PDA

View Full Version : Woodson, Harris, Collins fined $5k

GBRulz
10-13-2007, 09:13 AM
http://www.michaelclemens.com/content/view/124/9/

http://www.michaelclemens.com/images/stories/woodson%20yellow%20shoes.jpg

Did these yellow and black shoes cost Charles Woodson a $5,000 NFL fine? A source today told WSSP-AM that at least one player in the Packers secondary was fined that amount following Sunday night's loss to the Bears.

The Packers official playing shoe is white with a green stripe. The word is some of the players in the Packers secondary, including Woodson, decided to wear the black and yellow tipped shoes instead, a violation of league policy regarding uniform rules.

Nick Collins declined comment (with a smile) on this story, although there appeared to be a letter from the league in his locker Wednesday. Al Harris was reading a notice on NFL letterhead shaking his head.

- Update: Today's Wisconsin State Journal reports Charles Woodson, Al Harris, and Nick Collins were all fined $5,000 for violating the league rules regarding their game shoes.

Tarlam!
10-13-2007, 09:23 AM
- Update: Today's Wisconsin State Journal reports Charles Woodson, Al Harris, and Nick Collins were all fined $5,000 for violating the league rules regarding their game shoes.

Thanks Michele.

Doesn't the NFL have bigger "fish to fry"?

Patler
10-13-2007, 09:32 AM

Thanks Michele.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't also fry the small fish. The NFL has done a very good job maintaining the appearance of the game, with standard uniforms being all that is allowed. Part of it is due to sponsorship contracts with manufacturers. Some is just for appearance. It seems like a small thing, but the NBA has had to start a dress code for players on the bench, because some who weren't suiting up because of injuries, etc. began showing up looking like gang members. If NFL players had free reign, I'm sure some things could get out of hand too.

I was expecting this announcement. I commented during the game that the gold tipped shoes would result in fines. Unauthorized bands, improper socks, etc. have been fined before.

GBRulz
10-13-2007, 09:36 AM

So, are you saying they should only go after the lobster sized violations? :rs:

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 09:40 AM

As long as it's not fresh water... :wink:

mraynrand
10-13-2007, 10:13 AM
The NFL maintains standards, and that's OK. It doesn't mean it isn't funny when you see in the paper that a guy was fined 5K because he socks slipped down around his ankles. I'm reminded of "Sit up straight! Hold your fork properly! Chew with your mouth closed!!"

http://www.theparamount.net/_images/shows/2006/Mama_medium.jpg

Jimx29
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
wtf were they thinking? :roll:

Patler
10-13-2007, 03:25 PM
wtf were they thinking? :roll:

Heck, a $5000 fine to some of these guys is worth it just for the fun of having done it.

Any tax experts out there? If this is a fine from the "employer", withheld from their paycheck, is it pre-tax? Is there any way of making it out to be a deductible business expense?

Are business fines levied by city licensing agencies tax deductible? Is this any different?

KYPack
10-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I was gonna comment after the game that those guys shoes were way cool.

The NFL "fashion police" have been working the games for years.

They were started to make sure the guys were consistent and dressed correctly for the games.

Now it has evolved into making sure all the marketing deals with all the manufacturers are intact.

It's bullshit, but it ain't goin' away.

gbgary
10-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Thanks Michele.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't also fry the small fish.

right! there are a lot of fry-cooks in the NFL.

CaliforniaCheez
10-13-2007, 04:52 PM
The Charger's hit on Driver was $7500.

This fine two-thirds the size will discourage these guys from becoming repeat offenders.

Remember when Peyton Manning wanted a one time exemption in order to pay tribute to Jonny Unitas? (For you youngsters Johnny wore black high tops that went up over the ankles)

I understand there are many jerks like Clinton Portis and Chad Johnson who would abuse any leeway given and whine if anyone else got some. But there should be some special circumstances for a deviation from the policy.

There was no reason for this Sunday Night and the Packer training department I'm sure warned these guys. They did it for a nationally televised game without reason.

The fine should start lower and move up to suspensions for repeat offenders with offensive attire.

BF4MVP
10-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Those shoes are ugly anyways..I like the regular shoes they wear a lot better.

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 05:22 PM
I want a pair. I wonder if Al wouild send me his...

gbpackfan
10-13-2007, 06:06 PM
They wore the shoes in celebration of Woodson's birthday. It may not be a good reason, but it is a reason. They were all told at half-time to change or they would be fined. The guys who could afford to keep the shoes on did, those who couldn't, didn't. In the end, who cares. The NFL did it's job and I have no problem with it. The "situation" was handled appropriately.

Expensive footwear

To celebrate cornerback Charles Woodson's 31st birthday Sunday night, several members of the secondary — including Woodson, Al Harris, Nick Collins, Atari Bigby and Frank Walker — wore lightning yellow cleats, which are a violation of the NFL's uniform policy.

So on Wednesday, Woodson, Harris and Collins had FedEx envelopes in their lockers, each with a letter from the NFL informing them they'd been fined $5,000.

Walker avoided the penalty because he changed his shoes at halftime after receiving a warning.

"Al and 'Wood' kept theirs on (because) they can afford it," said Walker, who received the shoes from Nike last Thursday. "I can't."

Indeed, Harris said he and Woodson "were expecting (the fine) to be $15,000."

Meanwhile, cornerback Jarrett Bush said he's appealing the $5,000 fine levied against him for a horse-collar tackle against Minnesota on Sept. 30. Bush wasn't flagged on the play; in fact, referee Ed Hochuli announced that the tackle wasn't a horse-collar after the play ended.

Joemailman
10-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Sure, for $5000.

Tarlam!
10-13-2007, 07:30 PM

Oh YOU! You know me so well!

Tarlam!
10-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Oh man, I am so exposed....

Rastak
10-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Oh man, I am so exposed....

You guys got the "fresh water" speech too...or I should say the wait staff!

LOL.......Tar Tar Tar.....

GBRulz
10-13-2007, 08:33 PM
oh yes, Ras!! I had to find a place where we could get a traditional WI fish fry, but that they also served OCEAN fish, too !!

oregonpackfan
10-13-2007, 08:39 PM

MJ,

I doubt if his big shoes would fit your "Cinderella" sized feet. :)

MJZiggy
10-13-2007, 08:49 PM
They would go straight onto the shelf in my office!! (and if they did ever make it onto my feet, they'd go well with my Oregon socks)

MadScientist
10-14-2007, 09:02 PM
They got of easy. Those things were ugly enough for a 10K fine. It looked like they kicked a couple of ducks before the game and the shoes got stuck up the ducks asses. The only uglier apparel in the NFL this year was Philly's retro uniforms (proving the NFL's fashion police are can see contracts, but are totally color blind).