PDA

View Full Version : Painful High School Game

oregonpackfan
10-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Last night, I attended my local high school game. Our town of 16,000 has a strong football program well supported by the community. We played another 5A team(the second largest of the 6 classifications) from Portland called Parkrose.

It was probably the most lopsided high school game I have ever seen as Sherwood beat Parkrose 80-14.

While Sherwood had 45 players suit up, only 18 players made the 15 mile trip from Parkrose.

While Sherwood had several thousand fans in the stands, I estimated just 25-30 fans from Parkrose.

Sherwood scored touchdowns on its first two plays from scrimmage.

Our coach cannot be accused of "Running Up the Score." He began substituting in the middle of the second quarter. No Sherwood starter played in the second half.

I felt bad for the opposing team, because our 3rd and 4th stringers were outplaying their starters. In a "Mercy Move," the officials had a running clock for the 4th quarter.

To their credit, the other team did not quit. They were just horribly overmatched.

superfan
10-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Wow. They should have recruited some of their own fans to suit up. Not that there were many options available there either.

So is HS football just not that popular in Oregon?

oregonpackfan
10-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Wow. They should have recruited some of their own fans to suit up. Not that there were many options available there either.

So is HS football just not that popular in Oregon?

I think HS football is indeed popular in Oregon. This particular Portland school apparently has a pitiful football program as well as minimal fan support.

b bulldog
10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Good highschool ball is hard to beat. The playoffs will be starting soon here in WI and I'm looking forward to seeing some games.