PDA

View Full Version : No show at camp

b bulldog
05-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Why is Brett being allowed to miss the next minicamp. I thought McCarthy said that if Brett was to come back, that he would be at all the minicamps. With all the new WR's and all the youth in general, shouldn't the leader of the team be present at the minicamp. I guess nothing has changed, Favre still runs the team. One other thing, I'll give you 29 reasons why Brett SHOULD BE THERE!

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I find this situation very strange indeed. But maybe there is more to the story. It would be interesting (not to mention good fun) to put bamboo shoots underneath Mike McCarthy's fingers and find out what's really going on.

Patler
05-08-2006, 05:35 PM
He can't be forced to come, they are voluntary. The GBPG makes it sound like Favre's decision, not MM's:

"While McCarthy didn’t say so, he implied the decision was Favre’s. Last year, former coach Mike Sherman excused Favre from both minicamps. Although attendance at the next minicamp is optional, the majority of the players are expected to attend.

“Brettâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s plan is that he will not participate in the next minicamp,” McCarthy said. “He will not be here.”

“Weââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re looking at (him being here for) potentially 10 of the 14 OTAs,” McCarthy said."

GBRulz
05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
It sounds like the 2nd minicamp is targeted mainly towards the younger players.

Patler
05-08-2006, 05:44 PM

Why do you say that? What other older players will not be there?

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Forrest Gregg is likely to be a no-show, again.

Noodle
05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Don't like it. I thought it was ok last year, after initially being peeved about it, because, honestly, what more could the guy learn from Bevell and Co., and because it gave the other guys more snaps.

But that was then. This year, new HC, new OC, new QB Coach, new everything. And it's not like he's doing some intense, off-season work. Apparently, his workouts have consisted of "manual labor" like cutting down trees with a chain saw.

If that's what it takes to get in shape for an NFL season, then half the guys in Sweet Sconnie are ready for their number to be called.

GBRulz
05-08-2006, 05:51 PM

Why do you say that? What other older players will not be there?

Well, MM said that the 2nd minicamp will be going over the first and second downs that they worked on in this first camp, again in the 2nd camp, particulary working with the young guys. (Source: packer news)

No clue about others not attending. The media only mentioned Favre, but I guess we won't know until camp #2 has come and gone!

Rastak
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Why is Brett being allowed to miss the next minicamp. I thought McCarthy said that if Brett was to come back, that he would be at all the minicamps. With all the new WR's and all the youth in general, shouldn't the leader of the team be present at the minicamp. I guess nothing has changed, Favre still runs the team. One other thing, I'll give you 29 reasons why Brett SHOULD BE THERE!

I was surprised...no, I ain't trolling. He is the team leader, can anyone dispute that? I really thought he'd be at all of them this year with a somewhat new offense being installed. At least all the terminology is new.
What could be more important than mini-camp? Other than your family's health or something like that.

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2006, 06:48 PM
What could be more important than mini-camp? Other than your family's health or something like that.

Rastak, I think you nailed it: he's back on the Vicodin.

HarveyWallbangers
05-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I was surprised...no, I ain't trolling.

Whatever. The only time you talk about Favre anymore is to come on here and post comments like this.

Rastak
05-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I was surprised...no, I ain't trolling.

Whatever. The only time you talk about Favre anymore is to come on here and post comments like this.

Okay Harvey I'll say it, why the fuck do you have to say things like this. I don't agree with his approach, I say it...so what. It's a forum for people to exchange ideas. How about you explaining to me why it's so great he doesn't show up? I don't get it. If Brad Johnson wasn't going to show up at Vikings camp I'd say WTF.

Does this not make sense?

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
If Brad Johnson wasn't going to show up at Vikings camp I'd say WTF.

I'd say who cares - it's just Brad Johnson.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Rodgers needs the reps. Brett doesn't. This is not a big deal.

Rastak
05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
If Brad Johnson wasn't going to show up at Vikings camp I'd say WTF.

I'd say who cares - it's just Brad Johnson.

Probably what most are saying on the subject at hand I guess......the Lord requested time off so all be still......

Rastak
05-08-2006, 07:31 PM

Is he starting this year? Yes, I know one guy is a second year guy and the other a HOFer.....but why on earth wouldn't you want your starting QB at all minicamps when installing a new offense.

billy_oliver880
05-08-2006, 07:33 PM

Is he starting this year? Yes, I know one guy is a second year guy and the other a HOFer.....but why on earth wouldn't you want your starting QB at all minicamps when installing a new offense.

I agree with you on this one. I think he should be there to make sure that he is ready for the season and comfortable with the recieving corp.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 07:35 PM

They're voluntary. He came to the first one.

If he ends up stinking up the joint this year because he missed the second voluntary minicamp, then I'll concede you were right. Otherwise, this topic is a yawner.

Rastak
05-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Despite what Harvey thinks I'm not spewing this out with glee....Ha Ha...or anything like that.

Not at all, I'm sure McCarthy and Thompson have a plan. I just don't agree it's the best. I'm happy to hear arguments to the contrary. Rasta dude is right, in my opinion...

Hey Billy, rastak stands for Rasta Kyle....long live reggae.

Rastak
05-08-2006, 07:39 PM

They're voluntary. He came to the first one.

If he ends up stinking up the joint this year because he missed the second voluntary minicamp, then I'll concede you were right. Otherwise, this topic is a yawner.

Okay, I'll concede the point...UNLESS someone else decides to sit at home and McCarthy goes balistic.

MadtownPacker
05-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Mark Roman isnt suppose to show up either. :mrgreen:

Leave Rastak alone guys. We need someone here to piss us off!

BTW - I dont think it's a huge deal. He showed up this weekend and he is gonna be showing up for most of the camps.

Bossman641
05-08-2006, 08:22 PM
I actually have to agree with Rastak here.

New offense, new terminology, a slew of new WR's

Right now, the only offensive player Favre has any trust in is Driver. What happens when Favre is in trouble? He heaves it to Driver, sometimes into double or triple coverage.

How are Jennings, Rodgers, Boerigter, Ferguson, Gardner supposed to develop a chemistry with Favre when he is not there? The passing game is all about timing, especially in the west coast offense.

As for it being "voluntary", come on, you know better than that. How many other players will skip it? How many would get blasted by members of this board if they don't show up?

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 08:56 PM
How are Jennings, Rodgers, Boerigter, Ferguson, Gardner supposed to develop a chemistry with Favre when he is not there? The passing game is all about timing, especially in the west coast offense.

Camp and the preseason is way too long anyway. They'll have plenty of time to work it all out.

Deputy Nutz
05-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I guess it is that time of year again. The draft is over, and so is the first mini camp, so lets find some topic that is totally useless and beat it to death. It was started by a favre basher, go figure.

b bulldog
05-08-2006, 09:09 PM
fAVRE BASHER, WELL MAYBE DRIVER,COLLINS,BARNETT AND FRANKS SHOULDN'T SHOW EITHER. If that was the case, all of you would be pissing and moaning about it. Funny how some put the blinders on when it comes to 4.

Homer Jay
05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Is there even the slightest possibility that MM decided he wanted to give ARod and Martin as many reps as possible in the earlier mini camps because of their lack of experience. As far as working with the new receivers, they need to learn the offense more than they need to catch passes from Brett Favre in May. I wasn't at any meetings, so I don't know what was said by who. But that scenario makes sense to me.

billy_oliver880
05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey Billy, rastak stands for Rasta Kyle....long live reggae.

Yes long live reggae. :D

Joemailman
05-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I would like to see Favre there, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. From what I've read, Rodgers was getting most of the reps anyway. I think the mini-camps are primarily a way for the coaches to get familiar with the new players. The real preparation for the season takes place in training camp starting in July.

GoPackGo
05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
McCarthy has plenty of experience working with QB's and you just gotta trust his judgement at this point

MadtownPacker
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I believe another factor is Favre’s arm. After he got the tendonitis in 1999 or 2000 Sherman did not have him throw much until the season started. Even in the preseason he never plays until the last game or two. Maybe M3 knows he can’t use Favre up in practice this early?

b bulldog
05-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Favre's big buddy, Chris Havel has visited Brett on numerous occassions in MS and noticed that in his "gym", he has targets set up at different yardage levels and all this talk about Brett not throwing in the offseason is BS. He also stated that it isn't uncommon for Brett to throw to the local highschool football players.

MadtownPacker
05-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Favre's big buddy, Chris Havel has visited Brett on numerous occassions in MS and noticed that in his "gym", he has targets set up at different yardage levels and all this talk about Brett not throwing in the offseason is BS. He also stated that it isn't uncommon for Brett to throw to the local highschool football players.
Thats actually really cool man.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I think they should move training camp down to MS for Favre's last few years. Heck, that whole state is all Packer fans. They'd love it. And instead of riding kids bikes to and from practice, they can all pile on Brett's tractor.

MJZiggy
05-08-2006, 09:51 PM
I think they should move training camp down to MS for Favre's last few years. Heck, that whole state is all Packer fans. They'd love it. And instead of riding kids bikes to and from practice, they can all pile on Brett's tractor.

Now that would do wonders for the local post-Katrina economy. I wonder if they have any hotels running yet...

GBRulz
05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
fAVRE BASHER, WELL MAYBE DRIVER,COLLINS,BARNETT AND FRANKS SHOULDN'T SHOW EITHER. If that was the case, all of you would be pissing and moaning about it. Funny how some put the blinders on when it comes to 4.

If any of those don't show up, will you start a thread about each one of them, too?

pbmax
05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Minicamps are not voluntary according to the league. They are considered part of the contractually obligated season. New coaches get three minicamps, the rest of the teams get 2, McCarthy chose to forego the extra one before the draft.

Some OTAs are voluntary, most are not. And the offseason workout program is entirely voluntary, which is why coaches get so bent out of shape trying to Jedi mind trick the players into showing up.

ND72
05-08-2006, 10:18 PM
pbmax, i was going to say this as well. These mini camps are not voluntary. If i remember right, NFL teams are allowed 2 maditory, and one volunteer camp, if they don't use the volunteer camp they can use it towards something else later (again, not realy sure). BUT...these camps are not voluntary. Players do get fined for not being at the camps.

I did actually hear Brett was going to be using that weekend as an already planned weekend for a charity event for Hurricane Katrina people, specificially his mother. We should be happy he will be there for 10 of the 14 team activities which he hasnt' been at for years.

MJZiggy
05-08-2006, 10:23 PM
New coaches get three minicamps, the rest of the teams get 2, McCarthy chose to forego the extra one before the draft.

Perhaps I misunderstand. He didn't forgo the third minicamp, he just chose to schedule it after the draft so all the players were starting on the same page. He will still get two more minicamps this offseason.

And yes, the mini-camps and otas are mandatory, unless the coach tells you you don't have to be there. M3 said something this week about Favre's arm being 36 and not wanting to blow it out in the offseason.

And welcome to the forum, pbmax. Always great to hear new opinions.

mraynrand
05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Outside the Kiln, MS high school, they have a statue honoring Brett Favre, in honor of all his off season work throwing to the high school football players there:

http://ew2.lysator.liu.se/pic/art/o/r/ori/brokenfingers.jpg

GrnBay007
05-08-2006, 10:36 PM
wow, 2 pages, 38 replies in arguing whether or not Brett should be at mini camp and nobody really know the reason why he won't be there, right? :roll:

pbmax
05-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Hello and thanks ziggy. I am pretty sure McCarthy has only two minicamps scheduled, then the OTAs. Had he chosen to have the third, it likely would have been before the draft, for the vets, and you're right, rookies would have missed it.

The fact that Favre is excused to attend a previous engagement is fine. My concern is that he have as much time as possible to find who he can trust among his receivers. As his career is winding down, it seems like Favre has become less flexible in his approach to the team. And in a year with a lot of changes to the roster, that might not be the quickest route to winning again.

Then again, running routes in shorts and a helmet may not tell him anything. Just looking for good signs.

MJZiggy
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
You're right. That whole "shake hands and introduce yourself in the huddle before you try to get the ball to someone really wasn't working last year. How many of the otas did they decide Favre would attend? He does need to build up a little trust with someone other than Donald.

Bretsky
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Hello and thanks ziggy. I am pretty sure McCarthy has only two minicamps scheduled, then the OTAs. Had he chosen to have the third, it likely would have been before the draft, for the vets, and you're right, rookies would have missed it.

The fact that Favre is excused to attend a previous engagement is fine. My concern is that he have as much time as possible to find who he can trust among his receivers. As his career is winding down, it seems like Favre has become less flexible in his approach to the team. And in a year with a lot of changes to the roster, that might not be the quickest route to winning again.

I agree pb; the most important reason Favre needs to be around more than in the past is to develop chemistry with the new WR's. We can't afford him lofting the ball to DD every time he's in trouble this year because he figured nobody else is open. He already lacks trust in Fergy; these other WR's need to step up big for us to be competitive. And if the WR's step up, get open, and make some plays some of the bone head throws will not have to be made as well.

Tarlam!
05-09-2006, 01:17 AM
This is a team game. The team leader should be there. This is special treatment. Hawk is getting special treatment, because if he doesn't, he will negatively impact his life.

Favre should be concerned about the future of this team, as much as winning this year. He should be studying his new receivers, how they run routes, the angles they twist their bodies in the air and letting them know what to look for when he's moving in the pocket.

He can also be helping Rodgers and Martin to be better QB's. I know he's not paid to coach. I do stuff at work all the time that is not on my job description, I bet all of the readers on this forum do.

Favre should be there. It would underline his personal support for the new players and coaching staff, particularly in light of some of his off-season comments.

Noodle
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
At bottom, this is Favre being Favre. He's never liked camp. Holmgren used to complain that Favre was a pain in the ass at camp, always friggin' off. I suspect that had something to do with Sherman saying, "just stay home." And Favre has famously said that they don't need to pay him to play, but they do need to pay him to attend meetings.

That's a big part of why we love him. He's the perpetual big kid who isn't going to change. So to expect him now to be the elder statesman of the team is unrealistic.

And Tarlam, I agree with everything you said, but it just isn't in Favre to do it. Last year, there were a couple of articles about how Favre said it wasn't his job to get A-Rod ready. A-Rod said the right stuff in the press about it, but the fact is Favre apparently is not the mentoring type.

Favre is a competitor in a way that regular folks like us don't understand. If you want what's his, you're going to have to pry it out of his cold, dead hands. He's not going to help some punk take his job, and at the same time, he's not going to put up with what he sees as the boring BS of minicamp.

That's my amature analysis of the day, having had exactly 0 conversations with Favre.