PDA

View Full Version : Koren Robinson Reinstated

BallHawk
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was suspended for one year for violating terms of the NFL's substance abuse policy, has been reinstated and can return to practice immediately, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

Robinson's suspension came in the wake of an incident in August 2006 while he was playing for the Minnesota Vikings.

Police said Robinson led them on a car chase at speeds over 100 mph, and his blood-alcohol content was found to be 0.11 percent, above the legal limit of 0.08. The Vikings cut Robinson, and he signed a two-year deal with the Packers in September.

However, he played in only four games before he was suspended.

In February, Robinson was sentenced to 90 days in jail after pleading down to a charge of fleeing police. Robinson also was sentenced to three months in jail for violating probation on a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

BlueBrewer
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Nice, Drunk Driver is back to team with Don Driver making the Green Bay Receiving threat more dangerous.... All joking aside I think this is great for the Packers. He and Favre obviously developed a rapport and he should help take the pressure off of Jones. I wonder how many weeks it will take him to get into playing shape?

Freak Out
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Nice, Drunk Driver is back to team with Don Driver making the Green Bay Receiving threat more dangerous.... All joking aside I think this is great for the Packers. He and Favre obviously developed a rapport and he should help take the pressure off of Jones. I wonder how many weeks it will take him to get into playing shape?

Well the oh so reliable internet packer chatting news mongers claim he is in the best shape of his life.

Badgepack
10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
That gives us 5 true receivers on the squad which is real nice in case someone goes down.

RIPackerFan
10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he is back returning punts instead of Woodson in Denver and being the number 4 reciever (assuming he is in shape).

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Well the oh so reliable internet packer chatting news mongers claim he is in the best shape of his life.

That's what they always say. I still don't think it will take him too long before he's able to run, catch and take a hit. Not like he's never done it before. And not like he's never done it before with Brett. It will be interesting so see how long of a roster grace period he gets and how he's utilized by the team...

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Nice, Drunk Driver is back to team with Don Driver making the Green Bay Receiving threat more dangerous....

Not very christian of you, Blue.

Oh, you may be riding high, but someday you too may take a fall. It is harder to meekly inherit the earth than to put a needle into the eye of a rich camel, my friend.

3irty1
10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
The thought I read in the paper that k-rob was using Favres personal trainer. I thought it said he was running routes with Tim Rattay to be in playing shape.

Carolina_Packer
10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Oh, you may be riding high, but someday you too may take a fall. It is harder to meekly inherit the earth than to put a needle into the eye of a rich camel, my friend.

Very "imbiblical" of you.

Tarlam!
10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Can he play TE?

How much did Brett's comments help?

BlueBrewer
10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Nice, Drunk Driver is back to team with Don Driver making the Green Bay Receiving threat more dangerous....

Are you high????

packinpatland
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
If Vinny Testeverde can come off the couch at his age, and play, then surely Robinson can do it.

MadtownPacker
10-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Oh, you may be riding high, but someday you too may take a fall. It is harder to meekly inherit the earth than to put a needle into the eye of a rich camel, my friend.Shut your stupid ass up. This thread is about a drunk ass SOB getting a second chance in the NFL and maybe in life. Dont cry just cuz you never got your first chance sorry ass bitch.

Rastak
10-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Oh, you may be riding high, but someday you too may take a fall. It is harder to meekly inherit the earth than to put a needle into the eye of a rich camel, my friend.Shut your stupid ass up. This thread is about a drunk ass SOB getting a second chance in the NFL and maybe in life. Dont cry just cuz you never got your first chance sorry ass bitch.

Seattle gave him his first and second chance, Minnesota his third...I think this is chance number four.

Merlin
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
According to Packers News, Thompson is requesting a roster exemption for Robinson to the Packers can determine his football shape. They also reported that Robinson was working out in Arizona and is flying into Green Bay tonight.

MadtownPacker
10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Seattle gave him his first and second chance, Minnesota his third...I think this is chance number four.But isnt this the first time the NFL has suspended him with no guarantee of being allowed back?

Merlin
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Green Bay seems to be the "fix" for a lot of problem players. If they become a problem while in Green Bay, they are cast off to another team in a hurry. Although that was the past. I am surprised so far how quiet Barnett's deal has been. Even though it's a raw deal, the media usually likes to jump on every small thing.

Rastak
10-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Seattle gave him his first and second chance, Minnesota his third...I think this is chance number four.But isnt this the first time the NFL has suspended him with no guarantee of being allowed back?

Yea, it's the fourth chance that an NFL team gave him.

vince
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Congratulations to Koren Robinson for working through his personal and legal issues and seemingly overcoming his addictions. Here's hoping he can continue to be of sober mind and body!

Carolina_Packer
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
It's like getting something and giving up nothing at the trade deadline, especially when we could use a boost offensively. I agree, here's hoping the guy's problems are in his rear view mirror and getting smaller as he moves forward.

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 02:45 PM
We know he's on the edge--he knows he's on the edge. I think everyone can agree on that because if he screws up again he's out. I don't think this is a willpower or "just don't screw up." His success is going to depend on the kind of support he has as far as his friends, family, his rehab and who he can rely on when he doesn't feel like he can rely on himself. That's not something we can answer without knowing him intimately, therefore I'm not willing to worry about it right now. The worst that can happen is we lose his services again.

Ballboy
10-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Real question here should be, who gets cut to make room for him.

Per the league, we get a roster expemton for him to practice into shape, once we activate him for a game we need to cut someone.

Who could it be?

Carolina_Packer
10-17-2007, 03:00 PM
I'd have to guess Bodiford.

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Orrin Thompson?

pittstang5
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Real question here should be, who gets cut to make room for him.

Per the league, we get a roster expemton for him to practice into shape, once we activate him for a game we need to cut someone.

Who could it be?

OR....they put someone on IR - Maybe Blackmon if they determine it'll take too long for him to get back.

Patler
10-17-2007, 03:09 PM
There is always the chance an injury makes the change a "no-brainer"

Blackmon is a wait and see right now. They may decide his recovery is long term.
Montgomery has yet to be active or even practice much. I'm not sure he has a future in GB anyway.
Who knows what Bubba's situation will turn out to be, or even Walker's.

Him8123
10-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I say they cut chris francies, is he still on the team? I like bodiford better than him. and i think Tramon Williams has shown he can be pretty good and improve.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
WR Robinson reinstated by NFL
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - One year to the day that Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson was suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse program, commissioner Roger Goodell informed him that he was back in the league.

Goodell met with Robinson Sunday in a face-to-face meeting - in all places University of Phoenix Stadium in Phoenix - to discuss the receiver's possible reinstatement. On Wednesday, Robinson received a letter from Goodell informing him that his one-year suspension was over and he was free to resume his career.

In order to be reinstated, Robinson had to comply with a strict program that included testing for alcohol use up to 10 times per month. Any violation of the testing would have put Robinson's reinstatement in serious jeopardy, but he apparently kept clean for the year he was out of football.

"Before our conversation was over, I had a feeling he was going to reinstate me, but he had some strong words," Robinson said in a phone interview as he packed to fly to his permanent home in Raleigh, N.C. "He said, 'Most importantly, don't let yourself down, but also don't let your parents down, don't let the NFL down and don't let me down."'

At that point, Goodell indicated to Robinson he would be reinstated, but official word of it did not come until he received the letter.

The impromptu meeting came when Goodell came to Phoenix, where Robinson has spent the past two months training, and called him on his cell phone. Goodell told Robinson he was at the Arizona Cardinals-Carolina Panthers game and wanted to meet with him.

"I told him I'm at the game, too," Robinson said.

Stadium officials arranged for Goodell and Robinson to meet in a room in the bowels of the stadium where they met to discuss Robinson's reinstatement. Goodell was stern and told him that this was his last chance. One more violation of the substance abuse program and Robinson will be suspended for life.

Robinson was suspended for a year after multiple arrests for alcohol-related crimes, the most recent stemming from a high-speed chase on his way back to Minnesota Vikings training camp in Mankato, Minn., in 2006. Robinson was released by the Vikings a short time later, and signed by general manager Ted Thompson, who had a previous relationship with Robinson in Seattle.

Robinson played in four games for the Packers and was just getting acclimated when the suspension came down. Since then he has not been allowed to have contact with the Packers. He has served two different jail terms over the past year as a result of the alcohol-related charges.

Robinson filed for reinstatement to the league in August and had been waiting to hear from the commissioner.

"I felt like I did everything I needed to do in order to cope with or get through this situation I put myself in that led me on this crazy path," Robinson said. "I'm able to cope with things differently. I know how to avoid those situations that aren't positive. If they're not positive, I'm not going to be around that and if you're not positive I don't need you to be around me."

Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, said Robinson was prohibited from drinking alcohol and was subject to as many as 10 drug tests a month. He said if Robinson had taken a drink of alcohol the NFL would have known about it.

"He wasn't supposed to drink, that goes without saying," Keels said. "The same testing procedures he was under when he was in the league remained. In order to be reinstated he had to comply and follow the program. There is little room for error. Koren's done an outstanding job of doing what they asked him to do."

Robinson attended Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, met with therapists and received support from family and friends. He said he took his recovery seriously and plans to continue receiving treatment when the re-joins the Packers.

During the months he wasn't serving time or working out in Phoenix with quarterback Brett Favre's personal trainer, Ken Croner, Robinson was in Green Bay, working on setting up a support system for his return. He said he doesn't fear returning to football and the culture of professional athletics.

"I'm definitely trying to start fresh," Robinson said. "I'm not trying to go back, but I'm not going to forget either."

Robinson is scheduled to arrive in Green Bay this week to begin getting acclimated with the Packers' offense. Because it's the bye week, he won't be able to take part in a practice until the team returns on Monday.

After being notified by the league, Thompson released a statement through the team's public relations department.

"The league has informed us that Koren Robinson has been reinstated," Thompson said. "It's been a year since we've seen Koren, so our first step is to have him return to Green Bay. The Packers will request a roster exemption, during which time we would see where Koren is at in terms of football shape.

"We are aware how difficult this past year has been for Koren, but the Packers are grateful for the progress he's made, as evidenced by this reinstatement."

Keels said he couldn't speak for the Packers as to what their plans were with Robinson. But it's likely they'll start him out as kickoff returner - a position where he earned a Pro Bowl berth with the Vikings in 2005 - and gradually work him into the receiver rotation.

"I think he's in the right situation," Keels said. "He'll have a lot of support in Green Bay from the front office and his teammates. There's always a chance he'll have a relapse, but I really think he has truly changed his way of life. I'm confident he has put his past behind him."

Robinson said he can't wait to get on the field and he's hoping that he can play in the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos Oct. 29. He spoke with quarterback Brett Favre after finding out he was going to be reinstated and was thrilled to hear the Favre was looking forward to having him back.

"He's happy for me," Robinson said. "He supports me, and that makes me feel good when Brett Favre thinks highly of you. It's telling me I'm doing things right."

Lurker64
10-17-2007, 03:32 PM
This is good to hear. I hope that Robinson can get his life back together. I also hope that he can score about 50 touchdowns this year.

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
How 'bout just one really good "eff you" one against the Pats? He does that, I'll call it a successful season. (well, that and some good kick returns)

Brohm
10-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Bodiford is a beast as a ST wedge buster. I would try to keep him around if at all possible.

KYPack
10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he is back returning punts instead of Woodson in Denver and being the number 4 reciever (assuming he is in shape).

That's what I'm hopin', RIP

KR can do both KR & PR. Get him effective on PR quickly. CW will get hurt if we keep him back there on that job.

He will help Jones & Jennings. Another vet can help the young guys learn some tricks. We could have a wicked 4 receiver set, also.

KRob's a helluva player. Hopefully he's sick of going to jail and will get a driver (Not Don).

Cheesehead Craig
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
It's like getting something and giving up nothing at the trade deadline, especially when we could use a boost offensively. I agree, here's hoping the guy's problems are in his rear view mirror and getting smaller as he moves forward.
+1

Partial
10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
The thought I read in the paper that k-rob was using Favres personal trainer. I thought it said he was running routes with Tim Rattay to be in playing shape.

Since when do you read about football? Quite a change in two years. I am pleased with that.

3irty1
10-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Since when do you read about football? Quite a change in two years. I am pleased with that.

Since the Brewers were out of it I guess :cry:

Green Bud Packer
10-17-2007, 04:18 PM
The Pack has just gotten better.

K-Rob might not be Randy Moss but he's better than Jennings, Jones, Martin and Bodiford.

He would have caught two of the underthrown balls that Jennings did'nt.

Kinda reminds me of story about another guy we picked up on waivers from the queens.

The Leaper
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Robinson is a good player...it'll take him a month to get up to speed, but the time he got in the system before being suspended last year will help him out a lot.

He's the kind of big target we need to open up the passing game on the sidelines. 4 WR sets will become much more potent now.

3irty1
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
The worst that can happen is we lose his services again.

I'd say the worst thing that can happen is that he falls off the wagon kills someone while drunk driving or even ruins his life in some other way.

Joemailman
10-17-2007, 04:23 PM
According to Packers News, Thompson is requesting a roster exemption for Robinson to the Packers can determine his football shape. They also reported that Robinson was working out in Arizona and is flying into Green Bay tonight.

Well, if he's flying into Green Bay, he must be in great shape. :rs: Hope his arms don't get tired. :rs:

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
The worst that can happen is we lose his services again.

I'd say the worst thing that can happen is that he falls off the wagon kills someone while drunk driving or even ruins his life in some other way.

I was speaking strictly as to how it affects team play. Of course that's not the worst that could happen off field.

Guiness
10-17-2007, 04:35 PM

Yea, it's the fourth chance that an NFL team gave him.

That would make it his fifth, wouldn't it? Fourth was his first go-round with us...although I guess he did get suspended for what happened while on chance number three :?

I can't see it being Bodiford that goes. Wasn't it him that forced a couple of those fumbles? I think he's found a spot. And I do hope he takes over PR duties. I absolutely HATE seeing Woodson back there.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
K-Rob might not be Randy Moss but he's better than Jennings, Jones, Martin and Bodiford.

I don't think he's better than Jennings. Even in his good years, he dropped a ton of balls. That, as much as the alcohol problems, got him shipped out of Seattle. Right now, he's better than Jones. He'll be a good addition as a #3 or #4 receiver. I hope he makes it--for him and the team. He can help--especially as a return man. He's also great insurance for an injury at the position.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Wasn't it him that forced a couple of those fumbles?

No, that was Jarrett Bush. He wasn't even with the team the first few weeks.

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Are you high????

Dumb.

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 05:16 PM

And Dumber

Carolina_Packer
10-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I thought HH was just being funny. Ironical, you might say.

BF4MVP
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Time to dig up the ol' avatar from last season :D

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
I thought HH was just being funny. Ironical, you might say.

God Bless You Carolina. Now, I'm getting all emtional. :cry: :cry:
:D

How about a hug?

Jimx29
10-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Congratulations to Koren Robinson for working through his personal and legal issues and seemingly overcoming his addictions. Here's hoping he can continue to be of sober mind and body!

http://i20.tinypic.com/vfz9fd.gif

RashanGary
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm not counting on Koren Robinson. MAYBE he can make our ST's better. Other than that, he hasn't been a great football player. It's not like we just added another Donald DRiver. I doubt he'll be as good as James Jones.

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm not counting on Koren Robinson. MAYBE he can make our ST's better. Other than that, he hasn't been a great football player. It's not like we just added another Donald DRiver. I doubt he'll be as good as James Jones.

I beg to differ. Please, may I differ? Please? Pretty please?

Robinson is gonna add some MUCH needed speed. And the return game will get a hell of a boost.
There's a reason why Favre is talking so much about the guy, arranging for him to work with his personal trainer.

Joemailman
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Damn Harlan, when did you get religion? I thought everybody was a commie atheist where you come from.

Partial
10-17-2007, 05:54 PM

I don't think he's better than Jennings. Even in his good years, he dropped a ton of balls. That, as much as the alcohol problems, got him shipped out of Seattle. Right now, he's better than Jones. He'll be a good addition as a #3 or #4 receiver. I hope he makes it--for him and the team. He can help--especially as a return man. He's also great insurance for an injury at the position.

I seem to recall him being quite fast in his days in Seattle. He is also pretty thick in the upper body. He is 6'1" so he has decent size. I think they'll use him as their deep threat along with Jennings.

ND72
10-17-2007, 06:11 PM

I beg to differ. Please, may I differ? Please? Pretty please?

Robinson is gonna add some MUCH needed speed. And the return game will get a hell of a boost.
There's a reason why Favre is talking so much about the guy, arranging for him to work with his personal trainer.

Gotta side with Huck on this one. He made some tough catches last year in limited time and was starting ot be a bit of a spark for our offense as a #3 reciever, and is a very solid kick returner. I think he's going to add a ton to our offense and special teams. Personally, I would take Chuck Woodson off of PR. We're 1 injury away from being scary BAD in our secondary, and we can't afford to lose Chuck.

BF4MVP
10-17-2007, 06:31 PM
No, Koren has never been a "great" player, but he's been a good one..At one point in his career, he was putting up numbers similar to Driver's. Plus, from a pure talent standpoint, he may have more talent than any receiver on our roster (size, speed, hands, etc)..He'll help on special teams obviously, but I think we can find a spot for him in the offense too..

RashanGary
10-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Those are his recieving yards by year

I think he had like 400 in Minny.

It would be nice if he could return to the 1200 form, but I doubt that will happen. We'll see. I hope he proves me wrong, but I have more hope in both Jones and Jennings than I do Robinson.

RashanGary
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
On the bright side, he's only 27 (two years younger than Walker) so he has 10 games to get in shape/up to speed and maybe make a difference in the playoffs. He's young enough to be able to get his body together in a short amount of time.

IF he gets his head together, he could be a nice player for us for the next 3 or 4 years. That's a pretty big if though and even when he was playing he wasn't great so it's not like we have some Randy Moss type gem here.

MJZiggy
10-17-2007, 07:36 PM
And in other news Ingle Martin has been added to the Titans' practice squad...

esoxx
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
When has Robinson ever been a punt returner??? He made the Pro Bowl due to his kick return skills, there is a difference. I don't see him coming in and handling any punt return duties.

He'll help in the WR corp more than anything. Hope he can stay clean.

Rastak
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
When has Robinson ever been a punt returner??? He made the Pro Bowl due to his kick return skills, there is a difference. I don't see him coming in and handling any punt return duties.

I don't think he was Essox. He did have one good year as a KR. As Harvey mentioned he drops balls, or at least did in Seattle. In Minnesota he really didn't have enough thrown his way to tell. That might be behind him now. He was very well thought of coming out of college.

Guiness
10-17-2007, 08:21 PM
On the bright side, he's only 27 (two years younger than Walker) so he has 10 games to get in shape/up to speed and maybe make a difference in the playoffs. He's young enough to be able to get his body together in a short amount of time.

IF he gets his head together, he could be a nice player for us for the next 3 or 4 years. That's a pretty big if though and even when he was playing he wasn't great so it's not like we have some Randy Moss type gem here.

Wow, only 27? That's good. Really, he should just be entering his prime. He's been in trouble so many times, it seems like he'd been around a lot longer than that!

Guiness
10-17-2007, 08:23 PM

Some one want to tell me what the difference is between these two duties??? I never understood different guys doing these roles - seem similar enough to me.

Rastak
10-17-2007, 08:25 PM

Some one want to tell me what the difference is between these two duties??? I never understood different guys doing these roles - seem similar enough to me.

I'm no expert but it seems to me as a PR you have guys immediately on you and shiftyness and burst is the order of the day. As a KR you want burst but also straight line speed and the ability to hit the one seem fast.

Damn Hester has both.... :(

MadtownPacker
10-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm no expert but it seems to me as a PR you have guys immediately on you and shiftyness and burst is the order of the day. As a KR you want burst but also straight line speed and the ability to hit the one seem fast.

Damn Hester has both.... :(Your boy AP had more burst them him last week. :lol: Damn I hate that SOB!

ZachMN
10-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I think he will be able to help stretch the field for us; maybe I'm wrong....that's why we play the games.

KYPack
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Man, I thought he returned punts for US.

He's returned 2 when he was with Minny soda a few seasons back.

I'm with ND, I want Woodson's ass off ST like last week. We cannot afford to lose either corner. Those guys are supporting a lot of what we do on D.

RashanGary
10-17-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/10/17/1/

Wow, either Robinson is sippin his own kool aid or he'll have me eating my words within his first couple games back.

Rastak
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM

Damn Hester has both.... :(Your boy AP had more burst them him last week. :lol: Damn I hate that SOB!

Sorry, thread jack....

Yea, I'm not sure he's suited for PR but maybe.......damn....he is quick to change direction after getting through the first line. I heard an interview on Monday where he said Tillman told him after slamming him down for a loss his first carry, or near the first "This ain't college rook"....so Peterson says "Guess we'll find out". He's pretty soft spoken and doesn't say much.

Back to Robinson. I really don't recall him returning punts much but I agree with KY that Woodson probably isn't the best choice if you can find a good alternative.

Old Tillman was chasing his back after that.

4and12to12and4
10-17-2007, 09:35 PM
He has enormous potential, is fast as hell, and can be a deep threat, I say we activate him, deactivate Morency (he's worthless) and say to hell with it and go with the run and shoot. Put one back in there here and there for extra blocking, or a DT and just pass the friggin' ball every damn down. Five receivers every play. To hell with it. Driver, JJ, Jennings, Ruvell, and Koren with a TE or two. Favre will find someone almost every play. To hell with the run. Let's redefine the sport, and make Brett a folklore. :wink:

falco
10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
rastak, AP gives the vikes a lot to look forward to. just don't waste him like the lions wasted barry sanders.

now you just need a new coach.

Rastak
10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
He has enormous potential, is fast as hell, and can be a deep threat, I say we activate him, deactivate Morency (he's worthless) and say to hell with it and go with the run and shoot. Put one back in there here and there for extra blocking, or a DT and just pass the friggin' ball every damn down. Five receivers every play. To hell with it. Driver, JJ, Jennings, Ruvell, and Koren with a TE or two. Favre will find someone almost every play. To hell with the run. Let's redefine the sport, and make Brett a folklore. :wink:

I don't know that I'd say he has enormous potential. The guy is what he is. He is what he's shown. He's been in the league for years.

Run and shoot is interesting though...... :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Robinson isn't really a speed receiver. He had solid speed coming out, but he's lost some of that. He has good size, runs good routes, and has decent speed. He's not really a stretch the field type at this point.

RashanGary
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Around playoff time, after Robinson gets into a rythm with Brett and our offense, I think he can be a real contributor.

Driver, Jennings, Jones and Robinson are a very good group of WR's. Driver is a #1 and the rest are #2's on many teams. It would be very hard for teams to cover everybody. All they need is a run game that is better than awfull and the offense will be complete.

4and12to12and4
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Robinson isn't really a speed receiver. He had solid speed coming out, but he's lost some of that. He has good size, runs good routes, and has decent speed. He's not really a stretch the field type at this point.

That's what everyone was saying about Moss.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Who? Not me. Moss doesn't have the speed he once had (did you see him in '98?), but he was so ridiculously fast that losing a little bit of speed didn't cost him much. I think most that argued against Moss thought 1) he can be an asshat that would ruin the chemistry of the team, 2) he was injury prone in his old age, 3) he had to go to the right situation to succeed. Who knows if Green Bay would have been the right situation. Maybe. Maybe not.

4and12to12and4
10-17-2007, 10:57 PM

Who? Not me. Moss doesn't have the speed he once had (did you see him in '98?), but he was so ridiculously fast that losing a little bit of speed didn't cost him much. I think most that argued against Moss thought 1) he can be an asshat that would ruin the chemistry of the team, 2) he was injury prone in his old age, 3) he had to go to the right situation to succeed. Who knows if Green Bay would have been the right situation. Maybe. Maybe not.

Well, I heard plenty of people say he had lost his speed and was too old. Maybe not you, but plenty of others thought he was washed up. So, who knows, maybe Koren's got some juice left. Even if he could better our return game. I was really high on Tramone Williams after preseason, I thought he was going to break a few and average over 25 a return, boy has he disappointed me.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Williams has done fine. The blocking hasn't been there. I didn't like Williams in the preseason. He let too many punts hit the ground and fumbled another, but I like what I've seen in the regular season. I think he and Robinson could make a good combination.

Robinson never had anywhere close to the speed that Moss had coming out.

With precious little time now to rehabilitate his draft status, North Carolina State star Koren Robinson, rated by some franchises as the top wide receiver prospect available in the 2001 draft, might have run himself out of top 10 status with a Thursday campus workout termed "brutal" by one scout in attendance.

Running on an indoor, rubberized track conducive to posting an excellent time, Robinson was clocked by three scouts to whom SportsLine.com spoke at between 4.59-4.63 seconds in the 40-yard dash. The 40 time was critical for Robinson, because he did not run at the combine in February and pulled up after 30 yards with a strained hamstring in an earlier campus audition.

This isn't to say he's slow. He's shown he has decent speed, but I think he's more like an Anquan Boldin--a guy that plays faster than he times.

MadtownPacker
10-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Robinson's current reinstatement is his last chance, and another misstep will result in lifetime banishment from the league.
Thats what I meant by last chance. He is does it this time or his is finished.

GrnBay007
10-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Robinson's current reinstatement is his last chance, and another misstep will result in lifetime banishment from the league.
Thats what I meant by last chance. He is does it this time or his is finished.

I really wish the best for him. Problems with alcohol can be really tough to beat.

Guiness
10-18-2007, 12:37 AM
maybe Koren's got some juice left.

At 27, he really shouldn't have lost a step! The only reason I can think that he may have is if he drank heavily enough to wear his body down.

woodbuck27
10-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Good nrws !

Now MM can relieve C.Woodson of punt return duties, for which he is not a threat to opposing teams and try Koren Robinson.

It will not be many weeks before we see him on the field in a game.

We have a possible legit NO. 2 or 3 WR (in KR). . .

but who falls to the wayside is the question.

I hope Ruvell Martin survives K.Robinson. RM generally impresses me.

I believe he (R. Martin) can serve a bigger role.

GO PACK !

KYPack
10-18-2007, 07:52 AM
maybe Koren's got some juice left.

At 27, he really shouldn't have lost a step! The only reason I can think that he may have is if he drank heavily enough to wear his body down.

One of those articles said he was 203. This year off to essentially work out and heal his body could really help him. 27 is a prime time for any athlete. He could really help us like crazy.

The Leaper
10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Robinson is NOT a deep threat.

However, he has the speed to be a factor up the sidelines to take advantage of defenses that are keying on the slants. He also has size in that regard that Jennings doesn't have. He's probably more comparable to Jones...Jones has more strength and better hands, but Koren has greater experience and a little more speed.

His hands are a question mark, but you also have to recognize that the circumstances he has been through are likely to change him in some manner. This guy knows it is his last shot in the NFL...I think his concentration level overall is going to be higher than it was 3-4 years ago when he was more or less still a kid.

Robinson has more natural talent to be a WR than either Jennings or Jones. Whether he can put it together, I don't know.

The Leaper
10-18-2007, 08:12 AM
We have a possible legit NO. 2 or 3 WR (in KR). . .

Possible? I think he is a bona fide #2 receiver, although it will take him 4-6 weeks to get back into the flow of things.

Favre isn't just giddy because his Wranglers were a little tighter in the seat this morning.

run pMc
10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
KoRo is a prototypical WCO receiver: has good size, some speed, good YAC ability. He's not a real burner, speed-wise, but he plays fast like GJ. Some of the coaches might argue he's the most naturally talented WR on the roster. Whether he has his head right is the question. He says all the right things in the JSO article. I hope it's true.
Even if his career is over, I hope he's turned his life around.

IIRC, he was a KR for MIN. PR are different...you have to deal with 11 guys circling you like sharks waiting to hit the snot out of you the second the ball touches your fingers. KR get a head start w/ more breathing room. Both jobs require the player has a certain talent for it, but they are slightly different talents.

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Robinson has more natural talent to be a WR than either Jennings or Jones. Whether he can put it together, I don't know.

Not true, IMO. Jennings is a good notch or two faster and is more natural at the position.

Robinson is pretty much another James Jones. Jones is a mid 4.6 guy. Robinson is a low 4.6 guy, with age probably about even with Jones.

Jennings is a legit 4.4 guy with top notch ball skills.

I'd say Jones and Robinson are about even with Jennings grading out a good notch higher (depending on health)

Regardless, we have Driver, a good #2 in Jennings and two other servicable #2's in Robinson and Jones. I'd say our 4 WR set should be pretty effective.

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Why do people put Jennings speed in the same class as Jones and Robinson? Jennings is a legit 4.4 and the other two are 4.6 guys. That is a huge difference. One is on the fast end of the WR spectrum adn the other two are on the slow end.

BlueBrewer
10-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Are you high????

Dumb.

Did you read the rest of my post you idiot?

The Leaper
10-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Not true, IMO. Jennings is a good notch or two faster and is more natural at the position.

One notch faster, I'll give you. Certainly not two notches. Robinson also seems to me to be a notch faster than Jones, and probably is naturally more elusive. The guy was a first round pick...he has some damn good physical talent.

Jennings may be more natural, but he is very small and prone to injury. He seems to struggle running sideline routes because of his size. He is more comfortable running slants and crossing patterns that allow him to work in space. One-on-one battles for the ball are not his forte, and that is where Robinson's talent comes in handy.

I do agree Robinson is more like Jones...and his experience will be a huge boost in that regard. Jones is a tremendous young talent, but needs at least a year to gain experience before you can expect to get consistent production from him. Robinson will be more dependable...and a good guy for Jones to learn from.

The biggest problem with Jennings is that he is too much like Driver. We need the Jones/Robinson guys out there too. Having two small receivers out there isn't a good idea when you are running a WCO predicated on tossing the ball into tight places where receivers are going to get hit.

The Leaper
10-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Why do people put Jennings speed in the same class as Jones and Robinson? Jennings is a legit 4.4 and the other two are 4.6 guys. That is a huge difference. One is on the fast end of the WR spectrum adn the other two are on the slow end.

WTF are you talking about JH?

Robinson was a legit 4.4 guy coming out of college. You sure as hell don't get taken as the NUMBER NINE OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT!!!!!! as a 4.6 receiver. Granted, he's probably not that fast anymore...but he certainly is faster than Jones.

Get your head out of your ass. You are discrediting the talent of Robinson...and I'm not sure why.

Carolina_Packer
10-18-2007, 09:06 AM
To me it doesn't matter who wins a 40 race if they were to all line up. It matters who gets off the line, who runs good routes, who gets open, who catches everything thrown their way (or virtually), and who has the toughness, and skill to get some extra yards. That's how this offense moves, not so much vertically.

Don't you feel good about our 4 WR sets now? Man oh man!

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Fastest WR would be a 4.35
Slowest would be a 4.75

There is a difference of 0.4 between the fastest and slowest.

0.4 seconds divided by 10 (for a 10 scale) = 0.04 seconds

Scale

4.35 - 10
4.39 - 9
4.43 - 8
4.47 - 7
4.51 - 6
4.55 - 5
4.59 - 4
4.63 - 3
4.67 - 2
4.71 - 1
4.75 - 0

Jennings (4.48) is a 7 based on combine times (on a somewhat fast track)

Robinson (4.61) is between a 3 and a 4 based on a fast track. I'd call him a 3 because on a normal track he'd probably drop a notch

Jones (4.60) is a 4 because his was on a somewhat fast track, but not a rubber track like Robinson

If you were to grade them on a 10 scale, Jennings is 3 or 4 notchs better than those guys. If you grade it on a 5 scale, he's 1.5 - 2 notches better. If you were to grade it on a 3 scale, fast average or slow, Jennings would faster than average and the other two would be slower than average. I guess in that way it would only be one notch, but it would be one big notch.

Watching them play, Jennings clearly has game breaking ability. I havn't seen that out of the other two.

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
OK, I take back what I just said Leaper. I just did some research and apparently Robinson wasn't healthy for his workouts. He ran a 4.6, but most felt he was much less than 100% and were going to draft him based on how he played, not how he timed when injured.

Robinson and Jennings are probably pretty close with this in mind.

The Leaper
10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Robinson and Jennings are probably pretty close with this in mind.

I think Jennings has an edge. Don't get me wrong. He should...he's younger and smaller. Jennings is more quick than fast to me. He probably has better acceleration than most WRs, but he lacks that top gear that elite speed guys have.

I just think Robinson has tremendous physical talent for the receiver position...especially in the WCO. If he has matured as a person through all his ordeals, he likely will also mature as a player. He is a bona fide #2 receiver...and will be a HUGE benefit to this offense if he keeps himself clean and gets back up to speed. He is similar to Freeman in terms of size, but faster.

To me, Jennings and Robinson are probably similar in terms of their ability to make an impact. I just like Robinson from the standpoint that he offers strengths in areas where Driver and Jennings can struggle...getting separation because of size/strength and jump ball situations.

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Jennings is mid 4.4s. Robinson, based on how he played when he was young, is probably around a 4.5 guy. Not a whole lot of difference. However, that was counter to the people that make him out to be some type of speed demon that could stretch the field. Jones is a step slower than those guys. They all have their strengths.

Jennings runs the best routes, is the fastest, and has the most instincts. On the downside: he is smalled and might be injury prone.

Jones is the strongest and probably has the best hands. On the downside: he's not fast and is still raw with his skills. He'll improve.

Robinson has the best combination of the two. He's not overly fast, but he has enough speed to run any route (like Jennings and Driver). On the downside, his hands are probably the worst of the three.

They all are relatively even. Jennings and Robinson are close. Jones is probably third best because of the experience factor. I don't think it's clearcut that Robinson is better than Jennings, when healthy.

The Leaper
10-18-2007, 09:44 AM
They all are relatively even. Jennings and Robinson are close. Jones is probably third best because of the experience factor. I don't think it's clearcut that Robinson is better than Jennings, when healthy.

I would agree. I think Jones is a step behind the other two with certainty. He has great potential, but still has a lot to learn.

Robinson CAN be better than Jennings. He certainly won't be right away due to having a year off. If he takes his last chance to heart, he has the physical ability to be a 1200/8 guy every year with Favre at QB. I'm not sure Jennings has that kind of ability...he certainly doesn't seem to have the durability to do that consistently at this point.

He's not Moss, but Robinson is the kind of experienced veteran who would have been a good FA pickup. You have to like the Packers chances of success if Robinson contributes like his talent should allow him to.

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
If I had to rate the WR's this year

Driver
Jennings
Robinson
Jones

Next year

Driver
Jennings
Robinson/Jones

Jennings has potential to be a #1 WR. I think Robinson and Jones are career #2's.

MJZiggy
10-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Talk to me about Jennings' speed the day someone catches him from behind because I don't recall having seen it happen yet.

Screw it, just give me the guy that can score the touchdowns. If they all can, then spread the ball around without worrying about #1,2, or 3. I don't care about that. I just want that camera shot of their cute little asses running into the end zone.

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
keep in mind there is a very good chance that one of Driver, Jones or Jennings will be injured before the end of the regular season.

Having one excellent backup for three positions is no extravagance, it might be critical.

Carolina_Packer
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
keep in mind there is a very good chance that one of Driver, Jones or Jennings will be injured before the end of the regular season.

Having one excellent backup for three positions is no extravagance, it might be critical.

That's why Shaun Bodiford is there! He's our secret weapon!!

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I was referring to Bodiford, sorry if I was unclear.