PDA

View Full Version : Tom Silverstein : Sporting News 5/7/06

motife
05-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Packers Team Report
5/7/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

An analytical look at the team heading into summer workouts.
PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The addition of free agent CB Charles Woodson should have a big impact on the way defensive coordinator Bob Sanders attacks the season. Last year, the club had to make concessions for CB Ahmad Carroll, who wasn't trustworthy. Now with a true cover corner to complement Al Harris on the other side, Sanders can blitz more, bring a safety up to support the run or play four across zone without too many worries. It opens up the door for a lot more options. Woodson has to stay healthy, but there's little question he can still play. In this defense he doesn't have to a speed burner, just tough at the line of scrimmage, which he is. . . .

Samkon Gado will be the starting running back during the spring, giving him ample opportunity to learn the new zone-blocking system he'll be running behind. Both Ahman Green (thigh) and Najeh Davenport (ankle) are sidelined until training camp, so Gado will get the majority of snaps. It should be of great benefit to him because he's raw and inexperienced and needs to learn about when to make his cut into the hole. He showed last season he has the explosiveness to be a solid one-cut runner in the zone system and with a head start on the other two backs he could solidify playing time with a strong off-season.

SCOUTING REPORT: The coaches are looking for a tight end who can run down the middle of the field. Bubba Franks isn't that type, but Donald Lee is. Last year, Lee came in early during the regular season and played fairly well despite not knowing the offense. He is extremely gifted physically and can run better than most tight ends. He's a little stiff in his routes and he needs to better understand how to set up defenders. He's a good blocker for his size, but ultimately it will be his ability to get open downfield that will determine how valuable he is this year.

HONING THEIR GAMES: CB Mike Hawkins has a chance to be the nickel back this year, but he must do two things: get stronger in the weight room and improve his bump-and-run technique. Both go hand in hand. Hawkins has 4.3 speed so there's no concerns about his physical ability. But until he can hold up receivers at the line of scrimmage he's not going to be effective because he still doesn't have great technique. Hawkins is learning how and when to get his hands on a receiver to knock him off his route and will have to continue to progress in that area.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES ANALYSIS: B-minus. There aren't any Pro Bowl players in this group, just a bunch of overachievers. Former first-rounder Ryan Pickett brings the best credentials and will be the anchor inside, but Cullen Jenkins, Corey Williams and Colin Cole established themselves as solid hustle players. No one in the group is capable of taking over a game by himself.

Rastak
05-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I thought Lee looked pretty good last year....He made a very nice catch near the goal line (forget the game) but I certainly didn't forget the catch.

billy_oliver880
05-08-2006, 06:49 PM
DEFENSIVE TACKLES ANALYSIS: B-minus. There aren't any Pro Bowl players in this group, just a bunch of overachievers. Former first-rounder Ryan Pickett brings the best credentials and will be the anchor inside, but Cullen Jenkins, Corey Williams and Colin Cole established themselves as solid hustle players. No one in the group is capable of taking over a game by himself.

I guess I never thought a D-tackle could take over a game? Thats a bit much to ask isn't it?

MJZiggy
05-09-2006, 07:54 AM
I'll take overachievers...