PDA

View Full Version : Pats win bid to get names from ticket reseller StubHub

Jimx29
10-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Talk about your "not gonna give a shit about your privacy"

Nice move fleabay.... :roll:

Updated: October 18, 2007, 7:10 PM ET

BOSTON -- The New England Patriots have won a bid to get the names of all the fans who bought or sold -- or tried to buy or sell -- tickets to home games through online ticket reseller StubHub Inc., a move one technology group sees as an invasion of privacy.

In a lawsuit against San Francisco-based StubHub, a subsidiary of eBay Inc., claiming that the Web site encourages fans to break state law and violate team policies, the Patriots said they could seek to revoke season tickets of people who use StubHub.

A lawyer for the Patriots wouldn't say what the team plans to do with the 13,000 names, which StubHub gave it last week after losing its appeal of a Massachusetts state court ruling.

Team rules bar reselling game tickets for a profit. State law, though rarely enforced, restricts ticket markups to $2 above face value plus some service charges.

Patriots tickets have been offered on StubHub at prices many times higher, including two 50-yard-line seats for New England's Dec. 16 game against the AFC rival New York Jets listed Thursday for $1,300.05 each. Their face value is $125.

The Center for Democracy and Technology, a Washington D.C.-based advocacy group, said the court order to turn over the names infringes on the privacy rights of Patriots fans.

"The Patriots, just at the beginning of the season, were filming opposing teams and accused of surveillance and given a slap from the National Football League about that. Now they're turning the cameras on their fans, so clearly there is a lack of understanding about what privacy is," said Ari Schwartz, deputy director of the center.

StubHub parent eBay is a member of the center's working group on free speech online.

StubHub, one of the largest online ticket sellers, argued that the Patriots' request violated its confidentiality agreement with its customers and said the team wants to create a monopoly on the resale market for its own tickets.

"It is plain that the Patriots seek this highly confidential customer information to further their unlawful, anticompetitive campaign against StubHub and its customers," StubHub said in court papers.

The Patriots, who say they are trying to ensure fans get tickets at reasonable prices, are entitled to know who may be violating their rules.

"One of our claims against StubHub is that knowing we have rules against resale on the Internet, they are out there soliciting people to violate our rules," said Daniel Goldberg, a lawyer for the team. "In order to pursue that claim, we need to understand who has been persuaded by that inducement to list their tickets [on StubHub]."

Goldberg said the Patriots' rules on resale are clear and printed on the back of every ticket.

"We have hundreds of people on waiting lists willing to comply with our rules, so if individuals prefer not to comply with the rules, that's their choice," he said.

Goldberg would not say how the Patriots plan to use the customer information it won in court.

In his order this summer, Superior Court Judge Allan van Gestel said the Patriots have "legitimate interests" in knowing the identity of people who resell tickets through StubHub.

The judge said the Patriots could use the information for purposes beyond the lawsuit, including canceling violators' season tickets or reporting violators to authorities. Goldberg said StubHub turned over the names last week.

The Patriots have revoked tickets of fans who resell on any site except the Patriots' own TeamExchange Web site, which limits sales to face value. That Web site is run by Ticketmaster.

Tony Troilo, a season-ticket holder from Mansfield, said he appreciates the Patriots' efforts to protect its fans by strictly enforcing its rules against ticket scalping.

"But on the flip side of that, I think there are probably a lot of good, loyal fans who for whatever reason can't make it to a game and obviously don't want to eat the ticket," Troilo said. "It seems like it shouldn't be a crime for them to go on StubHub.com."

linkage (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3069481&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Partial
10-18-2007, 10:13 PM
If it helps cut down on assholes that don't want to go to the games and make some fat cash selling their tickets, I am all for them being taken down.

Selling a ticket for more than face value is a shitty move.

gbpackfan
10-18-2007, 10:18 PM
If it helps cut down on assholes that don't want to go to the games and make some fat cash selling their tickets, I am all for them being taken down.

Selling a ticket for more than face value is a shitty move.

I agree. I use my season tickets but I know plenty of people who buy them every year just to re-sell them. It is BS. There are a lot of people who want to go to the games and they should be given the chance to.

Jimx29
10-18-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm ok with that point of view too, it's the lack of "not giving in" that ebay showed. I'm much happier when I hear of sites like google who's even shunned the FBI and not released any private info about people.

packinpatland
10-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Most of us who went to the PR Packer/Bear game bought our tickets thru resellers. Mine came from PackerFan Tours. Initial cost $64.00.........I paid $275 each. Why is 'legalized scalping' allowed? And what's the difference between what PFT or Fuzzy's does vs someguy on e-bay, or on the street?

MJZiggy
10-19-2007, 07:28 AM
According to what the Pats are saying, there is no difference between what the guy on the street vs. the professional ticket resellers do. I'd actually like to see more of a crackdown on this, not that I'm happy about seeing people's privacy invaded, but my kid asked 3 times if he could go to the Bears game with me and though I'd love to take him to a game at Lambeau, it would cost me his college fund just to take him. That's not right.

MadtownPacker
10-19-2007, 08:17 AM
According to what the Pats are saying, there is no difference between what the guy on the street vs. the professional ticket resellers do. I'd actually like to see more of a crackdown on this, not that I'm happy about seeing people's privacy invaded, but my kid asked 3 times if he could go to the Bears game with me and though I'd love to take him to a game at Lambeau, it would cost me his college fund just to take him. That's not right.How the fuck woudl it cost you his "college fund"?? PIPL just said $275 for a ticket and her seats where great. The one I sat in wasnt bad either for the $240. Quit being a cheapass. Im sure you have spent close to $200 on dumb shit several times.

ZachMN
10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I took my father, who has been a Packer fan since about 1950 and is responsible for me being a devoted follower, to the Cowboys game in'05 at Lambeau and it cost me about $900.00 bucks. It was steep but for me to be able to take him after his surviving a bout with cancer it was worth it. I see the Patriots point of view if they areseriousabout keeping the prices reasonable.

packinpatland
10-19-2007, 12:50 PM
I took my father, who has been a Packer fan since about 1950 and is responsible for me being a devoted follower, to the Cowboys game in'05 at Lambeau and it cost me about $900.00 bucks. It was steep but for me to be able to take him after his surviving a bout with cancer it was worth it. I see the Patriots point of view if they areseriousabout keeping the prices reasonable.

.....keeping prices reasonable......please :roll: The Patriots have the highest price base ticket in the league!

GBRulz
10-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Ok, so you go after stubhub, but then you still have tons of other ways that season ticket holders can resell their tickets. What are you going to do, go after each agency?

People are a often misled by the number of seats vs how many are held by season ticket holders. On average, I'd say 25% belong to them, the rest are given to media, the opposing team and those who do advertising in the stadium.

My suggestion on how to solve the problem of season ticket holders reselling tickets is to NOT mail them their tickets. Make them pick them up at the will call window the day of the game. In addition, an ID must be shown to match the person who holds the season tickets.

Even with my suggestion, there would still be alot of scalping and re-selling going on because of the large number of tickets that are still distributed through other means. But at least the season ticket holders will be in the hands of the right people, the true fans.

Joemailman
10-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't think it's logistically possible to have tens of thousands of fans show up at the call window to pick up their tickets on game day.

Perhaps you could mail out the tickets so that they arrive just a few days before the game. That would hamper the scalping process.

Tarlam!
10-20-2007, 04:06 AM
Well, how would I have gotton to see my beloved Packers with any of you if tickets weren't availablé through re-sellers?

I am torn over this. Whilst I absolutely want Michele to finally get her season tickets, the only way that might happen is if the Packers do a similar route as the Pats seem to be following.

That would mean no more possibility for me to see a game.

:?:

deake
10-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Well, how would I have gotton to see my beloved Packers with any of you if tickets weren't availablé through re-sellers?

I am torn over this. Whilst I absolutely want Michele to finally get her season tickets, the only way that might happen is if the Packers do a similar route as the Pats seem to be following.

That would mean no more possibility for me to see a game.

:?:
Looking at the bright side you may have been able to buy a ticket directly from the Packers without the markup and as long as we are changing the ticket buying process lets not let any Bear fans buy tickets.

GBRulz
10-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Tar - Of the 72,000 seats, only 16,000 of them are held by season ticket holders. There would most definitely still be scalping and ticket agencies out there reselling tickets. Like I mentioned before, season ticket holders account for far less tickets than people might think. So, you would still get your tickets. What this eliminates are the season ticket holders who aren't going to games, but simply reselling for a profit. Believe me, there are tons of them out there who do that.

PS, if Michele gets her season tickets that means that Tar always has access to a ticket at face value :wink:

Joe - 16,000 fans trying to get their tickets the day of the game isn't a big deal. Look how quickly they get 72,000 fans in through the turnstiles and security. Obviously they would need to install a different will call type setup, but it would work. I admit, I didn't think of this idea on my own, I read somewhere that this is what Bruce Springsteen does for all of his concerts. So, if it works for a crowd of 50,000 of concert goers, I'm sure 16,000 would be a breeze.

Tarlam!
10-20-2007, 10:04 AM
PS, if Michele gets her season tickets that means that Tar always has access to a ticket at face value :wink:

OK! Hand over that list of fans that sold their tickets to Bears fans NOW!

Scott Campbell
10-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Im sure you have spent close to $200 on dumb shit several times.

.....bail.

LL2
10-20-2007, 11:48 AM
The Packers should add another 10,000 seats to the side of the stadium that does not have luxury boxes. I believe it's the west side of the stadium. In the Packerrats logo it's on the right side of the picture. Those tickets should be sold only through the ticket box and not be season tickets. Not to say these tickets would be resold on line, but by not making them season tickets allows people a chance every year to get tickets. I thought of this when I was at the Chargers game. They could fully enclose the stadium and add more seats. There are more than enough fans to fill them up.

GBRulz
10-20-2007, 12:36 PM
The Packers should add another 10,000 seats to the side of the stadium that does not have luxury boxes. I believe it's the west side of the stadium. In the Packerrats logo it's on the right side of the picture. Those tickets should be sold only through the ticket box and not be season tickets. Not to say these tickets would be resold on line, but by not making them season tickets allows people a chance every year to get tickets. I thought of this when I was at the Chargers game. They could fully enclose the stadium and add more seats. There are more than enough fans to fill them up.

You are referring to the south end zone of the stadium, and yes they purposely left that open for future expansion. Whether that is more bowl seats, more private boxes or club seating. They also said something about leaving it open because it provides a more panaramic view for the people sitting in the boxes. Screw the box holders, they are only there for social purposes only :lol:

The Packers do set aside 4,000 tickets for each game for Brown County residents. You get these through a lottery type drawing. There hasn't been a year since the renovation that I haven't been chosen for tickets, so I'm pretty happy about that! Knock on wood.....

Him8123
10-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I never thought that I would ever say this...but I applaud the Pats for doing this. It`s about time someone did. It is absolutely ridiculous what these assholes charge for tickets making it incredibly hard for familes and fans to go to these games. It has gotten way out of hand.

Scott Campbell
10-20-2007, 01:49 PM
They also said something about leaving it open because it provides a more panaramic view for the people sitting in the boxes.

Ok, that's pretty funny. A panoramic view of what? The Green Bay skyline?

4and12to12and4
10-20-2007, 02:56 PM
I have scalped tickets to Lambeau and Wrigley plenty of times, oh, and BTW, I get all my music free from LimeWire, download it into a desktop folder, and then drag it into my Ipod. And sometimes, I don't wear my seatbelt. :roll:

Rastak
10-20-2007, 06:44 PM
They also said something about leaving it open because it provides a more panaramic view for the people sitting in the boxes.

Ok, that's pretty funny. A panoramic view of what? The Green Bay skyline?

Well yea, such as it is.... :wink:

deake
10-20-2007, 09:19 PM
[quote="GBRulz"]Tar - Of the 72,000 seats, only 16,000 of them are held by season ticket holders. There would most definitely still be scalping and ticket agencies out there reselling tickets. Like I mentioned before, season ticket holders account for far less tickets than people might think. So, you would still get your tickets. What this eliminates are the season ticket holders who aren't going to games, but simply reselling for a profit. Believe me, there are tons of them out there who do that.

So you are saying that 56,000 tickets are sold to or made available to advertisers, visiting teams and who else? Can you get a break down on that? Are they selling tickets in Chicago for the bears game? Do the who elses of the world sell their tickets?

GrnBay007
10-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I have scalped tickets to Lambeau and Wrigley plenty of times, oh, and BTW, I get all my music free from LimeWire, download it into a desktop folder, and then drag it into my Ipod. And sometimes, I don't wear my seatbelt. :roll:

Looks like we forgot to check your references before we let you in. :wink: :P

GBRulz
10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
So you are saying that 56,000 tickets are sold to or made available to advertisers, visiting teams and who else? Can you get a break down on that? Are they selling tickets in Chicago for the bears game? Do the who elses of the world sell their tickets?

Deake, I'm not sure of the official breakdown. Would be nice info to have though. All I know for sure is that there are 15,461 Green ticket holders and 10,817 Gold ticket holders. In addition, there are 4,000 tickets for Brown County residents for each game. I used to work for the telecommunications company that provides all the phone and internet service to the Packers and I know they got a bunch of tickets, too. So maybe about 5,000 tickets per game towards their advertisers? I know the visiting team used to get 500 tickets, but that was a few years back when the stadium capacity was only 60k. Not sure if that has changed.