PDA

View Full Version : CB Frank Walker's surgery & projected roster moves.

gbpackfan
10-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Packers CB has surgery
Posted: Oct. 18, 2007
Green Bay - Cornerback Frank Walker of the Green Bay Packers underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Tuesday and probably will miss up to a month.

Walker suffered torn cartilage covering a punt Sunday against Washington. Team physician Patrick McKenzie repaired the damage.

The Packers might be in the market for a cornerback because another one of the six cornerbacks on their roster, Will Blackmon, suffered a broken foot Oct. 3. The Packers, who were to make a decision soon on whether to place Blackmon on injured reserve, might have seen their hand forced by Walker's injury.

Jarrett Bush and Tramon Williams are the healthy backup cornerbacks behind Charles Woodson and Al Harris.

As the nickel back, Bush has had his share of problems both in coverage and as a tackler. Walker had been the most likely candidate to replace Bush if the coaches decided a change was in order after the bye.

Walker was able to finish the game against the Redskins but reported soreness after the game and diagnostic tests revealed the cartilage damage.

Patrick Dendy, who was beaten out by Walker, remains unsigned after being cut Sept. 1. Green Bay has no cornerbacks on its eight-man practice squad.

Roster move: Tackle Orrin Thompson was waived Thursday to make room for wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was granted a two-game roster exemption.

MJZiggy
10-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Roster move: Tackle Orrin Thompson was waived Thursday to make room for wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was granted a two-game roster exemption.

I called it. :shock:

gbpackfan
10-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Here are my predictions:

1. Orrin Thompson gets signed to the practice squad.

2. Onrea Jones gets waived from the practice squad.

3. Patrick Dendy gets signed to the active roster.

4. Frank Walker or Will Blackmon gets placed on IR.

Other CB options:

Tory James - remember they brought this vet. in during the offseason.
Tyrone Poole
Dexter McCleon
Keiwan Ratliff
Will Poole
Daylon McCutcheon
Ahmad Carroll - So, a return for Batman? HA HA HA HA :shock:
Kevin Mathis
Chris Cash
Rashad Bauman
Reggie Howard
Ray Mickens
Willie Williams
Terry Fair
Ray Walls
Willie Middlebrooks (S)
Dewayne Washington
Jimmy Williams

Guiness
10-18-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm guessing Dendy gets brought in right quick, because he knows the system, etc. He was the incumbent from last year. Then they audition a few other guys.

The mention of Terry Fair is interesting - he was first round pick, wasn't he? Been out of the league a couple of years, I think. Of course, Carrol was also a first rounder... :(

pack4to84
10-19-2007, 06:54 AM
i would bring back Ahmad Carroll. This time around he would have to listen to the Coaching staff, because he is no longer high salary and a first rd pick. That is forgotten about now. He fits our system for bump and run cb's.

pittstang5
10-19-2007, 08:00 AM
So room was made for K-rob......but what about the TE position and now the CB position.

I doubt that the Packers are going to go into the next game with just one TE. Bubba is out for a couple weeks with a knee injury, so who gets cut / placed on IR to bring up one of the TEs, probably Krause, from the practice squad.

Then we have the CB position. I guess the packers could make due with just four (Harris, Woodson, Bush and Williams), but I have little confidence in Williams and Bush has had his problems.

Even though I don't like it, the logical solution for CB is Dendy. He knows the system and is unsigned.

Depth is starting to get thin around here.

Badgepack
10-19-2007, 08:37 AM
i would bring back Ahmad Carroll. This time around he would have to listen to the Coaching staff, because he is no longer high salary and a first rd pick. That is forgotten about now. He fits our system for bump and run cb's.

I agree with giving Carroll another shot, he knows the system, he has potential and there is not much else out there.

pack4to84
10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
After watching Bush get burn every week now. Carroll could be the 3rd cb in 2 weeks.

Partial
10-19-2007, 08:55 AM
It's never too early to smoke crack.

MadScientist
10-19-2007, 09:19 AM

I called it. :shock:

Why was Thompson waved now, if there is a roster exemption for Robinson? They can add Dendy without another move until Robinson is activated.

mraynrand
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM

Doesn't he have legal issues from last May? I mean, he might be in the joint right now, where covering the tight end has a whole new, immediate, and personal significance.

Carolina_Packer
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I don't think Carroll is coming back. Too much baggage from his personal life and I think it's time to stop using the P word (potential) on him and start calling him what he is, a bust. Some guys just never get it. You figure that they might just learn by becoming a role player, but he really never did. There has to be someone out there to provide some depth that is not facing drug and weapons charges, or suspension by the NFL if he shows his face on a team. We've been there and one that with K-Rob, although I understand that their situations are different. Bottom line we need help/depth now.

pittstang5
10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Are we that desperate that some are suggesting bringing Ahmad Carroll back? He was terrible and had plenty of opportunities. There's a reason why he's not playing anymore, personal and professional.

I'll admit that there's not much choice out there for a decnt CB right now....but Carroll?

Lurker64
10-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Are we that desperate that some are suggesting bringing Ahmad Carroll back? He was terrible and had plenty of opportunities. There's a reason why he's not playing anymore, personal and professional.

I'll admit that there's not much choice out there for a decnt CB right now....but Carroll?

Considering that TT and MM liked Dendy better than Carroll last year, and Dendy's still out there, I think there's approximately no chance of taking Carroll back.

Dendy's solid but unspectacular, he'll be fine if we need a fourth or fifth guy.

Carolina_Packer
10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Unless there's someone else who has become available after the September cutdowns, I see a lot of older vets who are done playing or not deserving of another chance, so it might be just as well to add depth back by seeing if we can get Dendy back. At least he could plug right back into the system.

woodbuck27
10-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Wondering what Mad thinks of A.Carroll and a return to us. . . :)

Guiness
10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
I can't see them bringing Caroll back - I didn't even consider him when I saw him on the list. Jax tossed him for a reason.

Bring Dendy in, and start calling some UFA's from last year.

oregonpackfan
10-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I can't see them bringing Caroll back - I didn't even consider him when I saw him on the list. Jax tossed him for a reason.

Bring Dendy in, and start calling some UFA's from last year.

Bringing Carroll back makes as much sense as firing M3 and bringing back Dan Devine! :)

The Shadow
10-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Terrell Buckley & Mossy Cade should be signed immediately.
Maybe Estus Hood, too!

Freak Out
10-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Any player that requires boxing gloves to even have a chance at being effective does not deserve a return visit.

ND72
10-20-2007, 02:49 PM
all this talk of bringing in Corners is EXACTLY why I don't like Chuck Woodson as our Punt Returner.

4and12to12and4
10-20-2007, 03:09 PM
all this talk of bringing in Corners is EXACTLY why I don't like Chuck Woodson as our Punt Returner.

I agree 100%. It is stupid. Very risky. And Tramone has proven good hands. No reason for Woody to be back there, it's not like he's breaking any great ones anyways.

Jeez, our DB situation is so pathetic. At beginning of camp I thought we had good depth, but injuries and Bush's bad play has me very worried. Although Bush had a much nicer game against the Skins. Maybe we just needs time out there. I always liked Dendy. I thought he was gonna be good. I sure wish Blackmon would stay healthy. He has so much potential, and can return kicks too. Well KRob will probably take over that responsibility anyways.

3irty1
10-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I liked Dendy too.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2007, 11:49 PM
With Carroll last year, I was convinced that he'd be crappy pretty much every game. He was... until he got cut. Let's remember that Bush is a young guy who has thrown in some good games with his bad games. I'm not convinced he can't handle the job. He has the skills to do it. With Carroll, you knew he had zero ball skills, horrible hands, and grabbed too much. It never improved. Bush has at least made some plays on the ball (at least, in preseason), and appears to have decent hands. He's also a good STs player. We need him to step up. I think he can do it. I really do wish Blackmon had stayed healthy though.

gbpackfan
10-22-2007, 11:44 AM
The Green Bay Packers today released wide receiver Onrea Jones from the eight-man practice squad and replaced him with tackle Orrin Thompson.

Thompson was on the active roster from Sept. 22 until Oct. 18, but never played in a game.

Jones was originally signed to the practice squad on Sept. 18

I'M GOOD. :D

Tarlam!
10-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I'M GOOD. :DKudos, you picked it. I'm glad, though, that OrT made it through waivers!!