PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker Optimistic

CaliforniaCheez
10-17-2007, 08:12 AM
West is winnable

On a sunglasses-and-visor-bright Monday afternoon, far removed from the shadows of Coors Field, the Broncos were trying to escape their public's feeling of gloom and doom.

Bad as it seems after a three-game losing streak and a 41-3 thrashing on Oct. 7 from rival San Diego, the Broncos can see rays of hope in the AFC West standings.

Not even one-third through their regular season, the Broncos are a mere half-game out of first place.

They are 2-3. The first-place Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers are 3-3.

"We're in a good position right now," said Javon Walker, the Broncos' top receiver who returns this week for the Sunday night home game against the Pittsburgh Steelers after missing the past two games with a knee injury.

"A lot of people are kind of down, but I've been in this position plenty of times before. We're right there in the hunt, and what better way to get going than with a big win against a good Pittsburgh team. It would give everybody's confidence back."

In the AFC West, the leaders have climbed not to a mountaintop, exactly. More like a pitcher's mound.

If the Rockies can overcome a 4 1/2- game deficit with 14 to play, why is so much anguish surrounding the Broncos when they are a half-game out with 11 to play?

"I look at the Rockies right now," said Broncos safety John Lynch, a former minor-league pitcher. "Getting bashed and same ol' Rockies and cheap management and all that. But I give those players credit because they stuck together. They kept believing and look where they're at now. We can all learn a lot from them."

The Broncos also can be thankful they're not playing in AFC divisions led by the 6-0 New England Patriots and 5-0 Indianapolis Colts. Geography, and an unexpected early season slump by the Chargers, have given the Broncos a chance.

"In the AFC West, every team is pretty much in the same boat," said Broncos cornerback Dré Bly. "We're right in it. We still continue to control our own destiny. We win the games we're supposed to, we'll be OK. I just think we need to re-establish who we are.

"In the first couple weeks, our confidence was flying sky high. We lost the last couple games at home, so it was a good time for the bye week. It allowed us to get healthy, allowed us to get some extra work and allowed us to regain that swagger we had. Not that we lost it."

So there's no misunderstanding, the Broncos haven't cut out the AFC West standings from The Denver Post and taped it to their bulletin board. Coach Mike Shanahan comes up with various motivational techniques each week in hopes of getting the most out of his team.

His ploys do not include mid-October standings, though.

"It's way too early," Shanahan said. "You take it game by game and try to get over the hump, very similar to what the Rockies did. You don't look at the long-range plan, you just take it day by day. You do that, you have a chance to get better. You start counting on games right now with 11 left, you'll be sitting at home."

Given their recent performances, and signs of resurgence in San Diego and Kansas City, the Broncos may not want to wait until after their Sunday game against the rough, tough Steelers before making a move.

As 2-3 teams go, the Broncos aren't eliciting discussion as the best 2-3 team in the NFL. Their overall points differential of minus-61 is the second-worst in the league. Only the St. Louis Rams (0-6) have been outscored more decisively.

The way the Broncos have been playing, their opponent, or parity within their division, is irrelevant. All that's relevant is fixing a defense that hasn't stopped the run, an offense that is scoring only 15.0 points a game, and special-team units that continuously leave poor starting field position for both the offense and defense.

In short, the Broncos should be concerned less about the Steelers and more about the Broncos.

"That's the way the good teams think, anyway," Lynch said. "You obviously study and respect your opponent, but ultimately it's about: Are we doing the little things right? The technique and the fundamentals. That's what wins in this league."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7188105

The team is 2-3 and facing the Steelers and Packers.

They are trying to talk themselves up but they really don't believe it.

Scott Campbell
10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I love the thought of Denver being eliminated from contention, and Javon sitting at home watching the Packers in the playoffs.

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
I was just thinking that very same thing...

Carolina_Packer
10-17-2007, 10:13 AM
and watching Greg Jennings catch a touchdown pass

Tarlam!
10-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I love the thought of Denver being eliminated from contention, and Javon sitting at home watching the Packers in the playoffs.

What Scott said.

Joemailman
10-17-2007, 04:18 PM
...and TT giving all our wide receivers contract extensions. :twisted:

Green Bud Packer
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Will the Packers cover Walker with Collins or will where he lines up determine who covers him?

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I'd imagine he draws either Harris or Woodson. It'll be interesting to see if All lobbies to cover him...

Badgepack
10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Speaking of the damn Broncos, what is up with Travis Henry's suspension?

mraynrand
10-17-2007, 06:00 PM
said Broncos cornerback Dré Bly: it was a good time for the bye week. It allowed us to regain that swagger we had. Not that we lost it."

sounds like some pointless self-contradictory thing Harlan would say - with feet firmly planted on both sides of the fence.

retailguy
10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Speaking of the damn Broncos, what is up with Travis Henry's suspension?

Three more weeks until he gets his "day in court". that should be a very short "day", I'd think.

Packers4Ever
10-17-2007, 06:46 PM
[quote="Scott Campbell"]I love the thought of Denver being eliminated from contention, and Javon sitting at home watching the Packers in the playoffs.[/quote

Puts a smile/grin on the face of
every Packer backer, doesn't it? :D

LL2
10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
I want to see Javon get 1 catch for 7 yards the entire game. I'd like to see that game be a statement game where the Packers win 35-10. The Bears game could've been that type of game.

mmmdk
10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Not so fun fact; Packers have never won at Denver. :shock:

3irty1
10-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I want to see Javon get 1 catch for 7 yards the entire game. I'd like to see that game be a statement game where the Packers win 35-10. The Bears game could've been that type of game.

Can't wait to put that in my sig :)

Scott Campbell
10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
sounds like some pointless self-contradictory thing Harlan would say - with feet firmly planted on both sides of the fence.

He would NEVER, EVER do that, much of the time.

MasonCrosby
10-17-2007, 08:01 PM
i'd like to see one of those trademark bigby hits we're all coming to know and love just laid right on walker in the first quarter as he tries to make his first catch. y'know, just something to say hello.... :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Not so fun fact; Packers have never won at Denver. :shock:

There is a first time for all things.