PDA

View Full Version : Is Hawk who you thunk he'd be?

4and12to12and4
10-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm just wondering what the general consensus here is regarding AJ's current level of play. Is he as good as you expected? Is he better? Worse? Did you expect more big plays like causing fumbles, getting interceptions, sacks? Do you think he is a top ten MLB? Where do you rank him? Also, do you think he has reached his potential, or do you think he will continue to improve his level of play from where it is right now? Do you think Nick Barnett is a better backer than him? If you do, do you think AJ will eventually be better than Nick in time? I just wanted to get all you're opinions because we don't talk much about him. Just wondering.

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Poppinga can't cover TE's, so instead of Hawk being put in a position to make big plays, he's chasing TE's around the field.

He's doing a damn good job at SLB, but the nature of SLB is to do dirty work so others can make plays. He's doing good, it's just not visable because of the nature of his position this year.

b bulldog
10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree with Larry McCarren, he is doing a steady job but he needs to elevate his play like the rest of the d. mcCarren said it is foolish to say that the Packers want AJ just to do the dirty stuff and not make any big plays. I think he will never become the player that the masses thought he would but he will never be a bust neither. He needs to play downhill, he is still very young so he has lots of time to improve but he does need to step up his play.

oregonpackfan
10-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with Larry McCarren, he is doing a steady job but he needs to elevate his play like the rest of the d. mcCarren said it is foolish to say that the Packers want AJ just to do the dirty stuff and not make any big plays. I think he will never become the player that the masses thought he would but he will never be a bust neither. He needs to play downhill, he is still very young so he has lots of time to improve but he does need to step up his play.

I agree with everything Bulldog says about Hawk.

Rastak
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Poppinga can't cover TE's, so instead of Hawk being put in a position to make big plays, he's chasing TE's around the field.

He's doing a damn good job at SLB, but the nature of SLB is to do dirty work so others can make plays. He's doing good, it's just not visable because of the nature of his position this year.

So does Hawk swap assignments with Poppinga regularly? Not sure I follow...if the TE lines up on Poppinga's side what happens?

Fred's Slacks
10-18-2007, 06:20 PM
I am a bit disappointed that we haven't seen the big plays. I know he's chasing TEs around alot but with his pedigree, I'd think he'd give up a lot less completions and have a couple of picks. Maybe I expect too much, but we haven't seen a top 5 pick in a long time and we hopefully won't see another one for a long time. When we have one, I want him to produce big time and fast.

That said, I think he'll still get there. I have a feeling we'll continue to see improvement. He's just too gifted and works too hard not to. At the very least we can be sure he's not a bust. He'll be a very good player for a long time. We just can't be sure he'll ever be the difference maker we were hoping for (like the rookie in MN).

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2007, 06:31 PM
If the defense as a whole is successful, I figure the linebackers and secondary are doing their job.

Honestly, I don't care that much if Hawk doesn't make big plays. Just as long as he's not getting burned. No news is good news. Consistency is more important than interceptions and sacks.

Maxie the Taxi
10-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I think the entire 2006 draft was over-hyped. I bought into it too. That said, Hawk might be the best pick of the top 10 draft choices. He'll probably be an All-Pro someday. Don't think he's a hall of famer.

BEARMAN
10-18-2007, 06:56 PM
He hasn't played up to the hype ? He has been out of position, late, looking like he is lost. He has made a few plays, however even a blind squirle finds a nut every now and then. :roll:

Scott Campbell
10-18-2007, 07:02 PM
He hasn't played up to the hype ? He has been out of position, late, looking like he is lost. He has made a few plays, however even a blind squirle finds a nut every now and then. :roll:

I like your blind "squirle" theory, which also explains how the Bears managed not to lose every game they've played so far this year.

LEWCWA
10-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Funny coming from a Bear fan! I think Urlacher is vastly overrated. Without the big boys up front he's just a fast white guy. He doesn't shed blocks that well, either!

Green Bud Packer
10-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Hawk recovered a fumble vs the skins.

He plays with a mean streak and is around the ball.

I like him.

It's not where you pick em it's who you pick.

CaliforniaCheez
10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
The only thing I am disappointed in is that the coaching staff has not blitzed him as much as I expected or would want him to blitz.

With the front 4 and the need to cover TE's and RB's he hasn't. He is faster than Popinga and gets through blocks better than Barnett.

Hawk does a good job and there is no reason to complain. If the team got an upgrade over Poppinga, Hawk would be free to do more.

This is a very small issue. Most teams would like the Packers LB situation.

b bulldog
10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Actually against the Skins he blitzed quite often. He gets engulfed very easily by the Olineman. He needs to not allow the Olineman to get into his body cause once they do, he gets stoned.

Carolina_Packer
10-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Actually against the Skins he blitzed quite often. He gets engulfed very easily by the Olineman. He needs to not allow the Olineman to get into his body cause once they do, he gets stoned.

But if he is taking on an O-lineman, isn't that creating a one on one with a D-lineman?

MTPackerfan
10-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I'd like to think he is doing a good job and that is part of the reason Barnett is having a stellar year.

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Slightly disappointing. I think he's played better than some think, but he hasn't made big plays. I thought he would. I thought he'd be a Pro Bowl type player this year. Still, he's played well and has been a solid part of a solid defense.

Big surprise
Donald Lee, Atari Bigby, Johnny Jolly

Mild surprise
Bubba Franks, Nick Barnett, Brett Favre

Mild disappointment
Chad Clifton, Daryn Colledge, A.J. Hawk, Mark Tauscher, Charles Woodson

Big disappointment
Nick Collins, Brandon Jackson

Everybody else is about what I expected.

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't call Nick Collins a big disappointment. A mild one, yes, but not a big one. He's given up a couple plays, but so have Harris, Woodson and Bigby.

RashanGary
10-18-2007, 10:06 PM

Wolf said he was outstanding at taking on blcoks for a LB. Wolf compared him to Jack Hamm in that regard.

BEARMAN
10-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Funny coming from a Bear fan! I think Urlacher is vastly overrated. Without the big boys up front he's just a fast white guy. He doesn't shed blocks that well, either!

Mr. Urlacher will go into the HOF as one of the best LB's ever. His bust will sit next to Nitski (sp) and Butkus.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't call Nick Collins a big disappointment. A mild one, yes, but not a big one. He's given up a couple plays, but so have Harris, Woodson and Bigby.

Yeah, he's been hot and cold, but I really expected a big leap this year, and it hasn't happened.

Tony Oday
10-19-2007, 03:29 AM

Mr. Urlacher will go into the HOF as one of the best LB's ever. His bust will sit next to Nitski (sp) and Butkus.

Oh my step away from the pipe...

pack4to84
10-19-2007, 06:42 AM
What I have seen is teams are running away from him. That is the problem of and OLB, teams can run away from one side forcing A.J to have to play the cut back lanes instead of being aggressive at the line. Which is his strength. If you where a coach who would you run at A.J or Poppinga. Because of Poppinga lack of coverage skills it is also forcing A.J. to have to cover TE more like others have stated. Thats why I think A.J would be better fitted for the MLB spot like what the Bears did with 54 he started out as a OLB then they moved him to the MLB spot for this reason. The problem with this is Barnett is having a back to back good season at the MLB spot. The move can't be made. Forcing the Pack to upgrade the other OLB position to correct the problem I stated above.

RashanGary
10-19-2007, 08:29 AM
I agree. As long as we have Poppinga, Hawk will be playing with his back to the line of scrimmage (chasing TE's) and the aggressive, dominate downhill plays that he made at OSU will be put on hold. SLB's just aren't put in position to make big plays. They are in position not to screw up and Hawk has done a great job at that. Problem is, he's a playmaker and we're goiong to have to find a way to put him in positiion to make plays.

Moving Popp to the middle and Barnett to the SLB would put Hawk in better position, but Barnett is also a playmaker. The only real solution is finding a so/so LB who can cover to replace Poppinga.

As far as the team goes, it's just fine the way Hawk is playing. Poppinga is acctually VERY good in the run game. If Hawk is forced to cover, it just makes Hawk look bad. The defense overall plays well. I don't think it's a problem this year, but eventually you want to take advantage of what Hawk brings to the table.

KYPack
10-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Nitschke

Goofnuts

The Leaper
10-19-2007, 08:42 AM
He gets engulfed very easily by the Olineman.

What 4-3 LB doesn't get engulfed by the OL? It isn't like you see any NFL LB blitzing through the line consistently and always beating down the QB. Offensive line play and pass protection simply has gotten much better these days...and ALL LBs usually get stoned on rushes.

Hell, even our pathetic OL can stuff most blitzes effectively. Hawk is actually pretty stout against blocks and is around the ball quite often. He isn't making a ton of plays...but the offenses also aren't going after Hawk to allow him many opportunities in that regard.

woodbuck27
10-19-2007, 11:51 AM
The sophomore year thing may be on with this talent.

He will be fine and we can count on it !

AJ HAWK will be a strong role player for our future.

PACKERS FOREVER !!

rbaloha1
10-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Always felt AJ was slightly overrated coming out of college. Based on AJ's position and draft selection one is expecting Urlacher plays.

AJ strength is once he sees a ball carrier, AJ brings great power and explosion. AJ also shows the ability to split blockers due to athleticism and very good coverage skills.

Where AJ fails, is taking on blockers mano to mano in the run or blitz game.

Overall AJ is playing steady with what appears few assignment areas. More big plays should happen for AJ as he plays more in the scheme. Just do not expect Urlacher performance.

Zool
10-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Nitschke

Goofnuts

You'd think a Bears fan could spell Nitschke. Its like a Packer fan misspelling Buttkiss.

The Leaper
10-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Overall AJ is playing steady with what appears few assignment areas. More big plays should happen for AJ as he plays more in the scheme. Just do not expect Urlacher performance.

Hawk won't provide Urlacher performance because he is not a MLB. Our defensive system provides the MLB with the greatest opportunity to make plays, which is why Barnett puts up better "stats" than the other LBs.

woodbuck27
10-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Hawk won't provide Urlacher performance because he is not a MLB. Our defensive system provides the MLB with the greatest opportunity to make plays, which is why Barnett puts up better "stats" than the other LBs.

Good point Packer fan.

PACKERS FOREVER !!

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Good point but Hawk is no where near the player that Brian is. Hawk is solid but not much more.

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 01:13 PM
A knock on him coming out of school is that he will get totally stoned by Olineman. Wolf has never had a good track record in regards to first round picks Nick :wink:

woodbuck27
10-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Good point but Hawk is no where near the player that Brian is. Hawk is solid but not much more.

I have faith he will get there b bulldog. Too much talent in this Will not to.

He has to just keep his feet moving and pursue the ball.

PACKERS FOREVER ! !

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 01:19 PM
A knock on him coming out of school is that he will get totally stoned by Olineman. Wolf has never had a good track record in regards to first round picks Nick :wink:

I think that was the case early last year, but reports from various sources on JSO say he does a good job taking on blocks. No LB wins most of their battles with OL--if they are allowed to get on them. I think he takes on blocks just fine. The big problem is no big plays. One fumble recovery, and that's about it. Hopefully, they come soon.

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Big surprise
Atari Bigby
Brett Favre
Johnny Jolly
James Jones
Lee and Franks as a combo

Mild Surprise
Nick Barnett
Scott Wells
Ryan Pickett has really played dominant
KGB

Mild disappointment
AJ Hawk
Nick Collins
Cullen Jenkins
Jarret Bush
Ryan/Crosby
Mark Tauscher
Chad Clifton

Bigtime disappointment
Darren Colledge
Brandon Jackson
Deshawn Wynn(I know he is a 7th rounder but I thought he would be better and much more tough)
Spitz/Coston
Conservativeness on D

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Last week against the Skins he was awful on the blitz. He got stoned every time. I thought the delayed blitz was his strong point as far as blitzing in college and I think he is best doing the same at this level. I don't think he is good enough when it is one on one to win. I see TE's blocking him too often on his blitzes.

Tarlam!
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
We have people comparing AJ to Barnett. We have people disappointed in AJ. We have others calling for Bradys spot.

I disagree with those people passionately!

Barnett has finally shown up. WISTY had him pegged up until this season. Pop has always been a liability against the pass, why are we so shocked? AJ? Well, Ill bet FOR AJ.

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Well on the positive side, he is a student of the game and he should get better but truthfully, I never see him at an elite level but he doesn't have to be. If he is a player who becomes a good leader and makes 3-4 trips to Hawaii, I'll be fine with that.

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 01:31 PM
What has Hawk done to this point, in all honesty, to deserve as much adolation as he recieves? Not a knock on him at all but I was just curious???

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 01:42 PM
He played very well down the stretch last year. He's a good run defender and a sure tackler. His coverage isn't bad. The JSO scout seems to think he's playing quite well. Oftentimes, a guy can be doing his job, but people don't see the big play, so they think he's playing poorly. Did you see Urlacher get blown up by Korey Hall in the Bears game? LBs get blocked. If they didn't, nobody would ever be able to run the ball. As far as his blitzing, I think he could be good. It's hard to find a rhythm when you don't do it a lot. That goes for all of our LBs. The thing about our scheme is it expects the front four to provide pressure. We don't blitz as much as most teams. Sure, we do it occasionally, but not that often. I know earlier in the year, he didn't get there, but provided some pressure. When a LB gets a sack, it's usually because the offense was overloaded and the guy runs free. That hasn't happened for Hawk. Not sure if they aren't disguising it right or what, but it will come. He has the speed to get there.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 01:47 PM
The guy you trumpet, DeMeco Ryans, had a similar year to Hawk last year. The only difference was that Ryans played MLB and had a few more tackles. This year, their stats are virtually even. Same tackles. Same everything--except Ryans has 1 more sack and Hawk has 1 more fumble recovery. It happens. LBs tend to have things happen in bunches. I expect both guys will be fine. Maybe teams have more film to scheme against those guys. Maybe they are doing their jobs, but neither are making big plays. I'm not worried about Hawk. He's a good player. I just expect more big plays. He has the ability to get them. Hopefully, he gets put in position to make them and then makes them.

DannoMac21
10-19-2007, 02:13 PM

What's a squirle?

Badgepack
10-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Hawk just needs to be an above average linebacker for the next 10 years or so.

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Harv, the guy I liked was Mario :oops: but I'd compare Hawk to Ryans, Greenway and Sims. I think all four are real close. I did like Carpenter :oops: and Sims at the LB position in that draft. Carpenter can't find the field but imo, Sims is the best of this bunch. My point about Hawk at the time was that he isn't much better than the rest and so far, I was arrurate in that assumption but it is still early. I was a tad off on the Super one though.

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 02:29 PM
accurate :oops: sorry

The Leaper
10-19-2007, 02:49 PM

Urlacher has far more experience than Hawk. That is the only way that he is ahead of Hawk IMO...outside of the fact he is a MLB and has more of a chance to make plays because of it.

As a player, there is little that Urlacher is doing right now to suggest to me he is light years ahead of Hawk in terms of ability. In fact, I think Urlacher is weaker at the point of attack than Hawk most of the time. Teams run AT Urlacher...but they don't make a point of running at Hawk.

Urlacher is overrated. He is a very good LB, but he's not the dominating beast people make him out to be. Barnett is playing better than Urlacher right now.

4and12to12and4
10-19-2007, 02:56 PM
What I have seen is teams are running away from him. That is the problem of and OLB, teams can run away from one side forcing A.J to have to play the cut back lanes instead of being aggressive at the line. Which is his strength. If you where a coach who would you run at A.J or Poppinga. Because of Poppinga lack of coverage skills it is also forcing A.J. to have to cover TE more like others have stated. Thats why I think A.J would be better fitted for the MLB spot like what the Bears did with 54 he started out as a OLB then they moved him to the MLB spot for this reason. The problem with this is Barnett is having a back to back good season at the MLB spot. The move can't be made. Forcing the Pack to upgrade the other OLB position to correct the problem I stated above.

Good post Brian. Makes sense to me. I just wonder if Hawk played MLB if he would be as good or better than Barnett. Personally, I think that Barnett is better at blitzing. He's so fast, he can find and get through small cracks in the line better. He just has to continue getting better at his open field tackling, although he did blow up Portis behind the line with an open field tackle after either Woodson or Harris missed him. That was impressive, he ran a good 25 yards to get to him. BTW, if you compare Hawks numbers against Urlachers last year, they are almost identical. One fumble recovery, one interception, and around 150 tackles. And he's not an MLB. I think that's pretty impressive for a rookie. But, as far as Barnett goes, I think he is playing his best football this year, and should earn a probowl spot. He has made some very key plays for us at crucial times. Poppinga is about as good as Hillenmeyer. He's very replaceable. Is Hodge healthy enough to put him in there and see what he can do? Actually, that kinda defeats the purpose, cuz he can't cover anyone either.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I think Barnett and Hawk are similar players actually. I just think Hawk came into the league as a more tenacious player and a better tackler, but Barnett has become tenacious and a good tackler over the years.

Tarlam!
10-19-2007, 03:09 PM
I think Barnett and Hawk are similar players actually. I just think Hawk came into the league as a more tenacious player and a better tackler, but Barnett has become tenacious and a good tackler over the years.

Harv! Barnett came in as an OLB and was thrown into the middle. He was OK. A player but no more. He was no Urlacher, that's for sure.

Hawk came in as Will, which is his natural position. He has relly flashed at times. It won't take the duration of his rookie contract, IMO, for him to fulfill his potential.

Kudos to Barnett; I wasn't a fan after year 3 and Wisty's whispers. After his payday, he has made good on his potential.

Hawk won't wait that long.

The Leaper
10-19-2007, 03:18 PM
I just wonder if Hawk played MLB if he would be as good or better than Barnett.

Probably not at this point...I think Barnett's experience makes him a better choice in the middle.

Hawk has everything a good LB needs...I'm hardly worried about him.

RashanGary
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Urlacher is overrated. He is a very good LB, but he's not the dominating beast people make him out to be. Barnett is playing better than Urlacher right now.

I agree. Urlacher gets the big city overhype. I watch Urlacher get toasted 3 times for every big play he makes.

RashanGary
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM

I'll second this too.

Noodle
10-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Um, he's a weak side LB. Don't teams run to the strong side (TE) far more often than the weak side? That's how it goes. Yet Will LBs are expected to get lots of production because they don't need to deal with the TE, they can just flow and go, using inside shoulder techinique.

I have to say my hope was that he'd be more of a game changer than he's been. Sort of a Master of Disaster, causing all sorts of mayhem and disruption. But I don't watch a ton of game film, so I can't appreciate what he may be doing to mess things up before they ever get a chance to get going.

I just want to see him obliterate a guy. Flat out obliterate a guy. Stupid, I know, but that's what I expected.

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 07:17 PM
I agree with the comparisons between the two and that was one of my reasons for not wanting to draft hawk in the first place.

Guiness
10-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Um, he's a weak side LB. Don't teams run to the strong side (TE) far more often than the weak side? That's how it goes. Yet Will LBs are expected to get lots of production because they don't need to deal with the TE, they can just flow and go, using inside shoulder techinique.

I have to say my hope was that he'd be more of a game changer than he's been. Sort of a Master of Disaster, causing all sorts of mayhem and disruption. But I don't watch a ton of game film, so I can't appreciate what he may be doing to mess things up before they ever get a chance to get going.

I just want to see him obliterate a guy. Flat out obliterate a guy. Stupid, I know, but that's what I expected.

As a general rule, teams do run to the strong side a lot more - unless they're game planning away from the strong side. I'm not saying that's what they're doing, but it would be a reason the weak side sees more action.

Thinking about it though, that doesn't really make sense to me either, because by all accounts, Poppinga is very good against the run, so I don't think teams would choose to run at him instead of Hawk.

If, as stated, he's having to deal with the TE more than he should, I would think that would affect production.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Hawk has been a gun run defender. Hawk is WLB and Poppinga is SLB, but really they are RLB and LLB. Green Bay doesn't switch up their defense much depending on the TE formation. Their OLBs are kind of interchangeable. I'm sure most teams run TE on the rightside to match up with Poppinga though. Then again, in passing situations Poppinga isn't on the field much. Not sure I understand bulldog's point. You need more than one good LB. If Hawk and Barnett are similar, why would that make you not want Hawk? Makes no sense. Both stay on the field pretty much at all times--since our defense goes to the dime so infrequently.

ND72
10-20-2007, 09:16 AM
I only read a few replies, and anyone and everyone that was around draft time 2 years ago knows how much I love AJ Hawk. Am I happy with the way he's played? No...I think he could be a lot more dominate...but at the same time, I think HE thinks the same ways. If you ever listen to his interviews he says straight out he hasn't played to his ability yet...and yet, he's been playing pretty solid. The guy is fast as heck, and is very instinctful. I think he's still learning a lot, which is GREAT for us.

I think AJ has been given a bad rap because Brady POOPinga can't cover anyone, yet we continue to put POOP on the TE's, so AJ litterally is running across the field to tackle the TE's that are catching the ball.

Couple things to realize also...He plays behind Aaron Kampmann 90% of the time. NO team will run AT Aaron Kampman, so essentially no team will run at Hawk. Am I saying no team does run at Hawk? No, cause teams have, and yes he's had some struggles, but he's also stepped up and stopped quite a few plays also.

I also think that AJ Hawk, along with a solid DL, has helped make Nick Barnett a heck of a lot better, as he is finally fulfilling and reaching his potential. This is Hawk's sophomore season, which, depending on who talks about it, is sometimes the toughest season for a defensive player, because teams know about them now and scheme against them.

I still love the guy, and am still a bit giddy he's on my team. But he does have a lot to learn still, but still has a mountain of potential to fulfill. And I'm pumped to see where he takes it.

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 09:43 AM
ND,

The right side of most offenses is the side of the TE (typically). That would coincide with the left side of the DL, which is Kampmans side. In short, Kamp and the SLB are usually on the same side of the field.

The only reason Hawk is on that side of the field during some games is because Poop can't cover so Hawk is stuck playing SLB. SLB's are support players that are not in position to make many plays (hence Barnetts refusal to play there and Hawks slow start)

YOu said Hawk is on the weakside but you also said he was on Kamps side when Kamp is usually on the strong side. Just pointing out that contridiction.

ND72
10-20-2007, 09:46 AM
ND,

The right side of most offenses is the side of the TE (typically). That would coincide with the left side of the DL, which is Kampmans side. In short, Kamp and the SLB are usually on the same side of the field.

The only reason Hawk is on that side of the field during some games is because Poop can't cover so Hawk is stuck playing SLB. SLB's are support players that are not in position to make many plays (hence Barnetts refusal to play there and Hawks slow start)

YOu said Hawk is on the weakside but you also said he was on Kamps side when Kamp is usually on the strong side. Just pointing out that contridiction.

Except both Chicago and Washington went predominately offensive strong left, or Defensive strong Right. Lovie Smith, "we did put our TE on the left side about 98% of the game, as which we planned."

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Interesting. Now that you mention it, I do remember Olson on the left side more than normal. That goes against the norm.

I'm going to have to go back and take a look at the tape. I'm curious to see what GB is doing that Chicago was trying to take advantage of. It sounds like Lovie got the results he expected, so whatever GB did, we can presume Lovie thought was to his advantage.

Right now, the defense is kind of reeling (finding a way to cover up for Poops pass coverage). The best thing to do is just put Poop on the weakside and let Hawk suffer doing the SLB dirty work. Poop is acctually a pretty aggressive, impactfull tackler. It would be putting Poop in position to succeed and the defense as a whole because Hawk does a pretty good job on TE's.