PDA

View Full Version : GB Press Gazette Chat Monday : Minicamps, etc.

motife
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Greetings everyone. I'm sure everyone has a lot of questions after this past weekend's mini-camp, so let's get this started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Dylan, Tom Ristow reported that Mark Roman has cleaned out his locker did you see that to? Also if you did is Mark quitting the team or what is happening with the situation?

Dylan Tomlinson: I spoke with Roman yesterday and he is clearly unhappy and wants out. I don't know how significant him cleaning out his locker is since most of the players are going home between now and the next mini-camp, which Roman strongly hinted that he might skip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kimberly, Sheboygan, wi: dylan, how did Aaron Rodgers do in this mini camp?

Dylan Tomlinson: I thought Rodgers looked great. I think he's going to do a great job when he eventually becomes the starter.

Clem, Escanaba: Dylan: Is Ashley Lelie worth going after? I can imgaine that Ted Thompson and Mike Shanahan talked about him at some point in their trade for Walker. Might this mean that Lelie is hardly worth the effort to get?

Dylan Tomlinson: I know the Packers were not interested in Lelie during their trade conversations with Denver around the draft time. I think if the Broncos released Lelie, the Packers would be wise to give him a look.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Dylan, As a Packer fan it is difficult not to be pleased with the recent draft. It appears that Thompson and his staff did an excellent job, although the real answer only will be known after two or three years. The players taken in the first several rounds generally were given good grades by the so called draft experts. Apparently Dallas was intending to take Colledge a few picks after the Packers. My question concerns the second year players. Last year only Collins and Gado proved themselves as quality NFL performers. Out of the group of Rodgers, Underwood, Dendy, Hawkins, Poppinga, Manning, Coston, White, Whitticker, and Montgomery, who do you think will become proven players over the next two years? I recognize that Rodgers will really be a somewhat unknown factor as long as Favre plays. Thanks for your insight.

Dylan Tomlinson: I agree that this year's draft is looking pretty good after this camp. Colledge is the real deal and will probably start immediately. Jennings looked great and will be at worst the No. 3 receiver. Cory Rodgers also looked outstanding. Obviously AJ Hawk will start... As far as last year's picks are concerned, I think Rodgers will wind up being a steal as late as they got him. Obviously Collins is great. I'm not sold on Underwood. Poppinga is OK. I'm still waiting to see something other than potential from Hawkins. I know the team is really happy with Coston and he may be the starter at right guard. Whitticker needs to lose some weight or he's in serious risk to even make the team.

John , Harrisburg, PA: How likely are the Packers to tade an expendable player such as Carroll, Roman or even Ferguson in order to beef up an area of weakness?

Dylan Tomlinson: I think if the Packers could get anything significant for any of those guys, they would already be gone. Carroll still has potential and I don't know why you would trade him when you're not going to get anything in return. I've never been a Ferguson fan, and I think he'll be no better than the No. 4 receiver. They're not getting anything significant in trade for him. I don't know why any team would be willing to trade anything for Roman.

scott sieleman, oelwein iowa: thanks for the chat!,,,,who do u think has improved the most in the north division of the nfc since last year? what do you think of this years rookies so far?,,I know its early! have a great day! packers rule and lambeau's cool!

Dylan Tomlinson: It's probably the Packers. I liked Detroit's coaching moves and I think they'll be improved. I'm not a Brad Childress fan at all and I think Minnesota may implode this year. I still the Bears are the overwhelming favorites to win the Division.

Don Rogers, Panama: How did the secondery look this past weekend with my boy Charles Woodson back there? Do you think Hawkins will beat out Carroll for N-Back this year or not?

Dylan Tomlinson: I think Woodson is going to be a great addition. He looks fine and healthy. I think Carroll will be in the nickel, but Hawkins may compete for that job as well.

Don Rogers, Panama: Dylan- Are the Packers interested at all about bringing in another WR. Perhaps a "Jerry Porter" type player via trade or anything?? Or does MM think we are good for now??

Dylan Tomlinson: I don't see a trade in the Packers future. Who do they have who other teams want who they would be willing to trade. I also don't see TT parting with draft picks the way Sherman did. He's not that careless. My guess is Ted will be watching the waiver wire and see which WRs are cut loose before June 1. Maybe someone like Lelie comes here.

abishopd, chicago: Dylan, thanks for joining us. What position with have the most heated competition come training camp: K, SSLB, SS, WR(next to Driver), OG, OC?

Dylan Tomlinson: Well, kicker and punter are going to have a great deal of competition, but I think the battle for No. 2 receiver could be really interesting. I think it will eventually be Gardner but he could be pushed by Jennings and Cory Rodgers.

abishopd, Chicago: Dylan, besides Favre, who's injury would hurt this team the most next season? I think we have more depth on this team than we have had in a long time.

Dylan Tomlinson: Well, I don't think the offensive line can afford to take a hit, so you could argue about it being Clifton or Tauscher or it may be someone like Driver.

Ron Vale, Chicago: Dylan, did you get a look at Greg Jennings this weekend? From what I have been reading he stood out the most among the rookies with his smooth route running and great hands.

Dylan Tomlinson: Jennings definitely stood out. He looked great.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Dylan, What does Montgomery look like this year? Do you think he will get playing time? I guess it's about time to write off Washington as another bad Sherman draft choice which I believe he traded up to get. Thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: Yeah, if Washington and Sander don't make this year's team, it will be time to declare Mike Sherman as one of the worst GMs in NFL history. I look at the 2003 and 2004 drafts and the Packers got Barnett, Scott Wells and essentially nothing else. I mean this is a guy who traded up for Washington, Kenny Peterson, James Lee, BJ Sander. The guy clearly had no eye whatsoever for talent, especially on defense.

Don, Panama: Dylan- Are the Packers close to signing Verba again? Do you see him resigning with us or another team?

Dylan Tomlinson: If Verba is willing to play for the minimum or close to it or take an incentive-laden contract, I could see him signing somewhere soon. If he wants a big bonus, it could drag out awhile. Personally, I'd like to see what he could do at right guard.

Phil Nack, Savannah, GA: DYLON; Overall I think Thompson did an outstanding job on the draft. Reminds me of Ron Wolf(The Trader). However I just hope the Packer draft board had WR Jackson(could have been Packer at #36) rated below Jennings, Same as above for pick #37-Packers picked Colledge and Off. Tackle Justice from USC was still on the board. I realize Pack rec additional draft choices for 36&37 but only time will tell. Will we ever know how the Packer board rated all four players?

Dylan Tomlinson: I know Chad Jackson had projected as a first-rounder, but I know there were a lot of teams who were worried about him because he did so little in college. Jennings looked outstanding at the first mini-camp. As far as Justice goes, the guy was a troublemaker and while I'm sure he'll do fine in Philly, I don't know if he would have fit in here.

John, Lancaster, PA: With the addition of Charles Woodson, do you think it is possible the Packers might look to trade Ahmad Carroll?

Dylan Tomlinson: Acquiring Woodson takes a lot of pressure off Carroll and I think it may be the best thing that ever happened to him. Carroll seems to be taking everything in stride and I think he might be pretty effective in the nickel.

Kevin, Chippewa Falls: On paper at least the Pack improved their defense.The one worry I have though is still the pass rush. All the top defenses have a good pass rush (i.e.- Carolina, Chicago, Pittsburgh). Your thoughts ?

Dylan Tomlinson: Yeah, I don't know if the Packers pass rush will be significantly better. The defense has definitely improved with the additions of Pickett, Manuel, Hawk and especially Woodson. If the Packers coverage is as improved as people think it may be, the result could be a lot more sacks. We'll see.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Dylan, If you have time for another question, I was wondering if any of the late round draft choices and free agents caught your eye? I believe most people viewed Moll more as free agent quality. Thanks

Dylan Tomlinson: Of the second-day picks, I was probably most impressed with Cory Rodgers. I agree Moll might have been a reach, but with offensive linemen, perhaps moreso than any other position, it's so difficult to know who's going to be good.

Clem, Escanaba, MI: DT: What is your impression of Bob Sanders so far? What are key things to be looking for in the development of the D in the upcoming practices?

Dylan Tomlinson: Several players like Barnett and Harris made a point to say they were glad they didn't have to learn a new defense for the the fourth straight year. I don't think the defense will be that different than it was under Bates last season. Sanders isn't Bates, but I think he'll do an OK job. He's also going to have much better talent to work with than Bates did.

Jacob, Chicago: Are the packers in trouble @ fullback more so than running back? Henderson is a Packer Hall of Famer but he was not that good last year and Leach didn't seem much better. Along those lines, have we seen the end of the empty backfield w/Sherman gone?

Dylan Tomlinson: I agree that Henderson was awful last season. For the record, Leach was with the starters for much of mini-camp. Leach's biggest problem is that he can't seem to catch and that's Henderson's biggest strength.

That's all for today. If anyone else has any questions, please email me at dtomlins@postcrescent.com.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Dylan Tomlinson: Yeah, if Washington and Sander don't make this year's team, it will be time to declare Mike Sherman as one of the worst GMs in NFL history.

Mike Sherman - worst GM in NFL history????

K-town
05-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Dylan Tomlinson: Yeah, if Washington and Sander don't make this year's team, it will be time to declare Mike Sherman as one of the worst GMs in NFL history.

Mike Sherman - worst GM in NFL history????

Ugh. Sad thing is, Dylan could be right. On the other hand, Detroit has MATT MILLEN, and he's still got a job. So maybe Detroit has the worst ownership/front office in NFL history.

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
No. 2 receiver could be really interesting. I think it will eventually be Gardner but he could be pushed by Jennings and Cory Rodgers.

I think Jennings has to be on the field as the #2. The Packers him to develop quickly. Maybe it is just wishful thinking to expect a guy from a small school to start immediately, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

RashanGary
05-08-2006, 06:37 PM
The Packers offense is starting over from scratch so Jennings has just as good of a chance as anyone else. If Jennings outplays Fergi then you have to start him.

Gardner did not look in great shape to me.

Tarlam!
05-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Maybe it is just wishful thinking to expect a guy from a small school to start immediately, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

One word for ya: C-O-L-L-I-N-S !!!