PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld.com - Packers 4 WR set is "scary!"

gbpackfan
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Rotoworld.com

Koren Robinson

The Packers have been granted a roster exemption for recently reinstated WR Koren Robinson.

The exemption is effective until October 30. Robinson will use the period until then to get into game shape. Cornerback and punt returner Will Blackmon could go on I.R. once Robinson is ready. The thought of Robinson, Donald Driver, James Jones, and Greg Jennings in four-wide sets is a scary one.

Now if they can figure out a way to squeeze out a little more production out of the running game, watch out. :D

oregonpackfan
10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
While I think Robinson can be a healthy addition to the Packers' WR corps, I hardly consider them "scary" or dominating. I think the WR group will be strong, but not among the best in the NFL.

gbpackfan
10-18-2007, 09:51 PM
While I think Robinson can be a healthy addition to the Packers' WR corps, I hardly consider them "scary" or dominating. I think the WR group will be strong, but not among the best in the NFL.

IF K-Rob rounds into form and IF Jones learns how to hang on to the football, they are a top 10 group.

Partial
10-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I believe Harv and I went through the top 2 receivers for most teams and concluded we were top 10 there.

When going down to #3, I would say we're not quite that high due to JJ's inexperience. He is gonna be a great receiver someday, though.

K-Rob in his prime is a very, very good 4th option. I don't know many teams that can compete 4 deep with the Pack. Who knows if K-Rob is anywhere near his prime, though. And how big of an impact does a 4th receiver make, anyway? The depth is fantastic, that is for sure.

gbpackfan
10-18-2007, 10:19 PM
I believe Harv and I went through the top 2 receivers for most teams and concluded we were top 10 there.

When going down to #3, I would say we're not quite that high due to JJ's inexperience. He is gonna be a great receiver someday, though.

K-Rob in his prime is a very, very good 4th option. I don't know many teams that can compete 4 deep with the Pack. Who knows if K-Rob is anywhere near his prime, though. And how big of an impact does a 4th receiver make, anyway? The depth is fantastic, that is for sure.

K-Rob is only 27. I would like to believe that we haven't seen his prime yet. :wink:

BF4MVP
10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
IF Jones learns how to hang on to the football
Meh, it was one game..I wouldn't say he doesn't know how to hang onto the football.

Joemailman
10-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm still hoping we'll develop enough of a running game that 4 receiver sets won't be used too much. That being said, this has a chance to be an outstanding group. Robinson has a combination of size and speed that our other receivers can't quite match. He's bigger than Driver and Jennings, faster than Jones and Martin. It will be interesting to see how quickly he and Favre can get their communication down.

GrnBay007
10-19-2007, 12:05 AM
IF Jones learns how to hang on to the football
Meh, it was one game..I wouldn't say he doesn't know how to hang onto the football.

Great answer! :P

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm still hoping we'll develop enough of a running game that 4 receiver sets won't be used too much. That being said, this has a chance to be an outstanding group. Robinson has a combination of size and speed that our other receivers can't quite match. He's bigger than Driver and Jennings, faster than Jones and Martin. It will be interesting to see how quickly he and Favre can get their communication down.

Of course, he's probably slower than Driver and Jennings and smaller than Martin (not necessarily Jones; Jones is stronger, but probably shorter), so that's not entirely accurate. I think he's pretty similar to the guys we have--in that he's not a game breaker. However, he should be another good weapon on offense.

Guiness
10-19-2007, 02:47 AM
If Robinson comes back and plays like he did at the beginning of last year, I think we will have a great 4 receiver set.

I know what you're saying HW, in that we don't have that 'elite' WR on the roster...although I think Driver's right there myself.

But as far as being able to put 4 WR's on the field, where the opposing D actually has to worry about all four of them is pretty impressive. If Robinson comes back alright, JJ will be our #4! Which means the guy covering him is pretty much the last CB, or a safety.

Most teams don't have much by the time you get to the fourth guy. Many teams #3 guy isn't much to write home about.

Cheesehead Craig
10-19-2007, 07:53 AM
I think Rotoworld is also taking into account that our 4WR set is superior to most teams nickel/dime packages. Look who we are using as our nickelback, Bush, anyone here think he could cover Jones or Robinson on a consistent basis? Such is the case with most teams in the NFL. It's not so much that we have gamebreakers at WR in this set, just superior WRs over what other teams can put out there for DBs.

The Leaper
10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
It is about experience. Jennings and Jones have very little of it, but Robinson is a seasoned player in this league.

You also have to remember that Robinson had his best years in Seattle as Hasselbeck was still coming into his own as a QB. He was putting up pretty big years with a rather inexperienced QB. I think that speaks to just how good Robinson is. Robinson DOES make big plays. The guy averages 15 yards a catch.

Holmgren too often allowed talented guys to get in his doghouse. He did the same thing to Ahman Green. Rather than working with guys to fix correctable issues, Holmgren decides to just move on much of the time. I think Robinson is another example of that. Green Bay has been committed to helping Robinson personally and professionally. I think that will pay dividends.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 09:22 AM
It is about experience. Jennings and Jones have very little of it, but Robinson is a seasoned player in this league.

You also have to remember that Robinson had his best years in Seattle as Hasselbeck was still coming into his own as a QB. He was putting up pretty big years with a rather inexperienced QB. I think that speaks to just how good Robinson is. Robinson DOES make big plays. The guy averages 15 yards a catch.

Holmgren too often allowed talented guys to get in his doghouse. He did the same thing to Ahman Green. Rather than working with guys to fix correctable issues, Holmgren decides to just move on much of the time. I think Robinson is another example of that. Green Bay has been committed to helping Robinson personally and professionally. I think that will pay dividends.

Robinson can help. He's even good enough to start on some teams. However, I think some are thinking we are going to get a superstar. He never was that. He's always had the drops. He had one year where he had 900+ receiving yards and has never had more than 5 TDs in a season. Reminds me when the Vikings signed Marcus Robinson, and people around here thought he was going to be great because he had a 1000 yard season in 1999. Well, that was five years before Marcus signed with the Vikings in 2004. Similar situation in that KoRo had his 1000 yard season in 2002 (5 years ago). Sure, KoRo is only 27 and Marcus was 29 at the time (although he still should have had some good years left). He's also been off for a year. Another fact is KoRo played for the Vikings in 2005. That Vikings team was devoid of great WRs (they had traded Randy Moss)--yet KoRo only made his mark as a kick returner. He only had 22 catches that year. Those are reasons I'm tempering my enthusiasm. If I don't expect the moon, I think I'll be happy. He certainly can help though.

LL2
10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree that KRob isn't going to make the Packers WR corp scare anybody, but I sure hope it can prevent teams from double teaming any of the other WR's. Hopefully he can be enough of a threat that it can open up the running game. Does he solve that riddle?

The Leaper
10-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Robinson can help. He's even good enough to start on some teams. However, I think some are thinking we are going to get a superstar. He never was that. He's always had the drops. He had one year where he had 900+ receiving yards and has never had more than 5 TDs in a season.

This is true, but the same was said of Moss this preseason. Look at what he's done (or hasn't done) in Oakland. He's lost a step. He's over the hill. Really? Does it look that way now...or does it look like Moss is just fine when you pair him with a stud QB and a strong offensive scheme?

For a WR, it is all about the QB throwing you the ball. Robinson has never really been paired for any length of time with a QB with a high level of experience. He has the physical talent to be a playmaker if he improves his concentration and becomes comfortable in the offensive system...providing Favre is the guy under center running the show.

woodbuck27
10-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I see more potential for us to finish stronger with KR on board, based in his talent potential and versatility.

KR sure could use OUR support.

GOOD Kharma. :)

Tarlam!
10-21-2007, 06:06 AM
I am most optimistic towards KoRo due to Brett Favre's open support of his reinstatement. Much of it might have been due to his understanding of substance abuse, but I think Favre genuinely sees KoRo as upgrading his weapons arsenal.

Favre also had Jennings pegged as "special" very early. Most here agree, Jennings has turned out very nicely so far. I mention this as evidence of Favre's ability to estimate quality at the WR position, especially if he is the guy tossing the pigskin.

At any rate, my belief is if it's good for Favre, it's good for the team. That's my 2 cents worth.

Him8123
10-21-2007, 08:39 AM
with Jennings getting injured as often as he does, K Rob is more likely a 2nd or 3rd option for us not a 4th. If he is in the best shape of his life as he says he is. He is a pretty good reciever. saying he`s a fourth is meaning he is the last option possible. I think he can be better than that.

Patler
10-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Favre also had Jennings pegged as "special" very early. Most here agree, Jennings has turned out very nicely so far. I mention this as evidence of Favre's ability to estimate quality at the WR position, especially if he is the guy tossing the pigskin.

Do I need to bring out the Favre quotes about Ferguson having the ability to be one of the best in the league?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tarlam!
10-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Do I need to bring out the Favre quotes about Ferguson having the ability to be one of the best in the league?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know you were taking a friendly stab (the smileys are a dead giveaway! :D

I remember those comments were attached to the fact that Ferguson never performed to his full ability, which many of us here agree on. That does nothing to diminish my comfort level with KoRo.

LL2
10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Does Krob get to start next Monday? It would be great to see Driver, Jennings, JJ, and Krob on the field at the same time.

The Leaper
10-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't see why not. He's able to practice with the team now...and he has some limited experience from last year to fall back on.

MJZiggy
10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
They also made the necessary roster moves to have him play which they didn't need to do until next week if he weren't playing...

fan4life
10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
KRob has the potential to be a very special player. As far back as his days at NC State, it was obvious that "he was born to play football", as Favre said. Unfortunately for KRob, his addiction to alcohol has held him back from realizing his enormous potential.

Has he conquered his addiction? For his sake, let's hope so. 27 is not too old to turn around his career. He could easily become a close #2 to Donald, if he can stay clean and focused.

Partial
10-23-2007, 09:43 AM
He won't ever be a very special player. He'll be a solid #3.

LL2
10-23-2007, 01:24 PM
According to the article over at JSO Koren is looking better than he has in years. If he can improve the return game and prevent defenses from double teaming Driver, jenning, and JJ that will be a boost to the offense.