PDA

View Full Version : Packers are 5-1! Enjoy it!!!

gbpackfan
10-15-2007, 11:16 PM
This isn't meant to single anyone out. In fact, I have been accused of being too negative at times. I go to a lot of Packers websites and read a lot of Packers material and there seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding this team. Yes, there are some positive pieces written but still a lot of "yeah but" pieces. MY GOD, they are 5-1!

Here's what I'm saying. After suffering through the 4-12 year and starting 4-8 last year, we should be ENJOYING THIS SEASON! Who in here would have thought OUR PACKERS WOULD BE 5-1 at the bye week. It is amazing. They have been a lot of fun to watch. Man, this team loves to give you the occasional heart attack but all in all, we have come away with some BIG TIME WINS.

Are there some improvements to be made? Absolutely. But part of having a great season is actually sitting back and enjoying it. Maybe a 12-20 record the past two seasons has taken it's toll. Maybe the media would rather write about the negatives then the positives? But think about it. We still have Brett Favre, we have an excellent coach who is actually willing to ADMIT HIS MISTAKES and LEARN from them and we have the best record in the NFC. Damn, I LOVE IT!

Okay, now bash away. And yes, I am a Packer homer and I do have green and gold glasses on.

HarveyWallbangers
10-15-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

GrnBay007
10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
5-1 BABY!!!!!!

:wow: :cow: :glug:

Tony Oday
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I said 10-6 at the start of the season and I am loving every minute of it :)

superfan
10-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Amen, brother! :glug:

Bottom line is that many of us use this board as armchair coaches and GMs, so we like to comment from their perspectives - what still needs to be improved.

But damn, as a fan, this has been a great season.

I would also like to point out that Iron Mike, with his ridiculous 16-0 prediction in the preseason prediction thread, is closer to right at this point than the rest of us.

gbpackfan
10-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I just realized something. I made this thread after I read the latest Harry Sydney artile at packerreport.com. Damn, that is one negative SOB. He NEVER has anything good to say about the Pack. I email him all the time and he gets so defensive. I can't believe I pay money for that crappy site. But everytime I try and cancel, they give me three free months so I don't.

Lurker64
10-16-2007, 12:52 AM
6-10 and 7-9 were popular picks for our record before the season started. At this point, we'll almost certainly have 7 wins before December.

woodbuck27
10-16-2007, 01:55 AM
On my most generous day I predicted a 7-9 finish to 2007.

To see our team at 5-1 is certainly a surprize to me.

I am shaking my head

I hope that something happens soon, that will help solidify a lock on the NFCN Championship.

The running game really bugs me and contributes greatly to us not winning the battle of the clock. That struggle if it continues will result in more adversity.

A lot of what has contributed to our 5-1 record is due to outstanding play on a per game per individul outstanding play basis (last game Charles Woodson came through huge).

I trust that after the Bye week, the team will play a better as a whole.

We need a total team effort for the remainder of the schedule to avoid any collapse.

It is just a rest and still. . . one game at a time BABY. :)

GO PACK GO !

Him8123
10-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Im thrilled. But I did pick us to be 5-1 at this point with our loss going to San Diego. had us 10-6 for the year

mmmdk
10-16-2007, 06:19 AM
5-1 is awesome; Packer wins are awesome. I kiss my lucky green clover every night.

GrnBay007
10-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Will post this since the Packers are going in to bye week.

Looks like Cleft Crusty already lost. :P

16-0

Iron Mike

12-4
OKC PackerFan

11-5

PaCkFan_n_MD
packers11
Freak Out
Badgepack
fan4life

10-6

Him8123
Jeffro
BallHawk
JustinHarrell
Joemailman
MJZiggy
Deputy Nutz
TennesseePackerBacker
cheesner
MadtownPacker
wpony
MasonCrosby
Cheesehead Craig

10-5-1

Green Bud Packer

9-7

KYPack
Partial
Chubbyhubby
The Shadow
LaFours
swede
TPF
oregonpackfan
Carolina_Packer
MadScientist
4and12to12and4
Fritz
the_idle_threat
Guiness
Brohm
Badgerinmaine
Maxie the Taxi
gex
Willard

8-8

Bretsky
HarveyWallbangers
Zool
superfan
Harlan Huckleby
BEARMAN
Rastak
son of a vic

7-9

woodbuck27
GBRulz
OS PA
esoxx
The Leaper
AtlPackFan
mngolf19
b bulldog
mmmdk
wist43
hurleyfan

6-10

TravisWilliams23
retailguy
gbgary

5-11

Dabaddestbear

4-12

Cleft Crusty

MJZiggy
10-16-2007, 07:53 AM
I do my little dance about it, but, gbpackfan, you're right. They're 5-1. There should be far more dancing (and overall jubilation)...

GBRulz
10-16-2007, 08:23 AM
I said 7-9 and am more than happy to be wrong!

Technically, I don't think this team is a whole lot different from last years team, except that this years team is finding out ways to scrap out a win. That's all that matters.

Carolina_Packer
10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Yep, and should really be 6-0! How can you not be pleased? I understand the concern and frustration about the running game. I've openly expressed it myself. That is not meant to detract from the big picture at all. That simply comes from not wanting that to come back and hurt our opportunity to advance and go as far as we could go with an efficient (not great) running game. But, as some have pointed out, teams have won without great run games, but obviously then you have to just be smokin' in all other aspects like passing game, defense and special teams. I wouldn't say smokin' but pretty good, sometimes great so far.

Hopefully someone will be able to emerge in the second half of the season as the runner, and personally, I hope it's D-Wynn as the primary and Morency/Jackson/Grant as the third down/situational backs. Let's hope the O-line continues to gel and that the running game forms some kind of identity. I'm sure the players and coaches are tired of hearing about that too.

Think of this too...with K-Rob possibly coming back, there's a shot in the arm if he can be something for the team. It's like a trade deadline signing in baseball.

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Bretsky
HarveyWallbangers
Zool
superfan

Optimistic Realists Club (well, Bretsky was kicked out), and we ended up being the friggin' Pessimists.

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I said 7-9 and am more than happy to be wrong!

Technically, I don't think this team is a whole lot different from last years team, except that this years team is finding out ways to scrap out a win. That's all that matters.

Nah, I think there are parts that are much better. We only played good defense in the last quarter of last year. This year, we've played good defense most of the year. Our special teams were atrocious last year. This year, I think we are at least average. Our receiving corps was Donald Driver. This year, Jennings and Jones have played pretty well--while Lee and Franks have had a turnaround. Our run blocking stinks, but our pass blocking is better. No more TEs blocking on 50% of the pass plays.

MJZiggy
10-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Bretsky
HarveyWallbangers
Zool
superfan

Optimistic Realists Club (well, Bretsky was kicked out), and we ended up being the friggin' Pessimists.

I didn't...

TheRaven
10-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Im thrilled. But I did pick us to be 5-1 at this point with our loss going to San Diego. had us 10-6 for the year

..so wait. Before the season, you thought the 2nd half of our schedule was tougher?

I thought if we could get to the bye week at 2-4, or if we were really lucky, 3-3, then we would have a chance for playoffs with our 2nd half schedule.

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2007, 11:12 AM

get that goddamn list out of here.

those picks were made in strict confidence.

LL2
10-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm as giddy about the team being 5-1 as the next optimistic Packer fan. I'm loving it!

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2007, 11:54 AM
8-8

Bretsky
HarveyWallbangers
Zool
superfan
Harlan Huckleby
BEARMAN
Rastak
son of a vic

What an eclectic bunch this is.

Zool
10-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Its like the MN crew.

GBRulz
10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Nah, I think there are parts that are much better. We only played good defense in the last quarter of last year. This year, we've played good defense most of the year. Our special teams were atrocious last year. This year, I think we are at least average. Our receiving corps was Donald Driver. This year, Jennings and Jones have played pretty well--while Lee and Franks have had a turnaround. Our run blocking stinks, but our pass blocking is better. No more TEs blocking on 50% of the pass plays.

OK, let me clarify because I think you misunderstood my point. The team is playing better overall this year and coming out with wins, where as last year that was not the case. Player-wise, I think it's a wash. We lost a step in our running game and gained one with the receiving game.

Merlin
10-16-2007, 12:09 PM
I couldn't be happier with our 5-1 start. The rest of our schedule looks fairly easy in comparison to the start of it.

Final 10 Game Predictions:

@ Denver - W (Success after bye week continues)
@ Kansas City - L (Something doesn't feel right about playing there)
Minnesota - L (Sorry, Adrian Peterson is the real deal and he tore us up already)
Carolina - W (We are better then they are)
@Detroit - L (Have to go with Thanksgiving Day odds)
@ Dallas - W (Must win game for Home Field Advantage)
Oakland - W
@ St Louis - W (If we lose this game we truly deserver to not make the playoffs)
@Chicago - W (Favre's dominance of the Bears returns)
Detroit - W/L ? Favre plays the first quarter, Aaron Rodgers relieves during a meaningless game.

Packers 10-6/11-5, Wild Card because they lose the Division to Minnesota who goes 8-8 but wins the rest of their division games (is that how it works?)

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Packers 10-6/11-5, Wild Card because they lose the Division to Minnesota who goes 8-8 but wins the rest of their division games (is that how it works?)

No.

GBRulz
10-16-2007, 12:22 PM
I dunno about the last game vs Detriot being a meaningless game. They certainly are turning some heads this year and shouldn't be overlooked.

Carolina_Packer
10-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Detroit - W/L ? Favre plays the first quarter, Aaron Rodgers relieves during a meaningless game.

Perhaps Favre will be thinking about his New Year's plans!

Green Bud Packer
10-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Perhaps Favre will be thinking about his New Year's plans!

And Merlin will be saying i told you so.

MJZiggy
10-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Why would he be saying I told you so about our first round bye and home field throughout the playoffs...?

Carolina_Packer
10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Why would he be saying I told you so about our first round bye and home field throughout the playoffs...?

Ah, such pleasant words you speak MJ...not the Merlin stuff, but the bye and home field advantage! My non-Packer fan friends are saying that the NFC champion is just playing for the right to lose to the Patriots. I say it's a long season and we'll see. I'm certainly not counting on anything as far as the Packers are concerned, other than we will be playing at Denver after the bye.

SkinBasket
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM

No.

Another Merlinism.

Not sure how he has a team at 8-8 winning the division over a team thats 10-6, but it's not surprising I suppose. Maybe he has the Patriots missing the playoffs at 16-0 too.

Green Bud Packer
10-16-2007, 01:53 PM

He'd be saying I told you so to Favre being benched, T.T. trying to run him outta town, and all his other theories.

LL2
10-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I couldn't be happier with our 5-1 start. The rest of our schedule looks fairly easy in comparison to the start of it.

Final 10 Game Predictions:

@ Denver - W (Success after bye week continues)
@ Kansas City - L (Something doesn't feel right about playing there)
Minnesota - L (Sorry, Adrian Peterson is the real deal and he tore us up already)
Carolina - W (We are better then they are)
@Detroit - L (Have to go with Thanksgiving Day odds)
@ Dallas - W (Must win game for Home Field Advantage)
Oakland - W
@ St Louis - W (If we lose this game we truly deserver to not make the playoffs)
@Chicago - W (Favre's dominance of the Bears returns)

If they win the last game against Detroit they will be 12-4, which I would be thrilled with. I do want to see them get a bye and preferably home field throughout the playoffs, but they need to beat the Cowboys to do that.

oregonpackfan
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I too am pleasantly surprised. At this point in the season, the best I had hoped for was 3-3.

Probably the most encouraging aspect of the 5-1 is the realization that the Packers are the youngest team in the NFL. They most likely will be improving their overall quality of play and reducing mistakes as the season progresses.

If my season prediction of 9-7 is below their actual wins, I will be glad to fly out to Green Bay and have GBRulz serve me a steaming platter of Crow! :)

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
If my season prediction of 9-7 is below their actual wins, I will be glad to fly out to Green Bay and have GBRulz serve me a steaming platter of Crow!

GBR predicted 7-9, so she'll get first dibs on that platter of crow.

KYPack
10-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I really thought the tough start made us 8-8 material again, but upgraded my pick to 9-7 to stay an optimist.

I figured 3-3 or 2-4 at this point, but finishing strong go 9-7.

I'll stand pat. Last year, I thought 8-8 was crazy, but that's what we finished.

The 10-6 or 11-5 guys look pretty strong right now.

Carolina_Packer
10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
So, if we had a productive running game, would we be Super Bowl contenders this year? If not, what else would it take?

Joemailman
10-16-2007, 11:13 PM
If we had a running game, I think we would be the favorite to win the NFC because our defense is better than Dallas.

woodbuck27
10-17-2007, 05:55 AM
We will finish 2007 in here.

9-7

KYPack
Partial
Chubbyhubby
The Shadow
LaFours
swede
TPF
oregonpackfan
Carolina_Packer
MadScientist
4and12to12and4
Fritz
the_idle_threat
Guiness
Brohm
Badgerinmaine
Maxie the Taxi
gex
Willard

8-8

Bretsky
HarveyWallbangers
Zool
superfan
Harlan Huckleby
BEARMAN
Rastak
son of a vic

7-9

woodbuck27
GBRulz
OS PA
esoxx
The Leaper
AtlPackFan
mngolf19
b bulldog
mmmdk
wist43
hurleyfan

GO PACKERS ! PLAYOFFssss this season.

MadtownPacker
10-17-2007, 08:20 AM
We will finish 2007 in here.Woody, I hate to say this but that is really stupid man. You are basically predicting a collapse equal to the 2003 vikings. Why would a good Packer backer like yourself want that?

Zool
10-17-2007, 08:42 AM
We will finish 2007 in here.Woody, I hate to say this but that is really stupid man. You are basically predicting a collapse equal to the 2003 vikings. Why would a good Packer backer like yourself want that?

So he can be right?

Scott Campbell
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM

Because it will be easier to continue hating Ted?

Green Bud Packer
10-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Because it will be easier to continue hating Ted?

Because Woody's ego is bigger than his :pack: spot.

Joemailman
10-22-2007, 11:09 PM

get that goddamn list out of here.

those picks were made in strict confidence.

You're right. And some of us had more confidence than others. :butt: