the lost tips. Chances are about 15% would do it nicely, if you assume most people tip around that much, some more than that and some either don't tip intentionally or just forget to.

Patler
10-14-2007, 11:12 AM

A stylist spends 2-3 hours on her hair and she shouldn't be tipped for that? Do you honestly think the stylist gets the whole $130? She has to pay for her products and probably her chair, if she gets 25% of that she's lucky. But men don't understand these things ! At least the straight ones :lol:

Years and years ago, when I was a kid, the "rule" at beauty salons and barbershops was that you did not tip the owner, but you did tip others in the shop who rented a chair from the owner. I tip my barber/owner now, have for as long as I can remember. What do the packerrats women do?

MJZiggy
10-14-2007, 11:15 AM
One of my best friends takes care of my hair and I pay her cash (or babysit her kids) so there's really no tipping involved there. She's also one of the best stylists I've ever had so it works out all around.

Little Whiskey
10-14-2007, 11:32 PM
you bring up a good question, that i am never sure of.

what if they are your friend or relative, tip then? how much?

MJZiggy
10-15-2007, 07:38 AM
She's asked if I want her to do my hair at the salon and I tell her no because then not only would she have to share what I pay her (or in some cases give it all to the salon owner) but then I'd have to deal with that very issue. I hate the idea of getting into a situation where I feel like I'm in an employer relationship with my friends. I'd rather have my hair washed in her kitchen sink and have her massive dog with his nose in my face the whole while. He loves me.

Harlan Huckleby
10-15-2007, 09:36 AM
When I was a little kid my dad made me tip him after he gave me a buzz cut. He was tough, but it made me what I am today.

Partial
10-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree that tipping is really stupid.

I was darn close to not leaving a tip and complaining a few weeks back when I was in Florida. We went to a restaurant and our waitress failed to inform us that they were out of every ingriedient listed on our bistro burgers except for mayo. Yum. What a pain in the ass. Then, she didn't try to remedy the situation at all after I brought this to her attention. The burgers were very dry, too. I was pretty ticked off, but I do not like complaining in restaurants or making a scene because who knows who is sitting behind you that may think less of you? Normally I tip 20% but I dropped down to 15% for this bill. We decided to never go there again.

It's not worth the 5-10 dollars to potentially screw up your career, a friendship, etc.

hoosier
10-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I was pretty ticked off, but I do not like complaining in restaurants or making a scene because who knows who is sitting behind you that may think less of you? Normally I tip 20% but I dropped down to 15% for this bill. We decided to never go there again.

It's not worth the 5-10 dollars to potentially screw up your career, a friendship, etc.

Good thinking. But the real reason not to complain is that then they spit in your food.

Deputy Nutz
10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
A tip is for someone that does something good. A waitress does a good job, hell even an average job, refills your drink when needed, takes your order correctly, informs you of the specials, and any other information, brings your food in a timely fashion, makes sure you have napkins silverware, makes sure your table is clean, food is served hot, and then checks back to make sure everything is good. Now if I have a messy table, or my silverware is missing, I won't knock the tip, but come on if she just cruises through the meal and doesn't do her job she doesn't get a tip, and that is the way it should be.

I was at a resturant the other day and I just had water with my meal, my water glass never got refilled, the food got basically thrown in front of us, it was good food, it was hot, but then she just sat at the counter text messaging for the rest of my meal. Piss on her I didn't want to leave a tip, but my father in law thought the food was so good that we better leave something. I scoffed and bitched, but left .50 cents on a 6.00 meal.

Hear is a message, a tip shouldn't be expected, it is a sign from the customer that the service met his expectations with in reason.

Freak Out
10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
A tip is for someone that does something good. A waitress does a good job, hell even an average job, refills your drink when needed, takes your order correctly, informs you of the specials, and any other information, brings your food in a timely fashion, makes sure you have napkins silverware, makes sure your table is clean, food is served hot, and then checks back to make sure everything is good. Now if I have a messy table, or my silverware is missing, I won't knock the tip, but come on if she just cruises through the meal and doesn't do her job she doesn't get a tip, and that is the way it should be.

I was at a resturant the other day and I just had water with my meal, my water glass never got refilled, the food got basically thrown in front of us, it was good food, it was hot, but then she just sat at the counter text messaging for the rest of my meal. Piss on her I didn't want to leave a tip, but my father in law thought the food was so good that we better leave something. I scoffed and bitched, but left .50 cents on a 6.00 meal.

Hear is a message, a tip shouldn't be expected, it is a sign from the customer that the service met his expectations with in reason.

I would not have left here a red cent. I'm not asking to have my dick sucked just good courteous service. If you do your job I tip very well...in cash. If you don't I let you know by how I tip. Sometimes verbally before leaving the establishment.