PDA

View Full Version : Would you pull the trigger on Turner now?

Guiness
10-17-2007, 12:54 AM
During the offseason and preseason, many felt the reason not to go after Turner was that we weren't close, that one player wouldn't make much of a difference, needed all of our picks for depth, etc.

Well, now that we're 5-1, and certainly looking like a playoff team, does that change the landscape? It should be obvious to management at the Pack that the RB's we have are not the answer. Sure Wynn has shown some flashes, but he's not going to be this year's Drew-Jones. So does the idea of giving up a couple of picks (likely a 1st and 2nd) for Turner have more appeal now?

Inquiring minds want to know :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Didn't the trade deadline pass?

Guiness
10-17-2007, 01:01 AM
oops - dunno. The news about Chambers got me thinking about this. Was that deal made right at the deadline?

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 01:11 AM
oops - dunno. The news about Chambers got me thinking about this. Was that deal made right at the deadline?

I believe so. I thought this afternoon was the trade deadline.

3irty1
10-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Didn't need him anyways.

woodbuck27
10-17-2007, 05:45 AM
Too late. . . way tooo late again.

Hello Guiness. :)

GO PACK GO !

Bretsky
10-17-2007, 07:10 AM
During the offseason and preseason, many felt the reason not to go after Turner was that we weren't close, that one player wouldn't make much of a difference, needed all of our picks for depth, etc.

Well, now that we're 5-1, and certainly looking like a playoff team, does that change the landscape? It should be obvious to management at the Pack that the RB's we have are not the answer. Sure Wynn has shown some flashes, but he's not going to be this year's Drew-Jones. So does the idea of giving up a couple of picks (likely a 1st and 2nd) for Turner have more appeal now?

So are you really asking if we'd have given up Justin Harrell and Brandon Jackson for Michael Turner :lol:

LL2
10-17-2007, 07:22 AM

So are you really asking if we'd have given up Justin Harrell and Brandon Jackson for Michael Turner :lol:

At this point I would, but we do not know yet how Harrell and Jackson will turn out long term. Having Turner down the stretch sure would've been nice though.

Cheesehead Craig
10-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Do we get any decent run-blocking OL along with him?

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Ricky! Ricky! Ricky!

ND72
10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I would have pulled the string last year before the draft and given up the #2 for Turner...but that's me.

And I did hear on espn that Ricky Williams is "expecting phone calls from Tampa, Atlanta, Green Bay, and Houston."

retailguy
10-17-2007, 06:22 PM
I would have pulled the string last year before the draft and given up the #2 for Turner...but that's me.

And I did hear on espn that Ricky Williams is "expecting phone calls from Tampa, Atlanta, Green Bay, and Houston."

I agree. I wasn't in favor of Turner, because I knew AJ Smith wouldn't let him go for a "2", but I'd have given up a "2". For those of you that think I don't like Jackson, I still have hope he'll produce, but I never thought it would be in 2007.

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Ricky can "expect" calls all he wants, but I expect he'll be waiting a long time for some of them...and doesn't Miami still own his rights? If not, why not?

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Ricky can "expect" calls all he wants, but I expect he'll be waiting a long time for some of them...and doesn't Miami still own his rights? If not, why not?

I don't know details, but I assume Miami has to sign him to their roster once he is eligible, or he becomes a free agent.

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Then what about the money he owes them?

Lurker64
10-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Turner hasn't really shown me enough this year to justify spending a first on him, and maybe not a second. Considering that Turner's been in the league for a few years and should have things like "the speed of the game" down by now, whereas a rookie RB can still learn those things and get better.

As a FA, maybe, but I wouldn't give up high picks for him, even now.

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Then what about the money he owes them?

I don't think money has much to do with it, they will sign him or not sign him based on his talents.

Lurker64
10-17-2007, 06:51 PM
After the trade deadline, there's literally no way to trade a player, right (unlike in baseball, where trades after the trade deadline are common)?

Packers4Ever
10-17-2007, 06:51 PM

Harv, I think it was yesterday, Oct. 16th.... ??

hoosier
10-17-2007, 08:38 PM
If it were Monday before the trade deadline I would say no trade. The way this offensive line is run blocking right now, I'm not sure it much matters whether you put Green or Jackson or Turner back there--if they don't have holes there's not much they can do (unless they're Barry Sanders II). The only real difference, IMO, is on short yardage, where a runner like Green might be able to make a hard yard on his own where Jackson couldn't. But I wouldn't trade a #1 or #2 for that.

retailguy
10-17-2007, 08:40 PM

Harv, I think it was yesterday, Oct. 16th.... ??

Look at the time of his post... 1am...

Merlin
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Our line is not equipped to do anything with the run as it stands. our starting center is out and his replacement can only pass block sporadically. That means our starting guard is now at center. Wells, Clifton & Tauscher have shown the ability to abandon this silly "smaller linemen" ZBS scheme but the guards? Hrmmmm....not so sure about that. The only chance our line has of producing a 1,000 rusher this season is if we have a bruiser who can pound it in there. Morency by far has the best cutback skills on our team. Wynn, when he hits the hole (which isn't often) can make things happen. Jackson doesn't have the speed or the brains (right now) to be of any use. The Packers need to promote Chris White from the practice quad and use him on obvious run downs. That way we have a bruiser who can get 4-5 yards just pounding it in there.

4and12to12and4
10-17-2007, 09:29 PM
If it were Monday before the trade deadline I would say no trade. The way this offensive line is run blocking right now, I'm not sure it much matters whether you put Green or Jackson or Turner back there--if they don't have holes there's not much they can do (unless they're Barry Sanders II). The only real difference, IMO, is on short yardage, where a runner like Green might be able to make a hard yard on his own where Jackson couldn't. But I wouldn't trade a #1 or #2 for that.

I have to disagree with you here. I've watched all our games at least three times over, dissecting why our backs are going nowhere. I agree the line has a ways to improve, and it seems like most plays everyone does a wonderful job with their responsibility only to have one guy miss his, seldom do ALL the linemen and other blockers get there shit together on the same play, it seems like just one guy will miss his guy, let his guy go through, double team when needing to block someone else, etc. but usually only one guy per play, and almost everyone is guilty from play to play, it's not just one guy consistently getting beat. That's what's frustrating.

But, more importantly, our backs, especially Morency, can't shed the one guy in his way to get to daylight. He seems to be a lightweight when ANYONE makes any contact with him. Jackson was better, but neither have very good vision to cut back or run it outside the tackles when all is stuffed between the tackles. There is just no back on our team right now that has that "it" to be able to create a play unless it's open right in front of him. I noticed Wynn seemed to excel better with pitches, if he gets a few yards to get full steam ahead, he can make some things happen, but isn't gonna scare anyone as far as big play potential. We do need a better back, unless Jackson just needs more time to develop, he seems to be the most explosive and stronger of the three backs. Wynn is just like Davenport, Morency doesn't impress me at all, but Jackson seemed to have the best postential, his vision to find the hole wasn't great, but he is a rookie, so, he is the only one I think is worth holding onto, otherwise, we're screwed the rest of the year, unless the line suddenly opens up ginormous holes everywhere, and I don't see that happening. We're to small in the middle and too old on the ends.

KYPack
10-17-2007, 09:31 PM
No to Turner.

SD's price was ridiculous then.

Wait til the off-season and sign somebody for money only. We've got some of that. Why waste a high pick?

Here's the real preliminary list:

Lewis, Jamal
Duckett, T.J.
Dayne, Ron
Gado, Samkon
Toefield, LaBrandon
Bennett, Michael
Ward, Derrick
Fargas, Justin
Turner, Michael
Brown, Christopher Rajean

Bennet may have signed due to the trade, haven't heard much about that.

falco
10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
No to Turner.

SD's price was ridiculous then.

Wait til the off-season and sign somebody for money only. We've got some of that. Why waste a high pick?

Here's the real preliminary list:

Lewis, Jamal
Duckett, T.J.
Dayne, Ron
Gado, Samkon
Toefield, LaBrandon
Bennett, Michael
Ward, Derrick
Fargas, Justin
Turner, Michael
Brown, Christopher Rajean

Bennet may have signed due to the trade, haven't heard much about that.

i don't know that anyone on that list is that exciting.

and unless we stumble big time we'll be picking probably in the bottom 1/3 or so,

so hopefully someone decent falls to us.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Ward looks good to me. Is he an UFA?

RashanGary
10-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Ward is too similar to what we have. Turner looks like the best of the bunch.

That said, I'm very interested to see what Wynn has next year. He seems like a guy who could take a huge leap in year two.

Speaking of FA's, we have Bigby and Williams coming up. Resigning both of those guys seems pretty important to me.

Bretsky
10-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Ward is too similar to what we have. Turner looks like the best of the bunch.

That said, I'm very interested to see what Wynn has next year. He seems like a guy who could take a huge leap in year two.

Speaking of FA's, we have Bigby and Williams coming up. Resigning both of those guys seems pretty important to me.

I really like Ward too; I have him in a couple FF leagues so and have watched a few games and have really been impressed. I'd take him on this squad in a second.

I like Turner more; but I like Ward as much or more than any back we have

RashanGary
10-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I like Turner more; but I like Ward as much or more than any back we have

Right now, I do too. I'm not so sure that Wynn won't be a good back though. Wynn is big, fast and instinctive. If he gets his body in tip top shape, he could make a huge leap to Ward level without the price tag.

Jackson seems like a prototypical change of pace back. He has a knack in space that makes attacking the perimeter with the short pass, very effective. He's not an every down RB though. He makes Morency expendable next year.

I'll be OK if we go after a RB, but the time to do that was really this off season. We're hurting now. It won't be as big of a deal if Wynn is in great shape next off season.

superfan
10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
I think DAL RB Julius Jones might also be a UFA, and I like him more than everyone on the list other than Turner.

LL2
10-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Question: What position on the OL is more pivotal to having rushing succes the Guards or Tackles? A few years ago the Packers had a great rushing game. We still have Tauscher and Clifton. is it the guards that a failing?

Rastak
10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Question: What position on the OL is more pivotal to having rushing succes the Guards or Tackles? A few years ago the Packers had a great rushing game. We still have Tauscher and Clifton. is it the guards that a failing?

Depends on the scheme. If you have lots of pulling gaurds and centers then obviously that's important, or if you run inside the tackles alot. If you attack the edge then tight ends and tackles are a bit more important.

If the DT's get a big push on the center of the line inside running plays are screwed. When you draw 8 or 9 in the box though and you have gaurds and a center who can get to the second level and the back also does that, you can rip off big gains.

SkinBasket
10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
The Packers need to promote Chris White from the practice quad and use him on obvious run downs. That way we have a bruiser who can get 4-5 yards just pounding it in there.

If White could get 4-5 yards "just pounding it in there," I'm pretty sure he would be on the active roster as the no. 1 starter. He's on the PS of a team with very little at the RB position for a reason, and it's not because he can pick up 4 or 5 yards per carry.

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Chris White makes Wynn look like Barry Sanders.

mraynrand
10-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Chris White makes Wynn look like Barry Sanders.

I didn't know White was a makeup artist. If he really makes him look like Barry Sanders, I wish he's do a better job of it - right now Wynn is making himself look like a dialysis patient or a blood donor with a bad reaction.

http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/uimages/team_news/dehydrated.jpg