PDA

View Full Version : Corey Williams and the power running game.....

CaptainKickass
10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
We keep getting into 2nd and short/3rd and short with the passing game.

So we used Corey on a run play that was successful.

We have an unnatural depth at DT.

What say we continue to do so more often?

Pro's? Con's? Advantages?

mmmdk
10-16-2007, 05:54 PM
We keep getting into 2nd and short/3rd and short with the passing game.

So we used Corey on a run play that was successful.

We have an unnatural depth at DT.

What say we continue to do so more often?

Pro's? Con's? Advantages?

I can only say this: WUHUU, YEAH BABY. Where did that come from - was that even me and should I worry? CaptainKickass?

CaptainKickass
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
It just seems to me that if we at least made more use of the depth at DT by lining one of them up as a TE or Fullback, that we could have some sort of a scary power running attack.

If we combine that with some zone running, some draw plays out of passing formations, and of course - the screen pass - then we just might be able to have an effective ground attack for the second half of our season.

I think Williams is good, and hell, what about Cole? Hell - lets line up the rookie JH in there and see what kinda hole he can open up.

SkinBasket
10-17-2007, 12:22 PM
It just seems to me that if we at least made more use of the depth at DT by lining one of them up as a TE or Fullback, that we could have some sort of a scary power running attack.

If we combine that with some zone running, some draw plays out of passing formations, and of course - the screen pass - then we just might be able to have an effective ground attack for the second half of our season.

I think Williams is good, and hell, what about Cole? Hell - lets line up the rookie JH in there and see what kinda hole he can open up.

I think that if it would work on a consistent basis, more teams would use big fatties in the backfield, but they don't so I'm assuming it doesn't work out that well to base a package around it.

CaptainKickass
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I think that if it would work on a consistent basis, more teams would use big fatties in the backfield, but they don't so I'm assuming it doesn't work out that well to base a package around it.

I disagree.

Does the U-71 sound familiar?

Merlin
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Sherman over-used the U71 package. In the end, it didn't produce. If you bring in Wiliams or whoever and use them as a decoy in various packages then I could see that having some good success. The reality is, we have a rookie fullback, two TE's and zero depth at either of them. Our three TE set contains an OT as the third TE! We just need one of these big boys to have the dexterity to handle the ball well. I am sure one of these guys can do it. If Hall can convert to a FB and hang onto the ball as a rookie, you would think we may have other players out there who could play a non-conventional role.

Guiness
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
I just had a flashback to Sapp jumping up and down like he was on a pogo stick after he caught his TD pass when Tampa lined him up as an eligeable receiver.

ZachMN
10-17-2007, 08:54 PM
I told a dude at work they should do that before the bears game-put a DT in there and smash the others guys out of the way and voila! it happened. I like it. belichek always seems to do things like this, something obvious. I am all for it.

4and12to12and4
10-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, as strange as it sounds, it certainly couldn't make the running game worse could it? We are about as bad as it gets. I like that we're not clicking on all cylinders early on yet still winning, it is nice to have something to have to improve on while still leading our division and conference for that matter. Kinda like the Colts last year, it seemed like it gave them an attitude on defense during the playoffs as if they had to prove themselves, and it geared them up, yes having Sanders back helped, but that whole group just had a chip on their shoulders. I hope that's what happens to our line and rb's as the season continues and we get it all together when we need it most, postseason. Until then, we are fine tuning the passing game to the point of the old 49er's west coast style of play. The more Brett throws it to these young guys early on could help us in critical situations in the playoffs, and with that experience, if we get the ground game going by the end of the year, we can be dominant.