View Full Version : JS-"GM not Taking the Trade Route"

Bretsky
10-13-2007, 02:15 AM
GM not taking the trade route
Thompson says he has no plans to swap for starting running back
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 12, 2007

Green Bay - When the Green Bay Packers move close to a championship, general manager Ted Thompson has said more than once that he would break from his conservative mode to acquire a player or two who could put the team over the top.

That time, in the mind of the team's general manager, is not now.

With the National Football League trading deadline coming at 3 p.m. Tuesday and his team bereft of a starting-caliber let alone standout running back, Thompson doesn't see a trade for a legitimate ball carrier on the horizon.

"I would say it's unlikely," Thompson said Friday. "We're not opposed to making moves but it takes two to tango in this league."

The Packers own the second-best record in the National Football Conference at 4-1 despite a rushing attack that ranks 31st in the league with a yield of 67.6 yards per game.

Coach Mike McCarthy's running back-by-committee approach has been the biggest blot during the Packers' drive to a two-game lead over defending champion Chicago in the NFC North.

A year ago, the Indianapolis Colts were 5-0 at the trading deadline and looking to fill the void in their run defense. On Oct. 17, they traded a second-round draft choice to Tampa Bay for nose tackle Anthony McFarland, who down the stretch became a vital cog in their Super Bowl season.

"There are rarely trades at the trading deadline," Thompson said.

For the first time, all four of the Packers' running backs are healthy. How to deploy them is the question.

Against Washington on Sunday, McCarthy indicated that rookie DeShawn Wynn would start, Vernand Morency would play on third downs, Ryan Grant would play special teams and possibly from scrimmage and rookie Brandon Jackson probably would be inactive.

Wynn, a seventh-round draft choice, leads the team in rushing with 165 yards.

"My level of satisfaction?" McCarthy said, repeating a question. "I think those guys have been solid, because frankly they've done what they've been asked to do. We really kind of hit our groove last week in the first half and will continue to get better."

But the second half against the Bears was another disaster on the ground, including a poorly blocked third-and-1 carry for minus-3 by Wynn. The Packers are 2 for 9 on third and 1, last in the NFL.

It isn't known whether the Packers have tried to make a run at Michael Turner, the 237-pound backup to LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego. If the Packers did try, their offer didn't knock the socks off Chargers general manager A.J. Smith.

On Friday, Smith reiterated that nothing has occurred to change his April 30 statement in which he said Turner would not be traded.

"He is not available," Smith said. "For some reason, some people either don't believe it or it means nothing to them. Or, I can't argue with this part, just because he said it he could change his hand. But I'm only concerned about this particular year for our team, and I like our players."

Only four teams in the league have more room beneath the salary cap than Green Bay, which has $11.86 million. Thus, money would not be an impediment to an 11th-hour trade.

The New York Giants and Oakland Raiders, have a surplus at running back but their players don't appear to interest Green Bay.

In New York, Derrick Ward ranks seventh in NFL rushing (409 yards, 4.8 average) in a backfield that also includes Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns. In Oakland, LaMont Jordan is backed by capable veterans Dominic Rhodes and Justin Fargas.

"We like our group," Thompson said, referring to his backs. "Each of them brings a little something different. I think we're still working to develop their roles. The ground game is not necessarily just the running back. We're getting better."

Grant and Morency fumbled in Minnesota, Wynn became dehydrated and had to sit out almost a half against Chicago and Jackson already has missed two games because of injury.

The Packers have a surplus at defensive tackle, where rookie Justin Harrell's adequate debut against the Bears creates a logjam. Obviously, they want to see more of their first-round draft choice but that probably would take Colin Cole out of uniform.

One of their top five tackles, Corey Williams, is headed for unrestricted free agency in March.

"We could trade a defensive tackle if we wanted to do it, sure," Thompson said. "It would weaken you. It kind of depends what you get in return. But we're not contemplating doing anything there. It's a long season."

Smith, whose team is 2-3, can understand where Thompson is coming from.

"He's like a lot of us," Smith said. "He's zeroed in on the season. You're under way. You're winning. The chemistry. The players. You have injury protection. They know your system."

It's called standing pat. And it's what the Packers clearly intend to do.

Tarlam!
10-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Surely, Bretsky, you, of all people, cannot be surprised... :D

superfan
10-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Definitely not surprising.

At least the Bear game gave some hope that these RBs, with much improved run blocking, could generate a running attack that is at least serviceable.

It took a 6th to get Ryan Grant from the Giants. The price would be pretty steep to get a player who is substantially better.

Still would love to see Michael Turner in Green and Gold.

Charles Woodson
10-13-2007, 11:42 AM
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - When the Green Bay Packers move close to a championship, general manager Ted Thompson has said more than once that he would break from his conservative mode to acquire a player or two who could put the team over the top.

With the National Football League trading deadline coming at 3 p.m. Tuesday and his team bereft of a starting-caliber let alone standout running back, Thompson doesn't see a trade for a legitimate ball carrier on the horizon.

"I would say it's unlikely," Thompson said Friday. "We're not opposed to making moves but it takes two to tango in this league."

The Packers own the second-best record in the National Football Conference at 4-1 despite a rushing attack that ranks 31st in the league with a yield of 67.6 yards per game.

Coach Mike McCarthy's running back-by-committee approach has been the biggest blot during the Packers' drive to a two-game lead over defending champion Chicago in the NFC North.

A year ago, the Indianapolis Colts were 5-0 at the trading deadline and looking to fill the void in their run defense. On Oct. 17, they traded a second-round draft choice to Tampa Bay for nose tackle Anthony McFarland, who down the stretch became a vital cog in their Super Bowl season.

For the first time, all four of the Packers' running backs are healthy. How to deploy them is the question.

Against Washington on Sunday, McCarthy indicated that rookie DeShawn Wynn would start, Vernand Morency would play on third downs, Ryan Grant would play special teams and possibly from scrimmage and rookie Brandon Jackson probably would be inactive.

"My level of satisfaction?" McCarthy said, repeating a question. "I think those guys have been solid, because frankly they've done what they've been asked to do. We really kind of hit our groove last week in the first half and will continue to get better."

But the second half against the Bears was another disaster on the ground, including a poorly blocked third-and-1 carry for minus-3 by Wynn. The Packers are 2 for 9 on third and 1, last in the NFL.

It isn't known whether the Packers have tried to make a run at Michael Turner, the 237-pound backup to LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego. If the Packers did try, their offer didn't knock the socks off Chargers general manager A.J. Smith.

On Friday, Smith reiterated that nothing has occurred to change his April 30 statement in which he said Turner would not be traded.

"He is not available," Smith said. "For some reason, some people either don't believe it or it means nothing to them. Or, I can't argue with this part, just because he said it he could change his hand. But I'm only concerned about this particular year for our team, and I like our players."

Only four teams in the league have more room beneath the salary cap than Green Bay, which has $11.86 million. Thus, money would not be an impediment to an 11th-hour trade.

The New York Giants and Oakland Raiders, have a surplus at running back but their players don't appear to interest Green Bay.

In New York, Derrick Ward ranks seventh in NFL rushing (409 yards, 4.8 average) in a backfield that also includes Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns. In Oakland, LaMont Jordan is backed by capable veterans Dominic Rhodes and Justin Fargas.

"We like our group," Thompson said, referring to his backs. "Each of them brings a little something different. I think we're still working to develop their roles. The ground game is not necessarily just the running back. We're getting better."

Grant and Morency fumbled in Minnesota, Wynn became dehydrated and had to sit out almost a half against Chicago and Jackson already has missed two games because of injury.

The Packers have a surplus at defensive tackle, where rookie Justin Harrell's adequate debut against the Bears creates a logjam. Obviously, they want to see more of their first-round draft choice but that probably would take Colin Cole out of uniform.

One of their top five tackles, Corey Williams, is headed for unrestricted free agency in March.

"We could trade a defensive tackle if we wanted to do it, sure," Thompson said. "It would weaken you. It kind of depends what you get in return. But we're not contemplating doing anything there. It's a long season."

"He's like a lot of us," Smith said. "He's zeroed in on the season. You're under way. You're winning. The chemistry. The players. You have injury protection. They know your system."

B why did you take your sign down? he didnt sign 2 legit players yet :P :twisted:

Bretsky
10-13-2007, 12:58 PM
By BOB McGINN

B why did you take your sign down? he didnt sign 2 legit players yet :P :twisted:

1. FRANK WALKER
2. SHAWN BODDIFORD

LL2
10-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Why would anybody be surprised that TT has no interest in making a trade. I do like the idea Wynn is starting again and Morency is the 3rd down back. Yes they stalled in the second have last week, but they also put up over 120 yards. If they can start doing that consistently I'll be happy.