PDA

View Full Version : Post game chat with Cleft Crusty (Redskins)

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi Packer Fans,

Well, 'Ole Clefty made it to the game. The JS traded in the 1982 Yugo for a 1984 Dodge Reliant and I managed to make my way up to Lambeau with just four stops to add fluid to the radiator. Unfortunately, the JS can no longer afford to have me in the press box, so instead of sitting next to the venerable Bob McGinn, I sat next to the FOX cameraman up on the roof. Since I didn't bring my raincoact, I had only a single 1 gallon Ziplock Freezer bag between me and the elements. Yet, I got a good view of the game and am ready to answer your questions. I may also have a head cold.

BallHawk
10-14-2007, 03:45 PM
How 'bout 'dem refs?

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 03:47 PM
How 'bout 'dem refs?

The refs may have been more confused than the Packers offense. But typically, I notice fans tend to look towards refs in close games and/or when their team is playing poorly. Certainly though, there were a lot of questionable calls. It's the nature of the game. From my vantage point, I barely noticed the refs.

gbgary
10-14-2007, 03:48 PM
why was mr. cooley such a pain in the ass today?

GBRulz
10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
What happened to Crosby today? Was it the holders fault? :wink:

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 03:53 PM
why was mr. cooley such a pain in the ass today?

That's a great question. I think you have to congratulate the Redskin's coaching staf. First, they managed decent protection using a really beat up offensive line. Next, they ran Woodson and Harris deep to draw them away from the action. Third, they used multiple shifts and formations to get the matchups they wanted. Fourth, they used great misdirection. Look at their second touchdown. The Entire Packer defense thought the play was going to the right, yet the Redskins were able to get Cooley and Portis open, by themselves on the left. Only Hawk responded, and responded late, being only able to cover portis. Bigby was vewry late in recognition. Good game planning and coaching by the Redskins. That's an accomplished veteran coaching staff there.

Joemailman
10-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Will MM give the players the week off?

Cleft Crusty

I suspect it was the rain. I could barely hang onto my perch on the roof it was so slick. Plus, Crosby is a rookie. He's going to miss a few.

Deputy Nutz
Cleft you were a bit grumpy last week, I believe the loss to the Bears even affected you, even though you claim to be a non-believer.

Are you in a better mood? How about that play calling today, pretty questionable in my opinion(tongue in cheek to act like the rest of the boo birds after a loss).

Did Favre injure his arm, he threw knobbly passes today.

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Will MM give the players the week off?

Maybe the defense, but not the offense. The offense has already taken the lst three halves off. It seems they need more time practicing, not less.

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Cleft you were a bit grumpy last week, I believe the loss to the Bears even affected you, even though you claim to be a non-believer.

Are you in a better mood? How about that play calling today, pretty questionable in my opinion(tongue in cheek to act like the rest of the boo birds after a loss).

Did Favre injure his arm, he threw knobbly passes today.

Nutz, I'm totally a disp[assionate reporter, and I don't care about the Bears, even though I grew up as a fan and have all the signatures of Bears greats. That couldn't possibly affect my reporting.

About the ply calling: What the hell do you know about it? Are you a Packer coach? were you in the team meetings? Did you help the team gme plan over the long offseason. Did you write the software that analyzes tendencies and defensive allignments. Once you know all these things, then maybe you can spout off like a know it all about the playcalling.

About Favre: diminished arm strength. Fafvre is getting old, and there will be days when there's nothing in the tank - or in the brain case either - as evidenced by multiple lofted throws into double coverage.

Deputy Nutz
10-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Cleft, I know you already answered my question, but I have another one

Who is better Gale Sayers or Walter Payton?

Rastak
10-14-2007, 04:11 PM

Did Longwell make his kick DESPITE the holder....

LOL.....

Rastak
10-14-2007, 04:11 PM

Ooo......I know that one......Black Magic wins by a longshot.....

BallHawk
10-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Cleft,

How good is Adrian Peterson?

If the Vikings had a competent QB would they be instant contenders?

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM

I'd have to say that even at his age, Gale sayers probably moves better at this point than Walter Payton.

Rastak
10-14-2007, 04:33 PM

I'd have to say that even at his age, Gale sayers probably moves better at this point than Walter Payton.

Cleft nails it from 50....

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Cleft,

If the Vikings had a decent QB, they might be unstoppable. Adrian Peterson is a special talent. Consider that the Bears were at home off a critical win, playing better and that they totally shut down Green Bay's run game last week. That's how bad the Packer's running backs are - they are just a bunch of guys. I can't think of a team that would give any snaps to Wynn, Morency or Jackson.

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Did Longwell make his kick DESPITE the holder....

LOL.....

Longwell has always been consistent and accurate, but a kick from that distance on grass makes you sit up and take notice. I guess the offseason program is working for him. The snapper and holder are essential, but it's not like removing brain tumours - I had that done several years back, and I'm glad it was a neurosurgeon and not Rob Davis performing the operation. But even so I still get headaches and the occasional black out.

cheesner
10-14-2007, 05:02 PM

I'd have to say that even at his age, Gale sayers probably moves better at this point than Walter Payton.At this point, if Sayers isn't in a coma, he is moving better than a dead guy.

Lurker64
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Cleft-

Due to the inherent subjectivity of its interpretation, I personally think the force out rule is a bad rule (even though it got Green Bay into the playoffs one year.) Is there any hope of getting rid of it, considering that the league offices generally only change rules to help the offense? Will we ever see a change out of the competition comittee that lets defensive backs touch the WRs more instead of less?

Brandon494
10-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Cleft,

If the Vikings had a decent QB, they might be unstoppable. Adrian Peterson is a special talent. Consider that the Bears were at home off a critical win, playing better and that they totally shut down Green Bay's run game last week. That's how bad the Packer's running backs are - they are just a bunch of guys. I can't think of a team that would give any snaps to Wynn, Morency or Jackson.

Or maybe its because the Vikings O-line is far superior to us in run blocking. I know Peterson is better than any RB on the Packers roster, but I don't think he would be as good behind our O-line as he is for the Vikings.

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Cleft-

Due to the inherent subjectivity of its interpretation, I personally think the force out rule is a bad rule (even though it got Green Bay into the playoffs one year.) Is there any hope of getting rid of it, considering that the league offices generally only change rules to help the offense? Will we ever see a change out of the competition comittee that lets defensive backs touch the WRs more instead of less?

No and No. The force out rule prevents d-back and linebackers from carrying a player out of bounds after a reception. The problem comes when an obvious carry or push becomes less obvious. This is true for most rules. For example, Clifton had a clear grab of a jersey on his holding penalty, but Tauscher didn't grab at all. In Minnesota a few weeks ago, Woodson roughed up the WR before Bigby's INT. One worked in GBs favor, and another didn't. Over the course of a season they will roughly even out and GB will end up with roughly the record they deserve.

The rules committee probably will change nothing in favor of the defense even if the NFL looks begins to look like the Arena league.

Cleft Crusty
10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Cleft,

Or maybe its because the Vikings O-line is far superior to us in run blocking. I know Peterson is better than any RB on the Packers roster, but I don't think he would be as good behind our O-line as he is for the Vikings.

That's a good point. Also, Peterson seems to be a good fit for their blocking scheme. Right now, the Packers have no identity in the run game with a bunch of guys as running backs, no real consistent blocking scheme, a collection of injuries, and tackles that have aged several years in one off season. It will be interesting to see how McCarthy addresses this in the bye week. In 2003, Sherman went into a bye week with an offense that was relying too much on Favre and came out with U71 and a revitalized running game. The Packers don't have young tackles, Wahle, or Green, but they need to do something to improve the offense. The team they have now can make the playoffs, but they won't get far with disarray in the run game.

Rastak
10-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Cleft, lots of Viking talk. Good to see that, and not have it be ridicule.

My question is about the defense. I didn't get a chance to see the game but it seemed the Redskins moved the ball well but the bottom line looks pretty good for the Packers. Was it a bend but not break type day for the defense?

BallHawk
10-14-2007, 09:54 PM

My question is about the defense. I didn't get a chance to see the game but it seemed the Redskins moved the ball well but the bottom line looks pretty good for the Packers. Was it a bend but not break type day for the defense?

I'm not Cleft, but at least to me, that was a game that the Redskins offense could of easily won. Portis gave up on a few of his runs and the 'Skins dropped several passes. Green Bay's secondary did get beat a few times, but lucky for us the Redskins could never capitalize.

On a related note, Jason Campbell is going to be a top 10 QB in a year or so. He's tough as hell and has a great arm. He needs some fine-tunning, but he's going to be really good.

Pacopete4
10-14-2007, 10:05 PM
where are all those bear playmakers today? ahaha

Rastak
10-14-2007, 10:06 PM

What is your question to Cleft?

Pacopete4
10-14-2007, 10:11 PM
isnt where are all the bear playmakers today? a question..... i think it might be

he was talking like the bears are something last week.. i just wanna know why the playmakers werent there today.. or in their other 4 loses this season

Rastak
10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
isnt where are all the bear playmakers today? a question..... i think it might be

he was talking like the bears are something last week.. i just wanna know why the playmakers werent there today.. or in their other 4 loses this season

I thought he was answering Packer questions. I'll answer your question though....ass kicking defense, that's what happened to Bears playmakers.

gbgary
10-14-2007, 10:21 PM
maybe its because the Vikings O-line is far superior to us in run blocking.

i don't think so. we ran pretty well last year with the same cast. it's the lack of a good running back. plus if the zone blocking scheme has been altered (no cutting) that's got to have a major impact. maybe that's why our rb's keep running into our linemen instead of the gaps that are supposed to be there.

Pacopete4
10-14-2007, 10:28 PM
ballhawk asked how good adrian peterson is.. last time i checked he wasnt a packer

Cleft Crusty
10-15-2007, 07:03 AM

Yes, the Packer D got a few breaks, but so did Washington. Washington's offense was well designed and game-planned to take advantage of Green Bay's defensive weaknesses, specifically the Linebackers in coverage and in decision-making in coverage of TEs and running backs in the flat. They also took a few shots at Bush. He got away with poor coverage at least twice.

Also, great athletic ability by Sean Taylor saved Washington two touchdowns.

Cleft Crusty
10-15-2007, 07:04 AM

I had a chance to watch the highlights. I would say that if you can't recognize Devin Hester as a playmaker, you don't know what the word means.

Cleft Crusty
10-15-2007, 07:05 AM
ballhawk asked how good adrian peterson is.. last time i checked he wasnt a packer

At least you can read a roster.

Cleft Crusty
10-15-2007, 07:08 AM
On a related note, Jason Campbell is going to be a top 10 QB in a year or so. He's tough as hell and has a great arm. He needs some fine-tunning, but he's going to be really good.

He seems to have a huge upside. He threw accurately in bad weather, made very good decisions with the ball, and has some good athleticism. Washington needs an offensive line. When is the last time you saw a line so absolutely beat up? They almost ran out of depth - they had guys out of position all over the line and had hurt guys playing. That Joe Bugel is something else.