PDA

View Full Version : Not So Fast Javon $$$

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
From PFT.

It looks like he gets an extra $1M this year, but no more than that until he's completed his rookie contract. And even then, there's possibly a complete lack of guaranteed money.

POSTTED 7:17 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 7:43 p.m. EDT, May 8, 2006

BRONCOS SECURE OPTION ON WALKER'S LONG-TERM DEAL

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that the Broncos are close to a new contract with receiver Javon Walker, who was acquired from the Packers during the draft for a second-round pick.

The deal is worth $40 million, and it includes $15 million in bonus money. The key, however, is that the "bonus" money is in the form of two option payments due in 2007 and 2008.

Under the agreement, there's a $10 million option bonus for 2007 and a $5 million option bonus in 2008. Unless the option bonus payments are guaranteed by base salaries (and our guess is that they aren't), the Broncos have the ability to cut the cord on Walker if, due to injury or otherwise, his performance in 2006 doesn't justify the significant investment that kicks in come next year.

To get the ability to part ways with Walker after only one season, the Broncos added a $1 million roster bonus to his $1.15 million salary. This means that his cap number for 2006 will be a manageable $2.15 million.

As Smith reports, Walker will earn $25 million from 2007 through 2009. However, Walker has to get there first. In an era where a deal primarily is judged by the amount of guaranteed money that the player gets, there's simply no guarantee that Walker will see a dime of the big-money portion of the deal.

KYPack
05-08-2006, 10:01 PM
OK

This makes some sense. There was no way the early reports were accurate. The "$15 million in garauntee money" report couldn't have been true. He'd have been the highest paid reciever in the game.

Unless he plays lights out, he'll be cut after next season.

Javon might join a bunch of guys that came close, but never did get paid.

Jimx29
05-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Him and Mandrich can get together after next year and party

MJZiggy
05-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Can't happen. Mandarich has a job these days.

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Go JWalk!

Walker told the Packers to take their job and shove it. I kind of admire that.

Now the True Believers are anxious that he might do well for himself elsewhere. Note the palpable sense of relief at a hint that Walker's contract might be less than advertised. Somebody, Sparkey I think, wished in another thread for a career ending injury.

The irony of the situation is that if Thompson had quietly (and wisely, in my opinion) renegotiated Walker's contract to market value one year ago, Walker would still be superman in Green Bay. 18 monthes ago he was arguably the best player on the team, a model of hard work, a physically impressive talent, the rising local hero.

pbmax
05-08-2006, 11:28 PM
M3 hinted after the trade that he and T2 had learned something about how to deal with these things in the future. Hinted that there was something different they would do. I'd like to see some enterprising reporter figure out what that is.

Did Sherman make overtures that they would redo the contract? Or would they redo the contract?

Walker has received an extra one million this season and the oportunity to make top five money for three years if they pick up the two option bonuses. And those are two big ifs. $10 million is a lot for a QB, see Drew Brees,not to mention a WR.

I believe that Walker would have made more money here and more of it guarateed if he had stayed and at some point, just refused to comment anymore. I think the same of McKenzie contract wise, although he stated there were other reasons to want out.

Bretsky
05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
M3 hinted after the trade that he and T2 had learned something about how to deal with these things in the future. Hinted that there was something different they would do. I'd like to see some enterprising reporter figure out what that is.

Did Sherman make overtures that they would redo the contract? Or would they redo the contract?

Walker has received an extra one million this season and the oportunity to make top five money for three years if they pick up the two option bonuses. And those are two big ifs. $10 million is a lot for a QB, see Drew Brees,not to mention a WR.

I believe that Walker would have made more money here and more of it guarateed if he had stayed and at some point, just refused to comment anymore. I think the same of McKenzie contract wise, although he stated there were other reasons to want out.

GREAT POINTS; as with the JW interview, the reporters runa fine line with reporting the stories and making them effective w/o pissing off the interviewees. I wonder what TT would have done differntly.

The pessimist in me wonders if TT had more personable skills could GB had signed JW to the same thing ?

GoPackGo
05-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Its a conspiracy

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/MMPH/230057.jpg

Tarlam!
05-09-2006, 02:01 AM
The irony of the situation is that if Thompson had one year ago, Walker would still be superman in Green Bay.

Oh how quickly some forget.

HH, you have a case of selective memory lapse. At what point do you assume TT was in a position to quietly renegotiate Walker's contract to market value?

The FACT is, Walker PUBLICLY hired Rosenhouse, who then PUBLICLY challenged the Packer organisation to ante up for his client and PUBLICLY began threatening with the said client withholding his services as per contractual obligations.

Walker and his agent left TT NO ROOM to "quietly" renegoatiate. Walker realized his mistake by then PUBLICLY firing his agent and PUBLICLY dissing the team.

This is, IMO, solely the fault of the Wide Rceiver and forgive me for smirking in my Johnnie Walker when I read he did all this crap just for a lousy million guaranteed. It so reminds me of MM, who also got diddly squat when he went to the Aints.